Mini Camp First Impressions

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nidan said:
Just got back and Jo has an article in the works, I have some pictures but they will take me a day to get cut down to size and edited.

My first comment is IMO I see far more agression from the coaches. Everybody runs everywhere. Nobody sits around ever.

I really like the new OL coach, he even hit me :D . After practice I was asking him something specific about the drills, so he grabbed me and showed me what he was talking about. Big guy, particualrly when he grabs skin then thumps you. Liked him a lot, I also understood more about his drill and what he was looking for from the players.

Quite hot with a fair number of bugs around (until a breeze picked up).

Highlight of the day was getting to meet Caoch Green one on 1 before practice. It was one of those coincidences where we both came out of a door and headed aross the field together. He seemed very amenable to talking and asked who I was with, that's about as much as you can get while walking arocss a football field.

Nidian - Great job. Thanks for taking the time for us junkies.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We did have coverage before last year though right? I remember people saying how much more energetic guys were after we fired Tobin and what an improvement it was. I also remember a lot of good things coming out of camp last year. Was I wrong?
It's a fair question you're raising. Of course there will be the tendency to be pollyannish at the beginning of each new phase of off-season and preseason.

But I think there are two important differences between coverage -this year and in past years:

1. This is the second year ASFN (Skkorp, Ian, Jo etc.) have had inside media access. Therefore, this is the first opportunity to compare one year's practice tempo, nuances, methodology etc. against the other.

2. We all like to think that, with more experience, comes additional insight and knowledge. The very fact that Ian, Skkorp, Jo etc. have a year under their belt makes it easier for them to separate the really meaningful things from all the bs.

Does this mean that Denny's way will absolutely be a better way than Tobin's or Mac's - and that it will carry us far into the playoffs? Not necessarily (think of his MO as "different" but not necessarily "better" til proved otherwise).

But what I think Ian, Jo and (soon) Skkorp are telling us is that, when you apply common sense logic to what's seems to be going on this year under Denny compared to the way business was conducted during the previous 7 - 9 years, the prospects for success sure look brighter.

One final point - If Denny (as many people expect) turns the Cards into a consistent winner, what you are reading from your "ASFN Roving Reporters" will be like gold - because they will have provided us with an ongoing vivid "case history" picture of the specific things you need to do in order to win in the NFL.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
RedStorm said:
Nidian - Great job. Thanks for taking the time for us junkies.

No doubt. Thanks to all of the ASFN folks. This board is freakin Nirvana.

Obviously, Green and Co. are going to work the guys harder than Mac. And, one thing you HAVE to say about Green, is that, if he has the talent, he'll get it done. I think this year we'll find out how much talent we really have on the team.

I'm stoked, and I'm absolutley positive that we'll be better just because Green is a big time coach. However, the margin between winning and losing in the NFL is pretty thin.

Do we now have enough playmakers on defense? What about offense?

I predict that the Cardinals won't get crushed 41-7 on the road in 04', but, anybody who predicts an 11-5 record is goofy.

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
I think it is great to see the reports on camp and they are up tempo and more intense....however we have to remember that due to injuries that occured during the camps and up in Flagstaff...Macs staff had a change in Philosophy that got them the label of Camp Country CLub. We did start some seasons off pretty good under Mac 4-2 and under Tobin until major injuries to playmakers took place...so to say they are different philosophies isn't really telling the whole story or giving an accurate picture. If we start 3-0 and then Q goes down for the season or our RBs or a corner or two and we fade...it will be said that maybe the early work contributed. I think football is a crap shoot, the players all wanted to play for Coach Mac, they know this year that they have to perform to keep there jobs. With success they will like playing for Coach Green and hopfully build us a winner here in the Valley.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05