Green Names Warner his Starting QB

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
http://www.azcardinals.com/news/news_details.html?iid=2858

Green Names Warner his Starting QB

Arizona Cardinals head coach Dennis Green announced Wednesday his decision to name Kurt Warner as the team’s starting quarterback.

“With our team organized workouts starting up again next week, we’re entering an important phase in our preparation for the 2005 season,” said Green. “I think it’s important during this time that the leadership of the team is established and Kurt has clearly demonstrated that he’s one of our team leaders. From the day he arrived, that’s been evident by the way he performs on the field, the way he prepares himself, and the way he interacts with his teammates. We’re confident that he’s the right choice to be the starting quarterback and will play a big part in getting this team to the playoffs this year.”

Walter Mitchell

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Green: "Warner Starting QB"

The Cardinals issued a press statement this afternoon announcing that Dennis Green has appointed Kurt Warner as the team's startring QB. Green cited the way Warner has established himself as a leader before, during and after the minicamp.

Green also has hinted to the media in the past couple of days that J.J. Arrington could very well be the team's starting RB.

While it's been good that Green has previously stated that all starting jobs are an open competition, I think naming Warner the starting QB now was a good move. In a way, it's equivalent to appointing team captains well before the season starts in order to identify, reward and solidify the team's leadership.

From what Green said when he drafted Antrel Rolle, Rolle will be the team's starting LCB.

And recently Green gave high praise to 4th round gem Elton Brown, indicating that Brown has a legitimate chance to start at RG.

Based on Green's comments, here are the team's starters going into training camp (in parentheses are players that may win the job by game one):

QB Warner

RB Shipp (Arrington)

WR Fitzgerald, Boldin, Johnson

TE Edwards

T Davis, Ross

G Wells, Bridges (Brown)

C Stepanovich

DE Berry, Okeafor

DT Dockett, Davis (King)

OLB Dansby, Darling (Huff, Blackstock)

MLB Hayes (Huff)

CB Macklin, Rolle

S Wilson, Griffith

OP
OP
arthurracoon

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
Walter Mitchell said:
We must have been writing up our new threads at the same time.

The Cardinal smiles, Arthur!

:raccoon:

The Cardinal is DEFINATELY smiling now. I remember the last time this team had this much good pub was when they were 4-2 after beating the Cowboys 9-6 in OT.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NO WAY! What about all those silly assumptions being made? :D

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
arthurracoon said:
:raccoon:

The Cardinal is DEFINATELY smiling now. I remember the last time this team had this much good pub was when they were 4-2 after beating the Cowboys 9-6 in OT.

BIM: Definitely :)

Last edited:

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
:biglaugh:

Is anyone (other than the McCown kool-aders) really surprised?

I'm not surprised. I just hope Warner has a few good years (or at least one) left in him.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
OMG! SHOCK SHOCK!!! NO WAY!... I remember this time last year green named a starter and the guy was cut while packing up his car heading for training camp.:D

Seriously no surprise here.. I'm just glad it's over so the subject will die!

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
clif said:
OMG! SHOCK SHOCK!!! NO WAY!... I remember this time last year green named a starter and the guy was cut while packing up his car heading for training camp.:D

Seriously no surprise here.. I'm just glad it's over so the subject will die!

It will never die!!! As long as one person keeps winning the Super Bowl on Madden with McCown as QB. it will never die!!! :)

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Mulli808 said:
It will never die!!! As long as one person keeps winning the Super Bowl on Madden with McCown as QB. it will never die!!! :)

I know it will never die no matter what happens. :)

Can't wait to til when the games count again!

seesred

Reaction score
This is a clear message to the team.Green is all about winning. Not afraid to make choises and changes. This message is very clear. We must win this year and Warner gives us the best chance. Today it has become Kurt Warners team.

GBR
In Green we trust

SouthNZoneFan

GOOD FOR ME TO POOP ON
Reaction score
First off, I have to say OF COURSE.

Secondly, what happened to letting them be decided in camp?

Green has made a GREAT decision.

seesred

Reaction score
Compared to....

QB Warner---McCown McCown/King

RB Shipp (Arrington) Smith/ Hambrick/Scooby

WR Fitzgerald, Boldin, Johnson Same Fitz and Q hurt..Williams/Poole

TE Edwards Jones/Edwards/Diamond

T Davis, Ross Davis/Shelton/Clemente

G Wells, Bridges (Brown) SAme

C Stepanovich Same

DE Berry, Okeafor Berry Zellner/Pace/ VDB Pace should be better

DT Dockett, Davis (King) SAme King will see more time Plus Bryant

OLB Dansby, Darling (Huff, Blackstock) Darling/Thompson

MLB Hayes (Huff) Mckinnon /Hayes

CB Macklin, Rolle Hill/Macklin

S Wilson, Griffith Ohalete/Harris/Stone

Are we truly better? On paper it sures looks that way. Improved at corner, safety,MLB, DE, T, TE(at least with more hustle plays), WR if healthy, Running backs for sure, and the New leader at QB with a solid back up. It also appears that our special teams should be much better with the ability to give us field position.

GBR
In Green we trust

BigRedFan

Registered
Reaction score
Theres no reason to fake a QB competition if he has seen enough to make his decision. I dont think he will change this one later in the offseason.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BigRedFan said:
Theres no reason to fake a QB competition if he has seen enough to make his decision. I dont think he will change this one later in the offseason.

Yes because if we've seen anything in the one year of Green it's when he names a starting QB, he sticks to it. :D

Just being a smart A, I actually agree that barring injury Warner is likely going to be the starter all year, and I've assumed that since the day he signed.

If people look at Green's history in Minnesota they will notice he doesn't have a habit of keeping a QB around and giving him multiple shots as a starter, he changes at least one QB every year(did with the Vikings), if you're not moving up the chart, you're moving out the door with Green.

But that's a good thing, the writing is on the wall for Josh and Navarre, show improvement this year, or risk not being Cardinals next year.

:thumbup:

Rocco

All Star
Reaction score
Good. No divisive, distracting QB drama come training camp. It's Kurt's job to lose.

Green did the same thing last year, naming Josh the starter early, so there would be no question about who would be the qb. Of course that changed, at least for a few games, when Josh didn't quite get the job done. I'm sure the same rules apply to Warner too. Warner is the starter for as long as he's able to get the job done to Green's satisfaction.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Those living in the past of kendall, mccown, shipp, bryant, and the othe rmac boys must be about to jump off a bridge. They must think dooms day is upon us. 0-16!!!!! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good move, no surprise. I do like the timing, why play games put Warner in from day one!!

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
az jam said:
Good move, no surprise. I do like the timing, why play games put Warner in from day one!!

contrary to what some Josh guys thought - this decision was made months ago - whenever the day was we signed Warner. Whoever bought the idea of competition at camp was just fooling themselves from the start.

Let's just hope Warner has a return to form!

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don't bring in a QB for $4 million a year and expect him to warm your bench. If you want him to suceed you give him as many reps with the first team as possible. That means naming him your starter early on and I don't think this should surprise anyone.