Lakers vs Celtics -2008 NBA Finals

cobbler

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Gee, while I don't think Gasol sucks, he has been very soft in this series which as been a knock on him in the past. The Celtics are a very physical team and a soft player matches up poorly.

I was never a huge fan of gasol myself and i have argued that here in my posts about the trade. Even though we gave up a crappy Kwame and picks I always felt the money value of his expiring contract was worth more than given credit for. I find it funny when you read all the posts about the trade its the ALL STAR Gasol and now it's the SOFTIE.

He is a finesse player who will be a good PF of the lakers while Bynum and his length can cover the paint on help defense. Bynum will definelty help out with the more physical teams providing he comes back 100%.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Come on, moral victories is something you should never be happy with, especially from a team, on paper, that should have rolled the Celtics. You should be pissed; I would be. Don't give me this "great experience" crap, the window of opportunity is very small in this league.

Its a knee pop or micro fracture away from being nothing..

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was never a huge fan of gasol myself and i have argued that here in my posts about the trade. Even though we gave up a crappy Kwame and picks I always felt the money value of his expiring contract was worth more than given credit for. I find it funny when you read all the posts about the trade its the ALL STAR Gasol and now it's the SOFTIE.

He is a finesse player who will be a good PF of the lakers while Bynum and his length can cover the paint on help defense. Bynum will definelty help out with the more physical teams providing he comes back 100%.

Bynum is done.. But I do appreciate your new demeanor.. Youve accepted defeat..

cobbler

Registered
Reaction score
Come on, moral victories is something you should never be happy with, especially from a team, on paper, that should have rolled the Celtics. You should be pissed; I would be. Don't give me this "great experience" crap, the window of opportunity is very small in this league.

Oh I am pissed. But i have also played the game... and I know when you get on the big stage it can be overwhelming for young players. I still believe the Lakers are the better team. I happen to believe their youth and the Celtics experience are major factors here. IMO. I want them to win, but being as we were not even supposed to be here, you have to take something positive away should they end up losing it.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I find it funny when you read all the posts about the trade its the ALL STAR Gasol and now it's the SOFTIE.

We'll nobody expected him to crap the bed like he has. What other baseline did people have to go on? Everyone knew him to be soft, but his play this season up until now had suggested otherwise.... how else would you describe Gasol other than soft? I'm looking at this from a subjective viewpoint because I did wanted Gasol. He played in Memphis and was the best player on the team. He was never in a situation where he had to contribute to a grueling playoff run..... now we know

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So correct! West finals was a huge achievement, making the finals a great bonus.

can you imagine what Laker fans would say if a Suns fan said this about any year? The scorn and ridicule and taunts of "we only celebrate championship banners raised" would be off the charts. Good lord, if you're gonna be such elitists about you're team, at least stay consistent.

And as far as a window of 4-6 years... are you kidding me? That's if, and ONLY if Bynum ends up being the next GREAT big man. The greatest wing players in the game started deteriorating at age 32-3 - that's three years for Kobe. Anyone remember how Drexler struggled once he hit his early thirties? Or how Jordan literally looked like he was on his last legs by 34? 4 years I'll give you. 6 years is dreaming IMO.

cobbler

Registered
Reaction score
Life aint peachy for you, is it, cobbler..

My life is great! And my name has nothing to do with the food if that's why you keep using the peach references.

Again, your making the claims... and im saying put your money where your mouth is. How about 1,000 the lakers win a title in the next 3 years?

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My life is great! And my name has nothing to do with the food if that's why you keep using the peach references.

Again, your making the claims... and im saying put your money where your mouth is. How about 1,000 the lakers win a title in the next 3 years?

Hey lemme ask you something.. Do you know LC? She's hot..

cobbler

Registered
Reaction score
can you imagine what Laker fans would say if a Suns fan said this about any year? The scorn and ridicule and taunts of "we only celebrate championship banners raised" would be off the charts. Good lord, if you're gonna be such elitists about you're team, at least stay consistent.

And as far as a window of 4-6 years... are you kidding me? That's if, and ONLY if Bynum ends up being the next GREAT big man. The greatest wing players in the game started deteriorating at age 32-3 - that's three years for Kobe. Anyone remember how Drexler struggled once he hit his early thirties? Or how Jordan literally looked like he was on his last legs by 34? 4 years I'll give you. 6 years is dreaming IMO.

IMO I think Kobe will go an extra 2 due to his proactive approach to health and fitness. Of course there is no way to project this. Just my opinon. We laker fans, well I can really only speak for myself, have only used those comments as replies to the "we kicked your butts the last two years" taunts. Always in reply, not in instigation.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
IMO I think Kobe will go an extra 2 due to his proactive approach to health and fitness. Of course there is no way to project this. Just my opinon. We laker fans, well I can really only speak for myself, have only used those comments as replies to the "we kicked your butts the last two years" taunts. Always in reply, not in instigation.

I think you've crossed the "I'm a total homer" threshold. There's nothing wrong with that, it just makes it difficult to have a subjective converstation when reality is thrown out the window

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO I think Kobe will go an extra 2 due to his proactive approach to health and fitness.

wow, so in your opinion, Kobe will be able to maintain his level of play longer than any player in the history of the NBA at the wing-position. Look, there's believing in your guys and then make-believing in them. I think the above crosses that threshold.

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
wow, so in your opinion, Kobe will be able to maintain his level of play longer than any player in the history of the NBA at the wing-position. Look, there's believing in your guys and then make-believing in them. I think the above crosses that threshold.

:D

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last time I checked, nobody had come back from a 24 point deficit in the Finals to win. Or had a 21 point lead in the first quarter.

That's like comparing a sprinkle to a down pour. In game records are more then likely to get broken then a trend that spans the history of the NBA finals.

I checked on Wednesday...has anything changed since then? There's a first time for everything. Will it happen, probably not. If it were two games in LA, maybe, but it's virtually impossible. But who the hell knows what will happen. I've seen a lot of crazy things with this Laker team, especially in this season.

There is crazy and there is institutionalization. It's not going to happen. Though I admit this would be a fun series to go 7. Then again I feel like I want the Celtics to take care of business next game just to give David Stern another deserved slap in the face.