Laron Landry

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
To all of you bashing the cards for not taking Peterson, I just wanna run this guy's name by you one more time.

Prior to the draft I was repeatedly blasted by the overwhelming majority for wanting us to take Landry. So far this year, Holt has blown three games for us. Meanwhile Landry is quickly becoming one of the most popular Skins.

Coaches have oozed over his leadership skills and unbelievable work ethic. The Skins D is the best it has been in years and I credit him with much of that success. Granted, Fletcher has been great for them, but remember how horrible the Skin's secondary was last year. He has freed up Taylor to make plays in coverage and it is no wonder Sean is having the best season of his career. He also won the game against the Eagle by killing Curtis on a ball theat otherwise would have been caught for a first down inside the five.

Once again, I am not anti-Peterson, I just really think he would be doing far less here in Zona and we needed Brown. Where would we be right now had we not taken him? Ross is out for the year, Elton would be hurt, Sendlein would be playing LG and Wells would be playing tackle again. That is without further injuries.

All in all, I just really doubt Peterson is effective beyond five or six years (even less were he picked by us and hit behind the LOS every play), whereas Brown will be a mainstay for ten. When its all said and done, I think Landry will be the second best player (if not the best) from this draft behind CJ.

Last edited:

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's to you... oh, wait. I already used that one.

Landry is going to be great, but if it were down to Brown or Landry, I wouldn't have a problem going with either.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
He was the guy I wanted too.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
you know, he is a nice player

thus far he has no interceptions and 3 passes defensed -- and while I know stats dont tell the whole story, its not exactly all pro type stuff

I just hated the idea of spending a top 10 pick on a guy who would regularly line up 15 yards away from the line of scrimmage.

Its all about talent differential at various positions -- at QB, the difference of having a top 10 type Qb vs a bottom ten QB makes an enormous diffenence on the outcome of a game. I just dont think that that kind difference at Free Safety would amount to all that much.

In the Cardinals case, if I had a choice between the pairs of: top notch right tackle with a mediocre Free safety; or; mediocre right tackle and top notch free safety --- I would choose the former every single time.

Last edited:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Coaches have oozed over his leadership skills and unbelievable work ethic.

Never would have happened in Arizona where leadership and unbelievable work ethic do not arrive with the players luggage.

It is the one constant over the years. No leaders and constant complaints about "guys" not working hard enough. I've been trying to figure out what causes it for years.

I used to think it was because there was no pressure to win in Arizona which had few fans and an ambivalent press. Few if any players ever got cut for poor performance. Instead they were simply not re-signed when their contracts ran out.

Therefore players would come in with the impression of the organization as the armpit of the nfl and give a half baked effort and collect their paycheck without any real ramifications.

But that is not the case anymore. There are tens of thousands of fans now who want to win. Guys do get sent packing for poor performance. The press is still not East Coast tough but no longer ambivalent towards the team. The franchise is no longer considered the armpit of the NFL. Yet we still see the same problems.

:confused:

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never would have happened in Arizona where leadership and unbelievable work ethic do not arrive with the players luggage.

It is the one constant over the years. No leaders and constant complaints about "guys" not working hard enough. I've been trying to figure out what causes it for years.

I used to think it was because there was no pressure to win in Arizona which had few fans and an ambivalent press. Few if any players ever got cut for poor performance. Instead they were simply not re-signed when their contracts ran out.

Therefore players would come in with the impression of the organization as the armpit of the nfl and give a half baked effort and collect their paycheck without any real ramifications.

But that is not the case anymore. There are tens of thousands of fans now who want to win. Guys do get sent packing for poor performance. The press is still not East Coast tough but no longer ambivalent towards the team. The franchise is no longer considered the armpit of the NFL. Yet we still see the same problems.

:confused:

Just like an oil tanker. When it gets forward momentum, it's hard to get it to turn around and head in the opposite direction. The Cards have spun the wheel to make the turn, but the momentum is making it slip sideways as it goes into the turn.

Hope the friggin' ocean is big enough to make the turn.:D

RedViper

Registered
Reaction score
No offense to the thread starter, but are not the Cardinals the perfect team for the guy that wants to say, I told you we should have drafted, AP or BigBen, or whoever. Every friggin year our season is a smoking crater by now and there is always someone in the draft that looks so good at this point. If your team isn't a perennial disaster, it doesn't seem like these threads go over so well. I'll bet if you go on the Steelers board, for example, you aren't going to find so many of these. With us, it seems like its all there is to talk about. Until about a month from now when it becomes, I think we should draft so and so with our high draft pick. I guess that's to set up these types of threads when we don't draft that guy.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
I want to thank Laron for one of the highlights of the season. Standing in Q's way enroute to the endzone. :)

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to thank Laron for one of the highlights of the season. Standing in Q's way enroute to the endzone. :)

I think you are thinking of the wrong Landry. The guy Q ran over plays for the Ravens.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
I watched him closely when we played the Skins and came away very unimpressed. I also watched him last week and he is not good in coverage whatsoever. That's a small sample size and I'm sure he'll improve but he was a REACH at the 5th pick.

Thant being said, I liked Reggie Nelson more than Landry so my opinion is biased

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
What is with all of the "we should have taken" talk recently? "I was right 8 months ago when I thought player X was better than player Y" I don't have a problem disagreeing with a pick, but this "neener neener neener I was right, the front office was wrong and I have 9 games to back it up" is getting a little old.

Goober Man

Ultra Vida Guerra Mojo
Reaction score
What is with all of the "we should have taken" talk recently? "I was right 8 months ago when I thought player X was better than player Y" I don't have a problem disagreeing with a pick, but this "neener neener neener I was right, the front office was wrong and I have 9 games to back it up" is getting a little old.
maybe we should of drafted Tom Brady since we all knew he'd be great...:p