Minnesota Fan Source Reports KG in talks with Suns

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If they give up Marion and Barbosa, how are the Suns supposed to be better? KG isn't going to play 70 minutes per game, and the Suns' budget will be completely busted.

1) Our starters will have such a big lead most the time that they could coast somewhat.

2) D'Antoni doesnt play his bench much as it is.

3) Guys will be CLAMORING to play on a team like this. Grant Hill would surly play for the vet minimum. Hill or Diaw would be coming off the bench. We still have James Jones. Does it much matter after that?

4) Sarver might spring for a couple other players and pay some additional tax considering the revenue Nash/Amare/Garnett would bring in. They always called Garnett "the big ticket"...well we'd have THREE big tickets. The Suns might break attendence records with that kind of lineup.

azirish

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I am cautious by nature. I use my turn signals, slow down when I see people getting ready to cross the street, stay away from trees during thunder storms, and...

I don't build my championship plans based on 35 year old former all stars deciding to play for minimum money.

I think Hill MIGHT come to Phoenix, but I am not inclined to bet the farm on it.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Hill was talking about the Suns even before any KG thought came to mind. So I'd bet the farm on it...easy money.

Even if for some odd reason Hill didnt want to come here...others would.

Plus as we learned its all about playoffs. D'Antoni is reluctant to go to the bench in the post season.

I dont want to see Barbosa OR Marion against the Spurs anymore....really this what we're adjusting to anyway.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hill was talking about the Suns even before any KG thought came to mind. So I'd bet the farm on it...easy money.

Right now, word is Hill is seeking the MLE. If the Suns land Garnett you can bet there will be no MLE type money for Hill.

Even if for some odd reason Hill didnt want to come here...others would.

Who others? It's a crap free agent market this summer, and Hill is the only guy who would qualify as someone who would play for less than market value and could actually contribute.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2654216

I dont want to see Barbosa OR Marion against the Spurs anymore....really this what we're adjusting to anyway.

Why not Barbosa? He was playing with an injured shoulder. We have no idea how well he could play when healthy. He was killing the Lakers single handedly until the injury.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
pokerface, you cant take barbosa's performance against the spurs into account because put him in with an injured elbow.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Right now, word is Hill is seeking the MLE. If the Suns land Garnett you can bet there will be no MLE type money for Hill.

Wouldnt the Suns be balancing salaries for KG? Plus might not Hill discard his MLE expectations (if thats true) to play for a "once in a career" type team? Also, if Nash/Amare/Garnett generate more money for Sarver couldnt he splurge on Hill a little bit?

Who others? It's a crap free agent market this summer, and Hill is the only guy who would qualify as someone who would play for less than market value and could actually contribute.

Bench players are far easier to aquire and trade for than starters. I certainly havn't gone down all those possibilities because frankly they are too numerous. Plus the Suns have draft picks...(assuming they all arnt traded for KG). Plus like already stated..the Suns dont go further than two or three players deep off the bench anyway.

Why not Barbosa? He was playing with an injured shoulder. We have no idea how well he could play when healthy. He was killing the Lakers single handedly until the injury.

If Barbosa's shoulder was so bad it didnt keep him on the bench. He still played. Its hard to prove how much of an affect it had versus Spurs defense anyway. Was it the shoulder or the defense? More likely the defense...

Last edited:

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
pokerface, you cant take barbosa's performance against the spurs into account because put him in with an injured elbow.

Was it the shoulder or elbow?? We need to straighten this out ppl!

I think it was the Spurs D

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wouldnt the Suns be balancing salaries for KG?

It's impossible to tell since a trade involving Garnett alone could swing $5.5 million either direction.

Plus might not Hill discard his MLE expectations (if thats true) to play for a "once in a career" type team? Also, if Nash/Amare/Garnett generate more money for Sarver couldnt he splurge on Hill a little bit?

I dunno, but you're the one betting the farm he would yet asking me these questions.

Plus like already stated..the Suns dont go further than two or three players deep off the bench anyway.

You mean because the Suns will be blowing everyone out so they can coast argument? Maybe it's just me, but I've watched a lot of playoff basketball the last 25 years or so, and even the dynasties needed to go fairly deep in a 7-game series. If you go into a season with a short bench, you stand a chance having even a shorter bench in the playoffs because of injury or matchup problems (or just plain exhaustion).

If Barbosa's shoulder was so bad it didnt keep him on the bench. He still played.

Because the Suns bench was short and Barbosa is cut from a different mold than the average NBA player. I have no idea how much better Barbosa might have played against the Spurs, but I do believe those wide-open threes he was rimming would probably have been closer in accuracy to his regular season percentage with a healthy elbow.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I am cautious by nature. I use my turn signals, slow down when I see people getting ready to cross the street, stay away from trees during thunder storms, and...

I don't build my championship plans based on 35 year old former all stars deciding to play for minimum money.

I think Hill MIGHT come to Phoenix, but I am not inclined to bet the farm on it.

you're saying you wouldn't trade marion/barbs for kg?

i'd do it in a heartbeat and then figure out the rest around it. i think that deal goes down there is a VERY good chance of g hill deciding to come ride the coattails. and yeah, he's 35 and a former all star, but if you watched him this year, he was an important (mind you i am not saying most important - so no putting words in my mouth) piece to a playoff team, averaging 15 pts/game with a fairly high fg avg. he knows the game still and plays heady on the court. is he the old g hill? no. but we don't need him to be.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you're saying you wouldn't trade marion/barbs for kg?

i'd do it in a heartbeat and then figure out the rest around it. i think that deal goes down there is a VERY good chance of g hill deciding to come ride the coattails. and yeah, he's 35 and a former all star, but if you watched him this year, he was an important (mind you i am not saying most important - so no putting words in my mouth) piece to a playoff team, averaging 15 pts/game with a fairly high fg avg. he knows the game still and plays heady on the court. is he the old g hill? no. but we don't need him to be.

Nash+KG+Amare+whoever (including bench) says title to me. I love Barbosa but I would give Marion and Barbs up for KG. I wouldn't like it one bit but I would do it.

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Nash+KG+Amare+whoever (including bench) says title to me. I love Barbosa but I would give Marion and Barbs up for KG. I wouldn't like it one bit but I would do it.

It says title to me too but even if it didnt I want to see it anyway!

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
What are we even arguing about anyway? Marion and Barbosa are too high a price to pay for Garnett? Grant Hill wouldn't want to play for the Suns? Cripe almighty...

Marion is one foot out the door with his contract almost being up....Barbosa is a bench player. How in heck can that be too high a price?

Grant Hill already made his money....seems like he's in it for a ring at this point.

Must we argue over the obvious?

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Just read this.

First of all, persistent statements by Timberwolves GM Kevin McHale and owner Glen Taylor that the team is merely fielding calls about Garnett and not making them isn't true, according to a person connected to the situation.
"He's very unhappy," the person said of Garnett. "He's being shopped, and he's being shopped heavily." -- Newsday
According to a teammate who spoke with Kevin Garnett last week, Minnesota's franchise talent was angered by the team's recent trade talks with Boston. The Celtics never had a shot at landing Garnett -- who wanted no part of a reunion with ex-teammate Wally Szczerbiak -- because they didn't have the pieces. "What got Kevin upset is that he thought he might be going to Phoenix, but then he heard about Boston and that really got him p----- off," the teammate said. -- New York Daily News

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Just read this.

First of all, persistent statements by Timberwolves GM Kevin McHale and owner Glen Taylor that the team is merely fielding calls about Garnett and not making them isn't true, according to a person connected to the situation.
"He's very unhappy," the person said of Garnett. "He's being shopped, and he's being shopped heavily." -- Newsday
According to a teammate who spoke with Kevin Garnett last week, Minnesota's franchise talent was angered by the team's recent trade talks with Boston. The Celtics never had a shot at landing Garnett -- who wanted no part of a reunion with ex-teammate Wally Szczerbiak -- because they didn't have the pieces. "What got Kevin upset is that he thought he might be going to Phoenix, but then he heard about Boston and that really got him p----- off," the teammate said. -- New York Daily News

me likey. now get mchale to bend over and take it like a franchise that has little leverage! marion, barbosa and the ATL pick or nothing!

joshstmarie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
it boggles my mind how some people are over valuing barbosa... this is kevin ALL WORLD garnett we're talking about here.. id trade the future for 3 or 4 championship rings which is where adding a guy like that puts us.

i like barbosa as much as the next guy but if thats a piece thats standing in the way of getting KG...sheit.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
it boggles my mind how some people are over valuing barbosa... this is kevin ALL WORLD garnett we're talking about here.. id trade the future for 3 or 4 championship rings which is where adding a guy like that puts us.

i like barbosa as much as the next guy but if thats a piece thats standing in the way of getting KG...sheit.

Kevin "All World" ?!?!?!? Huh?? "All Wolrd" KG that has titles? "All World" KG that has led his team to the playoffs every single year? KG is a great player but he can't do it alone. IMO he can't get it done on this team without Amare.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score

DAMN RIGHT!

KG & Amare together people! Nash could be hurt & we would be the favorite to win it all IMO.

Marion, Barbs, JJ & every pick we have.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Kevin "All World" ?!?!?!? Huh?? "All Wolrd" KG that has titles? "All World" KG that has led his team to the playoffs every single year? KG is a great player but he can't do it alone. IMO he can't get it done on this team without Amare.
Come on. KG NOBODY can do it on their own. You need a team around you. He has killed imself forever to a point of tears.

I agree this team is wasting their time if they trade for KG and lose Amare. Amare & KG together is the point.

I dont see this happening unles KG says PHX or bust. But I will hold my breath anyway!

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Come on. KG NOBODY can do it on their own. You need a team around you. He has killed imself forever to a point of tears.

I agree this team is wasting their time if they trade for KG and lose Amare. Amare & KG together is the point.

I dont see this happening unles KG says PHX or bust. But I will hold my breath anyway!

That's what I meant when I said "KG is a great player but he can't do it alone". :D

OP
OP
slinslin

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
just talked to my source...no really big new info...they reiterated that the suns will send amare to mn b4 the draft unless they can get a third team involved with marion..but bottom line kg is def goin to the suns its just amatter of what the wolves will get back....only thing new they said is that glen taylor is goin on his honey moon on tues to china and though they thought the timing was wierd, being right before the draft, him leaving wont throw a wrench in the deal.......reporting live from behind closed doors via ip, twondog22, your bx senior sports insider correspondent.........