Lakers vs Celtics -2008 NBA Finals

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Neither is it on Kobe's.

I think the line you were looking for was "he wasn't hugged enough as a kid." Not the swingset line. You'll learn dude...you'll learn.

Oh wow.. I just learned something... I think just like your favorite boy.. check the sig.. it doesnt say haters gone hate...

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So the first definition in each example applies and the secondary definition of the second example partially applies and i am so ignorant and gullible?

If you dont think there was competition, animosity towards each other, outright hatred from the fans and members of both organizations over the last 20 years then I don't know what to say. Maybe they were not equals in talent over the past 20 years, but they are in championships won (well close), they are in desire to beat the other due to the great history between the two etc etc.

The Dodgers and the Giants have long been called rivals and in a so called "rivaly" for 50 years. There have been many many years where each team was far superior to the other. Does that mean its not a rivalry? I think not.

In your previous post you mention Yankees vs Boston as being a rivaly. How so according to what you are saying here? How many years were the Sox at the same competitive level with the Yankees? What about that 90+ year gap? It has for decades been called the greatest rivalry in baseball yet Boston only recently broke "the curse". You totaly contradict yourself here, or am I missing something?

So you say Ohio and Michigan is a rivalry. How so according to your logic? Are you implying they have both been "competitive equals" every year? There were no down times? Are you saying UCLA vs USC isn't a rivalry even though in football USC ihas been far superior over the last 20 years as has UCLA in basketball?

The media may be playing it up. That is what the media does. But you go to Staples Center, go to Boston Garden, and you will find the vast majority consider the other a rival, and any game played between the two as just another chapter in the rivalry. Regardless of what the media says.

You've moved beyond pathetic. It's apparent that you're going to insist on remaining ignorant to what a rivalry is. I really don't care enough to keep trying to explain it to you. Keep living in others past, the good old days... remember them, it was a time when you chose your favorite team based on their winning at the time. You must be proud that you can now brag about others accomplishments and all you had to do was jump on board.

cobbler said:
I get amused as well. I still contend it's an inferiority complex that comes when your biggest two achievements are beating a mediocre Laker team in the first round and looking at an empty trophy case for 40 years.

Our two biggest achievements? Ahhh you're one of those delusional Laker fans that actually believe you did anything other than pick a team who already had a storied past to root for. Wow! Good for you! No wonder you keep insisting a rivalry still exists, you weren't around to enjoy it when it actually did.

cobbler

Registered
Reaction score
Well, Well, Well.. bashing the Suns are we?

First one yes and it wasn't meant for the vast majority of the Suns fans who are pretty cool. Was for the ones spewing the hatred my way because I am a Laker fan.

Second one is all about the clippers!

Last edited:

cobbler

Registered
Reaction score
You've moved beyond pathetic. It's apparent that you're going to insist on remaining ignorant to what a rivalry is. I really don't care enough to keep trying to explain it to you. Keep living in others past, the good old days... remember them, it was a time when you chose your favorite team based on their winning at the time. You must be proud that you can now brag about others accomplishments and all you had to do was jump on board.

Our two biggest achievements? Ahhh you're one of those delusional Laker fans that actually believe you did anything other than pick a team who already had a storied past to root for. Wow! Good for you! No wonder you keep insisting a rivalry still exists, you weren't around to enjoy it when it actually did.

Going to insisnt on remaining ignorant? How so? I have explained my position very clearly. It's one shared by millions. But I guess that is how us ignorant masses are. You say you don't care to keep trying to explain to me yet you cannot answer my simple questions. You stated in your posts that the Yankees and Red Sox were a true rivalry. Then you follow it up with a rivaly is only a rivalry if both teams are at the same level of competition. Please explain to me how the Red Sox were at the same level for the 90+ years the Yankees owned them. You contradicted yourself. I called you on it and now your reply is a personal attack and a statement that you cannnot be bothered. And you call me ignorant? You cannot be bothered because there is no valid explaination for your contradiction. Well, other than Laker hatred. It is what it is.

So the vast majority (the so called ignorant and gullible) of the sports world considers the Yankees vs Red Sox the most storied rivalry in baseball, the Dodgers and Giants a close second. Include the Lakers vs Celtics for basketball. USC vs UCLA, Ohio vs Michigan. The list goes on and you even used several as your point to what a "real rivalry" is. Of course you cannot justify your comment that its only a rivalry if the teams are at the same level in the same recent years because your own examples prove otherwise. Therefor you attack my integrity and fanship as a counter which is an obvious tactic to divert from the reality that you cannot even justify your own comments much less answer mine.

Score one for the ignorant!!!!

Now, as for your comment on how I just pick a winning team and jump on board and wasn't around during what you say was the real rivaly. How would you know? If you bothered to read the earlier posts or actually knew me, you would know that I attended my first Laker game (was already a fan as was my father years before) in 1965. I was there when the rivaly started. I am still here now as it CONTINUES. I am a fan of all the local LA teams. and have been since childhood. No jumping ship, no bandwagons. So there goes another assumption of yours down the drain.

Change that score to two!:D

Time to move on.... Unless you have some substantive comments in regards to your glaring contradictions as opposed to the personal attacks.

Last edited:

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Going to insisnt on remaining ignorant? How so? I have explained my position very clearly. It's one shared by millions. But I guess that is how us ignorant masses are. You say you don't care to keep trying to explain to me yet you cannot answer my simple questions. You stated in your posts that the Yankees and Red Sox were a true rivalry. Then you follow it up with a rivaly is only a rivalry if both teams are at the same level of competition. Please explain to me how the Red Sox were at the same level for the 90+ years the Yankees owned them. You contradicted yourself. I called you on it and now your reply is a personal attack and a statement that you cannnot be bothered. And you call me ignorant? You cannot be bothered because there is no valid explaination for your contradiction. Well, other than Laker hatred. It is what it is.

My dislike of the lakers or the celtics has absolutely nothing to do with it. Man.. are you all victims or what? The Sox and Yankees play each other 16x a season, they are in close geographic proximity of one another, they have battled for the American East for 100 years, there is more history there than any other sports rivalry. They have played over 1745 games against one another. Every game matters. There isn't a bigger rivalry in sports(.)

The reason the Lakers and Celtics rivalry ended was because they didn't see each other in the finals for 20 years. They had nothing else to compete for being in differnet conferences. So yes, it does matter in their case.

So the vast majority (the so called ignorant and gullible) of the sports world considers the Yankees vs Red Sox the most storied rivalry in baseball, the Dodgers and Giants a close second. Include the Lakers vs Celtics for basketball. USC vs UCLA, Ohio vs Michigan. The list goes on and you even used several as your point to what a "real rivalry" is. Of course you cannot justify your comment that its only a rivalry if the teams are at the same level in the same recent years because your own examples prove otherwise. Therefor you attack my integrity and fanship as a counter which is an obvious tactic to divert from the reality that you cannot even justify your own comments much less answer mine.

You completely ignored that ESPN called the rivalry over. Of all the rivalry's you mention, they ALL play in the same division, ALL of them. They are all playing to be better than the other every year. You can't say that about two teams who play in different conferences, only the finals matter and they ain't met in 20 years. If (dear lord no) the do see each other again a few times over the next few years, I'd agree they will have a new rivalry.. but, the old one is dead.

Score one for the ignorant!!!!

Are you for real? Seriously? :slap:

Now, as for your comment on how I just pick a winning team and jump on board and wasn't around during what you say was the real rivaly. How would you know? If you bothered to read the earlier posts or actually knew me, you would know that I attended my first Laker game (was already a fan as was my father years before) in 1965. I was there when the rivaly started. I am still here now as it CONTINUES. I am a fan of all the local LA teams. and have been since childhood. No jumping ship, no bandwagons. So there goes another assumption of yours down the drain.

And that means what? Just because you've always been a fan doesn't mean you didn't pick a team with a storied past and continue to boast when in fact all you did was choose a team to support. That's not an accomplishment just so you understand.

Man, fans are weird.

Change that score to two!:D

...or not. :D

Time to move on.... Unless you have some substantive comments in regards to your glaring contradictions as opposed to the personal attacks.

I got nothin' against you man, but there is no such thing as a rivalry that takes a 20 year break.

cobbler

Registered
Reaction score
My dislike of the lakers or the celtics has absolutely nothing to do with it. Man.. are you all victims or what? The Sox and Yankees play each other 16x a season, they are in close geographic proximity of one another, they have battled for the American East for 100 years, there is more history there than any other sports rivalry. They have played over 1745 games against one another. Every game matters. There isn't a bigger rivalry in sports(.)

Ok, so now it's not that they have to be on equal competitive levels as you stated prior and to which i replied to, but it's amount of times they play and how close they are geographically that is key. Again, even though the Lakers and Celtics ony play twice a year, I assure you each and every time the fans, players, organizations, and media take it very seriously. As you said yourself, every game matters. Maybe if you were a fan of either of the teams you would understand this.

The reason the Lakers and Celtics rivalry ended was because they didn't see each other in the finals for 20 years. They had nothing else to compete for being in differnet conferences. So yes, it does matter in their case.

I can certainly see your point about being division or conference foes and therefor making any rivalry more heated during the regular season. However, i do not think that diminishes the rivalry in any way between the Lakers and Celts as neither organization puts much merit in either division or conference titles. In many arenas throughout the country you will see banners for such titles. Not so in Staples or the Garden. They only hoist Championship banners. Regardless of the championship potential of either team in a given year, I can assure you, the animosity for each is very real.

You completely ignored that ESPN called the rivalry over. Of all the rivalry's you mention, they ALL play in the same division, ALL of them. They are all playing to be better than the other every year. You can't say that about two teams who play in different conferences, only the finals matter and they ain't met in 20 years. If (dear lord no) the do see each other again a few times over the next few years, I'd agree they will have a new rivalry.. but, the old one is dead.

Again, I simply implore you to go to one of those 2 games a year in either arena and find a fan who agrees with you. I did not see where ESPN declared the rivalry over. I have only seen the numerous webpages and broadcasts that talk about the storied history of the rivalry. If you wish to say it took a hiatus, I am ok with that. We can agree to disagree. The facts remain though that however you want to define "rivalry", being it competition level, division foes, geographic proximity, number of games played, organizational, or fan based. Myself, and the MAJORITY of the Lakers and Celtics fan base, regardless of any media opinion in either direction, very much feel the animosity and hatred for each other in no differernt way than the Yankess and Red Sox fans do. So if you you wish to think of the Lakers vs Celtics as being two seperate rivalrys and a possible third on the way, be my guest. We fans and a vast majority of the media simply refer to it as "the rivalry".

And that means what? Just because you've always been a fan doesn't mean you didn't pick a team with a storied past and continue to boast when in fact all you did was choose a team to support. That's not an accomplishment just so you understand.

Accomplishment? Never implied it was. You commented on how I am just some guy picking winning teams to jump on and support and I was refuting your assumptions as simply not being fact. Nothing more.

I got nothin' against you man, but there is no such thing as a rivalry that takes a 20 year break.

I have nothing against you either, I don't appreciate the "ignorant" comments but that's no real biggie. I will still argue that a rivalry has nothing to do with time frames and you feel it does. I will use the words of both Magic and Bird in the latest NBA promo to which i am sure i will hear "it's all media hype" comments. None the less, they bought off on it and spoke... "Rivalrys NEVER die". We will just have to agree to disagree I guess.

Last edited:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rivalries between the West and East are dead because of parody in the league. You can't have a rivalry without consistent match-ups between the same opposing teams. You can't call something a rivalry because it's the first time in eons these teams have faced. Let them meet several times over the next 5 years then you can say it's a rivalry. Guess what? It won't happen.

I think you can still have inter-conference rivalries and that is it. I could understand someone saying that this match-up is "like the rivalry of old". It's just not one now.

10 years from now if neither of one of these teams meets again other then this series....history won't look back at this one series and say "wow what a great rivalry that was". That's how you know if it's a rivalry.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow the celtics are running away with game 2 of the finals up by 20 with 23 sec left in the third qtr talk about a beatdown, I expect the lakers to go back and when two in la but if they let the cetlics steal one in la series over.

Last edited:

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Like I said in another thread.................................................
Just an old fashioned Ass Whoppin!

:D

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Lakers making a run here, Celtics looking a lot like they did at the end of the games vs. Detroit: just plain confused.

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score
Dude, Radman traveled and they didn't call it. Looks like they still have hope.

btimsah

My Name Is Robert!
Reaction score
Wow, the officials have disapearred. How did they miss that walk!!! Not that I care either way.

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ugh...I thought we were the biggest chokers in the league. Looks like the Celtics are giving us a run for our money. :rolleyes:

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score
Celtics basically gave them the game. What a humongous breakdown. They should have never let their guard down.
Either way, it will be hard for the Lakers to come back. 90% of all teams with a 2 game lead win the series. Like i said, Celtics in 6 games...maybe 5.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the Lakers win this series it will be a monumental task. The Lakers have to win 4 out of the next 5. The cannot even lose 1 of the next 3 or it's over IMO.

To me the biggest difference is that Kobe has been a momentum killer throughout the playoffs by hitting big shots. Against the Celtics they have no such advantage. Between Ray Allan and Paul Pierce they have matched every big shot in the first 2 games.

PS. What a slap in the face it would be to Stern should the Lakers get swept?

cly2tw

Reaction score
I just checked the score table. Rondo, Powe, PJ Brown all contributed big time who'd never get a chance with DA to prove their worth. Sigh.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
I just checked the score table. Rondo, Powe, PJ Brown all contributed big time who'd never get a chance with DA to prove their worth. Sigh.

Rondo: Wasn't drafted by Phoenix because D'antoni didn't like him as a player. Mainly because he wasn't a good shooter. :bang:

Brown: Most likely didn't sign here because he knew D'antoni wouldn't play him anyways. (Speculation on my part, of course.)

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pau, Pau, PAU! Quick, how do you say "you suck" in spanish? Because, I mean, seriously dude, you suck!

You must be registered for see images

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05