Official Offseason Free Agency Thread

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll be here all week.

Seriously, Darko has improved his game. He has back to the basket moves and can use either hand pretty well. The easy thing to do is talk about Darko during his Detroit days, but he's become a pretty good player.
Just in time for someone to pay him 20 mil.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Please don't throw 5 mill/year at Frye! Let him walk instead.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He isn't Tim Thomas. He just came into the league 2 years too early.

Darko's production actually has spiked in his contract years. Never understood how Thomas got the reputation of a contract player, his production was fairly consistent throughout his career.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Darko's production actually has spiked in his contract years. Never understood how Thomas got the reputation of a contract player, his production was fairly consistent throughout his career.

You can have nearly the same stats but have less impact. That's exactly what Tim Thomas did.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
If we sign and trade Amare to say Miami for nothing but a pick we would get a TPE exception of around 15-16M$ that we could use to sign Dirk Nowitzki without having to renounce the MLE, Frye or Amundson.

At least that is what I thought.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

His stats may have been consistent but his effort has been anything but consistent. Added to his inconsistency is the fact the he had all-star level ability that he rarely ever tapped. Right about now someone else is about to trade him for Keith Van Horn.

Steve

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
If we sign and trade Amare to say Miami for nothing but a pick we would get a TPE exception of around 15-16M$ that we could use to sign Dirk Nowitzki without having to renounce the MLE, Frye or Amundson.

No, you can't use a TPE to sign a player, only to trade for one. Dallas would have to agree to the deal, and they wouldn't.

Black Jesus

No Talent Ass-Clown
Reaction score
Please tell me this is a joke.

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/67690/20100701/frye_sitting_on_$25m_offer_from_suns_while_waiting_for_bulls_knicks/

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So with Amare leaving exactly how much money under the cap do the suns have to spend on free agents? I'm just curious if maybe we could go after Dirk and try to sign someone else thanks :). Oh and btw no way we should spend 25 million on Frye all he can do is shoot 3's he can't rebound or play defense....

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
And furthering my Kahn is an idiot theory... he's paying his 2nd round pick 13M over 4 years.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think the $25M/5 year offer we made to Frye is more than fair and probably the max he should expect from anyone. So the fact that he hasn't accepted it yet and rather wait to see what other teams have left does not seem to indicate that he really cares if he stays here. I know it's a bit early to accept offers, but I thought Frye would jump all over a Phoenix deal that pays him this much.

Now, as others mentioned, if he does accept then the only way we can replace Amare is with a sign-and-trade. We won't have enough money to even make Lee an offer otherwise. At this point I think it's more likely that Frye will end up our staring PF next year.

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Frye had better except it quick before it gets lowered back down. Don't play hard ball with a banker or that deal will start to dwindle real quickly. Quite frankly Frye is an idiot for not already accepting this large of a deal, he is not really going to get offers better than that.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can not believe Gay is getting 16M per....

He's shown signs of greatness and in this game you have to pay for the future. He may never be worth it but it's a risk they pretty much have to pay.

I know it would never happen but I'd love to see the CBA turn to a bonus driven structure. All the money earmarked for the players goes into a fund and from that each player is paid a small stipend established for years played. At the end of the playoffs, the remaining funds are allocated by a committee of former players, former coaches etc. Wouldn't it be nice to see these guys paid for what they just did instead of what they might one day do. Oh well, it's time for my afternoon medication.

Steve

joshstmarie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
^ to add to steves post, a small market team like the grizz are probably always going to have to overpay.. if you want to call it that.. I mean JJ just got the super max from the hawks, I dont see gay being that far off from JJs level.

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
Hoopshype currently lists the Suns at $43 million without Amare and Frye. My read on it is that the most the Suns can offer is in the $11 to $12 million range depending on where the cap is set.

If the Suns think they can sign Amare, they will be better off taking the MLE.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean JJ just got the super max from the hawks, I dont see gay being that far off from JJs level.

Joe is probably a little more consistent on both ends but Gay still has some untapped potential. And you're right, Gay isn't too far below JJ's level right now and he's 5 years younger with plenty of upside.

Steve

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
^ to add to steves post, a small market team like the grizz are probably always going to have to overpay.. if you want to call it that.. I mean JJ just got the super max from the hawks, I dont see gay being that far off from JJs level.

JJ is getting ridiculously overpaid too. And if Frye thinks he's getting better than 5/25M he's out of his mind. Nash & Amare are the only reason he played so well this year. He will not do as well anywhere else and I'm surprised he doesn't know it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05