Mini Camp First Impressions

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just got back and Jo has an article in the works, I have some pictures but they will take me a day to get cut down to size and edited.

My first comment is IMO I see far more agression from the coaches. Everybody runs everywhere. Nobody sits around ever.

I really like the new OL coach, he even hit me :D . After practice I was asking him something specific about the drills, so he grabbed me and showed me what he was talking about. Big guy, particualrly when he grabs skin then thumps you. Liked him a lot, I also understood more about his drill and what he was looking for from the players.

Quite hot with a fair number of bugs around (until a breeze picked up).

Highlight of the day was getting to meet Caoch Green one on 1 before practice. It was one of those coincidences where we both came out of a door and headed aross the field together. He seemed very amenable to talking and asked who I was with, that's about as much as you can get while walking arocss a football field.

Lex

troublemaker
Reaction score
Good job Nidan-

If you're ever in the mood, I'd love to pop you a few times too, a spin move, perhaps a head slap, at least let me engage you, and when your outside foot is off the ground, do a swim move?

Seriously, I look forward to your insight on the differences in practice between this year and last. All the reports from ASFNers at the training facility are greatly appreciated.

CaliCards

Registered
Reaction score
Good stuff. Please, tell us anything you hear about the Cards D-Line. :help:

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good Job Ian. Just curious - do you Jo and Jim feel more at ease this second time around? Are there still people around the club who recognize and remember you? Is it making your work easier?

PopToosweet

The Birdman
Reaction score
No Show

Was there any surprises.......Players that didn't show up who you expected? How did everyone look?

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nidan----you da man!!!! I'm really looking forward to Jo's article. Thanks.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
PopToosweet said:
so tell me how did the man look? You know who I am talking about.......Q
The coaches had to take him aside and tell him to stop running such perfect routes because it was making the other recievers look bad

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
The only question that I got and IMO is the most important of this first mini camp is: Does 'Big' look like a big 400 lbs(which means fat) or does he look like a slim 350-370 range(which means he is in shape)?

Then one small question, does Dennis Johnson look physically stronger then last year?

IMO that is what is holding him back, his strength.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Did anyone look fat and out of shape? (Besides me standing on the sideline)

PopToosweet

The Birdman
Reaction score
fa real

Jim Omohundro said:
He looks bigger to me. Especially his arms.

Oh okay so the Fla workout helped out.....Q is a big boi anyways...it runs through the family. Wonder if he was giving Lil D some pointers on playing in college.

PopToosweet

The Birdman
Reaction score
q

Ryanwb said:
The coaches had to take him aside and tell him to stop running such perfect routes because it was making the other recievers look bad
Yeah I know he was back home training hard......I even bet he took some time to hit up ole' BlueDevils field to help some of the fellaz back at the crib

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
nidan said:
I really like the new OL coach, he even hit me :D . After practice I was asking him something specific about the drills, so he grabbed me and showed me what he was talking about. Big guy, particualrly when he grabs skin then thumps you. Liked him a lot, I also understood more about his drill and what he was looking for from the players.

Everyone is going to love Bob Wylie. He is going to whip this OL into shape or they will die trying. Top notch coaching hire.

Lex

troublemaker
Reaction score
Bob Kemp just said "I heard more yelling, pushing and prodding, in this practice, than I heard in the last two years combined."

He's impressed with the new coaching.

He also said the reason we didn't sign many big free agents, is because Denny thinks he can win by coaching up the players we already have!

This kind of ego makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

Thats what I'm talking about, right there.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
AZCB34 said:
Everyone is going to love Bob Wylie. He is going to whip this OL into shape or they will die trying. Top notch coaching hire.

This will be the most important aspect of the new regime. The line play on both sides is going to have to improve, without much in the way of new personnel, if this team is going to be successful.

OP
OP
N

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only absence from camp was Ronnie Mac.

He was officaly excused as he was at an NFLPA meeting as the Cardinals platers rep.

OP
OP
N

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lex said:
Good job Nidan-

If you're ever in the mood, I'd love to pop you a few times too, a spin move, perhaps a head slap, at least let me engage you, and when your outside foot is off the ground, do a swim move?
Sure, providing I'm allowed some reverse punches, and elbow strikes or side thrust kicks :)

OP
OP
N

nidan

Oscar
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:
Good Job Ian. Just curious - do you Jo and Jim feel more at ease this second time around? Are there still people around the club who recognize and remember you? Is it making your work easier?
Absolutly, it's far easier, many people (apart from the obvious J O) know us now. In fact we have as good an idea of what is allowed as anybody now. In fact nobody was totally sure what would be allowed for the media today with the new coaching staff.

Some of the more notable ones as LJ Shelton, Josh and not forgetting Rod Graves who came over and chatted for a couple mins. Ronnie Mac would have recongized us had he been there.

maddogkf

You think KFCs still open
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sun Devil Stadium, Sect 27, Row 34, Seat 8
mdamien13 said:
:thumbup:

I hope we extend him pretty soon. Most guys in his situation would be holding out or throwing some kind of fit.
He was offered the tender for RFA. He hasn't had any ohter contact from other teams. The Cards have had the offer on the table for some time now.