Official Offseason Free Agency Thread

Manu4five

Veteran
Reaction score
Well, if the reports are correct, I was at least half wrong: he'll play in the NBA after all. But I still doubt he'll come anywhere near to living up to the hype.

Yes, no one knows yet so let's see. It might take a while for him to change some things. He has to learn the Spurs' system, which normally takes a couple of months. Also he has to change the way he sets screens or he will get called for moving screens all the time (they don't call that the same way in Europe). But I know that he can play so I'm hopeful. I think what will surprise people the most is his passing skills. I think his teammates will appreciate him a lot.

Splitter has had a busy time last month: helped his team beat Barcelona (with Rubio and some good vets) in the finals of the Spanish league, got the MVP awards for both regular season and finals, then got married, cut his honeymoon short and signed with the Spurs.

On SpursTalk fans are as happy for the Splitter signing as they are mad at the Bonner signing.

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, if the reports are correct, I was at least half wrong: he'll play in the NBA after all. But I still doubt he'll come anywhere near to living up to the hype.

Eric, you know he had that quote bookmarked, just waiting to bring it out when Splitter signed. He showed you! Now with Splitter, maybe they'll win a game if we meet again in the playoffs.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Eric, you know he had that quote bookmarked, just waiting to bring it out when Splitter signed. He showed you! Now with Splitter, maybe they'll win a game if we meet again in the playoffs.

Boo YA! There has not been nearly enough talk on this board about how the Suns SWEPT the spers this year.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Twitter from Gambo:

Gambo620
Suns looking for backup centers-Kurt Thomas, Francisco Oberto, Rasha Nesterovic, Mark Blount & Dwayne Jones if Toronto releases on the list

I'm just reporting it, don't shoot the messenger!

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I actually wouldn't be against starting KT at the 4. If they get to the point where they're going to settle on Blount though I'd probably just bring back Collins.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I look at that list and think that if any of those guys improve our team even just a little bit, it means we were a pretty bad team to begin with. If that's the case, I'd just as soon play Lawal or the other rookie and live with the errors.

Steve

myrondizzo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I mentioned KT in another thread and someone said he was already getting offers. he'd beg the only one on the list i'd be interested in. maybe oberto but i dont know much about his game. KT is a FA so we wouldnt need to trade for him right?

myrondizzo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
maybe we could pick up Ike Diogu. i have heard much about him but he is listed as a free agent.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
I mentioned KT in another thread and someone said he was already getting offers. he'd beg the only one on the list i'd be interested in. maybe oberto but i dont know much about his game. KT is a FA so we wouldnt need to trade for him right?

Oberto once went 11-11 from the field against Amare. I say we sign him and only play him when we face the Knicks....

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Twitter from Gambo:

I'm just reporting it, don't shoot the messenger!

AKA, the poo poo platter. We're already running 11 deep and it's doubtful any of those guys will crack the rotation. Finding enough minutes for the top 10 will be challenge enough.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oberto once went 11-11 from the field against Amare. I say we sign him and only play him when we face the Knicks....

Is it just me or are there are lot of big guys that won't get to play much until they face the Knicks?

Steve

myrondizzo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Oberto sounds interesting. how is he at the pick and roll? not that he is an all star but didnt the spurs win a champoinship with him starting?

Irish

Registered
Reaction score
Oberto sounds interesting. how is he at the pick and roll? not that he is an all star but didnt the spurs win a champoinship with him starting?

I don't know what is going on with Oberto, but his rebounding has dropped off A LOT'

07-08 5.2 rpg in 20 minutes per game
08-09 2.6 RPG IN 12.5 minutes per game
09-10 1.8 rpg in 11.4 minutes per game

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Yes, no one knows yet so let's see. It might take a while for him to change some things. He has to learn the Spurs' system, which normally takes a couple of months. Also he has to change the way he sets screens or he will get called for moving screens all the time (they don't call that the same way in Europe). But I know that he can play so I'm hopeful. I think what will surprise people the most is his passing skills. I think his teammates will appreciate him a lot.

Splitter has had a busy time last month: helped his team beat Barcelona (with Rubio and some good vets) in the finals of the Spanish league, got the MVP awards for both regular season and finals, then got married, cut his honeymoon short and signed with the Spurs.

On SpursTalk fans are as happy for the Splitter signing as they are mad at the Bonner signing.

I couldn't possibly care about any of this. Don't waste your time.

Manu4five

Veteran
Reaction score
Oberto was good but had health problems (a heart condition). It was a sad thing when we let him go. Manu said about him that he was the best big man at setting screens he had ever played with. Also he was smart and played perfect team D. Very limited athletically though, he cannot jump. I thought he would retire but he got some procedure done on his heart last summer. Just wish him the best.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Didn't the Suns use the BAE on Frye last year?

I don't think so. Or at least they had no reason to since Hill and Frye's combined salary was less than the MLE. And that's if they even used the MLE on Hill, which I don't believe they had to since they had his Early Bird rights.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
huh? i saw three other teams named, but not the suns.

NBA front-office sources say that Bell continues to draw interest from a variety of playoff teams, such as Miami, Dallas and San Antonio. One source said signing with the Heat has essentially been ruled out because of Miami's financial constraints after signing LeBron James, Chris Bosh and Mike Miller to flank the re-signed Dwyane Wade and Udonis Haslem. But the Suns are also weighing the prospect of trying to bring Bell back.

Suns have to be making a move to get a PF if they are really pursuing Bell(even though I think Bell is done as an impact player).