Know thy enemy: Niners Depth Chart

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We should be able to run all over that DL...but they do have a VERY good LB corps.

The only scary thing they've got in their defensive backfield is Clemmens. Walt Harris doesn't do anything for me, and neither does that S tandem.

The offense should have a big day.

1DS

Registered
Reaction score
That roster is a joke. We are going to crush them.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
We should be able to run all over that DL...but they do have a VERY good LB corps.

The only scary thing they've got in their defensive backfield is Clemmens. Walt Harris doesn't do anything for me, and neither does that S tandem.

Clements is a good corner, but certainly not an $80 mil corner. Add the obvious fact that they cant double cover either Boldin or Fitzgerald, it is going to have to be a "pick your poison" sort of day. Nolan better have some good zone blitz schemes, otherwise, they are in for some trouble.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
the great untold story of the last few years:

with Micheal B taking over for Bill Sr in AZ, and the Yorks taking over for DeBartolo -- not only does Arizona no longer have the worst ownership in football, it doesnt even have the worst in the NFC West. (throw in the Rams uncertain ownership status, and heck, the Cards ownership might be the second best in the West).

As for the depth chart:

on defense, the Niner problem is two fold:

1. Its pass rush is poor. Its leading sack guy of last year --Bryant Young -- retired. Their number 3 sack guy -- Marques Douglas is gone as well.

So what do the Niners do? They pay big dollars for a defensive end ( Justin Smith) who never really has rushed the passer very well.

Manny Lawson is coming back from an ACL injury -- and thus far has been nothing but potential. He wasnt exactly a proficient pass rusher prior to his injury. Also -- I am a beleiver that it takes two years for a player to get full explosiveness back on an ACL.

Kurt Warner + Fitz/Boldin + time to throw= lots of points

2. Second problem: without Bryant Young -- they dont really have a defensive lineman that will demand double teams, or for the line to shift emphasis to him. Bryant Young occupied blockers, allowing Patrick Willis to run free. Will that be the case this year? Tough to say-- but Young is a borderline Hall of Fame type defensive tackle that was still playing at a very high level last year. It just isnt likely that his replacement will replace his production.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Warner can just be patient and take what the D gives us we will be fine. We have enough athletes on this team that can turn a 10 yard pass into 40 yds that there is no need to force anything.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

I hope. Stupid Walt Harris always has a good game versus us, and then stinks it up all year.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
BJ should suit up as their #3 on Sunday.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Its gonna be a GREAT DAY!!!!!!!!!! I am so pumped up it is unreal. I honestly haven't been this excited over the start of the season in a long time, possibly ever.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remember the thread touting their signing of Takeo Spikes?

Well he failed to beat out incumbent Jeff Ulbrich(who I happen to think is really underrated). And they just signed Ahmad Brooks to back up Willis.

They have a very intriguing LB group, Willis is ridiculously good, Lawson and Haralson are complete unknown at this time and the backups are older veterans or young guys looking for a 2nd chance. I expect to see a lot of Banta-Cain too but I was surprised to see him playing total mopup duty in the last game, he was in on the last play of the game.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
On running plays, we should be able to get to the 2nd level no sweat. expect Edge to have many 5 to 8 yard pick ups before that LB crew gets a hold of him

Reaction score
Defense: 4 DL, 4 LB, 4 DB. So their plan is to stop the Cardinals with 12 guys on the field. :p

Still won't work.

:koolaid:

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
I hope. Stupid Walt Harris always has a good game versus us, and then stinks it up all year.

It will be interesting to see the Cardinals game plan Sunday. I think one of the reasons Whis tabbed Kurt Warner is that he knows the running game is not there yet.

The Niners defense was middle of the pack last season, and the Cardinals SHOULD be able to score on them. OTOH, Mike Martz will utilize Frank Gore in ways he has never been utilized before. The defense can not allow him to go off on us. Also, the Niners have two of the best kickers in football IMO.

In order to go anywhere this season the Cardinals have to win on the road, and this game is the acid test. It only gets harder from here. I am cautiously optimistic, but we'll see what happens Sunday.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Cant overlook a division rival...ever.

Second, If Cards can avoid what seems to be a disastours first snap of the ball (it seems like that every year when we play this team) and avoid a silly int or fumble deep in their own territory, Cards should win. Well, that and avoiding the Clancy prevent in the last few minutes of play.

black

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Cant overlook a division rival...ever.

Second, If Cards can avoid what seems to be a disastours first snap of the ball (it seems like that every year when we play this team) and avoid a silly int or fumble deep in their own territory, Cards should win. Well, that and avoiding the Clancy prevent in the last few minutes of play.
:thumbup:

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
:thumbup:

That roster reminds me of the 2003 Cardinals.

Not even close.

A team would have to work REALLY REALLY hard to produce a roster that horrible.

You would have to find a football player worse than Anthony Clement, and start him on your offensive line. That is darn near impossible.

young tone

5 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPS!!!!!
Reaction score
the great untold story of the last few years:

with Micheal B taking over for Bill Sr in AZ, and the Yorks taking over for DeBartolo -- not only does Arizona no longer have the worst ownership in football, it doesnt even have the worst in the NFC West. (throw in the Rams uncertain ownership status, and heck, the Cards ownership might be the second best in the West).

As for the depth chart:

on defense, the Niner problem is two fold:

1. Its pass rush is poor. Its leading sack guy of last year --Bryant Young -- retired. Their number 3 sack guy -- Marques Douglas is gone as well.

So what do the Niners do? They pay big dollars for a defensive end ( Justin Smith) who never really has rushed the passer very well.

Manny Lawson is coming back from an ACL injury -- and thus far has been nothing but potential. He wasnt exactly a proficient pass rusher prior to his injury. Also -- I am a beleiver that it takes two years for a player to get full explosiveness back on an ACL.

Kurt Warner + Fitz/Boldin + time to throw= lots of points

2. Second problem: without Bryant Young -- they dont really have a defensive lineman that will demand double teams, or for the line to shift emphasis to him. Bryant Young occupied blockers, allowing Patrick Willis to run free. Will that be the case this year? Tough to say-- but Young is a borderline Hall of Fame type defensive tackle that was still playing at a very high level last year. It just isnt likely that his replacement will replace his production.

The thought of that just makes me :bang: ...

But I think people are underestimating the 49ers D. Ray Mcdonald has looked really good starting so far in the preseason, and signing Justin Smith is going to help Manny become a better pass rusher. Manny Lawson has been nothing but potential so far, I agree, but last year in his first two games he looked like he was going to have a pretty good year. I think signing Smith is going to help out alot. But who knows, we have had alot of problems with Fitz and Boldin and we all know Warner has been a 49er killer since 1999.

Our O is what Im questioning. Of course we all dont know what to expect with JT under center. We'll see how it goes in his first ever start though... But Gore and Davis should benefit from Martz calling plays. I liked what I seen from Josh Morgan (who looks like a steal) and even seen Jason Hill step it up. They can learn the offense and follow Bruce's teaching of the offense. Also Bryant Johnson looked pretty good that last preseason game. I hope he pans out for us...

Im just excited to see some football! Good luck and no injuries on Sunday

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The thought of that just makes me :bang: ...

But I think people are underestimating the 49ers D. Ray Mcdonald has looked really good starting so far in the preseason, and signing Justin Smith is going to help Manny become a better pass rusher. Manny Lawson has been nothing but potential so far, I agree, but last year in his first two games he looked like he was going to have a pretty good year. I think signing Smith is going to help out alot. But who knows, we have had alot of problems with Fitz and Boldin and we all know Warner has been a 49er killer since 1999.

Our O is what Im questioning. Of course we all dont know what to expect with JT under center. We'll see how it goes in his first ever start though... But Gore and Davis should benefit from Martz calling plays. I liked what I seen from Josh Morgan (who looks like a steal) and even seen Jason Hill step it up. They can learn the offense and follow Bruce's teaching of the offense. Also Bryant Johnson looked pretty good that last preseason game. I hope he pans out for us...

Im just excited to see some football! Good luck and no injuries on Sunday

Smith is a high motor guy but he hasn't been all that productive in his career so it'll be interesting. I agree about McDonald he was the revelation of preseason on D for the 49ers, like Morgan was the O.

I think WR is the big concern on offense although the OL is a bit dinged up still. The 49ers really have no clue what they have at WR, Bruce is past his prime no idea how much he has left. Morgan looked terrific in preseason but who knows about real games, hill is really untested. The guys they're most sure about are Battle(who they've been trying to replace) and Johnson who's been hurt. My experience is both those guys are at best 3rd WR's on a good team.

Love Gore, I think it'll be very tough for him to have a monster year because teams are going to key on him.

Will be interesting to watch and see what Martz can do but people forget those rams teams were stacked at WR, SF right now is really nowhere close in terms of WR.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not even close.

A team would have to work REALLY REALLY hard to produce a roster that horrible.

You would have to find a football player worse than Anthony Clement, and start him on your offensive line. That is darn near impossible.
I would actually venture to say that Clement was one of the better players on that team. :bang:

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Echos of last year. (How many times did we beat them then?)

Depth Charts are written on paper.

And that's all they are good for - paper.

The matchups look good, but we still have to go out and prove that our guys are better than their guys.

The ball bounces funny. The zebras occasionally go whacky. Inside the skulls of our physically superb and well-conditioned athletes are brains capable of farting early and often.

Only if we win on Sunday will I be willing to concede that "we matched up better on paper." And if we win one or two more consecutive games we're expected to win, I'll be willing to believe that Cardinal "doink!" factor has finally been put to rest and we can rest a bit easier knowing this.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

That joke of a roster beat us twice last year. The Cards better not screw around with this game. They need to come out fast and score early.

You must be registered for see images

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05