NFC Divisional Playoffs: Packers-20 Cards-26 The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm spent. It's late, I have to get up for work at 4:30am EST, I have bronchitis, and a nasty cold not to mention a blood pressure reading of 235/176 right now. This team better get to church tomorrow because there was a ton of divine intervention in this win because quite frankly for most of the game they didn't play like they wanted to win. In fact, at the end it looked like they were doing their damndest to try to lose.

The Good

A Win-A win is a win and when it's in the playoffs it's even better although it seemed like this team sleepwalked through near 3/4 of it.

Fitz-I told my wife that when the time comes and he's inducted into the Hall of Fame, I will be there one way or the other. Only someone like him could pull off something like this. When this team was seemingly on life support, barely registering a heartbeat, he pulled out his AED(automated external defibrillator) and shocked this team back to life. Big reason why I changed into my Fitz jersey at halftime(I was wearing my Plummer jersey). I vow to only wear this one for the rest of the season.

Luck-And I don't mean Andrew. I can point to several points where we simply got lucky: The Floyd TD that gave us the lead, a big pass play over the outstretched arms of Jake Ryan, Shields dropping a sure pick near the goal line. There are more but those are the big ones and I believe they were on the same drive.

Palmer's First Playoff Win-He can finally put that ghost to rest but it wasn't easy. He was way off his game for most of the game. The team had 76 total yards in the first half and most of those came in one scoring drive.

Overcoming 0-3 When Trailing After 3 Quarters-Saw that graphic and found it interesting. Got that monkey off our backs.

2nd Half Offensive Line-With a few plays aside, they got it together when it counted.

The Bad

1st Half Offensive Line-They seemed like they were asleep as they couldn't keep Palmer clean.

Running Game-Non-existent. Only 40 yards rushing the entire game.

1st Half And First 3rd Of 3rd Quarter- Was it butterflies? I don't know but this wasn't our team during this time.

Defense-They made some big plays which is the reason why this isn't in the ugly category but they were God awful most of tonight. I know it was Aaron Rogers but for God's sake you don't give up big plays like that. How many 3rd and longs? How about 4th and 20 on their own 2 yard line and they convert for 62 yards? And that Hail Mary was ridiculous. They better figure things out because if not both Newton and Wilson will carve them up like a Thanksgiving Day turkey. Damned lucky Fitz pulled the defense's nuts out of the fire but let's not kid ourselves, you can't play like that against anyone and expect to win a championship.

Play Calling-Packers have no timeouts and BA calls a pass play. I get it. It was to Fitz but you don't leave time on the clock for Rogers and look what happened. Instead of giving him maybe a minute tops you give him nearly 2 minutes. You run a running play to run it down to the 2 minute warning. Then run another to take it down to about 1:20 then call timeout and kick the FG. As it stood, all Rogers needed was 4 seconds to tie the game.

The Ugly

Final Drive Defense-I don't think I need to comment any further except to reiterate you simply do not let that happen.

The Officiating-This is becoming a real problem. All game long GB's offensive line was holding to the point where they were getting so brave as to literally start tackling our pass rushers or outright grabbing their jerseys. There were missed calls on both sides but we were getting robbed all game long and to top it all off, they couldn't even flip the damned coin right.

Well, that's it. I'm sick as a dog and just called off sick from work(hate using sick days this early) and really need my rest. G'night all.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agree for the most part except about Wilson or Cam carving is up, I'm sorry but Rodgers is still a much superior QB than either of those guys! And yes GB oline held all damn night and not one single flag was a complete joke Rodgers had so much time mostly because of the ridiculous holding without any flags not sure I have ever seen a whole game like that with not one hold penalty on their oline, it was ridiculous!

OP
OP
NJCardFan

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agree for the most part except about Wilson or Cam carving is up, I'm sorry but Rodgers is still a much superior QB than either of those guys! And yes GB oline held all damn night and not one single flag was a complete joke Rodgers had so much time mostly because of the ridiculous holding without any flags not sure I have ever seen a whole game like that with not one hold penalty on their oline, it was ridiculous!

I know holding is let go but when you have Freeney's jersey nearly stripped off of him and no call is just crazy.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
The Officiating-This is becoming a real problem. All game long GB's offensive line was holding to the point where they were getting so brave as to literally start tackling our pass rushers or outright grabbing their jerseys. There were missed calls on both sides but we were getting robbed all game long and to top it all off, they couldn't even flip the damned coin right.

How many holding calls were called tonight? I know not nearly enough, but maybe it was equal on both sides how they were (not) calling holding. Our OL did look better in the 2nd half. Maybe they were seeing/realizing that nothing was being called there.

OP
OP
NJCardFan

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How many holding calls were called tonight? I know not nearly enough, but maybe it was equal on both sides how they were (not) calling holding. Our OL did look better in the 2nd half. Maybe they were seeing/realizing that nothing was being called there.

None. Not 1 holding call

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I know holding is let go but when you have Freeney's jersey nearly stripped off of him and no call is just crazy.

and Deone! Half his jersey was ripped!!!! It was so bad. Like during some of the time outs we could see BA on the sideline miming holding to the refs and then miming for them to get their heads out of their,,,, jk. But seriously he was giving them an earful.

Someone told me that Collinsworth was crying on the TV broadcast about the refs screwing the packers, whatever. I'm sure we got away with stuff, but they also got away with some insane crap. It was just a really poorly officiated game. Shocker.

GO CARDS!!!!

Dude

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Palmer's First Playoff Win-He can finally put that ghost to rest but it wasn't easy. He was way off his game for most of the game. The team had 76 total yards in the first half and most of those came in one scoring drive.

He has his playoff win. IMO not a good game for him. Hope to see him back to form next week.

PS Larry is a GOD...................

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
He has his playoff win. IMO not a good game for him. Hope to see him back to form next week.

PS Larry is a GOD...................

It has really been a privilege to have witnessed a great WR like Larry Fitzimmons play for the Cards all these years. Who knew when he was playing for Penn St that he would ever be this good. It is just too bad that his Dad died so young that he never got to see him play. Just think how proud his fellow Jamaicans are of him.

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
It has really been a privilege to have witnessed a great WR like Larry Fitzimmons play for the Cards all these years. Who knew when he was playing for Penn St that he would ever be this good. It is just too bad that his Dad died so young that he never got to see him play. Just think how proud his fellow Jamaicans are of him.

Thanks, Mr. Billick.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score

Who? Penn St? Larry Sr dead?:doi:

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Play Calling-Packers have no timeouts and BA calls a pass play. I get it. It was to Fitz but you don't leave time on the clock for Rogers and look what happened. Instead of giving him maybe a minute tops you give him nearly 2 minutes. You run a running play to run it down to the 2 minute warning. Then run another to take it down to about 1:20 then call timeout and kick the FG. As it stood, all Rogers needed was 4 seconds to tie the game.

I'm with you 100% on this, but I guess we just have to get used to it, I love that BA has huge brass ones.... I wish he could find a happy-medium somewhere, but it is what it is, when it works....it's genius, when it fails you want to choke him.

If I have to pick between this.... and the chicken-sheet, "play not to lose" crap we've endured for decades, I guess I'll have to find a way to not let it drive me crazy when it fails.

Tonight was not that night, all of my dogs are frightened.... and convinced that I'm possessed.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I'm with you 100% on this, but I guess we just have to get used to it, I love that BA has huge brass ones.... I wish he could find a happy-medium somewhere, but it is what it is, when it works....it's genius, when it fails you want to choke him.

If I have to pick between this.... and the chicken-sheet, "play not to lose" crap we've endured for decades, I guess I'll have to find a way to not let it drive me crazy when it fails.

Tonight was not that night, all of my dogs are frightened.... and convinced that I'm possessed.
Do we know that BA made the decision to throw there? There have been other times this year where the team was in position to run the ball and Palmer audibled into a pass.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Defense-They made some big plays which is the reason why this isn't in the ugly category but they were God awful most of tonight. I know it was Aaron Rogers but for God's sake you don't give up big plays like that. How many 3rd and longs? How about 4th and 20 on their own 2 yard line and they convert for 62 yards? And that Hail Mary was ridiculous. They better figure things out because if not both Newton and Wilson will carve them up like a Thanksgiving Day turkey. Damned lucky Fitz pulled the defense's nuts out of the fire but let's not kid ourselves, you can't play like that against anyone and expect to win a championship.

Disagree with that line. This defense was rock solid a large portion of the night (especially in the redzone). It was essentially 2-3 plays the whole game that killed them (Lacy run, 4th and 20 and the hail marry). The two 17 play drives were a combination of a great game-plan by GB and no help from the offense in between (still only gave up a total of 2 FGs on those 2 drives).

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Do we know that BA made the decision to throw there? There have been other times this year where the team was in position to run the ball and Palmer audibled into a pass.

I haven't seen it confirmed, but it fits his "No risk it, no biscuit" mantra.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I haven't seen it confirmed, but it fits his "No risk it, no biscuit" mantra.
Yes, but that is a mantra that has really carried over to Palmer as well. Like I said it wouldn't have been the first time this year that Palmer would have changed to a pass when everyone in the world thought we should run.

OP
OP
NJCardFan

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Disagree with that line. This defense was rock solid a large portion of the night (especially in the redzone). It was essentially 2-3 plays the whole game that killed them (Lacy run, 4th and 20 and the hail marry). The two 17 play drives were a combination of a great game-plan by GB and no help from the offense in between (still only gave up a total of 2 FGs on those 2 drives).

Red zone was tight yes but they should have never made it to the red zone. You have a team buried on their own 5 yard line you don't allow them to go on 18 play drives. Right now everything looks like roses because we won. However, had we lost we would be pointing at key plays the defense blew. How many times did they did themselves out of 3rd and 10+'s? And how do you allow a 250lb running back, who looked like a defensive end running the ball, to go for 62 yards? And those 2 plays down the stretch, there is no excuse. Yes Rogers is talented, however, all he can do is heave it. I can heave a pass 50 yards in the air. There's no excuse to allow a receiver to go and get it when there are 2 DB's around him and both of those catches were allowed because the DB's were too focused on making an interception instead of simply knocking the ball down. The first one on 4th and 20 in their own 2 yard line was all on Bethel who looked like he was mesmerized. I mean, it isn't like Rogers threaded a needle or threw a zip on a sideline pattern, he chucked it and prayed. People are acting like it were passes similar to Montana to Clark on "The Catch" or Steve Young to T.O. or Tebow to Thomas, it was a chuck and pray pass and it doesn't take great talent to chuck and pray. Hopefully we do better next game.

AZCrazy

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Props to the underappreciated Floyd in this game too. Two touchdowns at key moments, driving forward with force for big 1st downs. He played like a man on fire tonight as well.

OT: tore a vocal chord on Fitz' long run last night. Worth it.

OP
OP
NJCardFan

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Props to the underappreciated Floyd in this game too. Two touchdowns at key moments, driving forward with force for big 1st downs. He played like a man on fire tonight as well.

OT: tore a vocal chord on Fitz' long run last night. Worth it.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't it Floyd who made that crazy catch against Seattle too? And thanks for mentioning him because I meant to as a good. He had a great game.

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Red zone was tight yes but they should have never made it to the red zone. You have a team buried on their own 5 yard line you don't allow them to go on 18 play drives. Right now everything looks like roses because we won. However, had we lost we would be pointing at key plays the defense blew. How many times did they did themselves out of 3rd and 10+'s? And how do you allow a 250lb running back, who looked like a defensive end running the ball, to go for 62 yards? And those 2 plays down the stretch, there is no excuse. Yes Rogers is talented, however, all he can do is heave it. I can heave a pass 50 yards in the air. There's no excuse to allow a receiver to go and get it when there are 2 DB's around him and both of those catches were allowed because the DB's were too focused on making an interception instead of simply knocking the ball down. The first one on 4th and 20 in their own 2 yard line was all on Bethel who looked like he was mesmerized. I mean, it isn't like Rogers threaded a needle or threw a zip on a sideline pattern, he chucked it and prayed. People are acting like it were passes similar to Montana to Clark on "The Catch" or Steve Young to T.O. or Tebow to Thomas, it was a chuck and pray pass and it doesn't take great talent to chuck and pray. Hopefully we do better next game.

We gave up 20 points. I agree that those plays shouldn't have happened as they did, but the other team gets paid too. It's not like it was the 51-45 shootout like last time. I thought our defense played great besides our pass rush which was nonexistent. Besides that the secondary played great. AR stood in the pocket for about a hour it seemed like sometimes with no one around him. 20 points allowed in today's NFL should be a win and it was.

OP
OP
NJCardFan

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We gave up 20 points. I agree that those plays shouldn't have happened as they did, but the other team gets paid too. It's not like it was the 51-45 shootout like last time. I thought our defense played great besides our pass rush which was nonexistent. Besides that the secondary played great. AR stood in the pocket for about a hour it seemed like sometimes with no one around him. 20 points allowed in today's NFL should be a win and it was.

To be fair, Rogers only had an hour because the officials refused to call holding all night. The Packers became so brazen that they felt they could get away with anything and they did. I mean, how many times did they have a handful of jersey, from the back, and it wasn't called? Hell, I can make plays with that kind of time.

AZfaninMN

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
To be fair, Rogers only had an hour because the officials refused to call holding all night. The Packers became so brazen that they felt they could get away with anything and they did. I mean, how many times did they have a handful of jersey, from the back, and it wasn't called? Hell, I can make plays with that kind of time.

I was there and normally I don't complain about the refs, but there were a couple head scratching no calls, but they didn't call any n us either.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
After the last hail mary I was cussing Patrick Peterson saying All-Pro Cornerback `s don`t give up game tying plays like that.

OP
OP
NJCardFan

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was there and normally I don't complain about the refs, but there were a couple head scratching no calls, but they didn't call any n us either.

I didn't see it to the level that they let their line get away with. I mean, on the 4th and 20 hail Mary there was clear hands to the face. There's another thread on the subject. No call. However, we do it and flags fly from the upper deck.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Larry willed this team to win. Without him we lose the game.

How many 3rd downs did the D let GB covert? Too many.

There is no way in the world the D should let AR convert on 4th and 20 from his own endzone. And then the hail mary pass where our defenders were behind the WR so they couldn't knock the ball down.

No pressure on AR all night. He was back there making sandwiches all game.

The way we played defense last night Cam or Wilson will destroy this defense with out any pressure.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake