OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
moklerman said:
I wouldn't poo-poo a five game winning streak in the NFL. The point is, all the "franchise" qb's that you guys are regretting not getting wouldn't have put Arizona in the playoffs. Maybe not even stabilized the qb position. I could easily see them all performing at around the level Navarre has if they were put in his position. Not definitely, it's just that these guys were put on good teams and didn't screw things up. That's a lot different than going to a losing team with o-line issues. The money spent to get the 1st round guy will also hinder repairing the o-line and other areas that will put the team in a position to not improve as quickly.

Jax was 6-10 the 2 years prior to drafting Leftwich, and won 5 his rookie year.

Pitt was 6-10 the year before Ben, 15-1 the year after. Not saying Ben was worth 9 wins but they weren't a very good team the prior year largely because they couldn't run the ball, 31st in rushing yardage that year. Everyone conveniently forgets that when they say oh anybody could play QB with that rungame.

Why do QBs get so much money?

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Everyone conveniently forgets that when they say oh anybody could play QB with that rungame.
That was the year they thought Bettis was done and handed the running game over to Amos Zeroue. After 5 or 6 games it was evident that wasn't going to work and they were out of rhythm all year. Maddox had them at 10-5-1 and he's borderline starter at best. Batch? Maddox? Ben's the first starting caliber qb they've had in years. Put Brad Johnson on that team and I bet they have 12 wins.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
moklerman said:
So you can definitely say that Navarre wouldn't improve with the same situation? I can't. Remember, he hasn't even been getting 2nd string rep's for the most part. I don't know if he'll be good or not but I don't think he's been given a chance.

So you want us to cut Warner and give Navarre starter reps?

Green is the coach, Green is teh QB guru, and Green has kept Navarre behind Josh, King and Warner the last 2 years. Clearly Green didn't think he was worth playing more, why do you?

2 years ago Green talked up McCown because he wasn't going to draft Ben and wanted to have a fallback when people complained he wasn't picking a QB. Now he's talking up Navarre probably again so if he doesn't draft a QB people will not complain.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
moklerman said:
That was the year they thought Bettis was done and handed the running game over to Amos Zeroue. After 5 or 6 games it was evident that wasn't going to work and they were out of rhythm all year. Maddox had them at 10-5-1 and he's borderline starter at best. Batch? Maddox? Ben's the first starting caliber qb they've had in years. Put Brad Johnson on that team and I bet they have 12 wins.

Wasn't that simple. they were 2-4 in the games they started Amos, and 4-6 in the games they started Bettis.

the problem was OL injuries and poor play. They fixed the OL and the run game came back.

And thanks for making my point for me "Ben's the first starting caliber QB they've had in years." That's my whole point, if they hadn't drafted him they wouldn't have a starting caliber QB, and even you admit he was a viable starter as a rookie which is about as rare as things get in the NFL.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
moklerman said:
So you can definitely say that Navarre wouldn't improve with the same situation? I can't. Remember, he hasn't even been getting 2nd string rep's for the most part. I don't know if he'll be good or not but I don't think he's been given a chance.

So you're saying pass on a top pick, Heisman winning, proven college QB, who has led his team to 2 National Championships and on the cusp of a third just so we can give a 7th round, statue.. arguably the most hated QB in Michigan history.. a chance?

:thud:

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
So you want us to cut Warner and give Navarre starter reps?
No, but I don't think drafting a high priced, first round qb that's as big of a risk as Navarre is the right way to go either. I definitely wouldn't give up on him already. I actually like Davey better as a potential starter down the road but I don't know that the Cards will bring him back.
That's my whole point, if they hadn't drafted him they wouldn't have a starting caliber QB, and even you admit he was a viable starter as a rookie which is about as rare as things get in the NFL.
So, if it's so rare, why would you want to draft a guy that will likely have to start at some point? I have no idea what Green thinks about Navarre but I do think he hasn't been given much of a chance. Green may know that Navarre will never amount to anything and I'd trust his judgement on the subject more than mine, but he's also, apparently, willing to elevate Navarre to #2 with a good chance to start games so he might actually think Navarre's improved since his rookie year.

CardinalLaw

Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
2 years ago Green talked up McCown because he wasn't going to draft Ben and wanted to have a fallback when people complained he wasn't picking a QB. Now he's talking up Navarre probably again so if he doesn't draft a QB people will not complain.
You don't think there is any chance possible he believed McCown might have QB potential then. I would still have taken Fitz over Ben. Knowing now what I do, But thats just me. Ben's a 6-10 winner here. Fitz was the BPA.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Navarre isn't that good. McCown isn't that good, and Navarre couldn't beat him out.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
So you're saying pass on a top pick, Heisman winning, proven college QB, who has led his team to 2 National Championships and on the cusp of a third just so we can give a 7th round, statue.. arguably the most hated QB in Michigan history.. a chance?
So, you're saying you'd give a marginal armed qb with a bad knee, surgically repaired elbow and shoulder $60 million and one of your other draft picks (likely)?

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
moklerman said:
So, you're saying you'd give a marginal armed qb with a bad knee, surgically repaired elbow and shoulder $60 million and one of your other draft picks (likely)?
No, he's saying he'd give a heisman trophy-winning QB with an unbelievable win-lose record and jaw dropping statistics that played in a pro-style offense $60M and one of our other draft picks.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Personally, I think that Leinart will have a better NFL career than Vince Young. I didn't see anything from Vince Young last night that made me think he could throw a 20-yard out in the NFL. His throwing motion needs to be totally overhauled and I don't think he can operate an NFL offense.

Matt Leinart has been in the position of playing the best defenses playing their best games for three years at USC, operating an NFL-caliber system and often calling his own plays. In a place like the Meadowlands where he'd be throwing into wind all the time, his arm strength would be an issue (which is why the Jets don't want him), but in a Dome, or in San Deigo or Arizona, he'd be a star. The guy is a winner.

For all the hating on running QBs that takes place on this board, I'm a little surprised at the size of the Vince Young bandwagon. Young's playing with equivalent talent as Leinart is, but Young obviously is playing with a significantly smaller playbook. :shrug:

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
moklerman said:

After the career he had... the current state of our QB depth chart... the general lack of a buzz surrounding my team... HELL YES!

Also it's not like the draft is tommorrow. NFL trained eyes will look him over, cut up film, interview him, the medical staff at USC and even his high school before they make a sound decision. I'm fine with that.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
And just so Molker doesn't think we're being classless trolls, I'll let him in on the joke.

Last year there was a poster named "This_Guy" that wasn't a Cardinal fan, but rather a Shaun King fan.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CardinalLaw said:
You don't think there is any chance possible he believed McCown might have QB potential then. I would still have taken Fitz over Ben. Knowing now what I do, But thats just me. Ben's a 6-10 winner here. Fitz was the BPA.

Oh I like Fitz too but no I don't believe Green thought Josh was another Daunte or Favre, I think he knew he was going to catch flack if he cut Blake, and didn't draft a QB because at the time everyone was telling us we were drafting Ben. So he had to talk up Josh. Fitz is a hell of a player but it was not a coincidence that Green talked up Josh. Look at how he's yo yoed him since then, he clearly doesn't think nearly as highly of him as he said he did.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Maybe with Leinarts knee brace he can play OL and block for Navarre?

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
For all the hating on running QBs that takes place on this board, I'm a little surprised at the size of the Vince Young bandwagon. Young's playing with equivalent talent as Leinart is, but Young obviously is playing with a significantly smaller playbook. :shrug:

USC on offense is much more talented than Texas this year. Better OL, much better RB's, and MUCH better WR's.

2 years ago with Benson, a great OL and Roy Williams yeah but this year USC had much better talent on offense. Texas had the edge on defense.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AZCB34 said:
Maybe with Leinarts knee brace he can play OL and block for Navarre?

Leinart could have a wooden leg and he'd still make us better.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
USC on offense is much more talented than Texas this year. Better OL, much better RB's, and MUCH better WR's.

2 years ago with Benson, a great OL and Roy Williams yeah but this year USC had much better talent on offense. Texas had the edge on defense.

The proof of that is how USC ran the ball on Texas last night. No one else beat up their front seven nearly as badly this year.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:

:shrug: Young's OL was looking pretty good last night. Had less pressure on him than Leinart did. I mean, I dunno. I agree with Matt that 'SC had the better team last night, and Vince Young is a great college player, but I don't think he'll be a great pro. Honestly, I don't think he'll be a good pro.

Hard to invest a $20 million bonus in a guy who told ESPN last night that the secret to his success was that Mack Brown & Co. stopped coaching him.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
After the career he had... the current state of our QB depth chart... the general lack of a buzz surrounding my team... HELL YES!
No, he's saying he'd give a heisman trophy-winning QB with an unbelievable win-lose record and jaw dropping statistics that played in a pro-style offense $60M and one of our other draft picks.
Well, I'll be praying for ya if you bet the farm like that on a qb, especially Leinart. If the team's record was all that mattered, Jason White would have been in the NFL. Heck, he put up better numbers than Leinart. Now, that's an extreme example but he had a bad knee and marginal arm too. Leinart would be a death sentence for the Cardinals. The line wouldn't be better, the running game wouldn't be better and Leinart would have to try and survive behind this line and he hasn't show that he takes hits too well.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
moklerman said:
Leinart would be a death sentence for the Cardinals. The line wouldn't be better, the running game wouldn't be better and Leinart would have to try and survive behind this line and he hasn't show that he takes hits too well.
Do you think the Cards would get Lienart and just say, "great draft, everybody. Good luck on your golf games the rest of the season"? No, they'll work on the line, too (which, by the way, was pretty good in pass protection).

It's funny, because many people thought the Cardinals would be a death sentence for Warner because of the line, but he did okay.

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They missed Leftwich, that's why they're starting him this weekend.

Wanna bet? Rumor is Del Rio is pulling a Bellichek and will start Garrard. Leftwich is still hurt.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
kerouac9 said:
:shrug: Young's OL was looking pretty good last night. Had less pressure on him than Leinart did. I mean, I dunno. I agree with Matt that 'SC had the better team last night, and Vince Young is a great college player, but I don't think he'll be a great pro. Honestly, I don't think he'll be a good pro.

Hard to invest a $20 million bonus in a guy who told ESPN last night that the secret to his success was that Mack Brown & Co. stopped coaching him.

I just mean at RB and WR USC is way ahead of Texas. OL is pretty close.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
No, they'll work on the line, too (which, by the way, was pretty good in pass protection).
And they would have a lot less money under the cap and wouldn't have an opportunity at a 1st round round difference maker somewhere else on the field. Or a second round pick or whatever it would take to get Leinart.

Just like Eli, Leinart wouldn't be anything resembling a value for the Cardinals. Switching draft spots and giving up another plus the huge contract he would commmand as well as possibly holding out untilt he huge contract is negotiated...man, I just don't see how this looks attractive.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05