Official Offseason Free Agency Thread

greensborohill

Registered
Reaction score
Yup and I can't say I blame him with Amare's health issues

I know he has issues, but how far do the Suns fall off if he leaves? Suns should take a page out of ATL's book and just go all in instead of risking losing him. I would hate Sarver if he was the owner of the team I rooted for. You guys have drafted so much talent and had so many good players come through in the last few years and he just lets them go. . . and still you guys compete and make it interesting. If Sarver had any care about winning and building a winning team you guys would have rings by now because your talent level has been off the charts over the last 5 years.

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Gambo reporting: Amare and Pat Riley had "very impresive" meeting last night in LA. No offer was made. Mike D'Antoni called and Amare on way to NY Saturday

No offer from Miami? Stoudemire has to know that they are waiting on an answer from Bosh first. I think NY is going to throw the max at Stoudemire. The are likely getting desperate with reports that Johnson is probably returning to Atlanta.

If Amare leaves, imo the best case scenerio is to Miami for Chalmer/Beasley/pick...

Reality, I would settle for Beasley and a pick....

Whatever the deal, the Suns MUST get something in a S&T for him, but considering that people do not think he is worht the max, I think there is less likely of a chance the Suns will get ANYTHING from him and he will just walk... :barf:

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Gambo: Suns have upped the offer to Channing Frye to 5 years and $25 million --he would be nuts not to jump at this!!!!!

That is ********... 5 million/yr is WAYYY too much for Frye, I am sorry.. just dumb...

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gambo: Suns have upped the offer to Channing Frye to 5 years and $25 million --he would be nuts not to jump at this!!!!!

Suns got to know Stoudemire is gone.

I think the Suns looked at Gooden's contract.

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That is ********... 5 million/yr is WAYYY too much for Frye, I am sorry.. just dumb...

I think it's fair value. It's less that what Barbs is making, and definitely less than Diaw's contract. I wouldn't go any higher than 25 million though. It's a very tradeable contract as well. I hope it's a flat contract.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score

Suns got to know Stoudemire is gone.

Hell no please... 5M$ per season is way way too much for Channing Frye.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
I know he has issues, but how far do the Suns fall off if he leaves? Suns should take a page out of ATL's book and just go all in instead of risking losing him. I would hate Sarver if he was the owner of the team I rooted for. You guys have drafted so much talent and had so many good players come through in the last few years and he just lets them go. . . and still you guys compete and make it interesting. If Sarver had any care about winning and building a winning team you guys would have rings by now because your talent level has been off the charts over the last 5 years.

Offensively there would be a dropoff - no question. However, there would likely be an improvement defensively and in rebounding with an any replacement.

As a writer of ESPNNewYork.com said it best this morning on ESPN, "Amare isn't a max level player. He couldn't guard a fire hydrant."

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
We are looking at a 41 Win season without Amare. The worst possible season we could have. An old team without any young star potential in the middle of mediocrity having no chance at the franchise players in the 2011 draft.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I think it's fair value. It's less that what Barbs is making, and definitely less than Diaw's contract. I wouldn't go any higher than 25 million though. It's a very tradeable contract as well. I hope it's a flat contract.

Just because it is less doesn't make it fair.

Barbosa and Diaw are both overpaid.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
5mil a year for a guy to hit 3s once every 3 games is too much. Only leaves the Suns with BAE to bring anyone else in unless they get a return on an Amare S&T.

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The biggest problem i have with signing Frye to a 5 Mil/yr contract is if we lose Amare, that contract eats over half of our cap room...

And I am just not sure there are that many teams clamoring at Channing Frye's door to pay him over 5 million a year, therefore we are in essance bidding against ourselves..

And maybe 5/25 wouldn't be THAT bad, if he had not almost single handedly cost us the WCF, but he did, and choked on the biggest stage...

If Amare walks for nothing, Channing Frye will be our starting PF next year... :barf:

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A factor to consider with Frye, he is only 27 years old and is 6'11." The Suns need young frontline players. Yes I do choke about the 25 M but I think this is the market. The Suns cannot afford to lose both Frye and Amare.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
The biggest problem i have with signing Frye to a 5 Mil/yr contract is if we lose Amare, that contract eats over half of our cap room...

And I am just not sure there are that many teams clamoring at Channing Frye's door to pay him over 5 million a year, therefore we are in essance bidding against ourselves..

And maybe 5/25 wouldn't be THAT bad, if he had not almost single handedly cost us the WCF, but he did, and choked on the biggest stage...

If Amare walks for nothing, Channing Frye will be our starting PF next year... :barf:

The Suns probably think that if they lose Amare it will be in a sign-and-trade deal. There have also been a lot of "experts" that think the Suns are still the frontrunner for Amare

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
A factor to consider with Frye, he is only 27 years old and is 6'11." The Suns need young frontline players. Yes I do choke about the 25 M but I think this is the market. The Suns cannot afford to lose both Frye and Amare.

Too bad he plays like a shooting guard and can only shoot at home and he can't do anything except catch and shoot.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Don't worry it's worse than you think. If the Suns are offering Frye this contract now it means they didn't waive their exceptions so they have no cap space. The offer basically eats up all the MLE. If Amare walks for nothing all the Suns will have is their BAE and vet min.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too bad he plays like a shooting guard and can only shoot at home and he can't do anything except catch and shoot.

Frye generally played well all season except against the Lakers in the playoffs. I'm aware of the home and road stats but I believe the same thing applied to JJ for one season. JJ shot better on the road for one season as I recall when he was with the Suns.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't worry it's worse than you think. If the Suns are offering Frye this contract now it means they didn't waive their exceptions so they have no cap space. The offer basically eats up all the MLE. If Amare walks for nothing all the Suns will have is their BAE and vet min.

There are trade options and still possibly a sign and trade with Amare. The Suns might be able to do a trade with JRich (an expiring contract), although I would hate to see him leave. I would prefer to trade LB but I don't think he has value.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
There are trade options and still possibly a sign and trade with Amare. The Suns might be able to do a trade with JRich (an expiring contract), although I would hate to see him leave. I would prefer to trade LB but I don't think he has value.

Yes, I was just pointing out that as it stands the Suns will have no significant cap space should Amare walk. Suns not waiving the exceptions means that they count against the cap regardless of what happens, couple that with the minimum cap holds and there likely isn't much more than the vet min in cap space should Amare walk.

Obviously they can get a TPE in a S&T or they could generate cap by unloading players(the later seems unlikely).

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Why would we want to overpay Frye and then trade JRich for some running contracts. Players teams want to get rid off for reasons.

We should just stay put, tank next season, get a high lottery pick, trade Barbosa and Nash for expiring contracts and then use our own massive capspace in 2011.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Why would we want to overpay Frye and then trade JRich for some running contracts. Players teams want to get rid off for reasons.

We should just stay put, tank next season, get a high lottery pick, trade Barbosa and Nash for expiring contracts and then use our own massive capspace in 2011.

We aren't trading Nash. The sooner people come to this reality the better.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I have hopes that some other team might offer Frye the full MLE like Gooden.

Likewise. I wouldn't have offered any more than 3mil per and if Amare leaving was a forgone conclusion I would have just let him walk.

Also there really isn't much in the way of 2011 FA outside Melo, 2012 may be a better option.