Lakers vs Celtics -2008 NBA Finals

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score
(1)Sad but true! Sometimes, no matter how many people point out the obvious, a moron hangs on to his moronic views.

You just go right ahead and keep yours.

(2) It must bother you to no end to see all attention by the networks and media talking EXACTLY about the rivalry you contend isn't one.

1) you just gave a PERFECT example of when a MORON hangs onto his moronic views on this post. At least I know what a rivalry is and 20 + years of no rivalry = NO RIVALRY.

2) It doesn't bother me one bit. Actually I find it funny how the NBA is trying to hype the gullible fans into their nostalgic feelings of the 80's...not 90's , not 90's but the freaking 80's! It's all ratings hype and you my friend are the gullible one.

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score
Again, no talk about basketball.

All just laker hatred.

It is soooooooooo cool to be hated so much! Means they are doing something right!

If anyone actually wishes to talk ball, holler. Otherwise I'll refrain from replying to your obvious attempts at seeking attention like most losers do.

Have a great night... see you Sunday!

Your team Lost, yea your doing something right...loser.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last night the thing that jumped out at me was Farmar came in and immediately Boston went on a run. Jordan got lost on screens defensively and made a bad turnover offensively. In the first half Phil pulled him really quickly, in the 2nd half he had to take him out to stop the run. That really hurt the Lakers because Fisher is too old to play that many minutes.

Jordan looked pretty deer in the headlights last night trying to guard Ray Allen.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last night the thing that jumped out at me was Farmar came in and immediately Boston went on a run. Jordan got lost on screens defensively and made a bad turnover offensively. In the first half Phil pulled him really quickly, in the 2nd half he had to take him out to stop the run. That really hurt the Lakers because Fisher is too old to play that many minutes.

Jordan looked pretty deer in the headlights last night trying to guard Ray Allen.

Jordan is prone to do that...he had a terrible series against Utah. Thankfully, we can have Sasha run the point if need be. That's the beauty of the triangle...don't really need a classic point guard.

cobbler

Registered
Reaction score
Your team Lost, yea your doing something right...loser.

Ouuuuch.... i don't know how i can go on knowing that an ignorant fool like you thinks I am a loser when all you can do is bash a team and its fans because you have a hated for a certain player. Keep posting your moronic comments, I'll keep pointing them out.

BTW, Speaking of losing, how's your team doing?

The RIVALRY continues on Sunday. Check it out...:D

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ouuuuch.... i don't know how i can go on knowing that an ignorant fool like you thinks I am a loser when all you can do is bash a team and its fans because you have a hated for a certain player. Keep posting your moronic comments, I'll keep pointing them out.

Oh, he'll be watching. As will the country. They won't miss the RIVALRY.

nowagimp

Reaction score
The lakers still have the better talent and I do expect them to win, especially given the injury to pierce. the concern for them is rebounding, whcih really begs the question WTF is jackson doing matching up luke walton with PJ brown and leaving Odom on the bench till late in the 4th? Watching walton try to box out PJ Brown under the boards was pathetic. Is PJ Brown really that good? He sure didnt look that good against the pistons. Funny how Pistons fans and GM Dumars, -in a departing shot after being eliminated- criticized Saunders for playing a short rotation and not developing his bench during the season, and Rivers gets criticized in beantown for playing the bench too much in the playoffs. Basketball fans are practically schitzoid sometimes.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jordan is prone to do that...he had a terrible series against Utah. Thankfully, we can have Sasha run the point if need be. That's the beauty of the triangle...don't really need a classic point guard.

He's the epitome of the young PG plays well at home not on the road.

What I can't figure out is his defense, it's not just lack of size he's just getting lost. When the Lakers first brought him in both Winter and Jackson specifically said we're very impressed with how well coached he was in college he really understands what we want to do on offense and defense.

He wasn't a great defender at UCLA but last night he just looked completely lost. They were afraid to put him on Cassell so tried Allen and complete mismatch.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He's the epitome of the young PG plays well at home not on the road.

What I can't figure out is his defense, it's not just lack of size he's just getting lost. When the Lakers first brought him in both Winter and Jackson specifically said we're very impressed with how well coached he was in college he really understands what we want to do on offense and defense.

He wasn't a great defender at UCLA but last night he just looked completely lost. They were afraid to put him on Cassell so tried Allen and complete mismatch.

Defensively he looked shellshocked out there. Offensively I thought he was fine, but on defense he was completely lost. Was very upset to see that. I hoped he would have a good Finals.

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score

...not losing if that is what you mean. :D

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score
Oh, he'll be watching. As will the country. They won't miss the RIVALRY.
U betcha! This has to be one of the best match-ups in a long time and the best thing about it...it isn't boring. This is where I wish it was the best of 13 games. I have to admit, I luv it!

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

:confused: Rivalry??? Are you livin' in the '80's or what? 20 freakin' years dude, 20 freakin' years ago they had a rivalry... and then it ended. A rivalry needs to continue, it doesn't take a 20 year vacation.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
U betcha! This has to be one of the best match-ups in a long time and the best thing about it...it isn't boring. This is where I wish it was the best of 13 games. I have to admit, I luv it!

That was an exciting game one.

cobbler

Registered
Reaction score
:confused: Rivalry??? Are you livin' in the '80's or what? 20 freakin' years dude, 20 freakin' years ago they had a rivalry... and then it ended. A rivalry needs to continue, it doesn't take a 20 year vacation.

I have no intention of having to spell this out to you as well other than the entire nation, media world, teams involved, players from the 60's, players from the 80's, and current players all refer to it as a rivalry. Look up the definition in the dictionary if you just cant grasp it. It has NOTHING to do with timeframes, dude.

Last edited:

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have no intention of haveing to spell this out to you as well other than the entire nation, media world, teams involved, players from the 60's, players from the 80's, and current players all refer to it as a rivalry. Look up the definition in the dictionary if you just cant grasp it. It has NOTHING to do with timeframes, dude.

:bigyawn:

If you want to use the dictionary, every team is a rival of the others. A sports rivalry is continued year after year. Michigan v. Ohio State, Yankees v. The Sox, Redskins v. Cowboys. It's not something that comes and goes.. meaning it doesn't take a 20 year break. The games mean something everytime, not just the finals. What? You never heard the term.. my old rival???

For instance: ESPN rated the top 10 sports rivalry's of all time. On a side note they listed 10 they wish still existed. You'll note what they said about the Celtics v. Lakers. It's history, it's in the past.

10 we wish still existed
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica, sans-serif]1. Army vs. Navy[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica, sans-serif]In the '40s and '50s they were football powerhouses. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica, sans-serif]2. Lakers vs. Celtics[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica, sans-serif]The Showtime Lakers vs. blue-collar Boston in the '80s was basketball at its best. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica, sans-serif]3. Chris Evert vs. Martina Navratilova[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica, sans-serif]They played 80 times, with Navratilova holding a 43-37 edge. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica, sans-serif]4. Texas vs. Oklahoma[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica, sans-serif]This football border war was a classic from the '50s through the mid-'80s. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica, sans-serif]5. Willie, Mickey and the Duke[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica, sans-serif]From 1954-1957, baseball's three best center fielders all played in New York. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica, sans-serif]6. Richard Petty vs. Cale Yarborough[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica, sans-serif]Or Petty vs. David Pearson, or Petty vs. ... [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica, sans-serif]7. Packers vs. Bears[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica, sans-serif]Halas. Lombardi. Butkus. Nitschke. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica, sans-serif]8. AFL vs. NFL[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica, sans-serif]The AFL may have been the more exciting league. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica, sans-serif]9. Affirmed vs. Alydar[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica, sans-serif]Affirmed won the Triple Crown in 1978. Alydar finished second in each race. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica, sans-serif]10. Jerry Rice vs. Deion Sanders[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial,Helvetica, sans-serif]Before Rice's injury, this was a duel of all-time greats. [/FONT]

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score
I have no intention of having to spell this out to you as well other than the entire nation, media world, teams involved, players from the 60's, players from the 80's, and current players all refer to it as a rivalry. Look up the definition in the dictionary if you just cant grasp it. It has NOTHING to do with timeframes, dude.
...not in your world...obviously.
Might want to take Klod's advice since you won't believe me. That rivalry crap is hype for ratings...and you are the prime candidate or shall I say...part of that gullible key demo they are targeting.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Might want to take Klod's advice since you won't believe me. That rivalry crap is hype for ratings...and you are the prime candidate or shall I say...part of that gullible key demo they are targeting.

It's total hype, it's ignorance. I've got nothing against cobbler, not my motivation here. I just find it funny that they are selling this series as such. It doesn't take away from either teams accomplishments this year, but there is no longer a rivalry and hasn't been for a long time.

he wants me to use the dictionary, I'll use an online dictionary:

ri·val·ry (r
You must be registered for see images
v
l-r
)
n. pl. ri·val·ries 1. The act of competing or emulating.
2. The state or condition of being a rival.

Well all teams compete (of course that could be debated, but for sake of arguement.) So looking at #2.. the state of being a rival.

What is a rival?

ri·val (r
v
l)
n. 1. One who attempts to equal or surpass another, or who pursues the same object as another; a competitor.
2. One that equals or almost equals another in a particular respect.

The first could (or should) be said about each team. But the second says exactly what were trying to explain. The teams have to be competitive, equals.

Now it could be said that they are revisiting an old rivalry, but until they see each other a few more times, that's all their doing.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You and Klod are wrong. Just deal with it. Why was it a rivalry in the 80s? It had been a decade since they had played in the finals. In your world, there was no rivalry in the 80s. Heck, they only met 3 times in the 80s. 7 times in the 60s, when the seeds of the rivalry were born..when the Lakers got their asses kicked in.

The other day Joe said something about it being a "fan rivalry." Uhm...yeah. And? The point? There is a very palpable dislike among both fanbases...the hatred comes back fast. This is probably not the last time these two teams will meet in the Finals either, in the next few years. The rivalry has been renewed.

I am at a loss for how you can think the rivalry was dead simply because the Celtics have sucked for 20 years. It never died...it just hibernated. The hype is there because the rivalry is there. No other team could create the type of intense feelings I have right now.

I guarantee you Jerry Buss considers this a rivalry still...he does not want to lose to the Celtics, at all. The fans of both teams consider it their most intense rivalry. I guess I should wonder why I even care that a few outsiders don't. :shrug:

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You and Klod are wrong. Just deal with it.

Everyone is wrong in your arrogant world.. No one on this board cares about the lakers or their accomplishments.. Why in the world do you take it upon yourself to tell us and brag about the lakers?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05