Lyon and Slaten

ThunderCard

Reaction score
Our bullpen needs a shakeup in the worst way. These two are just not going to get it done. I agree we need another bat in the lineup, but can we clean up the bullpen first and let the younger hitters keep developing.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure what is wrong with Lyon - he was money for most of the season.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Lyon had a good run but he doesn't have great stuff. He's gonna get knocked around. Slaten should be released.

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
A good run this season and an excellent run the entire last season...what he was doing this year is no fluke. He'll be just fine. Maybe he's just better suited to be the 8th inning pitcher, but I still have some faith in him. We do need more relievers though in the worst way because whenever one of our guys is struggling, or injured, we have a guy like Lyon pitching three straight games. They need to go out and trade for a reliever who could take over one of the top three spots when Qualls, Pena, Cruz or Lyon are struggling and it would help if we could also bring back Scherzer....Rosales, Slaten and Robertson just aren't very good pitchers.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
A good run this season and an excellent run the entire last season...what he was doing this year is no fluke. He'll be just fine. Maybe he's just better suited to be the 8th inning pitcher, but I still have some faith in him. We do need more relievers though in the worst way because whenever one of our guys is struggling, or injured, we have a guy like Lyon pitching three straight games. They need to go out and trade for a reliever who could take over one of the top three spots when Qualls, Pena, Cruz or Lyon are struggling and it would help if we could also bring back Scherzer....Rosales, Slaten and Robertson just aren't very good pitchers.

Lyon is a better setup reliever than closer. He failed as a closer in Boston and it looks like the league has caught up to him. He has been downright horrible the past few weeks.

Josh Byrnes got robbed in the Valverde trade. The Diamondbacks had the best bullpen last year(Cruz, Pena, Lyon & Valverde) but Josh had to mess with it. I don't care if Valverde was going to ask for more money, this organization signed Eric Byrnes for $30 million.

AZZenny

Reaction score
Josh Byrnes got robbed in the Valverde trade. The Diamondbacks had the best bullpen last year(Cruz, Pena, Lyon & Valverde) but Josh had to mess with it. I don't care if Valverde was going to ask for more money, this organization signed Eric Byrnes for $30 million.
:yeahthat:

Yep. A lot of bad decisions flowed from that Eric Byrnes deal, and bringing back RJ, for that matter. And likely more bad decisions to come, dictated by pure dollar dumps.

Lyons has never impressed me as anything special, and he's pissing me off now. (Of course he's pissing off the Starting pitchers even more.) Slaten was totally mediocre in Arizona Fall League, and I was startled to see him make the Bullpen. With Cruz on the DL, we're very seriously limited.

Last edited:

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
Robbed when Valverde is only doing a little better than Qualls this season? And with two horrible months similar to what Qualls has... Valverde has dropped off greatly from last season. At the price he was asking for, it would have been another bad signing for Byrnes and he'd attract as much hate this forum as regularly as all our other relievers have been.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lyon's ERA was 2.77 before today, and he had went six appearances without giving up a run prior to yesterday, but unfortunately for relievers they're considered only as good as their last game. The problem is, relievers that are anywhere close to decent cost a fortune near the deadline, so the Diamondbacks are probably going to have to just ride this out.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Robbed when Valverde is only doing a little better than Qualls this season? And with two horrible months similar to what Qualls has... Valverde has dropped off greatly from last season. At the price he was asking for, it would have been another bad signing for Byrnes and he'd attract as much hate this forum as regularly as all our other relievers have been.

Valverde had a bad April but since then he has been pitching like he did last year. Looking back, the Diamondbacks would of greatly benefitted with not making that trade and having Valverde on this team. If they decided not to keep him, they would of received high draft picks for losing him to free agency.

OP
OP
ThunderCard

ThunderCard

Reaction score
Lyon's ERA was 2.77 before today, and he had went six appearances without giving up a run prior to yesterday, but unfortunately for relievers they're considered only as good as their last game. The problem is, relievers that are anywhere close to decent cost a fortune near the deadline, so the Diamondbacks are probably going to have to just ride this out.

It must be every time I watch those two play. I catch about 1-2 games a week and every time they are giving up runs I have the tube turned on. Regardless the D-Back bullpen does not have great stuff ...

Reaction score
Everyone's gotta take a deep breath after this very fustrating loss. Yes, Lyon has had 2 tough days but hes been money all year. This is a very long season, your not gonna be sensational all year long. Don't forget that Velverde had his share of rough times last season too. I agree that if he can't get over this soon u have to make changes but right now you gotta keep confidence in your closer.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm assuming Pena will be the closer tomorrow because I highly doubt Lyon will pitch four days in a row. They need a big game from Randy and a lot of runs from the offense.

I hope Lyon can get thru this because I don't see Melvin switching closers, even if Lyon continues to falter.

Desert Rat

Veteran
Reaction score
People are giving Lyon too much rope or was that Chad Qualls in disguise? Lyon was lights-out for most of the year, but what about this weekend? He won't have his "A" stuff every game, but come on, handing away a game to the team you're battling with for the divsion lead after almost doing the same thing the night before is a problem. If you can't hold a three-run lead in the ninth... :rolleyes:

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Brandon Lyon -- Who's Your Daddy

The late John Belushi and his wife Judy married in 1976. It is believed that they had no children.

Brandon Lyon was born in 1979.

Take a look at their pictures. Are we sure John Belushi had no children? :D

Attachments

• Lyon:Belushi.doc
    36 KB · Views: 8
OP
OP
ThunderCard

ThunderCard

Reaction score
Ahhh .. First time watching a game in 9 days and watching Lyon come in a give up 4 hits and 2 runs. I must be this guy's bad luck...

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05