Leinart is not our QBOF

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't like Leinart's complete inability to go through his progressions on pass plays. He locks on to his first choice and that's it. I also don't like his lack of accuracy (IMO the most important QB skill).

The last two games, our offensive line has settled in and played well and the play calling has been more diverse. We aren't scoring much because of Leinart.

If I was King and had the first pick in the draft, I'd take Troy Smith or Brady Quinn and trade Leinart away.

I don't like Brohm.

Troy Smith is the most underrated QB in football. He's the same size as Drew Brees and just as smart but much faster. He rarely makes a mistake and makes big play after big play any time Ohio State needs one. He has touch on the short passes and is accurate on long bombs. He's also content to just hand off if that's the game plan.

Brady Quinn has carried a very average Notre Dame team to 9-3 and 10-1 records. He's tough as nails, rarely makes a mistake and runs Charlie Weis' 750 page playbook. He has no run game, no speed receiver and a lousy offensive line making him the 94th most sacked QB in football. His game and clock management are superb. He's good at sidestepping a rush but he's not a runner. He's big at 6'4" and 225 pounds.

My guess is Troy Smith will win the Heisman but fall through to round 2 because Ohio State has so many pro prospects that Troy will not be given credit for being the superb leader he is. In round 2, I'd draft him in a heartbeat.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. To each his own...

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Skorps man love for Philip Rivers has now shifted to Quinn. Give Matt Leinhart, two years of prep and LT and I'm sure he would douple Rivers output!!

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:biglaugh:

Complete lunacy.

And I don't care one iota that you were "right" on Rivers...it wasn't like Rivers was some 7th round gem that you stumbled across.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
lets set aside the fact that the guy has started all of six games and in his rookie season --

Leinart does go through his progressions -- heck -- even Joe Thiesman pointed out how he hit Boldin for a TD on his third read against Chicago

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't like Leinart's complete inability to go through his progressions on pass plays. He locks on to his first choice and that's it. I also don't like his lack of accuracy (IMO the most important QB skill).

The last two games, our offensive line has settled in and played well and the play calling has been more diverse. We aren't scoring much because of Leinart.

If I was King and had the first pick in the draft, I'd take Troy Smith or Brady Quinn and trade Leinart away.

I don't like Brohm.

Troy Smith is the most underrated QB in football. He's the same size as Drew Brees and just as smart but much faster. He rarely makes a mistake and makes big play after big play any time Ohio State needs one. He has touch on the short passes and is accurate on long bombs. He's also content to just hand off if that's the game plan.

Brady Quinn has carried a very average Notre Dame team to 9-3 and 10-1 records. He's tough as nails, rarely makes a mistake and runs Charlie Weis' 750 page playbook. He has no run game, no speed receiver and a lousy offensive line making him the 94th most sacked QB in football. His game and clock management are superb. He's good at sidestepping a rush but he's not a runner. He's big at 6'4" and 225 pounds.

My guess is Troy Smith will win the Heisman but fall through to round 2 because Ohio State has so many pro prospects that Troy will not be given credit for being the superb leader he is. In round 2, I'd draft him in a heartbeat.

Wow, I didn't read the full post, just disagreed with the title.

Are you really saying that Leinart is not a QBoF, but Troy Smith is?

Wow on top of my other wow.

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Skkorp -

I was with you on Phillip Rivers. Still am. But totally disagree that Leinart is not our QBOF. He is the real deal, despite his recent misfires.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Troy Smith will drop because he's only about 5'10. 5'10 QB's don't have too much success in the NFL. He's good, will win the Heisman, and get drafted but there are alot of question marks with him. Rivers is having a nice year but alot of that may to do with a particular #21 in the backfield with him. We'll see how he adjusts. Everyone was on Roethlesberger's jock and look how he's struggling this year.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and this was a playoff team also, right Skkorp?

Good lord above - the kid is a freaking ROOKIE - QB ROOKIES LOOK LIKE CRAP.

My God - were you writing off Phillip Rivers last year when he came in for Breeze WITH GREAT TALENT AROUND HIM and sucked to high heaven?

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Finally a thread other than who will replace Denny!!!!
I like Leinart and do see him as our Quarterback of the Future. He can run a team and has respect of the players. He is a leader. His arm isn't great but good enough especially with receivers like Boldin, Fitzgerald, Johnston & Pope (eventually). He is a work in progress but will continue to get better. We need to build the team around him.

SunCityCarl

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Good job stirring up the board Skkorpo but I have to disagree Matt's mistakes at this point are mostly related to game speed & though he's hit a couple of bumps along the way I'm confident with the "right" coaching & offense he can be the best QB the Arizona Cardinals have had.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Leinart is showing flashes--and more than most--I think that's all you can expect from a rookie. Rivers isn't a rookie.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agree look how bad Peyton Manning did his rookie year. Once we get a oline to open up the running game for Edge we will be scary with Leinart, Edge, Boldin, and Fitz. If we didnt get Leinart last year then I would say go after Quinn or Smith this year but no way you can say Leinart is not our qbof after 1 season.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05