Minnesota Fan Source Reports KG in talks with Suns

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, consider me not interested....

I'd rather send Marion out for lesser talent, depth and a pick than send Amare for KG. I love KG, but not at the expense of Amare....

I wouldn't do either but I have to choose? I agree.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think Amare being traded is a VERY real possibility next week. But it won't be for anything less than KG and the 7 or Kobe Bryant. Period. Now, there are arguments for and against either of those trades.

Chemistry was great last season when Amare DIDN'T play. Chemistry stunk this season when Amare did play. It may not be his fault, but you HAVE to look at that and ask the question if Amare's playing affected the locker room. I think you have to concede that it did.

But if Amare does get traded for KG and the #7 (of which most agree it will be Noah, who everyone has put in our starting lineup for some weird reason), and the Suns win the championship next year, will everyone STILL think, like they did last year, that a championship outweighs Amare Stoudemire?

And that is without even mentioning the whole "another microfracture surgery" in a few years thing. I will admit that I like the KG-Amare-Nash trio better than the KG-Marion-Nash trio, but it still isn't that bad. The only thing I see is that at best it's more of a lateral move talent-wise. That means almost certainly that if Amare does get traded for KG, it will be because of chemistry issues, plain and simple.

Sundance

Registered
Reaction score
Stephen A. Smith was apparently on ESPN Radio a minute ago and said the Suns are still trying to get another team involved in order to bring in KG. He also spoke with a few Suns players, and they said they wouldn't mind parting with Amare if it could net them Garnett.

I got this from a Timberwolves board.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Stephen A. Smith was apparently on ESPN a minute ago and said the Suns are still trying to get another team involved to bring in KG. He also spoke with a few Suns players, and they said they would not mind parting with Amare go if it would net them KG.

Sean Marks?

nash2stouds

Reaction score
Stephen A. Smith was apparently on ESPN Radio a minute ago and said the Suns are still trying to get another team involved in order to bring in KG. He also spoke with a few Suns players, and they said they wouldn't mind parting with Amare if it could net them Garnett.

What board?

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If chemistry is a problem, get rid of raja nash and marion, who all seem to think that 05-06 ball was somehow better than 06-07 ball.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
From twondog22 over at boxden

just talked to my source...no really big new info...they reiterated that the suns will send amare to mn b4 the draft unless they can get a third team involved with marion..but bottom line kg is def goin to the suns its just amatter of what the wolves will get back....only thing new they said is that glen taylor is goin on his honey moon on tues to china and though they thought the timing was wierd, being right before the draft, him leaving wont throw a wrench in the deal.......reporting live from behind closed doors via ip, twondog22, your bx senior sports insider correspondent.........

lmao...that last line was for the haters

DevilsFan

Reaction score
But if Amare does get traded for KG and the #7

I think it's going to happen. Why would the Suns have brought in both Noah and Brewer for workouts if they don't plan on drafting them? Their agents never would have agreed to a private workout with the Suns this close to the draft unless there was a VERY good reason to believe the Suns will be in a position to pick there.

I'd be pretty happy with KG and Brewer/Noah for Amare. I'm still not sold that Amare's legs will hold up long term. Despite all the hype about how he's made it back, he's NOT as dominant or explosive as 2005. The chemistry issues are an added caveat. If this trade happens, I won't shed a tear.

Ollie

Croissant Eater
Reaction score
Nothing new, but where there's smoke...

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune...mith,1,5654789.column?coll=cs-bulls-headlines
Sam Smith said:
Timberwolves general manager Kevin McHale is said to be interested in only a limited number of prospects in this draft. Minnesota has the No. 7 pick and McHale supposedly wants a higher pick, which hurts the Bulls at No. 9. That's why there is serious talk of a deal with the Celtics, who have No. 5. Some insist that deal isn't dead yet, and talk of another trade continues to have legs.

All the particulars aren't established, but the basics are the Suns get Garnett, the Celtics get Shawn Marion and the Timberwolves get the No. 5 pick, the Hawks' unprotected first-round pick for next season, which the Suns hold, the Suns' two firsts this year (No. 24 and 29) and the expiring contracts of Kurt Thomas and Theo Ratliff.

The holdup supposedly has been Marion's reluctance to go to Boston—he has an opt-out clause after next season. But this is unlike Garnett's refusal. There's a huge market for Garnett; not so Marion. The Celtics would hold Marion's "Bird contract" rights. They'd be the only team that could realistically make up the $17.8 million Marion would give up if he opts out.
http://www.twincities.com/ci_6214756?source=most_viewed&nclick_check=1
Charley Walters said:
People who know say the Timberwolves have received trade inquiries for Kevin Garnett from more teams than just the oft-reported Phoenix Suns and Boston Celtics. And regardless of whether Garnett is traded by NBA draft time on Thursday, the Wolves are planning on making at least one other deal.

Word is a Wolves-Suns deal that would feature Garnett for Amare Stoudemire has stalled but is still in the works. Initially, the Wolves wanted Stoudemire, 24, for Garnett, 31, but the Suns were offering Shawn Marion, 29.

The Wolves don't want Marion, so the Suns tried to peddle him to Boston through Minnesota VP Kevin McHale's old pal, Celtics director of basketball operations Danny Ainge, in a convoluted three-team deal that would result in the Wolves getting Paul Pierce and Boston's No. 5 pick in the draft, among other considerations. Marion balked, saying he would opt out of his contract after one year (Garnett can do the same after next season). When Garnett balked at a proposed deal to Boston, the Wolves and Suns continued talks.

Team owner Glen Taylor said he doubts the Timberwolves will trade Kevin Garnett this year. However, word is Garnett doesn't feel the same.

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
That first deal from the Chicago Tribune seems like an awful lot. Marion, KT, 24, 29 and our ATL pick? I mean I want KG as bad as the next guy but that's a pretty steep price. I want the Suns to draft someone damnit!

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
It's pretty clear that Amare is most likely going to be shipped out in some sort of trade for KG and the #7. (The other pieces are most likely not known yet.)

Why?

- The Suns want to win NOW. Nash has 2-3 good years left before his role becomes limited IMO. Garnett has 4-5.

- Nash and KG are very good friends. You can bet he's trying to get KG here somehow.

- Chemistry last year was questionable. And to be honest, the Suns played much better as a TEAM the year before without Amare.

- For some reason, Diaw is a much better player without Amare clogging the lane. Garnett can do it all - score inside, and outside. This allows Diaw to go back to what makes him comfortable. Getting the ball in the post and basically scoring at will. Either way I think Diaw is going to come back with a vengeance next year. But if Amare is gone he'll definitely pick up his game even more.

- The Suns are still worried about Amare's knees. Let's face it, last year may have been a fluke. Who knows what will happen in another year or two once he puts a bit more wear and tear on them.

- KG is a much more complete player than Amare. Amare does a few things well, but KG can do it all. Pairing him with Nash and the Suns system, I wouldn't be surprised to see him average 29/15, as well as win the MVP.

- KG is going to be insanely motivated to win. It kinda fits with my last point, but he is most likely going to have his best year ever if he becomes a Sun.

- The Suns want Marion to retire as a Sun, IMO. Even though he has struggled a few times in the playoffs, he is immensely valuable to this system. There is no one else at his size who can defend / rebound / and run up and down the court. I also think Marion will benefit with pairing with Garnett. He won't be forced to guard the post nearly as much.

- The Suns want the #7. (This is just speculation on my part.) You're getting a much improved player in Garnett. And to top it off, you get the #7 pick in a ridiculously deep draft which is just icing on the cake.

So, potentially the Suns could look like this if the trade goes down:

Nash
Bell
Marion
Diaw
Garnett

Barbosa
Hill (Hopefully)
Jones
Noah?
Thomas

The Suns bench could potentially contend for a playoff spot in the East. That is a very deep team, and despite what many people think, I'm pretty sure D'antoni would love to actually be able to play his bench.

If the Suns want to win a championship, their best shot is by trading for Garnett and the #7. I was against the idea at first. But the more I think about it, the more I'd like them to pull the trigger. Yeah it could totally blow up in their faces, and Amare could go on for 10 more years averaging 30/15. But trades are all about risk / reward.

Last edited:

asuhoopnut

Veteran
Reaction score
It's pretty clear that Amare is most likely going to be shipped out in some sort of trade for KG and the #7. (The other pieces are most likely not known yet.)

Why?

- The Suns want to win NOW. Nash has 2-3 good years left before his role becomes limited IMO. Garnett has 4-5.

- Nash and KG are very good friends. You can bet he's trying to get KG here somehow.

- Chemistry last year was questionable. And to be honest, the Suns played much better as a TEAM the year before without Amare.

- For some reason, Diaw is a much better player without Amare clogging the lane. Garnett can do it all - score inside, and outside. This allows Diaw to go back to what makes him comfortable. Getting the ball in the post and basically scoring at will. Either way I think Diaw is going to come back with a vengeance next year. But if Amare is gone he'll definitely pick up his game even more.

- The Suns are still worried about Amare's knees. Let's face it, last year may have been a fluke. Who knows what will happen in another year or two once he puts a bit more wear and tear on them.

- KG is a much more complete player than Amare. Amare does a few things well, but KG can do it all. Pairing him with Nash and the Suns system, I wouldn't be surprised to see him average 29/15, as well as win the MVP.

- KG is going to be insanely motivated to win. It kinda fits with my last point, but he is most likely going to have his best year ever if he becomes a Sun.

- The Suns want Marion to retire as a Sun, IMO. Even though he has struggled a few times in the playoffs, he is immensely valuable to this system. There is no one else at his size who can defend / rebound / and run up and down the court. I also think Marion will benefit with pairing with Garnett. He won't be forced to guard the post nearly as much.

- The Suns want the #7. (This is just speculation on my part.) You're getting a much improved player in Garnett. And to top it off, you get the #7 pick in a ridiculously deep draft which is just icing on the cake.

So, potentially the Suns could look like this if the trade goes down:

Nash
Bell
Marion
Diaw
Garnett

Barbosa
Hill (Hopefully)
Jones
Noah?
Thomas

The Suns bench could potentially contend for a playoff spot in the East. That is a very deep team, and despite what many people think, I'm pretty sure D'antoni would love to actually be able to play his bench.

If the Suns want to win a championship, their best shot is by trading for Garnett and the #7. I was against the idea at first. But the more I think about it, the more I'd like them to pull the trigger. Yeah it could totally blow up in their faces, and Amare could go on for 10 more years averaging 30/15. But trades are all about risk / reward.

I think you hit the nail on the head. I think you are right on about this scenario and the deal is already done. There is too much chatter still out there about Amare and the Suns are not saying much. To me the only way this trade is palatable is if the #7 is included with Garnett. One slight addition to this scenario is that Thomas would probably have to be a part of the deal for the salaries to match up. I also think a veteran big (such as P.J. Brown) could be signed for depth.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
The above may be pretty valid, but the question still remains: With the way the BYC is set up on Amare's contract, is it even possible to do that trade?

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
The above may be pretty valid, but the question still remains: With the way the BYC is set up on Amare's contract, is it even possible to do that trade?

Technically he wouldnt be traded until July 1st, but all parties can agree and make it public and essentially draft for one another. It happens all the time.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
I think you hit the nail on the head. I think you are right on about this scenario and the deal is already done. There is too much chatter still out there about Amare and the Suns are not saying much. To me the only way this trade is palatable is if the #7 is included with Garnett. One slight addition to this scenario is that Thomas would probably have to be a part of the deal for the salaries to match up. I also think a veteran big (such as P.J. Brown) could be signed for depth.

True. I didn't mention Thomas in the trade. He'd most likely have to go as well. But the Suns could definitely find someone who is as least as serviceable. (Such as Brown, as mentioned.)

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Am I the only person who thinks that PJ Brown is going to get an MLE and won't settle for a minimum salary on a team where he won't play until the playoffs?

nowagimp

Reaction score
I think it's going to happen. Why would the Suns have brought in both Noah and Brewer for workouts if they don't plan on drafting them? Their agents never would have agreed to a private workout with the Suns this close to the draft unless there was a VERY good reason to believe the Suns will be in a position to pick there.

I'd be pretty happy with KG and Brewer/Noah for Amare. I'm still not sold that Amare's legs will hold up long term. Despite all the hype about how he's made it back, he's NOT as dominant or explosive as 2005. The chemistry issues are an added caveat. If this trade happens, I won't shed a tear.

1) if the suns get the #7 pick and amare is traded, maybe they will pick noah. Else, if its Marion+pieces in a trade, maybe Brewer if they still get the 7 pick or 5(celtics).

2) as far as amare, remember his injury was said to be on a non-load bearing surface, and he did have one of the best recoveries. Medicine advances all the time, and amare could very well represent a new generation of treatment/recoveries. As far as his explosiveness, this year will tell, he will be more explosive than last year. Even last year he was too fast for most opposing defenders, if he wasnt they wouldnt let him take the open J from 15-17 ft(he's an 80% foul shooter). Microfracture takes until the 2nd year back to determine the limitations. I have a feeling that he will come back even stronger. He will have the time to put some strength training in, something that is limited the first year back.

I'm betting amare will come back strong, he was 1st team all NBA his FIRST year back. Amare is a rare breed, fast, skilled, and strong like no other 6'10" player in recent memory. The scary part is if he learns to share the ball, gets his lower body strength back, there will be hell to pay.

I'm hoping for KG + Amare in suns unis.