Nuggets @ Suns 12-29-18

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My question for BC and the others is why they even thought that a coach would be Popovich immediately?

my question is: Can you show me ONE post that indicates any of Igor's critics think that a coach should be Pop immediately?

If not, then keep that laughable level of hyperbolic stupidity to your own arguments instead of foisting them upon others.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Jokic overplaying Ayton on the first possession.
Plumlee glued to Ayton and then Jokic takes over BEFORE Plumlee challenges Warren's shot on the second possession.
Jokic cuts off Ayton rolling to the hoop and then gets some additional help on the third possession.
Jokic, once again is glued to Ayton on the fourth possession.
Help defense (whoever #41 is) elects to sag off of Bridges in order to make sure Ayton doesn't get the ball on the fifth possession.

That's why the Suns need more quality offensive options, and the flexibility to adapt. If the opponent makes concessions in order to slow down Ayton, fine: figure out what other weaknesses get exposed as a result, and attack those.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
That's why the Suns need more quality offensive options, and the flexibility to adapt. If the opponent makes concessions in order to slow down Ayton, fine: figure out what other weaknesses get exposed as a result, and attack those.

So, I completely agree, but I would point out that in this particular game, they did just that. Booker dropped 20 points, Warren scored some as well, as did Bridges. Nuggets shut down Ayton, but they lost the third and the fourth quarter. The point of my post is to show that it's not as simple as "Well Igor is not getting the ball to Ayton."

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
my question is: Can you show me ONE post that indicates any of Igor's critics think that a coach should be Pop immediately?

If not, then keep that laughable level of hyperbolic stupidity to your own arguments instead of foisting them upon others.
Please. Get off your cheesebeef high horse and address the issue. You never change.

You know for a FACT what I mean, but instead wish to pick a fight. Over NOTHING, especially nothing that has to do with you.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would agree with this. We need another guard. Melton just does not have enough offensive punch. I was doubtful of Melton but was willing to take a look and see. Well, I think I've seen. Austin Rivers, the player, should have been a help. I guess Austin Rivers, the person, was just not worth it though.

We need a pg who can distribute and play D, which will make Booker more efficient, or we need another two guard who can play D, shoot, and distribute a little. We just need more offense in our guard rotation.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You know for a FACT what I mean, but instead wish to pick a fight.

the fact is it's exactly those type of exaggerations and straw-man arguments that picks fights.
the only possible result of "why they even thought that a coach would be Popovich immediately"
is annoying posters who put time and thought into their observations

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
My question for BC and the others is why they even thought that a coach would be Popovich immediately?

I’m not thrilled with some of the things Igor has not done, but come on. There is NO coach that could take this roster and make them do better. None.

Name one available coach you’d rather have and please provide valid reasoning that makes sense from a basketball and business perspective.

I’ve been disappointed in some of what Igor has done (or not done as the case may be), but he’s been a better choice than many others would have been.

Mike Budenholzer, and he was ours if Sarver would have been willing to back off.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I was pissed that Ayton didn't get the ball much in the third, and decided to watch it again. It was difficult to explain without the video and I had no interest in trying to splice something together. Fortunately, someone else did it.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Jokic overplaying Ayton on the first possession.
Plumlee glued to Ayton and then Jokic takes over BEFORE Plumlee challenges Warren's shot on the second possession.
Jokic cuts off Ayton rolling to the hoop and then gets some additional help on the third possession.
Jokic, once again is glued to Ayton on the fourth possession.
Help defense (whoever #41 is) elects to sag off of Bridges in order to make sure Ayton doesn't get the ball on the fifth possession.

Nuggets shut him down. We've seen this with Booker in the first couple of seasons. Defenders would give him a different look and it would take him a while to figure out how to get the ball, score, etc.

Not Booker's job to "figure out". It's the head coach's. It's called making adjustments. If anything, this demonstrates what I have been saying all along. Opposing coaches make necessary adjustments, and Igor is too slow to counter-adjust. It shouldn't be up to the players to do so...unless the players are just being left to coach themselves...

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I’m not thrilled with some of the things Igor has not done, but come on. There is NO coach that could take this roster and make them do better. None.

Name one available coach you’d rather have and please provide valid reasoning that makes sense from a basketball and business perspective.

I’ve been disappointed in some of what Igor has done (or not done as the case may be), but he’s been a better choice than many others would have been.

Forget Popovich. I would settle for Jeff Hornacek level to start with the promise of being another Alvin Gentry (though this team really needs a disciplinarian, so perhaps Jeff Hornacek isn't the right name to use here, but hopefully you get my point that I am just looking for a base level of competence, not genius). Unfortunately, Igor has proved to be the spitting image of Earl Watson instead.

Again, I think it is absurd to accept a team hiring someone who is not qualified with the mere hope that someday he might become qualified.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

The Suns have enough offensive options. They don't have a coach who is quick enough to use them.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

Some posters on here (and other sites as well) are all over Igor for every little thing that goes wrong during games. That implies that they apparently expect him to be absolutely amazing from the get go and fix everything wrong with the teams play overnight.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

They did get and make some good shots in that video. The problem was on the other end with Murray making all his shots.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Some posters on here (and other sites as well) are all over Igor for every little thing that goes wrong during games...

no. no poster here or anywhere else is is all over Igor for "every little thing"

...That implies that they apparently expect him to be absolutely amazing from the get go and fix everything wrong with the teams play overnight.

no. no poster here or anywhere else expects him to be "absolutely amazing from the get go" or "overnight" or any other time

no. no poster here or anywhere else expects him to "fix everything wrong with the teams play"

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Some posters on here (and other sites as well) are all over Igor for every little thing that goes wrong during games. That implies that they apparently expect him to be absolutely amazing from the get go and fix everything wrong with the teams play overnight.

Not "absolutely amazing", just competent, not repeating the same mistakes over and over again, and demonstrating even a modicum of leadership and direction, especially during games. If that's asking too much, then I am afraid the bar has been set so low it might as well be underground.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

There's a big difference between "fix everything wrong with the team's play overnight" (which of course nobody expects) and not actually contributing to what's wrong with the team's play (which everybody should expect).

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
no. no poster here or anywhere else is is all over Igor for "every little thing"

no. no poster here or anywhere else expects him to be "absolutely amazing from the get go" or "overnight" or any other time

no. no poster here or anywhere else expects him to "fix everything wrong with the teams play"
Amazing. You and your ilk are all over him ALL THE TIME! That’s just outright false.

By definition, complaining that he isn’t doing everything you say implies that you think he should be perfect in everything.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Amazing. You and your ilk are all over him ALL THE TIME! That’s just outright false.

By definition, complaining that he isn’t doing everything you say implies that you think he should be perfect in everything.

Simple objective question: Why are you giving Igor Kokoskov such a pass?

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

by definition, responding to complaints of your hyperbole with more hyperbole is trolling

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

There is a lot of ilk these days.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
There is the "all or nothing" again. No one expected Igor, or any other first-time NBA Head Coach, to be absolutely amazing. Just efficient.

But therein lies the problem. Continually hiring Head Coaches who are learning on the job to save money (and maximize the investors' income) has kept us out of the playoffs for almost a decade. That is a lot of overnights. :)

I have no doubt that Igor is trying his best -- within his limitations. But he is in over his head. Y'know, that part of the body that houses (passive) personality traits. The NBA is a fancy sandlot league. It requires toughness.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the plus side my ignore list is now outpacing my receding hair line.

I know what you mean. I've reluctantly refused to use the ignore option it but it's getting pretty bad.

It seems like the Ilk are multiplying.

Pretty soon there will be nothing but Ilk.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05