Leinart is not our QBOF

RonF

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Reaction score
Skkorp, you need to take a deep breath and slowly release it. Isn't that better now since those nasty flashbacks of losing are starting to go away. :)

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
ummm..... Yeah, Matt locks onto his first receiver just like every other ROOKIE in NFL history. I know he was supposed to be poliched, but this is the normal progression of a QB in this league.

AzKarl

Veteran
Reaction score
Skorp, I respect your opinion but....

I don't like Leinart's complete inability to go through his progressions on pass plays. He locks on to his first choice and that's it. I also don't like his lack of accuracy (IMO the most important QB skill).

The last two games, our offensive line has settled in and played well and the play calling has been more diverse. We aren't scoring much because of Leinart.

If I was King and had the first pick in the draft, I'd take Troy Smith or Brady Quinn and trade Leinart away.

I don't like Brohm.

Troy Smith is the most underrated QB in football. He's the same size as Drew Brees and just as smart but much faster. He rarely makes a mistake and makes big play after big play any time Ohio State needs one. He has touch on the short passes and is accurate on long bombs. He's also content to just hand off if that's the game plan.

Brady Quinn has carried a very average Notre Dame team to 9-3 and 10-1 records. He's tough as nails, rarely makes a mistake and runs Charlie Weis' 750 page playbook. He has no run game, no speed receiver and a lousy offensive line making him the 94th most sacked QB in football. His game and clock management are superb. He's good at sidestepping a rush but he's not a runner. He's big at 6'4" and 225 pounds.

My guess is Troy Smith will win the Heisman but fall through to round 2 because Ohio State has so many pro prospects that Troy will not be given credit for being the superb leader he is. In round 2, I'd draft him in a heartbeat.

You know I am a ND grad and huge fan of Brady Quinn but, no less than Charlie Weis, in his recent ND press conference for the USC game, stated that Matt Leinart was an incredible football player and the best player coming out of College last year. He cited his unmatched ability to control the line of scrimmage, go through his progressions, and always make the right throw. Charlie doesn't hand out praise easily and he was very high about Leinart. He also feels USC is much worse for Matt graduating and he stated Matt appears to be the answer at QB for the Cardinals. Charlie was making the point that John David Booty is no Matt Leinart. I think Charlie is credible when it comes to QB's and what it takes to succeed offensively in the NFL.

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
][Quinn] has no run game, no speed receiver and a lousy offensive line making him the 94th most sacked QB in football. His game and clock management are superb.

Aren't there only 124 NCAA Div. I teams? Wouldn't 94th be, in fact, pretty good? It's not like he's among the top 25 most-sacked QBs in Div. I.

For what it's worth, I'd guess that the Offensive line looks like it's protecting better because teams have realized that Matt can beat blitzes and are sending only four rushers (who are still collapsing the pocket) against the offensive line and then doubling up our over-rated wideouts. Matt goes through his progressions, but he's not throwing the ball fast enough because Q and Fitz aren't getting open.

I haven't seen the tapes, but would anyone be surprised if this weren't the case?

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Skkorp - you also lost a bet to me that the Cards would not sell out 5 home games this year.

I want my damn cap!

Leinart showed more promise in his 1st few starts than almost any rookie I've seen. He stumbled a bit in the next few games but had a QB rating of over 100 in the last win.

For a rookie behind this line w/little to no running game, he is on schedule.

Cardinals.Ken

That's Mr. Riff-Raff to you!
Reaction score
I'm with you Skorp!

Leinart sux, and should be put on the next bus to Nogales!

seesred

Reaction score
IMO Matt will become an all pro in this league. In fact it might be as soon as next year. He has a great feel for the game and plays with more moxy than most. Watching him bring us back against the Rams & Chicago it was enough for me!

GBR

azmike74

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I agree, and would like to add that Fitz and Boldin suck because they only catch balls they can get their hands on. Sorry, couldn't disagree more with you and hope you are wrong, Skorp.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Dude, he completed 65% of his passes against Detroit...seems to be getting more accurate each week. He's 54% overall for the season, but it getting better. He will end up having Montana-like accuracy, in my opinion.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Leinart on his radio show said that ASFN is not the Cards message board of the future.

:D

I was dead wrong about Rivers, I think you're dead wrong about Matt, we'll see.

OP
OP
Skkorpion

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
K-9 - Brady Quinn averages over 4 sacks and 11 hard knockdowns per game. He'd get a break playing behind our line.

Locking in on one receiver is a killer fault in football and can rarely be corrected by coaching. It's why Plummer, Losman, and Eli Manning will never be great QBs.

This is no anticurse.

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
K-9 - Brady Quinn averages over 4 sacks and 11 hard knockdowns per game. He'd get a break playing behind our line.

Locking in on one receiver is a killer fault in football and can rarely be corrected by coaching. It's why Plummer, Losman, and Eli Manning will never be great QBs.

This is no anticurse.

He would get a break alright.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
As I did earlier -- I disagree with Skorps base assertion -- that Leinart locks on to one reciever.

Quite to the contrary -- he pretty consistently goes through his reads.

His problem right now is that he got hit enough in the Oakland and GB game that he has happy feet in the pocket as he goes through his reads -- against Dallas and in the first quarter of Detroit -- he was expecting pressure that wasnt there -- his feet arent set and his throws are all over the place

By Q2 of Detroit he settled down and was quite good.

Make no mistake -- he still makes bad reads from time to time -- but the classic lock on isnt his problem.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

In his first two starts, he was clearly NOT locking on to 1 WR...and that was against Chicago and KC...two of the best defenses in the NFL.

Absolute gut wrenching losses, a change at OC, and defenses adjusting to him and their ability to stop the run without 8 man fronts, have contributed to a lack of confidence and some bad habits, IMO. Plummer, Losman, and others have never shown the quality read progression that Leinart had in his first two games...he will get it back. He is a winner, a champion, and not only our QBOF, but could end up being the best QB in Cardinal history.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
In his first two starts, he was clearly NOT locking on to 1 WR...and that was against Chicago and KC...two of the best defenses in the NFL.

Absolute gut wrenching losses, a change at OC, and defenses adjusting to him and their ability to stop the run without 8 man fronts, have contributed to a lack of confidence and some bad habits, IMO. Plummer, Losman, and others have never shown the quality read progression that Leinart had in his first two games...he will get it back. He is a winner, a champion, and not only our QBOF, but could end up being the best QB in Cardinal history.

Fitzgerald also missed 4 games. Helps to have both Boldin and Fitzgerald in the line up.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

This is no anticurse.

Right, and you positively know he won't be able to progress from making those great reads once in a while (which, whether you admit it or not, he does do once in a while) to making them on a consistent basis? You know this based on his playing A HANDFUL OF GAMES IN HIS ROOKIE YEAR WITH AN ABYSMAL TEAM? Uh, no, you really don't.

seesred

Reaction score
My bad. It wasn't the Rams.. What was the other game other than Chicago where he did bring us back for a win that we lost?

GBR

nurnay

whatever
Reaction score
Leinart is as good a chance for a QBOF as we can ask for. A guy with poise, a successful background, and all the basic tools at hand. Yeah, he doesn't have the strongest arm, but that doesn't really matter. He's accurate.

The kid is playing as a rookie, and has looked great in 3 games. Of course, those were at home. He needs to learn to play on the road. His home/road numbers are like black and white.

I think he'll develop nicely and be a solid (not spectacular) QB for years to come.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score

This is no anticurse.

You must of missed the part where they interview young QB's, one thing they have in common, they all lock in on WR's.

This is just pure hype.

traveler

Registered
Reaction score
I won't bite

This obvious attempt to stir up the board. This is the most sure fire super star I have seen at QB since Elway.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My bad. It wasn't the Rams.. What was the other game other than Chicago where he did bring us back for a win that we lost?

GBR

He got us into position for a game-tying FG against KC.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Leinart is as good a chance for a QBOF as we can ask for. A guy with poise, a successful background, and all the basic tools at hand. Yeah, he doesn't have the strongest arm, but that doesn't really matter. He's accurate.

The kid is playing as a rookie, and has looked great in 3 games. Of course, those were at home. He needs to learn to play on the road. His home/road numbers are like black and white.
I think he'll develop nicely and be a solid (not spectacular) QB for years to come.

This Sunday should give us more insight to what Leinart has. No one can run on the Vikings so the success of the offense will ride with Matt.

Leinart does throw high just like another QB that used to drive me nuts, Jimmy Ray Hart.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05