Green Names Warner his Starting QB

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I'm just amazed there was a press release about Warner. I figured everybody knew that already. That's like announcing Rolle will be a rookie this year.

Free Advertising. Season ticket sales/renewals are going on right now and I believe single game sales start soon. QB is the celebrity on most teams. Get Warner's name and the Cardinals brand out there as much as possible.

chickenhead

Reaction score
For all we know Warner may have won the job pre-training camp simply by demonstrating his aptitude for the offense. I like Josh, love his attitude, and like having him as our backup. But I was more confident in Warner's ability to actually run the show, so this is not a surprise to me. Again, in watching all the Giants games Warner started, he did take a fair number of sacks, but I rarely saw him flustered.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
Toro said:
McCown will start more games than Warner in 2005. No need for your comments now. Let's revisit this in December. McCown will prove to be a much improved QB this year. Good NFL QB's are not made overnight.

Keep smoking buddy

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
jstadvl said:
we seem to be set. It does make a big difference going into camp.
Shipp/Arrington-will both get their carries, along with Hambrick and Hodgins.
Bryant johnson will be the difference maker for the receivers this year.
We all want to win. The baiting of people by backhanded insult, because they like what they've seen in a player is childish. SWD K-whine, c'mon. Can McCown help us? Yes. Being around Warner, and it seems they spend some time together, will be very good for him.
Can he step in and light it up? I've no doubt. Will he? sometimes I have doubts.
Will Warner be 80% of what he was? I'm hoping. Green made a good move so everyone can start getting used to each others nuances. There are little things each player does in every situation, that you have to know so you can protect each other. This is pee wee training. Know where the other guy has a tendency to go.
If we have a revolving door at O line again, Warner is in trouble.
My question to all of you that continue to slam McCown for no reason, this year, is why aren't you working in player evaluation for some NFL team? My own answer to that is you suck at it. Green wouldn't keep McCown if he thought the way some of you do.
Green has made mistakes with this team, including pulling McCown last year. His reason about the D was bogus, i talked to a couple of the D players and they said as much.
But, I don't think he's making a mistake naming some starters and puttting others on notice that he expects them to come in and make an impact.
This team is changing and for the better. Some of my favorite players, and some who are friends, aren't where I'd like them to be. But, they know and I know, it's about the team. Greens making decisions to put, what he sees right now, as the most competitive team he can on the field. I gotta go with him, until it's proven otherwise. I like McCown have been around him a bit, but, i want what's best for the team (and so does he). Greens doing the right thing right now.
What should happen is stopping the ******** backstabbing remarks to others for having a difference of opinion than you.
It's time to rise up, no matter who starts and fly with the Cardinals. We will win the division this year fellas.

Did you see Josh play last year. He was horrific. The only reason I'm on here right now was because I saw how horrible he was and had to go somewhere and say something about it. Denny is a great coach and he made the right decision pulling no production McCown. We were lucky to get those 2 wins in a row and Denny knew it.

We'll see if Josh can beat out Navarre for the number 2 spot. I have a feeling Denny likes Navarre as a QB better. More poise in the pocket and better vision.

jstadvl

R U gonna B My Girl
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I disagree

I don't think he was horrific. I do think the game was much faster than he was reacting.
No, he didn't make the right decision. Not only in my opinion, but many others as well. All across the football world.
Again, I'm glad Green is our HC. I'm glad he's making decisive moves early. But, don't be suprised, if given a chance, that McCown does well.
Everyone knows I like McCown. I'll stand up for him. But as Cheese once pointed out I can't let my personal feelings get in the way of reality.
Could he have played better? Yes. Could the whole offense have played better? yes.
Am I rooting against Warner? Hell no! I'm a Cards fan.
Am I rooting for McCown if he has to go in. Hell yes!
Horrific to me would be someone who- gave up, didn't grow, refused to do what the coaches were trying to teach him. I didn't see McCown do any of those. Did every area of his game progress the way we'd have liked? No. Did some of them? Yes.
Either way you look at it. Go Cards. I got $50.00 says Navarre doesn't see the field, in a regular season game, barring injury, before McCown does, JPlay.

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
jstadvl said:
I don't think he was horrific. I do think the game was much faster than he was reacting.
No, he didn't make the right decision. Not only in my opinion, but many others as well. All across the football world.
Again, I'm glad Green is our HC. I'm glad he's making decisive moves early. But, don't be suprised, if given a chance, that McCown does well.
Everyone knows I like McCown. I'll stand up for him. But as Cheese once pointed out I can't let my personal feelings get in the way of reality.
Could he have played better? Yes. Could the whole offense have played better? yes.
Am I rooting against Warner? Hell no! I'm a Cards fan.
Am I rooting for McCown if he has to go in. Hell yes!
Horrific to me would be someone who- gave up, didn't grow, refused to do what the coaches were trying to teach him. I didn't see McCown do any of those. Did every area of his game progress the way we'd have liked? No. Did some of them? Yes.
Either way you look at it. Go Cards. I got $50.00 says Navarre doesn't see the field, in a regular season game, barring injury, before McCown does, JPlay.

Its ok jst Im a huge Golota fan, so I know what it feels like to always rout on an awful player/boxer what have you.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
jstadvl said:
We all want to win. The baiting of people by backhanded insult, because they like what they've seen in a player is childish. SWD K-whine, c'mon. Can McCown help us? Yes. Being around Warner, and it seems they spend some time together, will be very good for him.
Can he step in and light it up? I've no doubt. Will he? sometimes I have doubts.
Will Warner be 80% of what he was? I'm hoping. Green made a good move so everyone can start getting used to each others nuances. There are little things each player does in every situation, that you have to know so you can protect each other. This is pee wee training. Know where the other guy has a tendency to go.
My question to all of you that continue to slam McCown for no reason, this year, is why aren't you working in player evaluation for some NFL team? My own answer to that is you suck at it. Green wouldn't keep McCown if he thought the way some of you do.
Green has made mistakes with this team, including pulling McCown last year. His reason about the D was bogus, i talked to a couple of the D players and they said as much.
But, I don't think he's making a mistake naming some starters and puttting others on notice that he expects them to come in and make an impact.
This team is changing and for the better. Some of my favorite players, and some who are friends, aren't where I'd like them to be. But, they know and I know, it's about the team. Greens making decisions to put, what he sees right now, as the most competitive team he can on the field. I gotta go with him, until it's proven otherwise. I like McCown have been around him a bit, but, i want what's best for the team (and so does he). Greens doing the right thing right now.
What should happen is stopping the ******** backstabbing remarks to others for having a difference of opinion than you.
It's time to rise up, no matter who starts and fly with the Cardinals. We will win the division this year fellas.

:standingovation::thewave: :fans::standingovation:

BigRedFan

Registered
Reaction score
Im one of the few that agreed with the benching. 90 yards? Come on. They won that game with defense. Saying they would have made the playoffs otherwise is a huge stretch at best, they were not a playoff caliber team last year with or without McCown. But having said that, I hope he tears up the field if given the chance and he did play a great game against the Rams.

JPlay said:
Did you see Josh play last year. He was horrific. The only reason I'm on here right now was because I saw how horrible he was and had to go somewhere and say something about it. Denny is a great coach and he made the right decision pulling no production McCown. We were lucky to get those 2 wins in a row and Denny knew it.

We'll see if Josh can beat out Navarre for the number 2 spot. I have a feeling Denny likes Navarre as a QB better. More poise in the pocket and better vision.

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
jstadvl said:

Preach on brotha!!! :notworthy

jstadvl

R U gonna B My Girl
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Thanks SWD

It's nice to have someone feel my pain. Even if their verbage and mine aren't the same in our discriptive terms. lol

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I gotta say - I'll be surprised if Josh gets on the field thisyear and it has nothign to do with Warner's injuries. It has everything to do with John Navarre and right or wrong, John is Denny's guy and if you notice - when talking about the back-up QB position, Denny talks about BOTH Josh and John.

I think they signed Josh to the tender because they didn't know what was going to happen with Warner so if they whiffed, they would at least have a competition between John and Josh for the starting spot. But knowing DG's preference and his belief in guys he drafted, I will actually be surprised that even barring injury to Kurt, JOsh ever sees the field this year.

Just my two cents.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
I gotta say - I'll be surprised if Josh gets on the field thisyear and it has nothign to do with Warner's injuries. It has everything to do with John Navarre and right or wrong, John is Denny's guy and if you notice - when talking about the back-up QB position, Denny talks about BOTH Josh and John.

I think they signed Josh to the tender because they didn't know what was going to happen with Warner so if they whiffed, they would at least have a competition between John and Josh for the starting spot. But knowing DG's preference and his belief in guys he drafted, I will actually be surprised that even barring injury to Kurt, JOsh ever sees the field this year.

Just my two cents.

You could be right cheese. But, man, Navarre's footwork was horrible at the FanFest practice. It looked like he was stomping baby rabbits to death.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
You could be right cheese. But, man, Navarre's footwork was horrible at the FanFest practice. It looked like he was stomping baby rabbits to death.

maybe he was on acid.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
BigRedFan said:
Im one of the few that agreed with the benching. 90 yards? Come on. They won that game with defense. Saying they would have made the playoffs otherwise is a huge stretch at best, they were not a playoff caliber team last year with or without McCown. But having said that, I hope he tears up the field if given the chance and he did play a great game against the Rams.

I totally agree. The team wasn't good enough to be playoff caliber and the offense was awful. McCown just isn't good. He should have been better with it being his 3rd year in the league. There are a lot of QBs with less experience who were better. He had the second lowest QB rating last year. I'm not sure why people like him. I have friends from Michigan and I tell them that Cards fans still want McCown as QB, and their like WTF, why?? And I really don't have an explanation

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
jstadvl said:

I think that this is where we disagree, dvl. You think that Josh McCown could have played better last season. Personally, I don't. I think that the Josh McCown we saw last season, the one that stunk up the field, sulked, couldn't put points on the board, couldn't lead the team, and couldn't make a potentially dynamic offense run was the Josh McCown that's always going to be.

If Denny Green believed that the whole offense could have played better, he wouldn't have replaced the RB, QB, OG, RT, and TE. That's nearly half the offense right there. If he believed that all the players were talened and driven enough to succeed, he would have let them play another season to reach their potential. Instead, 5/11s of our offense is/was looking for new jobs.

And that's indisputable.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
If Denny Green believed that the whole offense could have played better, he wouldn't have replaced the RB, QB, OG, RT, and TE. That's nearly half the offense right there. If he believed that all the players were talened and driven enough to succeed, he would have let them play another season to reach their potential. Instead, 5/11s of our offense is/was looking for new jobs.

And that's indisputable.

I sort of agree with you but don't follow your logic. If Green felt Josh was the problem why did he replace the RB, OG, RT and TE as well? And why is Josh the only guy who got replaced who's still on the roster?

I agree that Green completely misjudged Josh and now realizes it, but I think he was pretty much surprised with the offense as a whole, from Wood's job as OC right on down I don't think Green had any idea how bad the offense would play and that's why he made so many changes this year.

I think Green is giving Josh one more year as the main backup to prove that he CAN take his considerable physical talents, and put them to good use. If he doesn't see any progress when Josh does play, which is pretty likely given Warner's recent injury history, then Josh is gone next year.

I don't really buy that Green is all that high on Navarre, if he was John would already be the backup. I think he made that switch last year because he was pissed, pissed at the play of the offense, pissed at the play of King when he got the chance, and pissed at all the guys on ESPN and FOX calling him out for benching Josh. I think he wanted to make a point, I'm in control, I'll make the decisions, and I don't really care who agrees with me.

Remember even the guys on the roster were surprised at the Navarre start, it wasn't like a bunch of guys came out and said well he's looked really good in practice recently I am happy for him. He'd done nothing but run scout team(under Green) all year.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
I think that this is where we disagree, dvl. You think that Josh McCown could have played better last season. Personally, I don't. I think that the Josh McCown we saw last season, the one that stunk up the field, sulked, couldn't put points on the board, couldn't lead the team, and couldn't make a potentially dynamic offense run was the Josh McCown that's always going to be.

And that's indisputable.

What's "indisputable" is the contradiction between the premise in para. 1 and that in para. 2.

If, as you say - the offense from last year was "potentially dynamic", Green wouldn't have made the wholesale (5/11) changes in this off season. Green, unlike you - is not prepared to turn his back on Josh as he did with the others who left. A 1.3M contract to Josh is a clear indication that Green still has a degree of confidence in his ability to grow in this league.

And, it should be noted that there was an all-important 6th. dismissal from last year's offense. the OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR.

P.S. I'm more than happy to have Warner at the helm at this point.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:

And that's indisputable.

As Russ and CC said. Why didn't DG replace Josh if he was so bad?

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
40yearfan said:
Um, Green did replace Josh. Three times in the last year in fact. That tells me that DG thinks of McCown as nothing more than a backup QB.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
40yearfan said:

He did bench him, he just didn't get rid of him yet like he did with the other guys he replaced.

Believe me I'm not saying Josh played well and I'm not saying Green doesn't think Josh had a lot to do with the offensive stinkfest, I'm convinced he does think that.

I just think Green figured it's pretty tough to replace all 3 QB's in one year and who knows how much longer Warner will be around, so he kept both Josh and Navarre for one more year just hoping one of them will blossom.

Sort of like how when you get a crappy hand in video poker you keep the card Jack or higher hoping you get lucky and get another one in the next draw.

Josh has a lot of improvement to show this year if he wants to play for us again next year.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Um, Green did replace Josh. Three times in the last year in fact. That tells me that DG thinks of McCown as nothing more than a backup QB.

I'm talking about replacing him as a QB and getting someone else. I guess I should have said drop him like he did LJ and Thompson.

BigRedFan

Registered
Reaction score
I think with all the other holes that were at other positions, he decided it would be best to fill those first while seeing how these QBs pan out. And another backup which would have been a significant improvment over these two would have been too expensive. It cant all be done in a year; I think the plan is to pick QB of the future next year. Unless McCown gets significant playing time and improves significantly, he will probably not be back next year.

Russ Smith said:
He did bench him, he just didn't get rid of him yet like he did with the other guys he replaced.

Believe me I'm not saying Josh played well and I'm not saying Green doesn't think Josh had a lot to do with the offensive stinkfest, I'm convinced he does think that.

I just think Green figured it's pretty tough to replace all 3 QB's in one year and who knows how much longer Warner will be around, so he kept both Josh and Navarre for one more year just hoping one of them will blossom.

Sort of like how when you get a crappy hand in video poker you keep the card Jack or higher hoping you get lucky and get another one in the next draw.

Josh has a lot of improvement to show this year if he wants to play for us again next year.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
40yearfan said:
I'm talking about replacing him as a QB and getting someone else. I guess I should have said drop him like he did LJ and Thompson.

Hedging his bets - if they didn't tender him and they lost out on Warner, all they'd have at QB would be Navarre. They had to have a back-up plan and at least be able to have two QBs on the roster who knew the system to battle it out at camp.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan