Philadelphia Phillies @ Arizona Diamondbacks series thread. 08/08/24-08/11/24

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
You guys think there’s any chance we see Merrell Kelly on Sunday?

OP
OP
Ronin

Ronin

In your city
Super Moderator
Reaction score
AZ SnakePit
@AZSnakepit
·
2h
The D-backs are 24-9 since June 28.

That's tied for their best 33-game spell in more than two decades (27-6 from June 22-August 26, 2002).

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kind of a brutal schedule for the Dbacks. Double header then travel across the country for a next day 4 game set. I would not be surprised by a loss tonight

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kind of a brutal schedule for the Dbacks. Double header then travel across the country for a next day 4 game set. I would not be surprised by a loss tonight
Cleveland had the best record in MLB pre Dbacks

Philadephia now has the best record in MLB

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Can't win 'em all... However, the way this team is performing and the way Torey is talking about this team, it sure seems to me that they are one helluva CONNECTED team!

krazy2k

Veteran
Reaction score
The Pie-Rats have a "Bad Closer" situation that rivals the DBacks. Once again, they couldn't hold a lead against the Padres in the 9th and lost - getting swept in the process. DBacks need to win tonight to keep pace. The Phillies are a very good team this year and the pitching matchups are brutal. I hope we can get out of the weekend with at least a split. Montgomery has been hot garbage this season and it is time for him to have a decent game. Given the DBacks offense lately, decent may produce a win. But he can't give up a boatload of runs in the first two innings like he has done in past outings.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The Pie-Rats have a "Bad Closer" situation that rivals the DBacks. Once again, they couldn't hold a lead against the Padres in the 9th and lost - getting swept in the process. DBacks need to win tonight to keep pace. The Phillies are a very good team this year and the pitching matchups are brutal. I hope we can get out of the weekend with at least a split. Montgomery has been hot garbage this season and it is time for him to have a decent game. Given the DBacks offense lately, decent may produce a win. But he can't give up a boatload of runs in the first two innings like he has done in past outings.
Crazy thing is Bednar would have fetched a few high level prospects last year . Relievers and especially closers are very finicky from year to year. Thompson was waived because he was so bad and ended up being one of our best relievers for the last 15 months. Just how it goes I guess

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Our closer situation is far from bad and nowhere near a problem on par with more than half of MLB. Sewald is struggling for sure, though you can see some mild improvement as of late. Justin is still very, very young and raw but is growing into a more reliable late-inning presence with each passing game. Puk, with the exception of a quarter of the '23 season, has never been used as a closer, yet, we can see there could be closer potential there.
Thompson is more than serviceable in a pinch and I'd say the same about newly acquired Dylan Floro, as well as Ginkel. Is it a bit unsettling to not have a definitive go-to guy to close out a game at this point in the season? Sure it is... However, Torey has plenty of credible options at his disposal. He won't pull the right card 100% of the time. No closer successfully closes 100% of the games they appear in after all. But I'm confident that over the remainder of this regular season, our entire bullpen rotation will fall into place and we'll have landed on a solid, go-to closer well in time to make that run through the playoffs!

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our closer situation is far from bad and nowhere near a problem on par with more than half of MLB. Sewald is struggling for sure, though you can see some mild improvement as of late. Justin is still very, very young and raw but is growing into a more reliable late-inning presence with each passing game. Puk, with the exception of a quarter of the '23 season, has never been used as a closer, yet, we can see there could be closer potential there.
Thompson is more than serviceable in a pinch and I'd say the same about newly acquired Dylan Floro, as well as Ginkel. Is it a bit unsettling to not have a definitive go-to guy to close out a game at this point in the season? Sure it is... However, Torey has plenty of credible options at his disposal. He won't pull the right card 100% of the time. No closer successfully closes 100% of the games they appear in after all. But I'm confident that over the remainder of this regular season, our entire bullpen rotation will fall into place and we'll have landed on a solid, go-to closer well in time to make that run through the playoffs
The Dbacks are the 5th worst team in the majors with 21 blown saves in 49 opportunities

Let's not lipstick this pig

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gurriel is just terrible this year. It's not talked about enough. His defense has been really poor...as you can see how he handled that fly ball that tied the game.