Kyler Murray Debate Thread

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I agree, I just think something is different about Kyler this year. He's second guessing himself and doesn't seem willing to throw a contested pass unless he has to. He seems shaky due to the terrible protection too. The Kurt Warner breakdown the other day galvanized what I thought I've been seeing this year. Yards don't matter as much as TDs, points. I want to see him open it up a bit, but you're right there is no DHop on the team. Marvin may get there, but people forget it takes 2-3 years to really develop as an NFL WR. We were spoiled with Boldin and Fitz, but that was also 20 years ago and we haven't seen anyone close to that quality in a rookie WR since.
If he can't regain his confidence, man, he'll be cooked. If he can regain his confidence, he may be able to start converted folks into believers.

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I’m posting this as a guy who thinks Kyler needs to play better, but:

As a team we are 27th in pass attempts per game at 28

And

As a team we’re 13th in rush attempts per game at 27.6.

His stats aren’t great compared to the rest of the NFL because we’re not passing at a high volume that some of the other teams are.

We’re middle of the pack converting 3rd downs at just under 40%

And

Our defense ranks last in 3rd down percentage 48% and 3rd to last in opponents TOP at 32:30 per game.

Kyler’s biggest issue in my opinion is opportunity. Kyler will never lead the league in passing in this type of offense, so we need to stop comparing him to the top 10 passing QBs in the league.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Kyler’s biggest issue in my opinion is opportunity. Kyler will never lead the league in passing in this type of offense, so we need to stop comparing him to the top 10 passing QBs in the league.
It’s a chicken and egg problem. Why aren’t we passing more? How did we not try and put the ball into Kyler’s hands against the Commies? The lack of passing attempts isn’t an external event: it’s a choice.

Were third-to-last in total plays among teams who have played seven games. The two teams with fewer plays are Buffalo and Minnesota—teams who has generally been ahead and playing against the clock at the end of games.

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It’s a chicken and egg problem. Why aren’t we passing more? How did we not try and put the ball into Kyler’s hands against the Commies? The lack of passing attempts isn’t an external event: it’s a choice.

Were third-to-last in total plays among teams who have played seven games. The two teams with fewer plays are Buffalo and Minnesota—teams who has generally been ahead and playing against the clock at the end of games.
Hard to say if Kyler is the problem or Petzing is the problem. In his 3 years at Cleveland, albeit he wasn’t the OC, they ran the ball 1,512 times and passed 1,561 times.

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Hard to say if Kyler is the problem or Petzing is the problem. In his 3 years at Cleveland, albeit he wasn’t the OC, they ran the ball 1,512 times and passed 1,561 times.
His time in MN, before Cleveland, showed similar style offenses ran under Mike Zimmer when Kevin Stefanski was there as well.

DaHilg

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

It’s how the Cleveland Browns system is run as well.. a choice by Petz. He’s all of a sudden not going to go contrary to what his system dictated there

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I’m posting this as a guy who thinks Kyler needs to play better, but:

As a team we are 27th in pass attempts per game at 28

And

As a team we’re 13th in rush attempts per game at 27.6.

His stats aren’t great compared to the rest of the NFL because we’re not passing at a high volume that some of the other teams are.

We’re middle of the pack converting 3rd downs at just under 40%

And

Our defense ranks last in 3rd down percentage 48% and 3rd to last in opponents TOP at 32:30 per game.

There's a reason we are limiting Kyler passing though.

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
There's a reason we are limiting Kyler passing though.
That is?… I just provided Petzing, the OC, background where every offense minus 1 year at Minnesota that was at almost a 50/50 split running and passing. If Kyler was the reason, we’d see more passes and less efficiency from him IMO. I don’t think Petzing wants to throw the ball, which is why we don’t see more play action

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
That is?… I just provided Petzing, the OC, background where every offense minus 1 year at Minnesota that was at almost a 50/50 split running and passing. If Kyler was the reason, we’d see more passes and less efficiency from him IMO. I don’t think Petzing wants to throw the ball, which is why we don’t see more play action
Luckily we were forced to throw the ball today. And luckily we caught them off guard with some runs late.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Another series of clutch plays.

Can we have this version of Kyler every week?

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Luckily we were forced to throw the ball today. And luckily we caught them off guard with some runs late.
They were daring us to throw the ball. They lined up 8 in the box and even move Ramsey from the slot into the box at times to stop the running game. Petzing did a great job of adjusting and calling passes, Kyler and company did a great job executing, which set up the runs late.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You’re right and you know why that is? Because when Kyler plays great, EVERYONE agrees with that.

But when Kyler plays mediocre or bad… five or six posters still insist he played great.

Not hard to understand.

I suppose if it's the fault of receivers, Petzing etc when he's bad they it was down to them when he's good right?

He was good today. Great even in the 2nd half after a poor 1st half.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Definitely played like a top 10 guy this week. Was also finally helped out by his receivers on a few throws.
MHJ looked like he was really running hard on a couple of those plays as well. Hope it improves chemistry.

We don't need to crown Kyler after a good game, but these clutch drives at least means we probably shouldn't have gone overboard last game.

Happy for the win and lets see where we go from here.

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I suppose if it's the fault of receivers, Petzing etc when he's bad they it was down to them when he's good right?

He was good today. Great even in the 2nd half after a poor 1st half.
I wouldn’t say he was bad in the first half. Our offense had the ball for 11:30 in the first half and had 25 yards rushing and 111 yards total offense. We consistently had 3rd and longs and just couldn’t find any rhythm offensively. In the second half Petzing called a lot more passes on 1st and 2nd down, which allowed the offense to get a nice rhythm and stay on track.

Miami’s pass D statistically was #1 in the league coming into this week

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wouldn’t say he was bad in the first half. Our offense had the ball for 11:30 in the first half and had 25 yards rushing and 111 yards total offense. We consistently had 3rd and longs and just couldn’t find any rhythm offensively. In the second half Petzing called a lot more passes on 1st and 2nd down, which allowed the offense to get a nice rhythm and stay on track.

Miami’s pass D statistically was #1 in the league coming into this week

He had 3 batted passes before the half and about 70 yards passing. Must be a new definition of bad I missed.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
They were daring us to throw the ball. They lined up 8 in the box and even move Ramsey from the slot into the box at times to stop the running game. Petzing did a great job of adjusting and calling passes, Kyler and company did a great job executing, which set up the runs late.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan