Leinart is not our QBOF

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This Sunday should give us more insight to what Leinart has. No one can run on the Vikings so the success of the offense will ride with Matt.

Leinart does throw high just like another QB that used to drive me nuts, Jimmy Ray Hart.

The best thing about the last game for Leinart was we took some shots downfield and he hit them. We'll need to do that in any game left this year if we expect to win.

Hey, I was/am really worried about Leinart too. My main concern is him finishing the year with confidence and his body intact though. He knows how to play QB, if his mind is right he can perform.

BirdKC

I love lamp.
Reaction score
This is the dumbest thread ever.

Leinart is going to be a great QB. HE'S JUST AN EFFING ROOKIE.

Even Jesus Christ of Football Peyton Manning struggled his rookie year. (and a little while after that too)

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the dumbest thread ever.

Leinart is going to be a great QB. HE'S JUST AN EFFING ROOKIE.

Even Jesus Christ of Football Peyton Manning struggled his rookie year. (and a little while after that too)

Hope you guys kick the snot out of Denver tonight. I hate the Broncos.

BirdKC

I love lamp.
Reaction score
Hope you guys kick the snot out of Denver tonight. I hate the Broncos.

Yeah, I think KC will be able to pull out the win. It's at arrowhead, and the last 8 games between KC and Denver, the home team has won.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This Sunday should give us more insight to what Leinart has. No one can run on the Vikings so the success of the offense will ride with Matt.

Leinart does throw high just like another QB that used to drive me nuts, Jimmy Ray Hart.[/QUOTE]

Or a young Brett Farve!

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
I think the perception that Leinart is locking on to his receiver is more of a by-product of the lack of pass protection than anything else. Warner, who was very renowned for his ability to filter through his reads and spread the ball around, was also accused of locking on. Leinart and Warner have both showed the ability read a defense and check down when necessary.

I think Edge teasing the 100 yard mark and Fitz coming back will continue to pay obvious dividends. Although Fitz only had 30 yard receiving, his presence was an important factor last week.

With Fitz:
Com: 51 Att: 109 Com%: 46.8 Yds: 592 Ypa: 5.4 Td: 3 Int: 3 RuTd: 0 Rating: 61.4
Without Fitz:
Com: 67 Att: 111 Com%: 60.0 Yds: 756 Ypa: 6.8 Td: 3 Int: 4 RuTd: 2 Rating: 74.8

There's a huge jump in yards per attempt, completion pct., and qb rating with Fitz. I don't know about the overall scheme of the offense right now and whether or not it will resemble itself next year but Leinart is what an NFL qb should be. He's not about arm strength he's about good decisions and accuracy. What he's doing as a rookie, on a team in turmoil, a hugely disappointing team and without all of his weapons all the time should be at the very least encouraging to Cardinals fans.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
It's not something I'd want to start a new thread about but I did want to examine Warner's numbers a little now that there's something with which to compare them.

Attention!!!: I'm not questioning the decision to put Leinart in as starter. That was one of the few good decisions DG has made.

___________com att yds % ypa lg td % int % sck yds rating
Matt Leinart 118 220 1348 53.6 6.13 58 6 2.7 7 3.2 15 113 68.1
Kurt Warner 77 123 916 62.6 7.45 54 5 4.1 5 4.1 12 85 81.9

I guess it's not really a question of how bad Warner was playing but the timing of the mistakes that he did make. I just feel compelled to point out Warner's respectable numbers in a tough situation. I realize I won't get any support in this conversation but I still think that it shows to some degree how well he was actually able to hold things together on the offensive side of the ball in 05 and 06. The crushing, fluke-ish, heartbreaking losses will always be more prominent in Card's fans' minds I'm sure, but I would like to think that Leinart's time under center has clearly illustrated how bad the offense as a whole was and what Warner was able to, in general, accomplish with it.

Last edited:

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
The best thing about the last game for Leinart was we took some shots downfield and he hit them. We'll need to do that in any game left this year if we expect to win.

Hey, I was/am really worried about Leinart too. My main concern is him finishing the year with confidence and his body intact though. He knows how to play QB, if his mind is right he can perform.

This is my concern as well.

Whatever chance Plummer had to be a good QB was ruined by playing him behind a bad offensive line --

he learned awful habits (like the throw off the back foot) and after a couple seasons, I thought he had half a brain on the pass and the other on covering up for a hit (pretty good for a guy who we think only has half a brain to begin with)

ReddBird

Registered
Reaction score
When the draft rolled around, I didn't want the Cardinals to take Leinart with their pick. I'd seen a few USC games and I wasn't nearly as impressed with him as...the rest of the world. Besides, I liked Warner and thought -- if we could just build an O line -- he could take us to the play-offs.

But the brain trust selected Leinart. I'm glad they did. I've liked alot of what I've seen of the rookie. And, yeah, there's been times that he's struggled but there's been times when he's been in absolute control. I'm glad he's in Cardinal red.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This just in:

Either Skorp is messing with everyone, or he smacked his head on something very hard.

cardfaninfl

Demographically significant
Reaction score
Just because your boy Rod Graves is being shown the door, don't take your anger out on the rookie quarterback.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Q's the worst WR in the NFL.. Slightly ahead of Fitzgerald.

Truthfully, I think the Cards would be much better off trading both and moving up in the draft to select Jeff Samardzija.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Speaking of the wr from Notre Dame, anybody have thoughts on Brady Quinn? He had a great year last year but seems to be struggling this year. I've heard that ND has no wr's or running game to help him but I wonder if his great numbers from last year were more of a flash in the pan or him actually turning a corner from his previous 50% completion self? I'm not saying Arizona should draft Quinn, just looking for commentary on him by someone who watches more ND football than me. Is there any way the Patriots pass on Quinn if he's there when they pick? Could he slip that far?

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Quinn will likely be a top 10 pick, IMO. I think he is a better QB prospect than Young or Cutler but not as polished as Leinart was coming out.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Quinn will likely be a top 10 pick, IMO. I think he is a better QB prospect than Young or Cutler but not as polished as Leinart was coming out.

I'm not sure right now how Quinn is a better prospect now than someone like Joey Harrington was. Quinn's in a better program, but he's never won any big games and I'm not sure that he raises the talent level of the players around him the way great college players do.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think he will go in the top 5, probably the top 3.

Early in last night's game, I thought he might be hurting himself in the draft. But, he got better as the game went on and I think the big run he made offset his early struggles. He's a tough guy, I'm sure the scouts noticed that. He single-handedly kept that game from being a total embarassment for Notre Dame.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
matt is terrible, what a horrible first half, somthin like 17 of 21 for 200 yards? put warner back in.

Ed Burmila

Registered
Reaction score
I think this was jim's effort to do a NEM impression.

WTF. Are you serious?

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Yeah, those 8 WRs that Matt hit against Detroit and the 7 or 8 he's hit this week is obviously an indication that he locks in on one guy.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05