NBA Finals Boston vs Dallas (poll)

Who will be Champions?

• Total voters

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boston was not at their best. this was a winnable game for Dallas if more players hit shots. Someone aside from doncic needs to step up on offense. With Irving and doncic both on the floor one of them need to be bringing the ball up at all times. Too many silly turnovers.

True but the biggest turnover of the game was them down 8 with the ball it gets deflected in the backcourt and then Luka turns it over. Jrue nails a 3, next possession White hits a 3 and it's 14, game over

Lorenzo

Reaction score
True but the biggest turnover of the game was them down 8 with the ball it gets deflected in the backcourt and then Luka turns it over. Jrue nails a 3, next possession White hits a 3 and it's 14, game over
Holliday forced Washington to throw the ball wildly back to doncic after Washington dribbled out most of the backcourt clock. That’s why I don’t understand why Washington is bringing the ball up the court. Just too many poor plays like that in the game. Good defense by Holliday though. He plays hard everywhere on the court.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Note I made the post when he was 1-7 with 2 points 4 rebounds and 3 assists late in the 2nd quarter.
He was off to a poor start for sure. He got better as the game went on. He has some timely plays at the end as well.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Porzingis presence has been felt even though it doesn’t always show up on the stat line.
He did make a couple blocks yesterday. But as the game went on he looked less of a factor even before he got hurt. If he plays and plays well it is a bonus for Boston. They don’t have to have him.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Holliday forced Washington to throw the ball wildly back to doncic after Washington dribbled out most of the backcourt clock. That’s why I don’t understand why Washington is bringing the ball up the court. Just too many poor plays like that in the game. Good defense by Holliday though. He plays hard everywhere on the court.

Washington had played out of his mind for the last 2 months and was starting to look like a legit 3rd option. He's been exposed though as Boston has sort of dared him to step up and do more than just hit open shots. I thought Minnesota would do that but they didn't.

I wouldn't be shocked if Dallas takes game 3 but they'll need to win in a blow out to really swing momentum enough to make it a series. A close win will give them some confidence but won't dissuade Boston's confidence.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He did make a couple blocks yesterday. But as the game went on he looked less of a factor even before he got hurt. If he plays and plays well it is a bonus for Boston. They don’t have to have him.
Something that doesn't show up on the stat sheet but he caused the Mavs to drive in the lane and back out multiple times throughout the game.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Washington had played out of his mind for the last 2 months and was starting to look like a legit 3rd option. He's been exposed though as Boston has sort of dared him to step up and do more than just hit open shots. I thought Minnesota would do that but they didn't.

I wouldn't be shocked if Dallas takes game 3 but they'll need to win in a blow out to really swing momentum enough to make it a series. A close win will give them some confidence but won't dissuade Boston's confidence.
I agree about Washington. He is their 3rd best player, but he is not consistent. I don’t hate the way he played yesterday. I think most of Dallas offensive woes in Boston were that the role players were a non factor with their 3 point shooting. And Irving did not score nearly enough.

As for game 3 I’ve always believed that a game 3 when you are up or down (2-0/0-2) it is the most important non elimination game scenario. I don’t think it matters how Boston or Dallas win that one. Just win and it determines whether or not this becomes a series.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After two games Boston looks so superior across the board that it looks like it was foolish to talk about the Mavs having a chance to win this.

But, if the Mavs can hold home court then it's a series.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Something that doesn't show up on the stat sheet but he caused the Mavs to drive in the lane and back out multiple times throughout the game.
Doncic was able to pull him away from the rim and I think it had an impact on KP’s fitness. I think that it might not matter how KP plays moving forward. If he plays great Dallas are in big trouble though.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
After two games Boston looks so superior across the board that it looks like it was foolish to talk about the Mavs having a chance to win this.

I kind of feel like it played out the way I expected for Boston. last night they missed a lot of easy 3’s but yet in the end they made a fair amount of dagger 3’s that killed Dallas off. Boston made all the winning plays. I’m a little disappointed with how poorly the mavs have played on offense. I thought they could make more shots. Some of it is Boston’s defense. But they are missing good looks as well.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Boston has the experience of losing a finals so they definitely aren’t going to let off! They know these opportunities don’t come around often and they have the 2-0 lead and a damn solid experienced Holiday which I think has really turned that team around. Wtf were the Bucks thinking trading him to acquire Lillard, what a bonehead move! Holiday is exactly the type of PG the Suns need just smart makes the right plays, and is great defensively, and can have big nights on offense if needed to shoot occasionally.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boston has the experience of losing a finals so they definitely aren’t going to let off! They know these opportunities don’t come around often and they have the 2-0 lead and a damn solid experienced Holiday which I think has really turned that team around. Wtf were the Bucks thinking trading him to acquire Lillard, what a bonehead move! Holiday is exactly the type of PG the Suns need just smart makes the right plays, and is great defensively, and can have big nights on offense if needed to shoot occasionally.
Every team can use a Holiday. He’s likely going to be a HOFer. Getting one of those guys is easier said than done.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
He is one of those guys I love to hate and would still take him on my team.
He plays hard all over the floor. Reminds me of the way Kidd and Marion played when Dallas won their title. That is the way all of Dallas’ players have to play to win. And I’m not seeing it in the first 2 games.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He plays hard all over the floor. Reminds me of the way Kidd and Marion played when Dallas won their title. That is the way all of Dallas’ players have to play to win. And I’m not seeing it in the first 2 games.
Bright lights of their first Finals looked like they were a little too bright for the Dallas role players, especially on the road.

Let’s see if a little home cooking can get them on a roll again.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Luka is just such
Bright lights of their first Finals looked like they were a little too bright for the Dallas role players, especially on the road.

Let’s see if a little home cooking can get them on a roll again.
Luka is such an unlikeable smug punk would rather see them get swept out in embarrassing fashion!

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Luka almost had a quadruple double
31 points
11 Rebounds
11 Assists
8 Turnovers

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I have to agree. I am kind of shocked how lopsided it has looked. I guess I just way underestimated Boston.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
and 4 missed free throws. The man had a bad game by his standards yet still put up 31-11-11
Not a bad game by his standards come on. He just tried to force things too much resulting in turnovers but he had a great game it’s the rest of the team failing to step up that’s killing them. Jrue keeping Kyrie in check the first few games is killing them, and no one hitting threes like they did all postseason until facing a team who plays defense! There is a video making the rounds of Luka on a crazy finish yet he complains to the ref after, even though he traveled then traveled on an up and down before finally making the basket. So he travels twice and still complains he didn’t get a call, it’s ridiculous he gets a call all the time but rarely ever gets T when he complains and gestures every single time, it’s just nauseating to watch! Hope they get embarrassingly swept for all their BS they get away with, and the NBA helping him constantly.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Not a bad game by his standards come on. He just tried to force things too much resulting in turnovers but he had a great game it’s the rest of the team failing to step up that’s killing them. Jrue keeping Kyrie in check the first few games is killing them, and no one hitting threes like they did all postseason until facing a team who plays defense! There is a video making the rounds of Luka on a crazy finish yet he complains to the ref after, even though he traveled then traveled on an up and down before finally making the basket. So he travels twice and still complains he didn’t get a call, it’s ridiculous he gets a call all the time but rarely ever gets T when he complains and gestures every single time, it’s just nauseating to watch! Hope they get embarrassingly swept for all their BS they get away with, and the NBA helping him constantly.
he was 4/8 from the free throw line. they lost by 7 points, it could have been a clutch finish at the end if he hit his free throws. He's a great player and arguably the best offensive player in the league, but if he's going to take that next step he has to make his free throws. and don't take that is me blaming him for the loss, I don't blame him at all. he stepped up his game on the road in a big time way. he went from 1 assist in game 1 to 11. and some of those passes were as good as J-Kidd passes. as far as traveling and whining to the refs, it doesn't bother me unless he doesn't run back on defense. I don't think the NBA helps him as much as you claim. there are plenty of occasions where he gets fouled and it doesn't get called. If I'm a ref I'm telling him to make his free throws when he yells at me for a call.

Last edited:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Defensively Luka was a sieve yesterday. In their previous few series Dallas was able to hide Luka off the ball, and let him match up against guys that don't shoot well. On Boston, everyone can shoot and several different guys can bring the ball up and initiate. The Celtics are easily able to force Luka to defend on the ball and inturn, they are blowing right by him into the lane, forcing Dallas to bring help from all over. After getting beat, Luka is slow to rotate or doesn't rotate at all.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Play after play, some times getting burned 3 times in one posession. I don't know if he is seriously banged up or if he got exhausted but that was a defensive disaster for the ages. Boston didn't even shoot well, missing open 3s all night. Boston was 25% from 3 and shot less free throws than Dallas, that should be a recipe for an easy Dallas win but the Celtics were getting to the rim so much it didn't matter.

Kidd needs to alter their defensive scheme somehow, hide Luka in one of the corners in a zone or something, maybe commit to NOT switching when it would result in Luka defending on the ball.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Defensively Luka was a sieve yesterday. In their previous few series Dallas was able to hide Luka off the ball, and let him match up against guys that don't shoot well. On Boston, everyone can shoot and several different guys can bring the ball up and initiate. The Celtics are easily able to force Luka to defend on the ball and inturn, they are blowing right by him into the lane, forcing Dallas to bring help from all over. After getting beat, Luka is slow to rotate or doesn't rotate at all.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Play after play, some times getting burned 3 times in one posession. I don't know if he is seriously banged up or if he got exhausted but that was a defensive disaster for the ages. Boston didn't even shoot well, missing open 3s all night. Boston was 25% from 3 and shot less free throws than Dallas, that should be a recipe for an easy Dallas win but the Celtics were getting to the rim so much it didn't matter.

Kidd needs to alter their defensive scheme somehow, hide Luka in one of the corners in a zone or something, maybe commit to NOT switching when it would result in Luka defending on the ball.
Luka is really bad defensively. He can't stay in front of anybody unless they are slow. I noticed that the Mavs like to keep a guy ready to rotate to Luka's guy pretty often. Reminds me of when the Suns used to try and hide Nash defensively.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ryderckarm