Gambo thinks the Suns should trade Amare

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Where did you buy your time machine?

And what a ray of sunshine this post is. At this point, why are you even a fan?

Look, I understand that the Suns are probably headed for a rough few seasons, but I just wanted to point out that this is probably the biggest doom and gloom post I've seen.

Don't worry, it will be worse next week. Next week most of the people here will petition to move the team to Boise.

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Lee won't get the max. For some reason, he seems to be vastly underappreciated. He could barely scrounge for a year deal with New York this season. He is a cost effective, EFFECTIVE player.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i want david lee. he's a stud, cost effective, cares about defense and rebounding, can play the 4 and 5, and nash would only make him better. trade amare for him now!!!

Lee is a better PF than Amare will ever be. When do you ever see Lee getting 5 rebounds in a game? He had 3 games where he had 6 or less (5) rebounds.. Amare? 13! (This season so far)

Lee's better than Amare. He may not be flashy but

a) team player
b) great on the glass
c) can score too in a high paced offense
d) better d than amare and improving

Oh boy. Here we go again with the Lee stuff. Guys, have you even see Lee's defensive #'s? We went through this last season. His defensive #'s dropped off the face of the earth when playing PF compared to Center.

If you get Lee it is to stabilize your rebounding. Not for defense. It's to keep some of the scoring that you lose with Amare....not for defense.

Lee's stellar defense?

Opponent Production per 48
Lee (playing Center)
Points - 21

Lee (playing PF)
Points - 50

It was the same last year. Lee struggles more on defense playing PF vs Center.

Even if you don't count last year.....the Knicks give up the 6th most points from the Center position in the NBA. He ranks 59th in the NBA in blocks.

Let's not make Lee something out he is not...a good defender.

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Talking about Lee.. Did you guys see the Mavs beat the Knicks by 50pts??? Ouch!!!

joshstmarie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Oh boy. Here we go again with the Lee stuff. Guys, have you even see Lee's defensive #'s? We went through this last season. His defensive #'s dropped off the face of the earth when playing PF compared to Center.

If you get Lee it is to stabilize your rebounding. Not for defense. It's to keep some of the scoring that you lose with Amare....not for defense.

Lee's stellar defense?

Opponent Production per 48
Lee (playing Center)
Points - 21

Lee (playing PF)
Points - 50

It was the same last year. Lee struggles more on defense playing PF vs Center.

Even if you don't count last year.....the Knicks give up the 6th most points from the Center position in the NBA. He ranks 59th in the NBA in blocks.

Let's not make Lee something out he is not...a good defender.

That being said, amare obviously isnt a world beater on defense either, and the difference you would see if we swapped the two would probably be minor IF anything at all on that end.
I think what most people are saying is that they would rather have lee over amare BECAUSE of the amount of money he is looking for. Not to mention Lee is a far superior rebounder.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Hahaha not to mention ofc that Lee is looking for max dollars himself.

Face it Lee is not an Amare replacement, it makes no sense. If we are going to invest money in him to keep him, we are worse than if we invest in Amare and we already are a lottery team.

So we will be one of the worst teams in the league with an aging roster and big contracts and nobody who could be rebuild around.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Pairing Lee and Lopez as our future front court would be horrible offensively.

joshstmarie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Pairing Lee and Lopez as our future front court would be horrible offensively.

Theres been alot of posts like this lately that are real headscratchers. Have you even watched Lee play? You do realize he has chris freakin duhon "feeding" him the ball right?

Last edited:

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Theres been alot of posts like this lately that are real headscratchers. Have you even watched Lee play? You do realize he has chris freakin duhon "feeding" him the ball right?

A lot of these people are just hanging on Amare's jock like he's god. All he has is O, he's the dumbest player on the Suns. :mulli:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score

He is an even worse defender than Amare yet you want him, it is mind boggling.

He is looking for big money that is why he signed just for one year, yet you think we could somehow get him for cheap when like 10 teams or so will have more cap space.

And all that is compared to Amare this season, which is by far the worst he has played in his career, but it is still better than Lee. If we trade Amare we better get some rebuilding pieces, not a quick fix for lots of money that doesn't improve our team or future.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
He is an even worse defender than Amare yet you want him, it is mind boggling.

He is looking for big money that is why he signed just for one year, yet you think we could somehow get him for cheap when like 10 teams or so will have more cap space.

And all that is compared to Amare this season, which is by far the worst he has played in his career, but it is still better than Lee. If we trade Amare we better get some rebuilding pieces, not a quick fix for lots of money that doesn't improve our team or future.

The Knicks don't want to keep Lee to keep cap space open for Lebron and another max. That's the only reason they didn't resign Lee to a longer and bigger deal, and its not that he signed for just one year to get a max contract so your just plain wrong there. I know Amare is better offensively than Lee but you must have banged your head on a metal pipe if you think Amare is playing better than Lee this season. Also you admit Amare is playing his worst so far in his career, even with a near MVP showing by Nash. That has to make you worry if you want to sign him to a max contract for many years. If the Suns can get better players than Lee in free agency, by all means do it. However, Lee definitely can be mentioned in the same sentence as Amare.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hetDbqTe1JU

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
He signed for just one because nobody else offered him the money he wants either but someone will this offseason.

Not to mention the Suns won't have that much capspace to compete even for Lee.

I am not against trading Amare as he seems desinterested in the Suns for some reason and seems to be less involved in our offense than ever before, that might be the reason in the first place however.

The Suns need players to build around, not good players like Lee that aren't great, have major holes in their game and will occupy a large part of our cap.

Lee over Amare makes us a worse team and we already will be a lottery team. Signing Lee who is just 2 years younger than Amare and keeping this team together makes us a still expensive team that has even less chance of just competing for a playoff spot.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That being said, amare obviously isnt a world beater on defense either, and the difference you would see if we swapped the two would probably be minor IF anything at all on that end.
I think what most people are saying is that they would rather have lee over amare BECAUSE of the amount of money he is looking for. Not to mention Lee is a far superior rebounder.

Minor??? Lee is a much worse defender from the PF position then Amare. Did you see the #'s he gave up last year when playing PF and this? Some of you are taking what he does at the Center position and making a huge leap that it would be the same if we switched him to PF when the #'s say the opposite.

Also, if you think Lee won't get max or close to max then tell me this? Since when did the NBA stop overpaying big men with huge contracts that have one shred of talent?

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
He signed for just one because nobody else offered him the money he wants either but someone will this offseason.

I am not against trading Amare as he seems desinterested in the Suns for some reason and seems to be less involved in our offense than ever before, that might be the reason in the first place however.

The Suns need players to build around, not good players like Lee that aren't great, have major holes in their game and will occupy a large part of our cap.

Lee over Amare makes us a worse team and we already will be a lottery team. Signing Lee who is just 2 years younger than Amare and keeping this team together makes us a still expensive team that has even less chance of just competing for a playoff spot.

Lee over Amare doesn't make us worse. Lee is scoring 1 PPG less than Amare with Chris Duhon at the point. And Lee works hard for his points too, its not like he gets wide open looks. I'm not saying Lee is bringing a championship to Phoenix but Lee doesn't make the Suns worse. I don't get what stats you see that can show them getting worse with Lee than Amare other than the hype factor which Lee has 0 of.

If the Suns can trade Amare and JRich and get some talent, get Lee and another starter we definitely can compete and retool at the same time. Again I seriously have nothing against Amare, I was always hyped when he was dunking on everyone for all these years. However, why be pretenders and not contenders? Resigning Amare for the max is the stamp for many more pretender seasons.

Last edited:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Please stop fooling yourself thinking that Lee is a better player than Amare. He is even worse defensively. He has no individual go to moves in the half court. The Suns offense would just be even more stagnant when they can't run which they haven't shown in a long time that they are capable of anymore.

How are we going to trade Amare and JRich for some talent and then have money to sign Lee for about 12M$??? Let alone signing another starter.

That's just ridiculous.

This team is so far away from competing it isn't even funny. Take a loot at Oklahoma and Memphis, they are the youngest teams in the league. They are already better than we are right now and in a totally different universe talent wise.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
It seems like a lot of people in this thread don't realize that a "max" contract for Lee would be considerable less money per year than one for Stoudemire.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
It would still be around 5 years at 70 or 80M$ or something like that.

Most likely the Suns couldn't even offer Lee that without getting rid of Barbosa or Richardson and letting Amare walk. And they might have to trade talent to get expirings for Richardson or Barbosa probably.

Not to mention that New York will likely resign him if they can't get Lebron, Wade or Bosh. And then sign another big name when the rest of their contracts expire in 2011.

cly2tw

Reaction score

Exactly.
Trade Amare if it is the best option the management sees. But by all means, trade Nash away to start rebuilding right away. And for a rebuilding team, you don't really need a Lee type of player to take over 10mil cap to start with.
As to Amare's numbers, he was not getting enough touches. The Amare-Nash 2-men game has increasingly been less effective. That's mainly due to Nash getting the proper defensive attention with most above-average teams these days. Good defense will channel Nash to make difficult passes or pass to where they wanted, or just challenge him to beat them by himself. Lee would offensively perform way worse under these circumstances than Amare. Or is anybody claiming that Duhon dominates the ball the same way Nash does!

In other words, I'd plead to the management, trade Amare but don't take on a 3rd-string high salary player like Lee or Deng (no more impact than Marion when he got the max with us) with long contracts, before we know where our 1st-tier players are. I'd take on the risk of having the 1st-tier players in Amare and Monta Ellis to start a rebuilding, but not Lee or Deng, while hoping for Clark to reach his maximum potential that's about Odom at most. What for?

Last edited:

joshstmarie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
. Lee would offensively perform way worse under these circumstances than Amare. Or is anybody claiming that Duhon dominates the ball the same way Nash does!

Arent you the guy who said lou is barely a lesser version of lee? and that in a year robin lopez will be better than berdiens?

Its hard to swallow any assumptions you might have anymore. And your theory that lee would do considerably worse here in phx than in NY is because we have nash?

I dunno man.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Who would you guys rather have, Amare or Al Jefferson?

krazyasiankid

Registered
Reaction score
Where did you buy your time machine?

And what a ray of sunshine this post is. At this point, why are you even a fan?

Look, I understand that the Suns are probably headed for a rough few seasons, but I just wanted to point out that this is probably the biggest doom and gloom post I've seen.

I can agree with him though. Why would teams want Amare via. a trade, if he is going to walk in the summer? the Suns should've tried to trade Amare sooner rather than later. I admit, I was against trading Amare last season, because he is my favourite player (and still is), but if he is going to walk, might as well trade him and get something in return.

Now it looks like it may be too late to trade Amare. Why would a team trade for a player for a half-season rental, unlress Amare chooses where he wants to go (and stay).

Suddenly that Chicago trade last season is looking pretty good. :sad::bang:

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Who would you guys rather have, Amare or Al Jefferson?

Depends on how much money they make. Amare at $12M per year is better than Jefferson at $12M per year. Jefferson at $12 mil per is better than Amare at $20M per.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I think Jefferson is the absolute worst fit for a run and gun team possible.

As long as we stay this Steve Nash type team, he'd be an awful fit.

Other than that he has the same injury concerns as Amare and I think his ceiling is much lower.
Amare is playing a bad season, he hardly uses his athleticism (which he still had evidenced by some huge plays post microfracture) this season anymore and seems to simply get less opportunities in the offense than in the past.

But I still think Amare can bounce back from this season when he is featured more. Maybe he also feels no appreciated by the team since the summer rumors and isn't giving it all anymore in a season like this.

When Amare plays to his limit he is clearly better imo regardless of what type of team it is.