James Harden Traded to Houston

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
The NBA is all about stars. You have a 7-8 player rotation in the NBA usually. Role players are dime a dozen it's all about having stars in the NBA.

Having Harden and picks is a better starting point than having a bunch of quality role players and picks but no star.

The Suns could not afford to give up the quality of picks that Houston gave up for Harden, but imo better role players and they could have taken on salary. Who knows if they could have made a better offer based on that it just seems they did not try particular hard.

The thing that depressed me most about the upcomming season is that the Suns told OJ Mayo they plan to build around Dragic and Dudley. That is just pathetic. At best that is lip service to the seemingly big support from some fans for these two players.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
thread drive by:

Why would Harden sign up for getting the max with the Suns if the rest of the roster is TBA?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
thread drive by:

Why would Harden sign up for getting the max with the Suns if the rest of the roster is TBA?

Why would he sign for the max with Houston and their current roster?

Even with a potential trade -

Dragic > Lin
Beasley > Asik

We would also have plenty left to build around him. Look at the contracts going around. Would you rather pay Steph Curry 11 per year, or James 15 per? Ty Lawson 12 per, or James 15?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
We can postulate all we want, but this trade came down to the draft picks. OKC got some good ones from Houston and wouldn't have gotten ones as good from us.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Why would he sign for the max with Houston and their current roster?

Even with a potential trade -

Dragic > Lin
Beasley > Asik

We would also have plenty left to build around him. Look at the contracts going around. Would you rather pay Steph Curry 11 per year, or James 15 per? Ty Lawson 12 per, or James 15?

Steph Curry is a bargain at his price if the ankle issues can be worked out.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Steph Curry is a bargain at his price if the ankle issues can be worked out.

That's a huge if, and his contract reflects as much. I'd much rather pay for the certainty of a Harden, and a bit of a premium at 15 mil.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I cannot fathom a trade the Suns could have made while attaching ZERO picks that the Thunder would have found appealing. Lamb is a more valued prospect than anyone on our roster, the Toronto pick is a lotto guaranteed pick. For the Suns to beat that trade offer we would have had to offer multiple picks with limited guarantees.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I cannot fathom a trade the Suns could have made while attaching ZERO picks that the Thunder would have found appealing. Lamb is a more valued prospect than anyone on our roster, the Toronto pick is a lotto guaranteed pick. For the Suns to beat that trade offer we would have had to offer multiple picks with limited guarantees.

Id like to think that Gortat, Dudley, Morris have a higher value than Martin and Lamb. Maybe not to OKC directly but sometimes trades require creativity turning those pieces to other teams for assets OKC covets.

Anyway it is done now, Harden also just agreed to 5yrs/80M$ with Houston which saves us offering him a contract next year only to be matched obviously.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't fathom Harden being worth a 5 year, 80M contract. I do not like sinking this kind of money in guards unless they are truly superstars. IMO, Harden has not proved he is in that category.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know, I kind of agree with Slin.

Maybe you didn't focus on the same part of his post that drew my attention.

Originally Posted by slinslin
No lotto picks but as far as I am concerned they could have had any combination of players on our current roster for Harden which I think could have netted a better value trade for OKC than what they got from Houston.

Gortat, Dudley, Dragic for any combination of players surrounding Harden? Done. Gortat, Dudley, Morris, Dragic? Done.

Harden, Beasley and 10 D-League players plus our future picks would be a better future for us than what we have right now imo.

There's no way in the world that OKC would have sent Harden and enough salaries to match either of slin's suggested trades. And, without the draft picks it just doesn't have the bang that the Houston trade did. Also, would you really want to watch Harden, Beasley and 10 D leaguers? Gortat is worth a lot more to us than he would be to OKC and without him, Duds and our point guard, a Harden/Beasley combo would be unviewable IMO.

Steve

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Id like to think that Gortat, Dudley, Morris have a higher value than Martin and Lamb. Maybe not to OKC directly but sometimes trades require creativity turning those pieces to other teams for assets OKC covets.

Anyway it is done now, Harden also just agreed to 5yrs/80M$ with Houston which saves us offering him a contract next year only to be matched obviously.

I cant imagine Presti moving Harden without getting some premium draft value, someone we both agree the Suns should have been unwilling to offer. OKC moved Harden for financial reasons, so for them to get premium value AND not take back much in contracts basically requires it to be centered around young up and comers and draft picks.

They got a more valuable young player than any on our roster, they got a big expiring which they can move for even more value and the picks... Even bringing in a 3rd team, its really hard to fathom how the Suns could trump that offer without giving up picks.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Westbrook would have gotten the Rose deal. You don't have to believe me but again that came from someone who works with Westbrook's dad. He knew that deal was going to be on the table if he qualified for it, but he chose to take the max deal.

I wouldn't take Westbrook's camp's word for what the Thunder would have done. Again Westbrook signed for more than any other team could offer him, Harden just wanted what he would have gotten from every team with cap space.

If you're one of the top X players in the league you are probably going to get a max deal, Durant and Westbrook certainly didn't play hardball one waived the option, the other gave up the chance to get an extra 3 million a year.

Both got more than they could have gotten anywhere else. Durant did a solid for the team by waiving his option, but both signed for the absolute most they could at the time they put their names on the contract.

Bill Simmons wrote a piece where he talks about Harden sacrificing shots and minutes to make things work and how they then wanted him to sacrifice money too. Again, he was helping the team win games, that's supposed to be the goal not how many shots you get up or minutes played. But when it came time to do that again, he chose the money and being the man.

Not saying that makes him evil, but that's what he did, he chose to pursue more money and being the main guy over being on a team that would be contending for the finals for the next several years.

Right, Harden was already sacrificing more than anyone on the team by playing a reduced role than what most around the league project he could. You want him to give up money in addition to that, seems unreasonable.

Simmons also reports that Harden did consider taking the lesser offer as long as it had a 15% trade kicker(so he can recoup lost money if the Thunder traded him). The Thunder's reluctance to do so makes me question their commitment to keeping Harden long term.

There's no guarantee the Suns were going to win anything anyways.

You're the one that implied JJ took money over winning

Maybe they won't be right on Harden but unless you can say with a straight face he has as good a chance of winning a Title in Houston as he did staying in OKC, then it's completely accurate to say he chose the money over winning.

And the Thunder chose money over winning as well. All the players salaries contribute to the tax not just Harden's so it's unfair to put the burden on him. Perhaps the penalties wouldn't have been so bad had they not overpaid Perkins to the point of him being an amnesty candidate.

Your implication earlier in the thread was that Harden should just sign since it was only a few million less(easy for you to say), when now he just signed a contract worth 20million more than what he was asking to stay with the Thunder and his next contract will be based on the one he just signed(assuming he retains his value).

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
There's no way in the world that OKC would have sent Harden and enough salaries to match either of slin's suggested trades. And, without the draft picks it just doesn't have the bang that the Houston trade did. Also, would you really want to watch Harden, Beasley and 10 D leaguers? Gortat is worth a lot more to us than he would be to OKC and without him, Duds and our point guard, a Harden/Beasley combo would be unviewable IMO.

Steve

I'm not saying that any of Slin's suggested trades would have been great, but I also find it difficult to believe the Suns couldn't have put together a package at least as attractive as Houston.

Martin is essentially a throw in with one year left on his deal, Lamb is a decent prospect, but nobody that NBA execs are salivating over, and a Dallas pick that is top 20 protected as well as a Toronto pick that is protected as well.

You're telling me a combo of Dudley/Gortat, along with some of our protected draft picks isn't better?

I also don't see how you don't think that Gortat would be valuable for OKC. He'd definitely start, and Dudley could either start or come off the bench. OKC certainly has a couple contracts to make the #'s work.

Yes, Harden is a risk and expensive, I just don't see how anyone proposes the Suns get back to relevance.

By signing the floatsam we did this offseason and hoping we strike gold? By hoping some top flight free agent wants to sign here with the "talent' we have?

We need stars, and until we get them, we'll remain irrelevant. Harden may not be perfect, but he'd certainly be a step in the right direction.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying that any of Slin's suggested trades would have been great, but I also find it difficult to believe the Suns couldn't have put together a package at least as attractive as Houston.

Martin is essentially a throw in with one year left on his deal, Lamb is a decent prospect, but nobody that NBA execs are salivating over, and a Dallas pick that is top 20 protected as well as a Toronto pick that is protected as well.

You're telling me a combo of Dudley/Gortat, along with some of our protected draft picks isn't better?

I also don't see how you don't think that Gortat would be valuable for OKC. He'd definitely start, and Dudley could either start or come off the bench. OKC certainly has a couple contracts to make the #'s work.

Yes, Harden is a risk and expensive, I just don't see how anyone proposes the Suns get back to relevance.

By signing the floatsam we did this offseason and hoping we strike gold? By hoping some top flight free agent wants to sign here with the "talent' we have?

We need stars, and until we get them, we'll remain irrelevant. Harden may not be perfect, but he'd certainly be a step in the right direction.

I might agree if Harden was Durant, instead he's more like a super-Dudley. We'd be paying him the max and we'd be picking up an albatross contract or two in addition to parting with Gortat and whoever/whatever else we had to part with. I just don't see that as an improvement over what we have now in the short term and I think it's a huge step down in the long run.

We do need stars but you're talking about giving up current assets, future assets and a huge chunk of our cap for a player that can't dominate the game. He can't even dominate his position. I like Harden and I'd love to add him to a nearly finished product but I just don't think you can build around him when the cost is so exorbitant.

I guess maybe this hinges on just how good of a player you consider Harden to be. If you think he's right there with the best in the game, this kind of gamble might work. I just don't think he's at that level.

Steve

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I might agree if Harden was Durant, instead he's more like a super-Dudley. We'd be paying him the max and we'd be picking up an albatross contract or two in addition to parting with Gortat and whoever/whatever else we had to part with. I just don't see that as an improvement over what we have now in the short term and I think it's a huge step down in the long run.

We do need stars but you're talking about giving up current assets, future assets and a huge chunk of our cap for a player that can't dominate the game. He can't even dominate his position. I like Harden and I'd love to add him to a nearly finished product but I just don't think you can build around him when the cost is so exorbitant.

I guess maybe this hinges on just how good of a player you consider Harden to be. If you think he's right there with the best in the game, this kind of gamble might work. I just don't think he's at that level.

Steve

Fair enough, most of this is dependent on how you view Harden.

Considering he's a two guard who can create his own shot and set up others, (while also being a decent defender) I think he's a guy you can build around. You'll need two other star caliber players, but I also think there are plenty of guys that would want to play with James, and with a top 10 (hopefully 5) pick, you'd at least have 2 guys you feel you can build around.

At the very least, you'd have 1, which is better than our current 0.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't take Westbrook's camp's word for what the Thunder would have done. Again Westbrook signed for more than any other team could offer him, Harden just wanted what he would have gotten from every team with cap space.

Both got more than they could have gotten anywhere else. Durant did a solid for the team by waiving his option, but both signed for the absolute most they could at the time they put their names on the contract.

Right, Harden was already sacrificing more than anyone on the team by playing a reduced role than what most around the league project he could. You want him to give up money in addition to that, seems unreasonable.

Simmons also reports that Harden did consider taking the lesser offer as long as it had a 15% trade kicker(so he can recoup lost money if the Thunder traded him). The Thunder's reluctance to do so makes me question their commitment to keeping Harden long term.

You're the one that implied JJ took money over winning

And the Thunder chose money over winning as well. All the players salaries contribute to the tax not just Harden's so it's unfair to put the burden on him. Perhaps the penalties wouldn't have been so bad had they not overpaid Perkins to the point of him being an amnesty candidate.

Your implication earlier in the thread was that Harden should just sign since it was only a few million less(easy for you to say), when now he just signed a contract worth 20million more than what he was asking to stay with the Thunder and his next contract will be based on the one he just signed(assuming he retains his value).

I didn't say he wouldn't get a max deal somewhere else, that's why he refused OKC's offer. I said he chose that over being on a title contender.

the Suns may have been a contender or may not, but they were better than the Hawks at that time they just weren't willing to offer Johnson as much. He hasn't been on terrible Hawk teams but he had a better chance to NOW if he'd stayed with the Suns.

Again how is Harden "sacrificing" anything if he stays with OKC in terms of basketball? he's not playing more minutes because he's on a team that's good enough he doesn't get those minutes. they're not keeping him on the bench to be mean to him, he's simply not good enough to take minutes away from Westbrook, Durant and even bury Sefalosha on the bench. The best thing for the team was to use him the way they were using him, the goal was to win games, not pad James Harden's stats.

Now if OKC said during the negotiations look you're not even scoring 20PPG etc, then I'd feel differently but at least for now nothing of that sort has come out. That's why I always hated arbitration in baseball. A team is forced to spend days beating the crap out of a player about what he can't do trying to get the arbitrator to rule in the teams favor. No matter who wins, the team loses because the player is still mad about what they said to the arbitrator. If OKC was doing that to Harden then I'd be more mad at them.

So far he hasn't said anything to suggest that was true, he knew they wanted him, he knew they valued him greatly, enough to guarantee they'd go into the luxury tax with the offer they made, it just wasn't as much as he wanted.

He got an average of 16 million per, turned down 13.25, so he got 2.75 more per year, plus an extra year. That's about what I said just slightly more he wanted about 15 million per from OKC, and got 16 from Houston.

harden's a very good player, Houston flat out overpaid him. If OKC had given him the 4 year max they would have overpaid him too.

Yes it will hurt OKC on the court right now, and yes they overpaid Perkins but doing it again serves what purpose?. The day the Lakers got Howard, unfortunately Perkins became more valuable to them.

IN a sense if Harden wants to blame anybody blame the lakers. If they don't get Howard, OKC probably amnesties Perkins and gives him his max deal. But James Harden can't guard Dwight Howard.

All I can say is 5 years from now if I read an article saying Harden wants to sign with XX because he wants a chance to win a title, my first thought will be should have taken that offer from OKC you might have 1 or more by now.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I didn't say he wouldn't get a max deal somewhere else, that's why he refused OKC's offer. I said he chose that over being on a title contender.

You said he refused to to sacrifice financially when every one else on the team had already sacrificed financially. Durant and Westbrook both signed for more than they could have gotten anywhere else. Collison and Ibaka signed mutually beneficial deals. Harden just wanted what he was able to get on the open market.

the Suns may have been a contender or may not, but they were better than the Hawks at that time they just weren't willing to offer Johnson as much. He hasn't been on terrible Hawk teams but he had a better chance to NOW if he'd stayed with the Suns.

JJ is making about 22million per year for the next 4 years. I'd rather have had his career than Robert Horry's.

So far he hasn't said anything to suggest that was true, he knew they wanted him, he knew they valued him greatly, enough to guarantee they'd go into the luxury tax with the offer they made, it just wasn't as much as he wanted.

What motive would they have to not include a trade kicker if they valued him so much?

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Harden, 20 points, 5 assists on 8-13 shooting in his first game with Houston and having never practiced with the team....oh and the game is barely in the 2nd QTR.

They are playing the crappy Pistons but its also a road game and like I said earlier, very first game for Harden with no practice or ever having played in HOU's system or players.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Harden, 20 points, 5 assists on 8-13 shooting in his first game with Houston and having never practiced with the team....oh and the game is barely in the 2nd QTR.

They are playing the crappy Pistons but its also a road game and like I said earlier, very first game for Harden with no practice or ever having played in HOU's system or players.

I fully expect Harden to prove he's worth the max this year. I see him putting up around 23, 5 and 5. I'm more interested in seeing how much the Thunder miss his playmaking,

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You said he refused to to sacrifice financially when every one else on the team had already sacrificed financially. Durant and Westbrook both signed for more than they could have gotten anywhere else. Collison and Ibaka signed mutually beneficial deals. Harden just wanted what he was able to get on the open market.

JJ is making about 22million per year for the next 4 years. I'd rather have had his career than Robert Horry's.

?

IF you had said I prefer money over winning we wouldn't have had this back and forth in the first place.

We're not going to agree because you think Joe Johnson making more money is better than Horry winning 7 titles.

He's having a great debut I'll give you that. He got exactly what he wanted so far he's got total freedom on the court.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake