Lakers vs Celtics -2008 NBA Finals

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score
You and Klod are wrong. Just deal with it. Why was it a rivalry in the 80s? It had been a decade since they had played in the finals. In your world, there was no rivalry in the 80s. Heck, they only met 3 times in the 80s. 7 times in the 60s, when the seeds of the rivalry were born..when the Lakers got their asses kicked in.

The other day Joe said something about it being a "fan rivalry." Uhm...yeah. And? The point? There is a very palpable dislike among both fanbases...the hatred comes back fast. This is probably not the last time these two teams will meet in the Finals either, in the next few years. The rivalry has been renewed.

I am at a loss for how you can think the rivalry was dead simply because the Celtics have sucked for 20 years. It never died...it just hibernated. The hype is there because the rivalry is there. No other team could create the type of intense feelings I have right now.

I guarantee you Jerry Buss considers this a rivalry still...he does not want to lose to the Celtics, at all. The fans of both teams consider it their most intense rivalry. I guess I should wonder why I even care that a few outsiders don't. :shrug:

OK, I did say "if anything"... it is a fan rivalry. Meaning that the "hangers on" are still viewing it that way. Only the "old timers" are still trying to relive the past...Like a fighter trying to recapture the "old glory". Times have changed and 2 decades should have been long enough to get over it. This games philosophy, players & fans have changed...move on, you can't relive the past . I understand that you love the team and all but when all the faces have changed and 2 decades have past, you can't recapture something you will never get back...just like a first love. ;)...just let it go my friend...let...it...go.

cobbler

Registered
Reaction score
It's total hype, it's ignorance. I've got nothing against cobbler, not my motivation here. I just find it funny that they are selling this series as such. It doesn't take away from either teams accomplishments this year, but there is no longer a rivalry and hasn't been for a long time.

he wants me to use the dictionary, I'll use an online dictionary:

ri·val·ry (r
You must be registered for see images
v
l-r
)
n. pl. ri·val·ries 1. The act of competing or emulating.
2. The state or condition of being a rival.

Well all teams compete (of course that could be debated, but for sake of arguement.) So looking at #2.. the state of being a rival.

What is a rival?

ri·val (r
v
l)
n. 1. One who attempts to equal or surpass another, or who pursues the same object as another; a competitor.
2. One that equals or almost equals another in a particular respect.

The first could (or should) be said about each team. But the second says exactly what were trying to explain. The teams have to be competitive, equals.

Now it could be said that they are revisiting an old rivalry, but until they see each other a few more times, that's all their doing.

So the first definition in each example applies and the secondary definition of the second example partially applies and i am so ignorant and gullible?

If you dont think there was competition, animosity towards each other, outright hatred from the fans and members of both organizations over the last 20 years then I don't know what to say. Maybe they were not equals in talent over the past 20 years, but they are in championships won (well close), they are in desire to beat the other due to the great history between the two etc etc.

The Dodgers and the Giants have long been called rivals and in a so called "rivaly" for 50 years. There have been many many years where each team was far superior to the other. Does that mean its not a rivalry? I think not.

In your previous post you mention Yankees vs Boston as being a rivaly. How so according to what you are saying here? How many years were the Sox at the same competitive level with the Yankees? What about that 90+ year gap? It has for decades been called the greatest rivalry in baseball yet Boston only recently broke "the curse". You totaly contradict yourself here, or am I missing something?

So you say Ohio and Michigan is a rivalry. How so according to your logic? Are you implying they have both been "competitive equals" every year? There were no down times? Are you saying UCLA vs USC isn't a rivalry even though in football USC ihas been far superior over the last 20 years as has UCLA in basketball?

The media may be playing it up. That is what the media does. But you go to Staples Center, go to Boston Garden, and you will find the vast majority consider the other a rival, and any game played between the two as just another chapter in the rivalry. Regardless of what the media says.

Last edited:

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But you go to Staples Center, go to Boston Garden, and you will find the vast majority consider the other a rival, and any game played between the two as just another chapter in the rivalry. Regardless of what the media says.

Great point....if there were no media saying anything, this would still be a rivalry.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Donald.. You are reaching NEM status.. Aint that ironic, being he's from boston..

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score
2008 Ratings Up 38 Percent over 2007’s Game 1

Looks like the Rivalry hype is working. :sarcasm:

I guess having the best player with the most exposed franchise along with the most successful team in terms of titles w/ 3 future hall of famers has no bearing in the ratings...nah!
NEW YORK, June 6 (AP) -- The Lakers-Celtics matchup gave the NBA finals' television ratings a big boost.

Game 1 on Thursday averaged an 8.7 rating on ABC, the network said Friday. That's up 38 percent from the 6.3 during last year's Cavaliers-Spurs series.

It's the highest Game 1 rating since Lakers-Pistons in 2004 drew a 9.8.

The rating is the percentage watching a program among homes with televisions.
http://www.nba.com//news/finalsratings_080606.html

cobbler

Registered
Reaction score
Looks like the Rivalry hype is working. :sarcasm:

I guess having the best player with the most exposed franchise along with the most successful team in terms of titles w/ 3 future hall of famers has no bearing in the ratings...nah!

Hmmmmmmmm. Didn't seem to help the ratings in 2006 where you had the reigning MVP and 4 to 5 future hall of famers in the game. Go figure.

The ratings were high in in 2004 because there is a history between the Lakers and the Pistons going back to the Magic/Isiah days. A mini rivalry if you may, certainly not of the magnitude of this years, but one none the less. And now they peak again because of the history between the Lakers and Celtics.

You didnt reply to the earlier post. How come? Do you consider the Yankees vs Red Sox a rivalry? USC vs UCLA? Dodgers vs Giants? I am curious how your going to spin this despite the overwhelming opinions that disagree with you? I suppose were all ignorant and gullible.

Last edited:

Joe L

The people's champ
Reaction score
Lakers can't compete with Celtics' strength

by Mike Kahn, FOXSports.com

Updated: June 6, 2008, 4:44 PM EST

The Los Angeles Lakers showed how easy it is to go from Sharman to Charmin in one fell swoop Thursday night.

The Sharman Era brings to mind the first championship for the franchise on the West Coast in 1972, a time when the Lakers won 69 games and Wilt Chamberlain joined Jerry West with, heaven forbid, former Boston Celtics guard Bill Sharman as their coach. Moving to general manager, Sharman capped it off with the additions of Kareem Abdul-Jabbar and Magic Johnson to ignite more championships in the 1980s.

Thursday night in the renaissance of their great rivalry with the Celtics to begin the 2008 NBA Finals, the Lakers transformed into the Charmin Era, looking cottony soft as the Celtics hammered them inside and out in a 98-88 win to take a 1-0 series lead.

This was the game that reminded everybody that the Lakers aren't the great team the Hollywood hopefuls profess them to be without 20-year-old center Andrew Bynum, out since January with a knee injury.

Their potent interior duo of Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom looked like ghosts wandering aimlessly in the shadow of Celtics superstar Kevin Garnett, whose 13 rebounds only told part of his dominance inside as Gasol and Odom combined for 14 boards. Even with their own young starting center, Kendrick Perkins, knocked out of the game midway through the third quarter with a sprained ankle, the Celtics still outrebounded the Lakers 46-33 and seemingly frightened them away from the glass.

Heck, P.J. Brown, coaxed out of retirement as he approaches his 39th birthday, was an intimidating force with six rebounds and a block to offset the loss of Perkins in the second half. And broken-down point guard Sam Cassell, also staring 39 in the face, came off the bench for an offensive infusion in the first half that gave the Celtics confidence when they sagged.

Even more vital in this beatdown was 22-year-old point guard Rajon Rondo with 15 points, seven assists and five rebounds, getting the edge on every loose ball, getting into the lane to create open looks for teammates and just creating general havoc with his aggressiveness.

This was a classic example of the physical game of the Eastern Conference overwhelming the fast-breaking, please-don't-touch-me style of the West. The physical nature of the Celtics defense made Paul Pierce and Ray Allen even look significantly tougher, and Pierce was hobbled with a knee sprain of uncertain degree just before Perkins went out in the third quarter. Still not quite right with his gorgeous jumper, Allen battled through it with eight rebounds and five assists to go with his 19 points, clicking along with the mantra from coach Doc Rivers of just doing whatever it takes to win.

Most of all, it was approach.

While so many people are staring at the 9-of-26 shooting from Kobe Bryant as gunning, the fact of the matter is he couldn't get open looks while others just looked plain scared to shoot. Yes, it was about great defense from the Celtics. The other reason was if somebody, anybody, on the Lakers would have set a solid screen instead of rolling before the defender got there, Bryant might have had a chance to get into a shooting rhythm at some point.

Gasol didn't even have a rebound in the first half, and Odom — when on those rare occasions he did go to the rim — went gently into the night. On one second-half drive when he got fouled, he seemed so badly shaken after the hit that neither free throw came close to going in. Instead of going to the rim hard, he would defer to a soft reverse layup.

And about that great Lakers bench ... that youthful exuberance the Lakers faithful has been crowing about en route to a 12-3 record in the postseason until Thursday? Those guys evaporated in the wake of stage fright in this generation's Boston Garden, now sponsored by a bank. Sasha Vujacic made a positive impact and played hard, but Luke Walton, Ronny Turiaf and Jordan Farmar looked as if they accidentally showed up from the local "Y" and were shocked to see NBA players in Celtics green.

Even as a youngster of 20, who probably would have been a bit overwhelmed in his first Finals game as well, Bynum's 7-foot, 285-pound presence would have altered the course, and proved the Lakers may just be a year away from being of championship fiber. As they breezed through the Western Conference with just three losses and Bryant brilliantly controlling the tempo of every game, they never trailed in a series.

It's logical to assume a lot of the problem was just the young players getting their feet wet — only Bryant, Walton and Derek Fisher have played in the Finals before. Then again, Cassell and James Posey are the only Finals survivors on the Celtics.

So that takes us to Game 2 Sunday, wondering about Pierce's knee, Perkins' ankle and the absence of Bynum. Gasol and Odom, whose intensity has the regularity of the weather, can not allow themselves to be terrorized inside by Garnett. Fisher, the oldest starter in the series, has to match the force of Rondo, the youngest starter.

Traditionally, the perception and momentum of both teams swings wildly from game-to-game in the Finals. And Lakers coach Phil Jackson, in his 11th Finals with a record-tying nine rings in his top drawer, isn't about to panic. But now we'll see if this crew can raise its level of play to help Bryant, the MVP, or he'll be going it alone.

All we know is it's a short trip down the pike from Sharman to Charmin — Thursday night was evidence of that. It could be a long series — or a very short one indeed.

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get amused as well. I still contend it's an inferiority complex that comes when your biggest two achievements are beating a mediocre Laker team in the first round and looking at an empty trophy case for 40 years.

Ouuuuch.... i don't know how i can go on knowing that an ignorant fool like you thinks I am a loser when all you can do is bash a team and its fans because you have a hated for a certain player. Keep posting your moronic comments, I'll keep pointing them out.

BTW, Speaking of losing, how's your team doing?

The RIVALRY continues on Sunday. Check it out...:D

Well, Well, Well.. bashing the Suns are we?

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check my record.. Rape isnt on the list...

Neither is it on Kobe's.

I think the line you were looking for was "he wasn't hugged enough as a kid." Not the swingset line. You'll learn dude...you'll learn.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05