Official Offseason Free Agency Thread

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
It seems as more time goes on the Suns may not have a plan "B." Frye is not worth a 5/32 contract and Amare may indeed go elsewhere. The Suns may have to go to 3rd tier players to fill the gaps. This is not looking good. The Suns should now actively pursue other players. It blooks like Sarver is just being used for leverage.

Luckily we have an experienced GM in place to bridge the gap.

cly2tw

Reaction score
It seems as more time goes on the Suns may not have a plan "B." Frye is not worth a 5/32 contract and Amare may indeed go elsewhere. The Suns may have to go to 3rd tier players to fill the gaps. This is not looking good. The Suns should now actively pursue other players. It blooks like Sarver is just being used for leverage.

Fiscal responsibility is assured for this franchise. Who says that Sarver is not using other teams 'irresponsible' offers as excuse?:D

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fiscal responsibility is assured for this franchise. Who says that Sarver is not using other teams 'irresponsible' offers as excuse?:D

I don't know. 30 million for Frye does not seem like fiscal responsibility to me. I don't think it's as out of line as most here do but it's still too high. I'm not sure how they'll do it, but someone here will use this as further proof that Sarver is cheap.

Steve

cly2tw

Reaction score
I don't know. 30 million for Frye does not seem like fiscal responsibility to me. I don't think it's as out of line as most here do but it's still too high. I'm not sure how they'll do it, but someone here will use this as further proof that Sarver is cheap.

Steve

Maybe because Sarver bought in on the argument we offered him that Frye instead of Diaw would get us the glory of 2006 again, as long as Nash is still here? If that, it'd be a great investment!;)

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just got a tweet from Gambo that the Suns will NOT meet Frye's demand for 5/32.

Well, I guess that's technically correct; 30 is less than 32. I wouldn't be surprised if we find out later that the deal was really for the entire MLE.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Steve

The market dictated it. Compared to the other comparable players out there, 5/30 actually seems normal. Overpaying, yes. But normal.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seems the Nets are wanting to part with Kris Humphies. I'd grab him especially if the Suns cannot get Warrick.

The Nets will have to move Kris Humphries’ $3.2 million salary to accomplish this, and it is believed that they have had productive talks with several Western Conference teams that would be willing to absorb the power forward’s contract for the price of draft picks and cash.

He would be a good pickup for the Suns based on salary and getting something back in return if Amare leaves. He is a decent role playing PF.

See link from Dave D'Alessandro/The Star-Ledger:

http://www.nj.com/nets/index.ssf/2010/07/nets_definitely_in_the_game_as.html

Last edited:

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm not sure how they'll do it, but someone here will use this as further proof that Sarver is cheap.
Whether or not Sarver proves to be cheap again depends on what other moves we make, no? Imagine if the Suns sign-and-trade Amare, get a $18M trade exception, but then decide not to use it and put Frye in the starting lineup instead. Wouldn't that be considered cheap?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whether or not Sarver proves to be cheap again depends on what other moves we make, no? Imagine if the Suns sign-and-trade Amare, get a $18M trade exception, but then decide not to use it and put Frye in the starting lineup instead. Wouldn't that be considered cheap?

I don't know. He makes financially motivated decisions that are stupid but I just can't call him cheap. It would be irresponsible of him to not try and maintain a sound fiscal position, he just goes about it in some really horrible ways (selling draft picks etc). He needs to hire quality people and remove himself from the decision making process but I'm not sure his ego will allow him to do that.

As for the trade exception, I'm not sure who is out there that might be available that we would really want. If there is a clear cut answer to that question I'd have a lot more interest in acquiring a TPE but right now it doesn't sound all that appealing to me. And I want draft picks for Amare and could really care less about an exception or some of the players being mentioned (other than Lee or the Nets rookie).

Steve

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
The market dictated it. Compared to the other comparable players out there, 5/30 actually seems normal. Overpaying, yes. But normal.

Ha, you're using **** contracts like the Darko/Gooden/other contracts to justify a stupid contract? Here's a crazy idea...why not sign a scrub like Brian Cook for a year, and wait for the inevitable lockout, then once salaries are back to reality, sign a player at that point!

As others have mentioned, it'll take us from a decent but hopeless team, to a mediocre team, but at least we won't be stuck with an albatross. Just because other GM's are idiots doesn't mean we have to. Oh yeah, I forgot, we don't even have a GM.:barf:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
5/30M$ is pure insanity for Frye. I am done with this.

In a few years we will give up first round picks just to move Frye under the new CBA and for what? FOR A HORRIBLE SEASON without Amare and signing Warrick as a replacement.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Suns targetting Tyrus Thomas according to some media sources.

Dirk Nowitzki met with Steve Nash in New York instead of dinner with Kidd according to ESPN.

The best thing that still could happen would be signing Tyrus Thomas for the full MLE, sign and trade Amare for nothing but a pick and then sign Dirk Nowitzki for the TPE. Though Thomas would be a bit redundant. Morrow would be the better signing or Mike Miller for the full MLE.

Lopez/Thomas/Collins
Nowitzki/Frye/Lawal
Hill/Dudley/Clark
JRich/Barbosa
Nash/Dragic

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will add my previous post to this thread as well as it appears just as applicable to the "Rick Bucher ESPN says Amare will not be back in Phoenix" thread.

It appears in an article written by By Craig Morgan of Foxsportarizona that the Suns may have interest in Tyrus Thomas and that Amare may have already received the offer he wants elsewhere.

Amar’e Stoudemire’s free-agency stint could be short-lived. A source familiar with the negotiations confirmed that Stoudemire received a better offer on Thursday from another NBA team than anything he has or expects to receive from the Suns.

The source said Stoudemire could agree to that deal as soon as Friday, leaving the Suns in the market for a replacement power forward.

With Stoudemire apparently out of the picture, the Suns are said to be on the verge of offering restricted free agent Tyrus Thomas a contract of undisclosed terms on Friday.

http://www.foxsportsarizona.com/07/0...88&feedID=3702

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Hat

Return of the Dragon!
Reaction score

Dirk Nowitzki met with Steve Nash in New York instead of dinner with Kidd according to ESPN.

The best thing that still could happen would be signing Tyrus Thomas for the full MLE, sign and trade Amare for nothing but a pick and then sign Dirk Nowitzki for the TPE. Though Thomas would be a bit redundant. Morrow would be the better signing or Mike Miller for the full MLE.

Lopez/Thomas/Collins
Nowitzki/Frye/Lawal
Hill/Dudley/Clark
JRich/Barbosa
Nash/Dragic

Although the bigs are a little soft, I'd be more than happy with that lineup next year. Definately a competitor for the finals.

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Lopez/Thomas/Collins
Nowitzki/Frye/Lawal
Hill/Dudley/Clark
JRich/Barbosa
Nash/Dragic

Nice fantasy, but it's my understanding that you can't sign a player with a TPE. Getting Dirk with the TPE would mean Cuban would have to agree to trade him to us and remember TPE's can't be combine with another player. I don't see that happening.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Ha, you're using **** contracts like the Darko/Gooden/other contracts to justify a stupid contract? Here's a crazy idea...why not sign a scrub like Brian Cook for a year, and wait for the inevitable lockout, then once salaries are back to reality, sign a player at that point!

As others have mentioned, it'll take us from a decent but hopeless team, to a mediocre team, but at least we won't be stuck with an albatross. Just because other GM's are idiots doesn't mean we have to. Oh yeah, I forgot, we don't even have a GM.:barf:

Hey, I didn't set the market price. Teams like the Milwaukee Bucks did.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Hey, I didn't set the market price. Teams like the Milwaukee Bucks did.

so you're saying that you're okay with following the milwaukee bucks' lead. you let that type of organization dictate how you do business. that puts you in the sheep category. sorry chap, had to be said.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
so you're saying that you're okay with following the milwaukee bucks' lead. you let that type of organization dictate how you do business. that puts you in the sheep category. sorry chap, had to be said.

When did I say that?? Stop accusing me of things like you always do.

I was saying that the justification the Suns will/are using is that the market for Frye was set not by me, not by you, but other actual basketball teams. I've maintained that he's overpaid, but we weren't going to get him for less.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

I was saying that the justification the Suns will/are using is that the market for Frye was set not by me, not by you, but other actual basketball teams. I've maintained that he's overpaid, but we weren't going to get him for less.

So let him walk. Frye isn't a pivotal part of any team and there is no need to pay him like one just because other teams have paid other marginal players.

For the record the reports from Milwaukee are that the Gooden deal is only for 3yr/16mil guaranteed with the final 2 years being team options. Unless the last 2 years on Frye's deal are team option the Bucks got a much much better bargain.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

bottomline chap, are you okay with the deal? if you are, i'm calling you one of the sheep. not being meanspirited, but i think anyone that's okay with this deal is a sheep. you're okay with following the bucks.

i'm not saying, "the end is nigh!" but by no means do i think this is a prudent course of action for the team. i would have defied the market in this scenario. a good stock trader stays outta the market when prices are unreasonable, a bad trader ends up buying high. suns bought high. not a value proposition and your roleplayers should be value propositions. your stars should be the only place where you might overspend, and even then a team should do so judiciously.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
bottomline chap, are you okay with the deal? if you are, i'm calling you one of the sheep. not being meanspirited, but i think anyone that's okay with this deal is a sheep. you're okay with following the bucks.

i'm not saying, "the end is nigh!" but by no means do i think this is a prudent course of action for the team. i would have defied the market in this scenario. a good stock trader stays outta the market when prices are unreasonable, a bad trader ends up buying high. suns bought high. not a value proposition and your roleplayers should be value propositions. your stars should be the only place where you might overspend, and even then a team should do so judiciously.

Big +1 Only way I disagree with this is if you are one player away from a championship.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

Of course I'm not ok with it. He's overpaid. Period. So are Drew Gooden and Darko Milicic. I agree we should have let him walk rather than pay him that much. It makes no sense to have that short of a negotiation. The only thing I can think of is that he got an equivalent offer from another team and for some reason, the Suns would rather keep him than let him walk. He certainly wasn't going to give us a hometown discount, which is what I had hoped for.

So to be clear, you were ok for the Suns to possibly overspend on Amare?