Giants at the Cardinals gameday thread 9-17-23

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Why though?

How does winning with this roster help us next year?

How do teams rebuild? Through the draft and then FA. Lions, Jaguars, and Bengals are great examples.

Our roster is the worst in the league. You simply can't build a championship team being mediocre (especially starting with this roster and a top paid QB).

I hate to burst your bubble...we are tanking.

If we are not - then I question my own fandom with this organization. And I am 100% :koolaid:

First, I agree with you a billion percent that you build through the draft. If a dynasty in the NFL is possible, it's only through great drafting.

And why win games? I mean, there are lot of reasons. Losing is corrosive. FO and coaching staff jobs depend on it. And it's the reason you take the field in the first place (and I know you know that TheCardFan).

But If I could trouble you to please my friend. Tell me. If we're tanking in 2023...

Why make the move for Dobbs?

Last edited:

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
First, I agree with you a billion percent that you build through the draft. If an dynasty in the NFL is possible, it's only through great drafting.

And why win games? I mean, there are lot of reasons. Losing is corrosive. FO and coaching staff jobs depend on it. And it's the reason you take the field in the first place (and I know you know that TheCardFan).

But If I could trouble you to please my friend. Tell me. If we're tanking in 2023...

Trading for Dobbs is proof we're tanking imo

Reactions: PJ1

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
I’ve looked at the Giants‘ tape a couple of times. The game was more about a coaching failure than talent. As Mike Tyson said, “Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.“ The Boys delivered the punch early and the Giants’ coaches threw their plan out the window. They gave up on the run and became one dimensional. You can’t do that against a big team. I know the Cards defense played an excellent game. However, their blitz package has been seen now. The Giants will adjust, but mostly by ball control. Can the Cards stop the run? I’m skeptical. I think they’ll pressure Jones, but not as successfully as they pressured Howell. Jones will hurt them running. He’ll hurt them throwing. I predicted a 24-10 loss. Mostly because a NYG running game will use clock. It could be worse if Dobbs turns the ball over a few times. The Giants are not a great team. They’re barely a good team. The Cards aren’t even good. They’ll play hard, but the talent gap is too big. They’ll hang in early but wear down.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we come out of this game with a bit less optimism. As the weeks roll on and opponents gather film, our overachievement last week will prove to be a mirage.
This offense is going to stink. No Qb. A plodding rb and holes along the line. And yet there are some who are questioning our OC.
Murray would make everybody on offense better. But alas, he’s not here.

Giants 23
Cards 13
It won’t be this close as Cards score very late in the game.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Losing is corrosive. FO and coaching staff jobs depend on it.

Not this year - everyone knows what is going on. 1 year contracts, no real free agents, 2 potentially VERY high draft picks, etc.

I agree with you in 2024 and beyond.

If we're tanking in 2023...

I mean...it's not like we traded for Aaron Rodgers.

Dobbs sucks. I have no idea what is up with McCoy but I don't think they want to throw Tune to the wolves yet (long term development).

He is a logical choice because he knows the offense and you want to be competitive but again, everyone knows Dobbs sucks.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Not this year - everyone knows what is going on. 1 year contracts, no real free agents, 2 potentially VERY high draft picks, etc.

I agree with you in 2024 and beyond.

I mean...it's not like we traded for Aaron Rodgers.

Dobbs sucks. I have no idea what is up with McCoy but I don't think they want to throw Tune to the wolves yet (long term development).

He is a logical choice because he knows the offense and you want to be competitive but again, everyone knows Dobbs sucks.
Hindsight being 20/20, trading for Double A Ron would have been the ultimate tank maneuver.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
If we're tanking in 2023...

Because you have to be able to evaluate your roster as you tank and the coaches successfully made the argument that starting McCoy or Tune would inhibit the growth and/or evaluation of Wilson, Moore, McBride, and maybe even PJJ.

In the big picture, giving up the fifth isn’t a big loss; giving up anything for Josh Dobbs seems kind of dumb today when you’re basically buying a handful of additional days onboarding someone into the offense.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Because you have to be able to evaluate your roster as you tank and the coaches successfully made the argument that starting McCoy or Tune would inhibit the growth and/or evaluation of Wilson, Moore, McBride, and maybe even PJJ.

In the big picture, giving up the fifth isn’t a big loss; giving up anything for Josh Dobbs seems kind of dumb today when you’re basically buying a handful of additional days onboarding someone into the offense.

hmmm... Plausible, but ultimately not terribly compelling (at least not to me my friend).

When the best QB in the NFC returns to the lineup for ARZ, they'll be plenty of opportunity to evaluate those young players.

I'll agree to disagree with the tankers, though. I can see the other side of the debate.

StreetTruckinTitan

You talkin' to me?
Reaction score
Budda injured already? Not off to a good start after extending a undersized injury prone safety. Hopefully not par for the course this season...again?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
REDBIRDS!!!!!

Victory barbeque today fellas!!

Y'all hold it down while I get a shower and get to work.