Gambo thinks the Suns should trade Amare

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are probably 5 markets that can afford to risk a max or near max contract for a borderline superstar with injury risks. We're not one of them and therefore Amare goes elsewhere, IMO. We're not likely to get equal talent for him but we can't afford to let him just walk. If the front office thinks they can get more after the season in a sign and trade then fine, we should wait. But I really hope they don't drag their feet for a different reason such as attendance because that would be very shortsighted.

Steve

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
There are probably 5 markets that can afford to risk a max or near max contract for a borderline superstar with injury risks. We're not one of them and therefore Amare goes elsewhere, IMO. We're not likely to get equal talent for him but we can't afford to let him just walk. If the front office thinks they can get more after the season in a sign and trade then fine, we should wait. But I really hope they don't drag their feet for a different reason such as attendance because that would be very shortsighted.

Steve

Amare may very well go elsewhere as a free agent if we can't trade him.

It just won't be this summer.

Makeplays

Rookie
Reaction score
Amare can't jump out of the gym anymore and (6+14)/2 =10

I wish it was that good...you and I both know he doesn't average 10 boards a game...

he's @ 8.5

H@ll, Brook Lopez averages 9.5....

bottom line is rebounding is defense and if you take the Amare challege he clearly takes off many plays when he's not part of things....

One more parting shot..David Lee of the Knicks who's 6'9"

averages 11!!!
and still nabs 18+ ppg

who the heel is David Lee?

rebounding is all desire and effort!

Makeplays

Rookie
Reaction score
Trade for David Lee!

I'll take the 4 points less a game for 4 extra rebounds a game!

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something tells me Amare doesn't care that he will lose money by opting out. Part of me agrees with you guys and says that the logical thing to do would not to opt out. Wait until your a free agent. The other part of me really thinks he doesn't care and just wants out.

Oh....and there are ALWAYS teams willing to take the risk and pay him the max they can. There are alot of bad teams desperate for some star power and giving their team a name people can follow.

It is wishful thinking to assume there are no teams willing. There are in every league. It's proven almost ever single year.

Last edited:

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
Gambo is right that we need to trade Amare, but the trade he proposes is just asinine.

Amare has been pretty consistent this year and because of that, he could probably lull some GM into taking him on. I just hope it isn't Sarver.

I'm still on the David Lee kick. This makes 3 years for me. There's gotta be a way to put that together and wouldn't D'Antoni be game to have Amare back?

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You might want to hurry up and get the most out of that opinion because I think it's popularity might be fading. I saw him box out AND rebound a couple of times on the defensive end tonight. :D

Update: I just checked the box score and he had 9 defensive rebounds. What?

And Carl Landry had a career high 31 points and 5 offensive rebounds :)

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
in this economy and with wade/lbj, etc as freeagents in 2010 amare is not opting out.

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Logic may say that Amare doesn't opt out but his ego will defy logic and he'll be opting out the first chance he gets.

cly2tw

Reaction score
With the money we sign Amare we could sign better talents, say,

Lee/Barbosa
Brand/Barbosa
Biedrins/Barbosa
Gortat/Hamiliton(or Prince)

With them, I'm sure we had a chance to squeeze into playoffs as long as Nash dominates the ball. Very nice prospect.:bigyawn:

I also like to think that Kerr is much smarter and wouldn't end up signing Q, Banks with the cap available after trading Amare for TMac.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I am never in favor of trading a player for a worse player. Amare is a top 15 to 20 player IMO. Would I love to have a forward who is more committed on defense? Sure but we probably won't get one. So, the Suns should have tried to keep him.

Having said that it's too late. If the Suns were going to keep him they should have extended his contract already. Amare is going to opt out. There is no way in hell Amare is not going to opt out. So if your the Suns you have to trade him or get nothing back. You can't let a player of Amare's caliber walk without compensation.

Plus, if he opts out, you will not have enough cap space to sign a player of the same caliber as Amare. Stay tuned because if they let Amare walk that means they will have no choice but to start rebuilding again. Either that or they will have committed to mediocrity for the foreseeable future.

Sucks because it took as a long time to get a player like Amare in the front court. Without a trade...how long will the Suns be without a quality big man again?
We had one... His name was Kurt Thomas. Good players are hard to find.

Amare (if he chooses to walk) will be giving up a guaranteed 18 million or something close to that.

I give that possibility less than 10 percent. You don't give that up. He will get a max deal next year as well.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
With the money we sign Amare we could sign better talents, say,

Lee/Barbosa
Brand/Barbosa
Biedrins/Barbosa
Gortat/Hamiliton(or Prince)

With them, I'm sure we had a chance to squeeze into playoffs as long as Nash dominates the ball. Very nice prospect.:bigyawn:

I also like to think that Kerr is much smarter and wouldn't end up signing Q, Banks with the cap available after trading Amare for TMac.

Elton Brand? Seriously? That guy is damaged goods.

cly2tw

Reaction score
Elton Brand? Seriously? That guy is damaged goods.

That's my point. With the cap Amare's leaves us, you could do a lot worse with the likes of Penny and Brand.:(

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
We had one... His name was Kurt Thomas. Good players are hard to find.

Amare (if he chooses to walk) will be giving up a guaranteed 18 million or something close to that.

I give that possibility less than 10 percent. You don't give that up. He will get a max deal next year as well.

Sorry. I liked Kurt but he was no Amare. Come on. Kurt wasn't even a good defender against the elite forwards. He held his own against stiffs and was a better defender then Amare but let's not over blow how good Kurt was.

Heck, I bet you can't even get a Kurt caliber player in free agency if you let Amare walk.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Carl Landry is a great player and had a great night.
That proves Stoudemire is the laziest man in the NBA? :D

Had to one up me with the bigger smile didn't you :) .

No that doesn't prove Amare is the laziest player. And laziest may be an exaggeration, but honestly you should watch the guy play for 4-5 minutes straight. Look at him and no one else. You will see what I am talking about. Rarely bends his knees on defense, always lethargically chasing guys around pretending to try, not consistently boxing out. Just little things that were he to change, could make him incredible instead of just really good.

krazyasiankid

Registered
Reaction score
Okafor anyone? I think he would do a great job as a defensive minded center..

Okafor and a pick for J-Rich
The hornets need a sg after they did the cost cutting Rasual butler trade..

But the Suns will have to deal with Okafor's massive contract..

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
Okafor anyone? I think he would do a great job as a defensive minded center..

Okafor and a pick for J-Rich
The hornets need a sg after they did the cost cutting Rasual butler trade..

But the Suns will have to deal with Okafor's massive contract..

I realize that J-Rich can go a long way to help the NO Hornets in the 2 spot, but he costs more and the Hornets struggle with money issues. Also, from the Hornets perspective, who is the gap filler for Okafor? Hilton Armstrong? Finally, that #1 pick (today) would be a lottery pick.

The Hornets would be giving the Suns a big gift.

asudevil83

Reaction score
I realize that J-Rich can go a long way to help the NO Hornets in the 2 spot, but he costs more and the Hornets struggle with money issues. Also, from the Hornets perspective, who is the gap filler for Okafor? Hilton Armstrong? Finally, that #1 pick (today) would be a lottery pick.

The Hornets would be giving the Suns a big gift.

i agree that Okafor would be a nice addition to the team. my only issue is that we traded for JRich to get rid of Diaw's contract. getting Okafor kinda negates that because he was a longer contract for MUCH more money.

and i personally dont think that Okafor is worth anywhere near his contract...and at his current production he'd be a cap killer down the road, and nearly untradable.

lastly, i dont know how Okafor would affect our running game. Shaq hurt us pretty bad when it came to our high scoring, fast pace game.....and i would fear that Okafor would hurt us there.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
i agree that Okafor would be a nice addition to the team. my only issue is that we traded for JRich to get rid of Diaw's contract. getting Okafor kinda negates that because he was a longer contract for MUCH more money.

and i personally dont think that Okafor is worth anywhere near his contract...and at his current production he'd be a cap killer down the road, and nearly untradable.

lastly, i dont know how Okafor would affect our running game. Shaq hurt us pretty bad when it came to our high scoring, fast pace game.....and i would fear that Okafor would hurt us there.

IMO, there really isn't a C in the league right now that is worth his contract except for Dwight Howard or C's on a rookie contract. Teams normally over-spend for big men because the talented ones are hard to find. I would consider ridding ourselves of Richardson for Okafor because we would finally have a C that can play elite level D, can rebound and give you some low post offense. Okafor unlike Shaq would have no trouble in our running offense due to the fact that he is in much better shape and not as big. If we somehow lose Amare for nothing, having Okafor wouldn't leave us so thin in the frountcourt.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Channing Frye making just under $2M this year is a freakin' steal.

Offensively I agree. However, we are getting what we thought on the other end. He gets pushed around in the paint like a twig. Having said that.....nobody knew Frye could shoot the 3 like this....nobody.