New injury updates on Len, Gortat and Lee

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I read a Paul Coro article at azcentral today that gives some encouragement about all three of the above mentioned players (Len, Gortat and Lee) that have injury concerns. It was interesting that there is an inkling Lee may play again. See link below.

Here is part of the article:

Len, 20, has been out of the boot for a week and is on schedule to be ready to participate when Suns training camp opens in Flagstaff in late September. He lost weight after his surgery but has gained back 10 pounds during his rehabilitation work in the past month.

“I’ve got two more weeks of rehab and then I’ll be back about 85-90 percent,” Len said. “I’ll be back for training camp and be ready for the season. The ankle’s feeling great. I have no pain.”

Suns center Marcin Gortat was here and gone … and that is a good thing.

Gortat left training with his Polish national team in order to have his sore right foot checked by Suns doctors in Phoenix. He was cleared to resume activity Monday and has returned to his Orlando home for a week before rejoining his national team’s preparation for next month’s European Championship in Slovenia.

Malcolm Lee has not been seen much in the NBA, let alone in a Suns uniform, but he is progressing from a long history of health issues with the goal of being at Suns training camp.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/sun...nd-after-surgeries-months.html?nclick_check=1

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Good to hear about Len. I really hope he adds some weight though. He doesn't look very strong at all, I feel like Tucker, Markieff and Bledsoe can out bench him in the weight room.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, how does one gain back weight during rehab week? Muscle from lifting? Just curious.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
So, how does one gain back weight during rehab week? Muscle from lifting? Just curious.
He's rehabbing his ankles...its not that hard to work out your upper body when coming from ankle surgery or whatever procedure he went through.

Its not like he's on crutches now.

But anyway, I didn't say that he should have been working out hard this summer. Just said he needs to get stronger before season starts.

Last edited:

Errntknght

Reaction score
This update on Len seems to be from before the Summer League games since it referred to Len missing them in the future tense...

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This update on Len seems to be from before the Summer League games since it referred to Len missing them in the future tense...

? The article was written for Friday's newspaper. The update is current.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I must have dreamt it. I swear I clicked on the link and the article said that Len was going to miss the Summer League. It didn't make sense to me so I read that paragraph two or three times. It doesn't say that now... doesn't mention Summer League at all.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
As long as he don't go all Oliver Miller. He had great hands though.

Or Le Big Croissant.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While Len's ankles seem to be continuing topic of discussion, I found a newspaper article from 2002 that indicates Majerle, when drafted, was considered damaged goods. He had knee surgery and screws in his ankles before the Suns drafted him.

Maybe fans should give Len the benefit of the doubt as Majerle turned out well.

See link below.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...dpPAAAAIBAJ&sjid=D1MDAAAAIBAJ&pg=6754,1397196

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just asking, geez.

Sorry, it never crossed my mind you were asking a serious question. I just figured it was rhetorical because, well, you frequently make your point in just that fashion. OTOH, you did say "just curious". Anyway, sunsfan88 is correct, it's not that hard to do upper body work when you're rehabbing a leg injury.

Steve

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While Len's ankles seem to be continuing topic of discussion, I found a newspaper article from 2002 that indicates Majerle, when drafted, was considered damaged goods. He had knee surgery and screws in his ankles before the Suns drafted him.

Maybe fans should give Len the benefit of the doubt as Majerle turned out well.

See link below.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?n...dpPAAAAIBAJ&sjid=D1MDAAAAIBAJ&pg=6754,1397196

Majerle isn't a 7 footer and 7 footers with ankle problems have historically had problems throughout their careers throughout NBA history.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Majerle isn't a 7 footer and 7 footers with ankle problems have historically had problems throughout their careers throughout NBA history.

So what are you saying. Len's career is doomed before he takes the court?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So what are you saying. Len's career is doomed before he takes the court?

GOOD GOD. Did I say he was DOOMED BEFORE HE TAKES THE COURT?!

No, I'm just saying that people who have concerns about his injuries have history that makes us concerned. And I'm also saying that comparing a SG with feet problems to a 7 footer with foot problems doesn't have much of a correlation IMO.

Good freaking lord people. Stop putting incredibly stupid arguments into people mouths.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty much, though he's not the only one saying that.
I understand the concerns, but I'm at least willing to give Len a shot before I declare him a bust.

who's calling him a bust? a bust would imply the guy can't play because he's got no skill. I'm not overly enamored of his skills, but I don't know how he'll translate there.

I am worried about his ankles...but hey...this is likely the same type of people who told me I was CRAZY when I said that Ryan Williams will likely never return from the injury he suffered two years ago. Some injuries for certain types of players are just baaaaaaaaaaaad news because of the position they play. foot injuries early in the career of 7 footers happens to be one of those injuries, thus I'm worried.

doesn't mean I think Len's "doomed before he hits the court", just that I have reason to worry he won't be able to stay healthy.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Len may surprise and turn out to have a durable career, but the early indicators are very much against him. At this point I'm assuming that he won't rise above Jake Tsakalidis in terms of long-term impact, and I'll consider anything else a bonus.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GOOD GOD. Did I say he was DOOMED BEFORE HE TAKES THE COURT?!

No, I'm just saying that people who have concerns about his injuries have history that makes us concerned. And I'm also saying that comparing a SG with feet problems to a 7 footer with foot problems doesn't have much of a correlation IMO.

Good freaking lord people. Stop putting incredibly stupid arguments into people mouths.

I asked what you were saying. I guess not much that we already didn't know.

Errntknght

Reaction score
I don't dismiss Len's injuries but the Suns trainers have been resoundingly successful so I'm much more sanguine than Cheese and Eric. I think the odds favor him staying reasonably healthy.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope Len doesn't start camping out at the 3 point line and not doing much else after a few years in the league like Majerle did.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So what you are saying is that Len is actually a reincarnated evil wizard sent from space to destroy humanity, right?

There is very little proof to support your claim. Okay, there's enough evidence to warrant suspicion but that's it. I think we should weigh him.

Steve

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake