Mike Gandy - Cards will overpay

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Why don't you take a look at the Dallas board and see how happy their are with that signing? You might be very surprised.

Wow...our message board didn't want him and their message board didn't want him! How did he get a contract?

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow...our message board didn't want him and their message board didn't want him! How did he get a contract?

All those players and coaches who voted him s Pro Bowl alternate twice were probably just trying to set up Jones.

AntSports Steve

Cardinals Future GM
Reaction score
Dallas was one bad hold from going to the NFC Championship game. Adding Big to their OL will improve it. If their new coachs and Owens don't screw it up, they should easily make the playoffs again.

For a player who has been on the Cards for 6 years, going to the playoffs might be pretty cool.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Happy Trails to LD. Gandy blocked for McGahee. As i recall, McGahee rushed over a thousands yards the past 2 season. Gandy was blocking for the man. I can safely say Gandy is a better option than Davis was.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
I've heard this reasoning a lot this offseason and I don't really agree with it. Yes, Leinart will be able to see the guy who is about to drill him in the chest and pound his shoulder into the ground. But, the fact is the best DEs play over the LT, so the defense will be getting the matchup they want anyhow if our best T is at RT.

The TE lines up on to the frontside next to the OT.

Since Leinart is a lefty, our TE is almost always lined up on the left next to the LT. That creates more traffic, which slow the DE down. It's only a split second but it slows the DE enough for the OT to get a bigger advantage.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Happy Trails to LD. Gandy blocked for McGahee. As i recall, McGahee rushed over a thousands yards the past 2 season. Gandy was blocking for the man. I can safely say Gandy is a better option than Davis was.

Well,Edge rushed for over 1000 yards with Davis blocking for him. So, i have to question that logic.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score

McGahee's career average - 3.9
He did not rush for 1000 yards last year and only broke 1200 once.
The Bills are not only trying to trade McGahee away but they have no interest in Gandy what so ever.
More then half of McGahee's yards came while Gandy was benched to OG duty, not OT.

Last edited:

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Well,Edge rushed for over 1000 yards with Davis blocking for him. So, i have to question that logic.

The difference here is that Davis didn't do it for the other runningbacks, before James came to az. A back like james should be getting 1400-1500 yards a season. Not just barely getting over the 1000 yard mark. Plus, most of Jame's rushing yards came up the middle or on the right side. I can remeber James getting creamed almost every time he ran to his left.

McGahee on the other hand rushed well over a thousand yards in the 2 season Gandy was starting.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
McGahee on the other hand rushed well over a thousand yards in the 2 season Gandy was starting.

Since when is 1128, 1247, 990 well over a 1000 yards.

Mcgahee's best year came his rookie year in 2004.

Gandy came to town and played in 2005 and 2006, playing half OT and half OG. McGahee has yet to reproduce his rookie year of 4.0 YPC and double digit TD's.

RonF

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Reaction score
I've heard this reasoning a lot this offseason and I don't really agree with it. Yes, Leinart will be able to see the guy who is about to drill him in the chest and pound his shoulder into the ground. But, the fact is the best DEs play over the LT, so the defense will be getting the matchup they want anyhow if our best T is at RT.

I can see the same thing happening with the Cowboys...in between the false starts

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
From Kent's blog. Take it for what its worth

Two o-linemen
03/04/2007 03:06 PM

Just talked to Mike Gandy of the Bills and Al Johnson of the Cowboys, who are visited today.

Gandy said this is the place he wants to be. He wants his agent to work out a contract, and he doesn't want to take any more visits.

Johnson sounded encouraged about becoming a Cardinal. He has an offer from Tampa, but it wasn't lucrative enough for him to cancel any trips.

Reggie Kelly, a tight end from Cincinnati, had an earlier flight to catch and couldn't meet with reporters. It's doesn't look like we'll get to speak with cornerback Roderick Hood, from Philadelphia. He was the other free agent to visit today.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
From Kent's blog. Take it for what its worth

So if I got this right. One Mike Gandy is talking the talk about not wanting to visit anywhere else, yippee. We allowed Kelly to leave town without a signing a deal, has an offer from Atlanta and is stilling going to visit the Raiders. And Hood was allowed to leave town as well. And Al Johnson we have no clue what his plans are.

ishbin

Rookie
Reaction score
sounds to me like whis is intending to draft levi brown, & graves wants to trade down a few spots if possible to do so. there are a good amount of nfl guys out there that think levi brown will be a better pro than joe thomas. i refuse to believe that gandy, ross, or gorin are going to start for us.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Gandy came to town and played in 2005 and 2006, playing half OT and half OG. McGahee has yet to reproduce his rookie year of 4.0 YPC and double digit TD's.

Yeah, but look at the splits:

BUF, 2006:
Left End: 4.57 YPC
Left Tackle: 4.36 YPC

Notice that those numbers are higher than the 4.00 YPC we averaged with BIG off end and tackle. To me that illustrates that Gandy has value, atleast as a run blocker.

The attitude to Gandy sounds exactly like the attitude to Milford Brown when he first signed. Then Brown got some decent coaching and was put at LG and he developed into an absolute mauler.

Last edited:

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Here is Gandy's scouting report...

"Gandy has above-average size for the offensive line position and is an average athlete. He started as an offensive tackle but was moved inside to offensive guard mid way through the season. Mike is somewhat of a 'tweener in that he does not have great power and punch as a run blocker and does not have great foot quickness and agility to be effective on a consistent basis on the edge. He is a tough and competitive player and his best asset may be his versatility and experience. Gandy was not effective as a left tackle as he could not anchor versus power rushers and could not recover to speed and counters on the edge. He does use his hands well and has a good feel for leverage and body positioning. Gandy tends to play high and his stiffness is glaring when attempting blocks on the second level. Mike does have value as a swing player but may be best suited as an offensive guard. His intelligence and toughness can get you through a game in a pinch but the Bills front office may consider him as versatile backup if they can acquire a solid starter."

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
may be best suited as an offensive guard. His intelligence and toughness can get you through a game in a pinch but the Bills front office may consider him as versatile backup if they can acquire a solid starter."

Which is scary when he has failed two years in a row at T for Buff, then replaced by a free agent that had worse stats than him from Oak, and Whiz says he is a proven T in this league. Proven he sucks maybe.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Yeah, but look at the splits:

BUF, 2006:
Left End: 4.57 YPC
Left Tackle: 4.36 YPC

Notice that those numbers are higher than the 4.00 YPC we averaged with BIG off end and tackle. To me that illustrates that Gandy has value, atleast as a run blocker.

The attitude to Gandy sounds exactly like the attitude to Milford Brown when he first signed. Then Brown got some decent coaching and was put at LG and he developed into an absolute mauler.

You may have had a point if Gandy actually played LT for more then half the season while in Buffalo. He played OG more then he played LT last year.

Denny Green Fan

Registered
Reaction score
Mike Gandy

Takes decent angles and has adequate quickness. Decent in short areas. Can shuffle laterally and stays balanced. Not as effective in the open field and on pulls and traps. Inconsistent at hitting moving targets and changing directions. Best as a reserve