Matt leinart draft prediction

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
moklerman said:
there's no way he's going to help a team that draft's him in the first round
Are you talking about not helping a team in '06?

News flash: Most teams realize this about rookie QBs.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know what bugged me about Lienart tonight? His post-game interview; he ended it by saying "I still think we're the better team." Way to be a gracious loser, Matt.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
And the Leinart is a choker line is probably the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Not surprising it's coming from a Rams fan.
A Cardinals fan trying to insult ANY other team would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

I don't want to insult the fan's who've displayed incredible loyalty to a team that doesn't deserve it, but please know when to keep your mouth shut. I don't brag about being a Rams fan, but good lord, you can't honestly think you have any room to talk.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Are you talking about not helping a team in '06?

News flash: Most teams realize this about rookie QBs.
I'm talking about a team that draft's him early will be in sad shape because of the contract they'll have to pay him.

His reputation will get him a good spot in the draft, nice signing bonus and a ton of NFL struggles. I didn't want to believe it but it's just been going on all year long. Maybe it was the offseason surgery and he'll be better next year, but as of right now, especially if he's healthy, he's not going to last in the NFL. Teams will only give him the short, underneath passing game he's been surviving on all year for so long. Eventually he'll have to prove he can throw down the field and I think he'll be toast.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
moklerman said:
His reputation will get him a good spot in the draft, nice signing bonus and a ton of NFL struggles.
We'll see. I'm sure he'll have his fair share of struggles, as most young QBs do in the NFL, but I think some of these posts speaking out against Lienart are going to look pretty silly in 5 years.

It's interesting, on one hand we have a bunch of posters saying "I don't have much confidence in a QB that didn't win in college (Cutler)" and on the other hand we have posters saying, "he only won 34 in a row because of his supporting cast (Leinart)." There's gotta be some give somewhere.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
There's gotta be some give somewhere
I really don't know much about Cutler but I can give you the exact antithesis of Leinart: Vince Young. He's largely responsible for Texas' 20 game streak and National Championship. Leinart was more of a caretaker asked not to screw things up more than anything else. Believe me, I was high on and hopeful about Leinart after he won the Heisman last year but watching him play this year really changed my perspective. I'm sure he's made some plays this year but he hasn't shown himself to be NFL caliber to me. His vaunted intangibles completely disappeared tonight and were evident all year long. Even the biggest moment of the year against Notre Dame was made by Bush pushing Leinart into the end zone. Leinart fumbled the play before and couldn't get into the end zone.

I think he's plummeting toward Gino Toretta status. That may be extreme, but they're both lefties, both led national championship teams (both team's won 34 in a row, coincidentally), both won the Heisman and I think Leinart will follow as a relative bust in the NFL. I think it may be a big part of the reason he went back for another run with USC.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
He won't pull an Aaron Rodgers free fall but I'm going to predict right now that Leinart won't go 2nd and might not even be the first QB drafted.

Something is wrong with this kid it's about the 4th time this year I've seen him either look like he has a concussion(which he might) or is sick. No velocity, I agree with Keith Jackson who said he took a lick earlier in the game and then the 2nd hard one late in the half.

I really think NFL scouts are going to look at him and say 2 arm surgeries, and beginning to look like he can't take hits without getting woozy, and he'll slide.

Great player but this is just too many times this year where he just looks like he is punch drunk or something.

Actually after watching his post game interview he reminds me of a turd. Said "we are still the better team than Texas" as he pushed the microphones out of his face and took off.....show some class.

CardsFan222

Rookie
Reaction score
Ok where to start

People that are syaing Leinart is not a top prospect is nuts.He has been running a pro style offense for three years now and a lotof those big plays the other guys get is because of the plays he changes to once he gets to the line. He might not have elite arm strength but its not like he has no arm at all,and he puts the ball where it needs to be for his recievers to make plays. He makes the throws when he has to. Like that pass he hit to the FB in the first and the throw he made in the ND game. He plays his best football when his team needs it the most. The man has looked pressure right in the face and has never backed down. Does Kurt Warner have elite arm strength???????? does Drew Brees????? And so what he said he thinks they are the better team. All he showed me was he does not accept failure and that Texas made the plays when they had to. I love the show some class line to. I hate the "we did our best and we played a good game and we will get them next year" CRAP. He was not happy in the way his team performed and it gets to him
The only thing i have read on this post that makes any sense is what Russ said. I think he might have a problem with concussions. and that might be the reason he does not go top 5.

All that said, I have said before I think Young is the best QB in college, but to say That Leinart is not very good or he is not a top prospect is to harsh.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
CardsFan222 said:
Ok where to start

People that are syaing Leinart is not a top prospect is nuts.He has been running a pro style offense for three years now and a lotof those big plays the other guys get is because of the plays he changes to once he gets to the line. He might not have elite arm strength but its not like he has no arm at all,and he puts the ball where it needs to be for his recievers to make plays. He makes the throws when he has to. Like that pass he hit to the FB in the first and the throw he made in the ND game. He plays his best football when his team needs it the most. The man has looked pressure right in the face and has never backed down. Does Kurt Warner have elite arm strength???????? does Drew Brees????? And so what he said he thinks they are the better team. All he showed me was he does not accept failure and that Texas made the plays when they had to. I love the show some class line to. I hate the "we did our best and we played a good game and we will get them next year" CRAP. He was not happy in the way his team performed and it gets to him
The only thing i have read on this post that makes any sense is what Russ said. I think he might have a problem with concussions. and that might be the reason he does not go top 5.

All that said, I have said before I think Young is the best QB in college, but to say That Leinart is not very good or he is not a top prospect is to harsh.
:thumbup:

Couldn't agree more.

Payton Manning doesn't have elite arm strength either.

The interview incident.... Well, they are a better team. A better team that got beat by one player. Why wouldn't he be upset? It wasn't a classy move, but sliding in the draft because of the interview? Please!!!!

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
moklerman said:
I really don't know much about Cutler but I can give you the exact antithesis of Leinart: Vince Young. He's largely responsible for Texas' 20 game streak and National Championship. Leinart was more of a caretaker asked not to screw things up more than anything else. Believe me, I was high on and hopeful about Leinart after he won the Heisman last year but watching him play this year really changed my perspective. I'm sure he's made some plays this year but he hasn't shown himself to be NFL caliber to me. His vaunted intangibles completely disappeared tonight and were evident all year long. Even the biggest moment of the year against Notre Dame was made by Bush pushing Leinart into the end zone. Leinart fumbled the play before and couldn't get into the end zone.

I think he's plummeting toward Gino Toretta status. That may be extreme, but they're both lefties, both led national championship teams (both team's won 34 in a row, coincidentally), both won the Heisman and I think Leinart will follow as a relative bust in the NFL. I think it may be a big part of the reason he went back for another run with USC.
When did Gino Toretta start chucking it southpaw style? Leinart's numbers were better this year than last. The guy was 14/15 prior to the final drive in the second half.It's okay if you don't like him but at least show some kind of perspective when ripping on him.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BACH said:
:thumbup:

Couldn't agree more.

Payton Manning doesn't have elite arm strength either.

The interview incident.... Well, they are a better team. A better team that got beat by one player. Why wouldn't he be upset? It wasn't a classy move, but sliding in the draft because of the interview? Please!!!!

Just to clarify, I still think Leinart is a great player. My concern is that Leinart is already showing signs that we typically see in 32 year old NFL veteran QBs who've got hit too many times.

He was phenomenal in the 2nd half, but there was something wrong with him in the first half and it was BEFORE he got lit up on that scramble. Pete Carroll was asked about it last night and it's on the USC boards this morning. Carroll refused to answer the question, denied that he had talked to his backup QB Booty(even though ABC caught it on camera) and denied that he told Booty to warm up, even though apparently Booty WAS on the sideline warming up briefly in the first half(I don't think ABC showed it). Leinart apparently got his bell rung and cleared his head at the half.

That stuff gets worse not better, I really think concerns on his health will make him fall, not concerns about his ability to play.

duckfallas

All Star
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
That stuff gets worse not better, I really think concerns on his health will make him fall, not concerns about his ability to play.

That is what I thought about Mike Pittman and he's gone on to play far longer in the NFL than I thought he ever would.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Just to clarify, I still think Leinart is a great player. My concern is that Leinart is already showing signs that we typically see in 32 year old NFL veteran QBs who've got hit too many times.

He was phenomenal in the 2nd half, but there was something wrong with him in the first half and it was BEFORE he got lit up on that scramble. Pete Carroll was asked about it last night and it's on the USC boards this morning. Carroll refused to answer the question, denied that he had talked to his backup QB Booty(even though ABC caught it on camera) and denied that he told Booty to warm up, even though apparently Booty WAS on the sideline warming up briefly in the first half(I don't think ABC showed it). Leinart apparently got his bell rung and cleared his head at the half.

Just to add to my post I've been reading a USC board and it appears the whole Booty warming up story may be false. Keith Jackson, who clearly needs to retire, is the one who said Carroll talked to Booty and then Booty warmed up. We saw Caroll talking to #10 on the bench, with his helmet on and Booty wears #10. Well as a bunch of USC fans point out, so does LB Brian Cushing, and since they don't have names on the jerseys, these fans swear it was Cushing, not Booty, that ABC caught Carroll talking to, and that Jackson "made up" the comment about Booty warming up.

To my knowledge ABC never showed us Booty warming up.

I still think Leinart looked punch drunk in the first half and that's about the third or 4th time this year I've seen him look like that.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:

They didn't. Keith Jackson was hitting the Wild Turkey hard.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NEZCardsfan said:
They didn't. Keith Jackson was hitting the Wild Turkey hard.

Yeah I'm inclined to think the USC fans are right that it wasn't Booty because later in the game I saw Cushing talking to Carroll on the sideline after he missed a tackle on Young and I remember thinking hey that's Cushing not Booty.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Yeah I'm inclined to think the USC fans are right that it wasn't Booty because later in the game I saw Cushing talking to Carroll on the sideline after he missed a tackle on Young and I remember thinking hey that's Cushing not Booty.

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Young/Cushing/Booty. LOL.......sorry. :(

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
Just to add to my post I've been reading a USC board and it appears the whole Booty warming up story may be false. Keith Jackson, who clearly needs to retire, is the one who said Carroll talked to Booty and then Booty warmed up. We saw Caroll talking to #10 on the bench, with his helmet on and Booty wears #10. Well as a bunch of USC fans point out, so does LB Brian Cushing, and since they don't have names on the jerseys, these fans swear it was Cushing, not Booty, that ABC caught Carroll talking to, and that Jackson "made up" the comment about Booty warming up.

I still think Leinart looked punch drunk in the first half and that's about the third or 4th time this year I've seen him look like that.

I was just going to say that. It was NOT Booty. That was Cushing. The guy had a dirty jersey and was clearly sweating as if he had been in the game. Unless Booty plays special teams it was not him.

Keith Jackson was really off last night. He missed call after call. He is done. I hear that his contract is up and no talks have been had, but ESPN/ABC wants him back (probably lip service)

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NEZCardsfan said:
:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Young/Cushing/Booty. LOL.......sorry. :(

AS I was writing that I was thinking man I'm leaving myself wide open for something. :D

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
clif said:
I was just going to say that. It was NOT Booty. That was Cushing. The guy had a dirty jersey and was clearly sweating as if he had been in the game. Unless Booty plays special teams it was not him.

Keith Jackson was really off last night. He missed call after call. He is done. I hear that his contract is up and no talks have been had, but ESPN/ABC wants him back (probably lip service)

Yeah the guys on the USC board are adamant it was Cushing not Booty. They said Carroll is being "nice" by not just saying look guys Keith Jackson is senile that wasn't John Booty it was Brian Cushing.

I still think Leinart was woozy in the first half, even Fouts said more than once he thought something was up with Leinart in the first half, but clearly being told Booty was warming up influences your opinion so to find out that wasn't true, changes things a bit.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
clif said:

So, he screwed up a couple of times. When you hear his voice, it still gives the feeling of a "big game". The guy has done more big time college games than anyone, who would ABC replace him with? Musberger?

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I wouldn't at all be upset if we just sat at 10 and took the best playmaker available (who addresses a need) like we have for the past two years.

Ed Burmila

Registered
Reaction score
Keith Jackson was horrendous last night. He and that color man sounded like two old barroom drunks bantering about a game.

From the Vince Young lateral to the blown INT calls to the facemask on the last drive that they insisted was a late hit, I can't recall too much that they didn't butcher.

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:
So, he screwed up a couple of times. When you hear his voice, it still gives the feeling of a "big game". The guy has done more big time college games than anyone, who would ABC replace him with? Musberger?

No doubt, but you want your play by play guy to actually be able to call the plays and not make up stuff because he can't see the action anymore.

MastersofCombat

Basketball Junkie
Reaction score
Matt Leinhart has serious problems awaiting his future, or should I say the team that waste a huge pick on him.

Mentality that was thought to be soo good was obvious he cant stand losing.
Seemingly a RYAN LEAF like post game performance.

Concussions wow wow wow bet that is boding well on draft nite