Golden state @ Dallas

S_Nash

Funky Fresh
Reaction score
I'm afraid my favourite messageboard throughout the playoffs hasn't been this one. I've been lurking...

www.dallas-mavs.com.

I started reading just after the all-star break and some of the rubbish they were spouting was absolutely ridiculous. They were crowning themselves in February and didn't even consider Golden State as a threat. Even after game three, few were worried.

Then there's the whole Nash/Nowitzki MVP thing. A lot of them don't rate Steve Nash as an 'MVP-worthy' player. Just a great offensive PG. Using arguments such as, "Jason Kidd could run this team and we would still be as good." and that, "He plays with two all-stars." I still can't believe that people don't understand that there will never be another Steve Nash. No other player will be able to make the plays he does. He is just so good at making the right decision and getting the ball where it needs to be. As soon as he retires, we won't be able to execute the plays exactly as we see them now, no matter who our PG is.

Most of them also believe that they own the Suns, despite the fact, that in the last two years, we've split two playoff series that each went six games. Plus we split this year's season series.

I guarantee you they've come back down to earth now.

I wish you could all bask in their misery, but unfortunately their site is also down :D

I hope the Warriors end it on their home floor. So then Dallas can officialy carry the 'Biggest Chokers In NBA History' tag.

It couldn't have happened to a better team.

(Did I mention I HATE the Mavericks)

Last edited:

CaptainInsano

Reaction score
I'm afraid my favourite messageboard throughout the playoffs hasn't been this one. I've been lurking...

www.dallas-mavs.com.

I started reading just after the all-star break and some of the rubbish they were spouting was absolutely ridiculous. They were crowning themselves in February and didn't consider them a threat. Even after game three, few were worried.

Then there's the whole Nash/Nowitzki MVP thing. A lot of them don't rate Steve Nash as an 'MVP-worthy' player. Just a great offensive PG. Using arguments such as, "Jason Kidd could run this team and we would still be as good." and that, "He plays with two all-stars." I still can't believe that people don't understand that their will never be another Steve Nash. No other player will be able to make the plays he does. He is just so good at making the right decision and getting the ball where it needs to be. As soon as he retires, we won't be able to execute the plays exactly as we see them now, no matter who our PG is.

Most of them also believe that they own the Suns, despite the fact, that in the last two years, we've split two playoff series that each went six games. Plus we split this year's season series.

I guarantee you they've come back down to earth now.

I wish you could all bask in their misery, but unfortunately their site is also down :D

I hope the Warriors end it on their home floor. So then Dallas can officialy carry the 'Biggest Chokers In NBA History' tag.

It couldn't have happened to a better team.

(Did I mention I HATE the Mavericks

:rockon:

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm sure if they lose, Dirk will once again claim they were the best team in the playoffs.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score

www.dallas-mavs.com.

Can you even get the website up? I've been timing out all night since the game ended. I also believe they shut that sucker down after the first loss ... or recently, anyway.

Errntknght

Reaction score
What is Avery thinking in not having Howard guard Davis - he did in game 2 and Josh put the clamps on him. Now we get to see if GSW have any killler instinct...

HooverDam

Reaction score
What is Avery thinking in not having Howard guard Davis - he did in game 2 and Josh put the clamps on him. Now we get to see if GSW have any killler instinct...

Avery Johnson is a very experienced, and frankly, not very good basketball coach.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Avery Johnson is a very experienced, and frankly, not very good basketball coach.

I think AJ is a pretty good basketball coach, but I think he's running into the the two fatal flaws of the Mavs.

1. Dirk cannot move sideways and is very limited on defense. This means the Mavs cannot play small ball (they tried in game 1 and it was a disaster), but then they have to use poor offensive players like Dampier and Diop. This limits their offense, which is usually not a problem unless playing against a very potent offense like the Warriors.

2. The Mavs do not a real point guard. Terry and Harris are good one on one players, but neither can run an offense. Ordinarily that's not a problem, but against the Warriors swarming defense this has created a serious problem. For example, they cannot seem to get the ball to Dirk close to the basket unless he gets the rebound. Instead he is mostly taking contested jump shots.

The Warriors are a matchup nightmare for the Mavs. They might still pull the series out, but the Mavs have some real problems that AJ may not have a solution for.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Wow, I completely forgot this game was on tonight. Good job GS!

So Dallas is now in the same position as we were last year. It will be interesting to see how they will respond.

Last edited:

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Avery Johnson is over rated as a coach... he is too arrogant or inexperience or just stubborn as heck..

Miami beat them by slowing the game down letting players like Mourning, Shaq etc to be factors... They could of easily played mismatch ball... but played traditionally to give Miami a chance.. in which they took and never looked back..

Now...Avery Johnson again... making the other team play to their strengths... and not exposing mismatches in Mavs favour... instead its the Warriors who are playing the mismatch to their advantage...

Avery might lose his job if the Mavs gets beaten...

Sundance

Registered
Reaction score
Top-seeded Mavs on brink of first-round elimination

By ART GARCIA
STAR-TELEGRAM STAFF WRITER

http://www.star-telegram.com/287/story/85687.html

The Mavericks may have the MVP in Dirk Nowitzki. What they’ve been searching for is a voice.
“That’s one thing we have been missing,” Josh Howard said. “Not to take anything away from Dirk, it’s just like nobody’s really been saying much.”

They better speak up soon.

Djaughe

Reaction score
attachment.php

Djaughe

Reaction score
My photochop contribution fer this thread:

Attachments

• TITANICMAVS.jpg
    TITANICMAVS.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 214

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Possible captions for Djaughe's poster:

I believe that the choke will go on, or I am the King of the Choke!

:)

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
On another note, the threes by Dirk at the end of the game were sick. Too little too late but sick.

gdiddy

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to step aside here and say that the Mavs are not finished. Suns were in this same situation last year and everybody thought the Lakers were going to roll over Nash and company.

I will opine that the Mavs are not playing at their potential. They should be smothering the Warriors with their defense and should be accustomed to playing small ball--which, after all, is the reason they beat the Spurs last year in the semi's, right?

Expect the Mavs to get favorable calls and a win in game 5. Game 6 will be an all out slug fest. If Dallas can push it to 7, Dallas will win the series.

Djaughe

Reaction score
The fat lady has already been seen in dallas getting warmed up. :)

You must be registered for see images

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
On another note, the threes by Dirk at the end of the game were sick. Too little too late but sick.

They were nasty, but what about the 2 airballs that he threw up before those shots? ESPN will show the two bombs that he made all day long, but everyone fails to mention how he folded when his team needed him the most.

Furio

Rookie
Reaction score
It's funny lots of Maverick fans are already contemplating the off-season. Not to gloat but they're asking for a point guard. Someone to be Batman and Dirk to assume the position of Robin.

The series is not over yet, anything can happen, but it's not looking good for the Mavs.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
They were nasty, but what about the 2 airballs that he threw up before those shots? ESPN will show the two bombs that he made all day long, but everyone fails to mention how he folded when his team needed him the most.
Forgot about those.

And did you see him defending Biedrins when Baron Davis passed it to him under the basket from the three point line? Dirk looked bad on that one.

I forgot about the airballs.

cly2tw

Reaction score
I'm going to step aside here and say that the Mavs are not finished. Suns were in this same situation last year and everybody thought the Lakers were going to roll over Nash and company.

I will opine that the Mavs are not playing at their potential. They should be smothering the Warriors with their defense and should be accustomed to playing small ball--which, after all, is the reason they beat the Spurs last year in the semi's, right?

Expect the Mavs to get favorable calls and a win in game 5. Game 6 will be an all out slug fest. If Dallas can push it to 7, Dallas will win the series.

No. Mavs offense is just to disorganized to turn it around, matched up with an equally talented team like the Warriors. And their defense is overrated, they can't really stop potent offensive teams from scoring. Suns win against Lakers was due to fight, and more importantly the in-series growth of both Diaw and LB. Mavs are what they are now, a bunch a great athlets but no real concept to win for sure against the Warriors.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The one thing in this series driving me nuts as a Warriors fan is shot selection. Everytime the Warriors got control, they'd jack up a couple of wild 3's and fall behind. If Baron wasn't superman we'd have lost last night for that reason alone.

GSW has exposed the massive hole Dallas has in the middle when Diop or Damp is on the bench, just take the ball to the hole and score or get fouled.

Great game by Pietrus and really needed with Monta not playing well. If Al Harrington can just figure out that the court is spread and he needs to drive the ball to the rim, I'd be happy. I'm amazed we have 3 wins without Al doing a thing.