OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
The one "negative" for me is I'm more and more convinced that this is a story where the ending is completely unwritten and unknown, they're making it up as they go along and they have no idea where it's going. It's great to watch but I think listening to things they said earlier on about it being simple is probably a bad idea because I really believe where they are now is nowhere near where they started to go when the show started.

The writers have been quoted as saying they know the entire outline of the story, where they are, what is going on, and how it ends...

Mike

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AZCB34 said:
On the ladder - I am not suer we can accurately say how far down the ladder goes since they used that camera movement to fade to black so it could have been just camera play...or not.

Dudes in H2O - No way they kill off Sawyer...at least not at this point. One of them may perish but the only logical one is Korean and I am not sure they even kill him off.

Great show.

You could see the ladder was bent and broken after like 10 feet...then nothing...

Mike

NickelBack

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Anyone else notice that Charlie had one of the statues in his backback from the drug plan that crashed in the tree tops?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chandler Mike said:
The writers have been quoted as saying they know the entire outline of the story, where they are, what is going on, and how it ends...

Mike

Could be true I just am not convinced yet, hell of a ride either way.

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NickelBack said:
Anyone else notice that Charlie had one of the statues in his backback from the drug plan that crashed in the tree tops?

Yup, I really would rather him not get addicted to that stuff again, but we'll see what happens.

Mike

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So here's my other question comment. I'm not an expert on radar but it basically is a wave that bounces off things and comes back correct? I'm assuming Michael said they were 15 miles off based on what he could see, I don't think you can tell that from radar unless you can see the island on the radar correct? When we saw the radar screen, we saw one blip, which was presumably the others boat. To my recollection, we did NOT see the island.

So how does he know they're 15 miles out(they have no GPS or they'd know where they are), and if the radar shows a 20-22 foot fishing boat, how come it doesn't show the island?

Maybe that's why an island that big has never been discovered to quote Sawyer, maybe something about the island makes it invisible to radar?

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
So here's my other question comment. I'm not an expert on radar but it basically is a wave that bounces off things and comes back correct? I'm assuming Michael said they were 15 miles off based on what he could see, I don't think you can tell that from radar unless you can see the island on the radar correct? When we saw the radar screen, we saw one blip, which was presumably the others boat. To my recollection, we did NOT see the island.

So how does he know they're 15 miles out(they have no GPS or they'd know where they are), and if the radar shows a 20-22 foot fishing boat, how come it doesn't show the island?

Maybe that's why an island that big has never been discovered to quote Sawyer, maybe something about the island makes it invisible to radar?

That's interesting...not sure though...maybe if they had asked somthing like why doesn't the island show up on the radar, then I'd think that...but I think you may just be thinking too hard here.

Maybe they just missed the idea that the island would bounce off the radar too, or maybe it's range is only 3 miles or so...

Mike

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Chandler Mike said:
You could see the ladder was bent and broken after like 10 feet...then nothing...

Mike

I know but my point is that they used that scene to fade out so while we saw the end of the ladder, we have no idea where an opening may be even though they kept pulling backwards (or whatever the technical term is). Could be just a few feet further down and there is a huge opening to offer up what the hatch has been hiding and they did the camera action to make it see like it went forever.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chandler Mike said:
That's interesting...not sure though...maybe if they had asked somthing like why doesn't the island show up on the radar, then I'd think that...but I think you may just be thinking too hard here.

Maybe they just missed the idea that the island would bounce off the radar too, or maybe it's range is only 3 miles or so...

Mike

I thought that and yeah I probably am overthinking, but they said the radar came off the plane(I think the smugglers plane) and there's no way a plane would have a radar system that only works a few miles out because at the speeds even a small plane like that flies, 3 miles isn't that long they need to know where they are in relation to the landing strip etc long before 3 miles. If it was off the commercial airliner the radar would have an even greater distance since airliners fly at such high speeds.

I know on boats radar works pretty good distances, much longer than a few miles.

I think either they forgot the island should show up, or they did it on purpose because that's part of the intrigue of the island, it doesn't show up on radar for some reason.

I too think Frenchie's son Alex is alive and part of the pirates/others. That's why she hasn't given up on him, I think she knows he's alive.

Maybe it's like that twilight zone episode where they think they land on another planet and wind up killing each other and then it turns out they're in some desert near Bakersfield.

:D

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:

Because that Radar sucks! It took that small fishing boat less than a minute to reach the raft when they saw it on the furthest point on the Radar screen. That means that the Radar is only good for about a 1 mile radius at the most.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a question about Black Rock. That ship looks like it's from the 1700's. Since when did pirates from that era have spray paint to mark their explosive boxes.

:rolleyes:

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
MadCardDisease said:
I have a question about Black Rock. That ship looks like it's from the 1700's. Since when did pirates from that era have spray paint to mark their explosive boxes.

:rolleyes:

My feeling was that the french women hid it there from her shipwreck. Possibly to hide it from her shipmates.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chandler Mike said:
Some things I found on the boards afterwards:

- If you watch the scene in which Hurley is driving his cart through the airport, he passes behind a group of women soccer players…they each are wearing one of the numbers in Hurley’s lotto numbers.

- The gate of their plane was 23, one of the numbers

- He gave the guy $1600 for the that cart, 16 is one of his number

- An obscure link: The girl shown drawing the numbers when Hurley wins the lottery is the same girl that Sawyer is sleeping with in his flashback

There is also this link:

http://img280.echo.cx/img280/2847/turbinemanomgwtfisthat5mr.gif

A capture from the first episode that seems to show a shadow hitting the engine of the plane…much like the monster shadows we saw tonight.

Mike

That scene with Hurley in the airport was classic. The dude is hilarious!

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally I think that the whole thing is just Locke day dreaming on the airplane. How pissed off would you be if this turned out just to be a bad dream!

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The other thing about the radar that was bogus. Clearly they had it fixed to the main mast and it could only point in one direction. However the radar screen showed a spinning radar capable of seeing 360 degrees.

No wonder the Iraqi Republican guard never saw us coming!

:thumbup:

KingofCards

My Hero
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I don't think it is a pirate ship. Locke said it was a mining expedition. It had a drill and then all those dudes in shackles, like slaves. Dynamite would fit in with miners.

Did anyone see the extra scene on Good Morning America? What was it about?

OP
OP
Mike Olbinski

Mike Olbinski

Formerly Chandler Mike
Supporting Member
Reaction score
KingofCards said:
I don't think it is a pirate ship. Locke said it was a mining expedition. It had a drill and then all those dudes in shackles, like slaves. Dynamite would fit in with miners.

Did anyone see the extra scene on Good Morning America? What was it about?

Taped it, will watch when I get home and post about it...if it's worth posting about :)

Mike

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MadCardDisease said:
The other thing about the radar that was bogus. Clearly they had it fixed to the main mast and it could only point in one direction. However the radar screen showed a spinning radar capable of seeing 360 degrees.

No wonder the Iraqi Republican guard never saw us coming!

:thumbup:

Was that the radar, or the dish for the transceiver? I think it was the dish. I wondered the same thing since normally radar has a round deal with a beam that goes around 360 degrees to see as you said. I just assumed it was somewhere in the bow of the boat that we couldn't see.

I did find it funny that Walt hit a log out in open ocean with nothing else on the water in sight. And it appeared that even the tallest adult didn't have a clear view out in front of them it seemed to be blocked by the sail and their center console?

To the other radar comment again I just can't believe any plane that ever had radar would have one with such limited range, at the speeds planes travel miles are really insignifcant. It's bugging me enough I emailed my dad to ask about it. He had a pilot's license 20+ years ago and is pretty up to date on things like radar so he'll let me know if I'm way off base or not about the whole radar deal.

Last edited:

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
To the other radar comment again I just can't believe any plane that ever had radar would have one with such limited range, at the speeds planes travel miles are really insignifcant. It's bugging me enough I emailed my dad to ask about it. He had a pilot's license 20+ years ago and is pretty up to date on things like radar so he'll let me know if I'm way off base or not about the whole radar deal.

A plane wouldn't have one with that limited of a range. However the way they filmed it showed the boat practically leaving the radar screen and then turning around and finding them in very short time. I'm just saying the entire radar thing is bogus hollywood stuff.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MadCardDisease said:
A plane wouldn't have one with that limited of a range. However the way they filmed it showed the boat practically leaving the radar screen and then turning around and finding them in very short time. I'm just saying the entire radar thing is bogus hollywood stuff.

Yeah that was my point sort of, they got it off a plane so unless the height of the dish/antenna correlates to range, (and it may well) there's no way it would be so limited, and then it should have shown the island.

Mainly I was wondering if it was a mistake, or if the island just doesn't show on radar and that's why it's undiscovered.

As Mike said I'm just overthinking the whole thing, but it just bugged me. I'll see what my dad has to say about it, he's my science expert if anybody would know the radar scoop it's him.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
KingofCards said:

It wasn't a pirate ship (I commented on it before seeing the whole thing on TIVO was flipping back and forth between Lost and the Dbacks game). However in saying that it doesn't mean pirates weren't involved ... pirates do 2 things murder and steal usually in that order so its not out of the realm of possibility that the pirates just stole the ship. It was probably just a simple mining ship though

eh Who knows? Whenever I think I got something figured out, this show pulls me in another direction. I love it

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
MadCardDisease said:

Nuh uh, I saw it on TV therefore it was real. :rolleyes: :D

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Season 2 Preview

First, go here:

http://www.oceanic-air.com/seatingchart.htm

Now, at the bottom of the seating chart are the seating numbers, click the special *numbers* in this order.

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42

don't click the seat, just the numbers

There is a bunch of other hidden stuff if you poke around. I found a script that kind of describes the monster on one page.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Click on "Home" to get to the Important Annoucement. There is some hidden text:

Robert D. West, of Santa Barbara, California, USA survived a horrific plane crash and is stranded on an island somewhere Northeast of Australia and Southwest of Hawaii. In the event that I am never found, please forward word of my fate to parents, Mr. and Mrs. John West, of Tucson Arizona. Thank you.

Robert

The Page from the script is also hidden there.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you track fligth 815 it says

815 Alert SYD 14:04 14:08 15 LAX 03:16 03:23 42

Pretty cool!

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member