Kyler Murray Debate Thread

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That first play I mentioned in the game thread. Had he been decisive and run right away it's an easy first down. He was focused though on Wilson and the deep throw and ignoring everything else.

I'd just like to see him stop and make the throw to Weaver here. It's not a tough throw.

One thing very apparent from watching the All 22. There are very few plays that ask Kyler to sit in the pocket and go through reads. There are far more plays that are either designed to go to one guy no matter what, or Kyler is deciding pre snap he's going to that guy no matter what. The 2nd most common option is against zone coverage Kyler just looks around until he find a guy stood open.

There is very little (might not be any TBH) of traditional QB progressions where Kyler sits in the pocket and goes through 1, 2, 3 reads.

A lot of the same things that happened under Kliff are still there.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I'd just like to see him stop and make the throw to Weaver here. It's not a tough throw.

One thing very apparent from watching the All 22. There are very few plays that ask Kyler to sit in the pocket and go through reads. There are far more plays that are either designed to go to one guy no matter what, or Kyler is deciding pre snap he's going to that guy no matter what. The 2nd most common option is against zone coverage Kyler just looks around until he find a guy stood open.

There is very little (might not be any TBH) of traditional QB progressions where Kyler sits in the pocket and goes through 1, 2, 3 reads.

A lot of the same things that happened under Kliff are still there.
Kurt Warner was talking about this on the This is Football podcast. He said that many OCs and QB coaches are actually teaching their quarterbacks progressions 1, 2, 3 instead of teaching them how to read the defense and respond to that.

The progressions are an "easy button" to program the QB and he doesn't have to do the mental work to sove problems. Kind of a short-term solution that creates a long-term problem.

I think the biggest deal with Kyler is that he's a poor rhythm passer and we have wideouts who excel in rhythm passing games. Kyler doesn't make good anticipation throws, so he's waiting for these big angular guys to get open.