Official Offseason Free Agency Thread

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, we might only be one player away from a championship. Unfortunately, it's the game changing superstar we're missing. Add a 25 year old Kareem to our new team and I like our chances. Anyone know where we can find a 25 year old Kareem so that signing Frye doesn't look so bad?

Steve

phoomanschu

Reaction score
According to German newspaper "Bild" Nash tried to bring Nowitzki to Phoenix. Nowitzki declined - Said Nowitzki: "There is nothing in Phoenix,that I wouldn't have here in Dallas. I would just leave Dallas, for a team, that would promise me a championship. But that's not possible".

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Rumor has it that Udonis Haslem will re-sign with MIA and that Mike Miller will join the team along with Derrick Fisher. How do they have any money left to sign guys for less than the league minimum? Wade, James and Bosh are going to account for around $50M of their cap, isn't the cap like $57M?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Rumor no more...Halem heads back to the heat.

http://twitter.com/IraHeatBeat

people still want to argue that there's no way the heat can put quality players around those three? looks like they'll add miller (needed shooter), fisher (needed shooter, playoff vet big gamer), and haslem (defender, rebounder). exactly the type of talent they need to surround the big 3 with. that team is winning championships.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
people still want to argue that there's no way the heat can put quality players around those three? looks like they'll add miller (needed shooter), fisher (needed shooter, playoff vet big gamer), and haslem (defender, rebounder). exactly the type of talent they need to surround the big 3 with. that team is winning championships.

I am with you. You could basically put scrubs around these guys and they would be a threat. You add Miller, Fischer and get Haslem back.....that's enough for me...I am sold.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I agree with your point although I think Fisher has already agreed with the Lakers. Still, they'll find enough quality players to fill in the holes. It remains to be seen how well they'll blend together but there will be no shortage of players willing to go there.

Steve

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I am with you. You could basically put scrubs around these guys and they would be a threat. You add Miller, Fischer and get Haslem back.....that's enough for me...I am sold.

Fisher went back to the Lakers.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fisher went back to the Lakers.

OK, I am still sold. All these need is a competent PG. Wade plays just as much PG from the SG position. LeBron is considered a Point Forward. If they can fill the roster with some Vets they still have enough IMO.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
OK, I am still sold. All these need is a competent PG. Wade plays just as much PG from the SG position. LeBron is considered a Point Forward. If they can fill the roster with some Vets they still have enough IMO.

The problem as I see it is that all the "decent" vets who will get the minimum will actually get paid more than the minimum by teams like Chicago, New Jersey and the Clippers--partly because they don't want Miami to have them.

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was really hoping that Haslem would be lured away by a competitor. I would love it if the Heat had to surround their guys with complete scrubs.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem as I see it is that all the "decent" vets who will get the minimum will actually get paid more than the minimum by teams like Chicago, New Jersey and the Clippers--partly because they don't want Miami to have them.

Yes but your going to have Miller, Wade, Lebron, Heslem, Bosch. It's not like they need much more help. Get a few players to spell your starters, use some fouls and they should be good.

IMO, it's going to be really hard to screw this up.

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes but your going to have Miller, Wade, Lebron, Heslem, Bosch. It's not like they need much more help. Get a few players to spell your starters, use some fouls and they should be good.

IMO, it's going to be really hard to screw this up.

They need size, they need a good bench since they cant play entire 48mins throughout the season. It may be hard to screw up but if they overlook those intangibles, they may not even get to the ECF

Manu4five

Veteran
Reaction score
Reportedly (Woj twitter) the Spurs signed Splitter for 3 years, 10.9 mill. Steal of the offseason?

Do you think elindholms assessment of Splitter was adequate? "Splitter sucks and he will never play in the NBA anyway. That was a wasted pick."

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Reportedly (Woj twitter) the Spurs signed Splitter for 3 years, 10.9 mill. Steal of the offseason?

Do you think elindholms assessment of Splitter was adequate? "Splitter sucks and he will never play in the NBA anyway. That was a wasted pick."

Well, if the reports are correct, I was at least half wrong: he'll play in the NBA after all. But I still doubt he'll come anywhere near to living up to the hype.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Because they make good spark plugs :D

Valuable component of the engine that is an NBA team. :D

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=5375672

This is an article about Raja and Kobe making nice, but buried in the story it says that the Suns are attempting to look into signing Raja as well.

Oh dear lord why??? I have watched Raja since then and he is not the same player. We don't need his shot and though he still plays tough he can't keep guys in front of him like he used to.

Please Suns no. Stop bringing in aging vets at the end of their careers.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Oh dear lord why??? I have watched Raja since then and he is not the same player. We don't need his shot and though he still plays tough he can't keep guys in front of him like he used to.

Please Suns no. Stop bringing in aging vets at the end of their careers.

Fully agree. I see absolutely no reason to bring Bell in unless we're making a move with Jrich. Then I could see bringing Bell in to backup Childress at the 2 spot.

As it stands right now he is an vastly inferior version of Dudley.