Kobe demands trade

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see anything wrong with that...if there is someone in the FO that is saying incorrect statements about you to the media, especially if that someone is your GM or GMinNameOnly, do you really want to be around it?

That front office is very fractured and is currently infighting like hell. Just name Jeannie president already so Shadow Phil can run the team.

i just don't know why anything Kobe says should be taken as gospel as you apparently treat it.

and you know what, if it is true, be a man and deal with it face to face - don't go to the media (like Kobe ALWAYS does) and be a freaking bitch about it.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Lakers receive -
Andres Nocioni and PJ Brown in S&T
Luol Deng
Kirk Hinrich
#11 pick

Bulls receive
Kobe Bryant
Jordan Farmar

Bulls Lineup:
Duhon
Gordon
Kobe
Thomas
Wallace

Lakers:
Hinrich
Deng
Nocioni
Odom
Bynum

I also recall the Boozer-Lakers rumors revolving around Caron Butler which is more realistic when Boozer was supposedly in the doghouse with injury problems and a huge contract.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, but Kobe said he was told they didn't want Boozer because he couldn't guard 4's. (True) So if they didn't want him then, why would they want him now?

"True" - again, why is this taken as the gospel? Kobe started a FIRESTORM this weekend. Why would it surprise you that he would say anything to get his ass out of the fire?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't do that.

e - I've got a questionand it's something you brought up when I thought the Bulls would be a team the Wolves could make a deal with - with PJ Brown, his contract expires on July 1, right? Can they not use him as part of a package as an expiring contract prior to that because he's still under contract, no? Is there a rule that if you have an expiring contract, it must be traded before the trade deadline?

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Can't do that.

My bad. Although I do think the Lakers best shot at rebuilding on the fly is trading with the Bulls while excluding Ben Wallace in the deal. Fortunately with Mitch Kupchak at the helm I expect the Lakers to get massively ripped off whenever Kobe and them part ways.

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i just don't know why anything Kobe says should be taken as gospel as you apparently treat it.

and you know what, if it is true, be a man and deal with it face to face - don't go to the media (like Kobe ALWAYS does) and be a freaking bitch about it.

Kobe has gone to the media in three situations that I can think of. FINALLY calling out Shaq (well overdue, as Shaq ALWAYS went to the media on Kobe). Karl and his hunting of mexican women, which Kobe already HAD gone face to face on with Karl and then escalated it. This, which has been brewing since the Kidd deal was killed. You know what the constant is? No Jerry West in any of those situations...JW was Kobe's confidant and allowed him to vent. Without West, the front office is a mess, Shaq and Kobe part (which Shaq has said that if JW was there, that never would have happened).

And I take most of what Kobe says as true because a) I see it happening because it's obvious b) I've read it from Lazenby c) it's backed up by others. He's not always right, but until someone from the Lakers says otherwise (and Buss has said from the start exactly what Kobe says about Shaq being traded) the insider is spreading garbage and poisoning the well. There is really no other way to take that.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
e - I've got a questionand it's something you brought up when I thought the Bulls would be a team the Wolves could make a deal with - with PJ Brown, his contract expires on July 1, right? Can they not use him as part of a package as an expiring contract prior to that because he's still under contract, no? Is there a rule that if you have an expiring contract, it must be traded before the trade deadline?

Yes.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#85, second bullet point.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kobe has gone to the media in three situations that I can think of. FINALLY calling out Shaq (well overdue, as Shaq ALWAYS went to the media on Kobe). Karl and his hunting of mexican women, which Kobe already HAD gone face to face on with Karl and then escalated it. This, which has been brewing since the Kidd deal was killed. You know what the constant is?

uh, Kobe Bryant?

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also recall the Boozer-Lakers rumors revolving around Caron Butler which is more realistic when Boozer was supposedly in the doghouse with injury problems and a huge contract.

Yes, that is how I recall it. And yes, Haley basically said it was a done deal, and they wanted Boozer out of there in the worst way. Whatever collapsed that deal is beside the point but a deal was being talked about on many levels, not just by homerific huge headed Haley.

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
uh, Kobe Bryant?

Don't be smarmy...Kobe was around for 11 years there. Only post Jerry has he called anyone out in the media.

One of them was more than deserved. One shouldn't have ever gone that far and the other probably should have been done behind closed doors.

Oolong

Reaction score
Kobe

In my opinion the only way we get Kobe is to offer Amare. We should give Amare, Thomas and Barbosa for Bryant and either Bynum or Brown.

Amare and Bryant on the same team would cause too many problems for everyone else on the team. No one would shoot the ball but these two and that is not the way this team plays. You put Bryant on the floor to penetrate and either score or dish to bell, nash on the perimeter and then Marion there to get the hustle and fast break points.

This combined with the defense of bell, marion and Kobe, would make this team incredible. All of these guys get alot of steals that leads to fast break points. Along with a serviceable big man like Bynum or Brown, or even Diaw for that matter, we would kill people. The Suns would also be able to give up their search for their back up point guard, with Kobe in the mix.

I feel with Portland and Seattle getting the top picks this is a trade Phoenix has to make in order to win a championship. The current team cannot beat the Spurs. With Kobe, Bell Nash, Marion and Diaw, the Spurs would not be able to stop us.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
So my proposed trade would work after July 1 if he signs a new contract with the Bulls (with the sole intention of getting traded of course?

The team that signs and trades a player can't include more players in the deal.

Amare and Kobe wouldn't be a problem on the same team. There is too much mutual respect between the 2.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't be smarmy...Kobe was around for 11 years there. Only post Jerry has he called anyone out in the media.

uh, Shaq-Kobe 1? Before they sucked it up and went on the 2001 playoff rampage? Pretty sure Jerry was still there.

and seriously, i don't care if Jerry was there or not, the guy's a full grown man and he needs a freaking babysitter to keep his mouth shut and act like a man? That's sad on MANY MANY levels and you know it. It doesn't take away from his unbelievable skills as a baskteball player, but it does say something about the guy off-the-court.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
So my proposed trade would work after July 1 if he signs a new contract with the Bulls (with the sole intention of getting traded of course?

I think the rule is that you can't sign-and-trade a player in conjunction with his teammates. However, I'm not able to find it in Coon's FAQ at the moment, and I have to go run and do something else right now. Can someone else help out?

Furio

Rookie
Reaction score
sorry but we should not get rid of amare for kobe..

I don't think it would work out salary wise anyways. Wouldn't trading Marion and others for Kobe work better? Since Marion's salary is closer to Kobe's?

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
uh, Shaq-Kobe 1? Before they sucked it up and went on the 2001 playoff rampage? Pretty sure Jerry was still there.

Kobe didn't go to the media then. The first time he went to the media was Jim Gray in 2004. He may have said his little quote backs to Shaq (who looooves going to the media) but he never took stuff to them. Until Jim Gray and he laid it out then.

And West turned over the reigns to Mitch in 2000. He was a "consultant" on and off until he took the Grizz job in 02. I don't know how much he was there.

I don't care if the dude needs a babysitter...he's an enormous talent and if you know your enormous talent needs a babysitter by all effing means, give him his blankie.

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think it would work out salary wise anyways. Wouldn't trading Marion and others for Kobe work better? Since Marion's salary is closer to Kobe's?

Nobody. Wants. Shawn. Marion.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05