Post Steeers' Game: Roster Thoughts

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
QB (3): 13-Warner; 7-Leinart; 2-St. Pierre.

When Whiz said St. Pierre "didn't get much help," he was right on the money. When the Cardinals took over late in the third quarter, on first and ten, St. Pierre made a nice throw to LaRod Stephens-Howling for a 5 yard gain, alas, which was nullified by Oliver Ross' holding penalty. Sure, St. Pierre's subsequent interception was ill-advised, no question. But, Jerheme Urban did nothing to sell the route (and it's hard to tell what route Urban was running) and then Urban stood in cement and did not work back to the bal, thus allowing the Steeler CB to jump the route.

I am not sure if any NFL QB would have had much of a chance with Ross' and the 2nd team o-line's shabby play. How about the play where Ziggy Hood blew right through Ross and Elton Brown for an untouched straight line sack on St. Pierre?

For those of you who think the #2 QB battle, promoted by Whiz, is silly or a farce, you really don't know Ken Whisenhunt. And if you think this game sealed the deal for Leinart, you are jumping to a pre-mature conclusion.

Clearly, Leinart played better in this game...but, to be fair, Leinart was given a far better chance protection and personnel-wise...Whiz is fuly cognizant of this, which is why, in fairness, he is switching their roles this week.

As for Tyler Palko, he showed nifty feet and a very good awareness of when and where to sidestep pressure. This is a necessary aspect of him game, seeing as he's a smaller QB who can create clearer passing lanes by shifting around or outside of the pocket. In some ways, he reminded me of a left handed Jake Plummer.

This game assured Palko of a practice squad spot.

One thing to point out, though, is that not only was palko throwing against the Steelers' scrubs, the Steelers that late in the game were sitting in a semi-prevent. The receivers that were open underneath were open for a reason, as the deep thirds were playing soft. Not to take away, necessarily from the good throws Palko made and in a couple of cases created when he scrambled...he did a very good job of finding and taking what the defense was giving him. And the strike he threw to Onrea Jones for the TD was sweet.

RB (3): 34-Hightower; 26-Wells; 36-Stephens-Howling.

Jason Wright needed to take better advantage of his playing time, and did not. He was merely average at best. The kid who stood outplayed him was LaRod Stephens-Howling, and quite franky, it may be one of the coaches toughest decisions as to whether to keep Wright or LSH. While LSH has a little tiny hitch in his gitty-up, he's got the gitty-up that Wright doesn't...which is why, once LSH gets comfortable, he could fill the role vacated by J.J. Arrington, as the speed receiver/draw play back. Whiz likes speedy backs and always has. Wright is a far better blocker, but if Whiz wants a blocker in a 3rd down situation he can go with Dan Kreider and I have a sense that Tim Hightower will be a much improved blocker this year having learned from Edge last year.

Hopefully we will get our first look at Beanie this week. What intrigues me, other than seeing what his blend of speed and power will do for the offense as a whole, is what Beanie may be able to offer the team as a kickoff returner. Michael Ray Garvin put up good numbers...but may need a year on the PS. Roster spots are going to be very difficult to decide and if Wells can be the kickoff returner as a rookie, that may be the best answer in the short-term...with the intention of bringing Garvin onto the roster when he's ready.

As for punt returns, I think a combination of Antrel Rolle and Steve Breaston would be fine. We need to be a little patient with Rolle as he adjusts to the role. Once the real game lights are on, Rolle will put on a show. In pressure situations, Breaston is the guy to have back there.

FB (1): 35-Kreider.

Best blocker vailable, by far.

TE (3): 82-Pope; 83-Spach; 39-Byrd.

Pope and Byrd form a nice pass receiving tandem. Pope's size up the seams is an attractive option in this offense, and Byrd's fluid, athletic skills work very well for the under and crossing routes. Spach is the blocking TE, who is going to have to stave off Anthony Becht, when Becht returns.

The best reason why Byrd makes this roster? We are what we are. We are a passing offense, first and foremost, and this kid is the most naturally gifted receiver of the group, save perhaps, Ben Patrick, who could be a real gem if he gets in great shape.

WR (6): 11-Fitzgerald; 81-Boldin; 15-Breaston; 85-Urban; 80-Doucet; 87-Morey.

Two players drawing some consideration here are Lance Long and Onrea Jones. Long has a knack for getting open and he's become a favorite short and intermediate target for all the QBs. Jones played very well, catching two balls for 42 yards and the one TD. And Edward Gant might be yet another player worthy of PS consideration.

Now, as for Michael Ray Garvin, I was not only enthused by the wuality of his kickoff returns, I was also a tad surprised to see him contribute at WR. Yes, he dropped the crossing route pass that led to the interception...but he came right back on the next series and caught a nice hitch pass. While he appears to be fighting the ball a little bit on passes and punt returns, at this point, he's farhter along than I would have imagined. Being around Steve Breaston for a year could do wonders for Garvin.

I don't see Garvin being ready for punt return duties this early in his career. He has less time to fight the ball, and it seems that once he catches the ball he heads straight for the sidelines, rather than look for a straighter route up the middle.

If Beanie Wells does not become the kickoff returner...I think Garvin makes this roster. It would seem that LSH isn't nearly as ready for this task as Garvin.

OL (9): 69-Gandy; 74-Wells; 63-Sendlein; 76-Lutui; 75-Brown, L.; 61-Brown, E.; 72-Keith; 50-Fowler; TBA.

The team has to go and get a deal done with Levi Jones. With Elliot Vallejo out for another month and a half (which really puts the Cardinals in a tough situation roster-wise---one would guess that they are going to have to place Vallejo on the IR, unless he makes a miraculous recovery before the final cuts on Spetember 5th.

Oliver Ross struggled mightily at RT during his last stint with the club. To even think he could hold up at LT is a tremendous stretch.

Thus, the signing of Levi Jones becomes all the more imminent. Perhaps the Cardinals could ink him to an incentive oriented deal, which, if the deal were for 2-3 years, would also gibe the Cardinals some longer term security, seeing as Gandy is heading toward free agency.

In this game I was very impressed with Sendelin, Lutui and Levi Brown (save his one pass protection gaffe)...they are stronger this year, no question. The success of the running game is depending on it...hello TH and BW!

I was expecting more from Elton Brown, especially hearing how solid he's been in camp. I will say this...if the Cardinals cannot sign Levi Jones, they must put Elton Brown at 2nd team LT immediatey to see if he can do alright there. Put Brown there and put Trevor Canfield with the 2nd unit at LG.

Two young players who may have good shots at the PS: T Brandon Pierce and G Carlton Meddar. Both are in very good shape and have some skills.

C Melvin Fowler is solid. Good addition by RG.

NT (2): 97-Robinson; 98-Watson.

Robinson looks a little stronger this year...and looks to be in better shape...which is very good news. Watson is a little erratic. Once he gets back to where he was before he hurt his knee, he should be a real force in the middle.

Branch remains an enigma. The light bulb is hardly flickering. he has three more weeks to get it screwed in tightly, but right now, to perform as uninspired as he did during scrub time, is not good at all. At least he did work his way to the ball five times, but his initial pop and his technique were not strong.

DE (4): 90-Dockett; 93-Campbell; 91-Iwebema; 73-Dykes.

Campbell was very good. Iwebema showed some toughness and will. And, once Dykes returns, he's got it over the others. Leisle has some strength, but he has to be more productive and aggressive to make the roster.

The kid Field from Virginia looks like he has some skills...might be a PS candidate.

ILB (4): 54-Hayes; 58-Dansby; TBA; 95-Highsmith.

The depth here is a major question mark. Pago Togafau works hard and gets the most of his ability and an ankle-biting ILB, but his lack of strength does not enable him to hold up in the middle. Take a look at the Steelers' first TD. Togafau took on the blocker fiarly well, which is a concern to begin with, and managed to shed the block, but then was run over fairly easily by the rookie RB Redman.

Ali Highsmith was active and appears to be fairly well healed. But, he too is not particularly strong, and it may do the Cardinals well to pick up two new ILBers off of waivers.

The team surely misses Monty Beisel and needs to find his replacement.

OLB (5): 53-Haggans; 56-Okeafor; 92-Berry; 52-Brown, C.: 59-Davis.

This team needs Bertrand Berry to be a good situational pass rusher. Youngsters Brown and Davis show flashes of pass rushing ability, but are going to need some time to get NFL ready. The worry will be whether the venerable tandem of haggans and Okeafor can hold up physcially and production-wise. This too is an area where depth ios a real concern, as much as the immediate ability the group has to put consistent pressure on the passer.

CB (5): 29-Rodgers-Cromartie; 25-McFadden; 20-Brown, R.; 32-Toler; 27-Adams.

Greg Toler is making good strides. He made an excellent break up of a Steeler out pass late in the game and showed very good technique and aggressiveness on the play. Michael Adams may not be suited to start at CB, but he is a fiesty CB underneath in combination man-zone schemes. Next to McFadden, Adams is the best tackler in the group.

S (4): 24-Wilson; 21-Rolle; 47-Francisco; 41-Johnson.

Francisco looks at home as the backup SS...and Lewis looked solid there too, but as of this week is on the outsde looking in (this is why these roster decision are so hard, because here is a player that can help the STs a great deal...but not more than Morey, who gets the nod). Matt Ware is in the same situation, and he's a player the coaches have liked.

Rashad Johnson showed good instincts and strength in this game. The hope is that he will assimilate comfortably into the defense by mid-season the way DRC did last year.

ST (3): 1-Rackers; 5-Graham; 48-Leach.

Like the PGA motto: "These guys are good."

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Palko reminded me of Fran Tarkenton. Hope he keeps it up and sticks with this team.

cardfan

Registered
Reaction score
Mitch, I don't think Vallejo will be put on IR because that means he would be out the rest of the season, which he won't be. I think he will just be listed as injured day to day, and be ready to back up Gandy by the first game against the 49ers.

bg7brd

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Good stuff Mitch. Just a couple of thoughts of my own. I agree with Cardfan about Vajello and I would put Branch in Adams spot. I think it's too early to give up on Branch and I think we might only carry 4 corners since Rolle can play nickel and even corner in a pinch.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I am not sure if any NFL QB would have had much of a chance with Ross' and the 2nd team o-line's shabby play. How about the play where Ziggy Hood blew right through Ross and Elton Brown for an untouched straight line sack on St. Pierre?

Strange you would say that considering Ross and Brown were on the oline along with Brandon Keith during Leinart's 14 play 85 yard drive.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Mitch, I don't think Vallejo will be put on IR because that means he would be out the rest of the season, which he won't be. I think he will just be listed as injured day to day, and be ready to back up Gandy by the first game against the 49ers.

I hope you are right, cardfan. The question is whether he can get healthy in 4 weeks, when his prognosis was 6-8 weeks. If the Cardinals are going to keep him on the roster, they had better have Elton Brown ready to play LT in the interim.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Good stuff Mitch. Just a couple of thoughts of my own. I agree with Cardfan about Vajello and I would put Branch in Adams spot. I think it's too early to give up on Branch and I think we might only carry 4 corners since Rolle can play nickel and even corner in a pinch.

IMO, bg7brd, Adams, right now, brings much more to the table than Branch. We need him on STs...he's the best gunner on the team...no one lese comes close.

Plus, the Cardinals will have to keep at least 9 DBs...and adding Branch while subtracting Adams would mean keeping only 8 DBs.

These are tough roster decisions, aren't they, my friend?

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
My problem with BSP is his decision making. He seems to telegraph passes, not looking off routes, and doesn't commit the safety. He still seems uncomfortable and uneasy back there. He has a strong arm and the physical tools, but there is so much more to being a good NFL QB then talent.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Strange you would say that considering Ross and Brown were on the oline along with Brandon Keith during Leinart's 14 play 85 yard drive.

Good point, Duckjake. I am happy for the team and Matt Leinart that that unit played better in that series.

In the third quarter they were very poor.

Another point: The interception St. Pierre threw is a play that the Cardinals will not run in games, because it makes no sense. It was a play action pass, where St. Pierre had to fake the handoff, take a three step drop from there, plant, turn and immediately throw to the far left sideline, to a WR who commands no deep pass respect, who is running a hitch pattern...all for what, a potential 10 yard gain?

When the Cardinals do go play action they normally intend to attack the middle of the field...and the intermediate zone beyond the linebackers.

After the play, Warner was huddled with St. Pierre and Urban and it looked like they were trying to hash out what went wrong. I bet you, we will not see this play again.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Good point, Duckjake. I am happy for the team and Matt Leinart that that unit played better in that series.

In the third quarter they were very poor.

Another point: The interception St. Pierre threw is a play that the Cardinals will not run in games, because it makes no sense. It was a play action pass, where St. Pierre had to fake the handoff, take a three step drop from there, plant, turn and immediately throw to the far left sideline, to a WR who commands no deep pass respect, who is running a hitch pattern...all for what, a potential 10 yard gain?

When the Cardinals do go play action they normally intend to attack the middle of the field...and the intermediate zone beyond the linebackers.

After the play, Warner was huddled with St. Pierre and Urban and it looked like they were trying to hash out what went wrong. I bet you, we will not see this play again.
That may be true, but it was a bad decision regardless.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
My problem with BSP is his decision making. He seems to telegraph passes, not looking off routes, and doesn't commit the safety. He still seems uncomfortable and uneasy back there. He has a strong arm and the physical tools, but there is so much more to being a good NFL QB then talent.

Binkar...the guy hadn't taken a snap in a game in a whole year. Doesn't he deserve just a little slack? Last year in the pre-season games he played well. Let's see how he plays this week.

cardfan

Registered
Reaction score
I hope you are right, cardfan. The question is whether he can get healthy in 4 weeks, when his prognosis was 6-8 weeks. If the Cardinals are going to keep him on the roster, they had better have Elton Brown ready to play LT in the interim.

Mitch, I think the original prognosis was 4 weeks, but he was given 4-6 to be safe. That means the 49ers game would be at the five week mark, the Jaguars game with be at the six week mark. Elton Brown can easily play backup to Gandy in that time. There were times Vallejo was not activated for games last year because of other injuries to the team and Elton Brown would have been Gandy's only backup anyway. I think this is going to work out alright.

Carddan

Average Fan
Reaction score
Mitch I agree with much of what you said, here are my observations on the backups that played. Our second string outplayed the Steelers just as our first string did. I will try to write up comments on the offense and special teams later, but for now,

Defense:
The second string defense included Iwebema, Watson, Hobson, Togafau, Highsmith, Francisco, Adams, Ralph Brown and Ware. Campbell and Haggans also stayed on the field with this group. ( I believe they are missing Dykes as a #2 D-Lineman) Keyes, Lewis and Berry were in depending on the package. I saw more 4-3 than with the first team.

Adams: was beat on a 45 yd pass, defended a couple others well and was beat again later. He also made several aggressive tackles near the line. There are positives and negatives there.

Togafau: Played consistently. I think he is holding on to his #2 position at ILB so far.

Hobson: He was playing at OLB primarily and I thought he was fairly solid. At ILB he would be competing with Togafau and Highsmith for a #2 job, at OLB I believe he competes with the rookies Brown and Davis. I expect him to keep one of these spots.

Watson: I didn’t see much out of Gabe during the game. Like Branch later, he was frequently double teamed. No complaints.

Branch: I actually thought his play was decent.

Keyes, Dowling and Fontenot did not demonstrate anything that moves them up the depth chart in my eyes.

Francisco and Lewis appeared about even to me. I did not see any mistakes by either, Lewis almost (should have) had a pick and put good pressure on the QB once during a blitz. Lewis also made a nice tackle. These two may be competing for one spot on the roster as the #2 Strong Safety and on Special Teams.

Brown and Davis: I saw some potential from both rookies. I thought Davis brought the most pressure but he also was flagged for a hold on a return.

Toler: He defended one pass nicely but was out of position on another. (a better average than I saw in camp) Time and learning will tell. I think we keep him for the potential but it could be at the expense of Adams or Ralph Brown. If we keep 5 CBs, then I expect only four safeties can be kept which means you choose only two out of Rashad Johnson, Ware, Francisco and Lewis.

Rashad Johnson: He made a very nice tackle across the middle. He seemed to be in position and the reports of his instincts seem accurate. I like him. He will see a lot of action on Special Teams and could push Ware as the backup to Rolle.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Thx 4 your oberservations Mitch!!!

The biggest question I have going into the season is how we are going to sack and get pressure on the QB without having to blitz too much. As good as our secondary can be blitzing exposes weaknesses in defenses and asks alot of the DB's. The old saying is "you live by the blitz and die by the blitz". If I were Wiz next week I'm inserting Brown and Davis into the starting lineup for at least 1 series to find out if they will be able to help in that department this season. Put them in a situation to just rush the passer and say "go get em". The reason I say this is because chances are they will not in preseason game 3 because its dress rehearsal and game 4 starters aren't likely to play. Put #52 & #59 in Wiz and roll the dice!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
That may be true, but it was a bad decision regardless.

I don't think there was a decision on that play...the way BSP turned and threw the ball immediately it looked like a rehearsed, throw the ball to the spot play. A timing play, where the Cardinals weren't expecting tight backside coverage.

With how fast BSP turned and made the throw there's no way he could have read the play first (because there is no way he could have seen the backside flat). On timing plays that's the gamble teams take.

I ran a play like that once when I coached, because I saw it was wide open all day. I even used a timeout to get it completely set with the QB, RB and backside WR. My QB did exactly what I wanted him to...but my WR slipped and the ball went straight to the CB who easily ntercepted the ball. The QB looked foolish, but it wasn't his fault...it ultimately was mine for taking that risk.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Mitch, I think the original prognosis was 4 weeks, but he was given 4-6 to be safe. That means the 49ers game would be at the five week mark, the Jaguars game with be at the six week mark. Elton Brown can easily play backup to Gandy in that time. There were times Vallejo was not activated for games last year because of other injuries to the team and Elton Brown would have been Gandy's only backup anyway. I think this is going to work out alright.

Thanks, cardfan. This would be great, IMO.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah the problem BSP had was he held the ball too long, which is what Gruden eventually said too, he has to get rid of the ball faster.

On the pick sure it wasn't a great route by Urban but without knowing precisely what route it was supposed to be its hard for me to put much blame on him? It looked to me like the CB just baited BSP into throwing it and then picked it, given where the DB was the ball either had to be thrown to the outside(it wasn't) or Urban had to be coming back hard to keep in front of the CB(he wasn't).

Camshaft

Registered
Reaction score
Wright is staying since we already paid him $300,000. Bidwills don't like throwing money away unless the player is a complete waste like Buster Davis. What's Buster doing these days? Also, Wright has enough gitty up along with plenty of experience and smarts.

At this point in time if Howling, L long and Garvin are cut, Howling is the only one that might stay on our P squad for any length of time. L Long and Garvin will be on some other team's roster (ex: Chiefs).

If Garvin continues to let Warner and company start on the 30 - 45 yd line, he has improved an aspect of the game, not just a position. This aspect is worth more than any 4th, 5th or 6th WR position.

Pope may be cut (long shot possibility) because of cap implications.

I agree with Mitch about Levi Jones. Why haven't we moved on him. What's the problem?

LittleDavis

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Mitch...I always enjoy your thorough analysis. The only problem, for me, is that you are often very subjective. I love the Cardinals and enjoy the position battles. That said, I try to be very objective in my player analysis.

1. Branch had a good push and seemed to hustle to the ball...major strides. What technique problems did you see?

2. BSP was plain awful. I will reserve judgment until after this week. Palko was in a worse situation and made the most of it.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Mitch I agree with much of what you said, here are my observations on the backups that played. Our second string outplayed the Steelers just as our first string did. I will try to write up comments on the offense and special teams later, but for now,

Defense:
The second string defense included Iwebema, Watson, Hobson, Togafau, Highsmith, Francisco, Adams, Ralph Brown and Ware. Campbell and Haggans also stayed on the field with this group. ( I believe they are missing Dykes as a #2 D-Lineman) Keyes, Lewis and Berry were in depending on the package. I saw more 4-3 than with the first team.

Adams: was beat on a 45 yd pass, defended a couple others well and was beat again later. He also made several aggressive tackles near the line. There are positives and negatives there.

Togafau: Played consistently. I think he is holding on to his #2 position at ILB so far.

Hobson: He was playing at OLB primarily and I thought he was fairly solid. At ILB he would be competing with Togafau and Highsmith for a #2 job, at OLB I believe he competes with the rookies Brown and Davis. I expect him to keep one of these spots.

Watson: I didn’t see much out of Gabe during the game. Like Branch later, he was frequently double teamed. No complaints.

Branch: I actually thought his play was decent.

Keyes, Dowling and Fontenot did not demonstrate anything that moves them up the depth chart in my eyes.

Francisco and Lewis appeared about even to me. I did not see any mistakes by either, Lewis almost (should have) had a pick and put good pressure on the QB once during a blitz. Lewis also made a nice tackle. These two may be competing for one spot on the roster as the #2 Strong Safety and on Special Teams.

Brown and Davis: I saw some potential from both rookies. I thought Davis brought the most pressure but he also was flagged for a hold on a return.

Toler: He defended one pass nicely but was out of position on another. (a better average than I saw in camp) Time and learning will tell. I think we keep him for the potential but it could be at the expense of Adams or Ralph Brown. If we keep 5 CBs, then I expect only four safeties can be kept which means you choose only two out of Rashad Johnson, Ware, Francisco and Lewis.

Rashad Johnson: He made a very nice tackle across the middle. He seemed to be in position and the reports of his instincts seem accurate. I like him. He will see a lot of action on Special Teams and could push Ware as the backup to Rolle.

Very good notes, Dan. I completely agree with most of them, and I think it would be great for the Cardinals if, in particular, Hobson and Branch can be solid contributors.

As I said, I think Togafau gets the most out of his ability, but I am having a hard time convincing myself that he could hold up as a starter at SILB if Hayes was out. I am concerned about Hobson there as well. I really liked Beisel and felt comfortable with him in there at either ILB spot.

To me, Adams stands out...he stood out on STs in the playoffs and in the Super Bowl and in this game, even though he got beat deep on that one play (which he is supposed to have safety help on), he stepped up and made some crisp tackles. I love this kid's aggressiveness and for a team that has suffered from shabby tackling, this kid finishes plays off with a bang.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Mitch...I always enjoy your thorough analysis. The only problem, for me, is that you are often very subjective. I love the Cardinals and enjoy the position battles. That said, I try to be very objective in my player analysis.

1. Branch had a good push and seemed to hustle to the ball...major strides. What technique problems did you see?

2. BSP was plain awful. I will reserve judgment until after this week. Palko was in a worse situation and made the most of it.

I agree to disagree, Little Davis. I don't find calling BSP's performance "plain awful" being objective because as the head coach said himself, "he didn't get much help out there."

I expected a lot more from Branch especially versus a rookie center. This is his third year now, following a year where he was relegated to the sidelines for lackluster play. If this was his rookie debut I'd be more inclined to feel hopeful. But, if he plays big this week, I will have him back on the roster.

But, I do respect your opinions and always have. As for opinions being objective there is a fine line there, isn't there?

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
I would like to see Levi Jones brought in as well. The two problems are he probably wants a shot at starting and wants to be paid like a starter. That's not going to happen although Whiz could promise him a shot at starting, if he did it with BSP he could do it with anyone, but LJ wouldn't get paid like starter unless there were some major incentives he met.

Mitch, i'll give you credit.Your loyalty to BSP is unrelenting, even blinding, because, to me, he's about the same as having John Navarre as the #3. Paying him a million bucks is a waste of money and a roster spot. That money could probably used to help sign a currently un-employed LT who once attended ASU. Even you would have to admit that if the Cards could get Jones in camp for the mill they are giving BSP,plus incentives, that they would be a much deepr, better football team than they are right now.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Yeah the problem BSP had was he held the ball too long, which is what Gruden eventually said too, he has to get rid of the ball faster.

On the pick sure it wasn't a great route by Urban but without knowing precisely what route it was supposed to be its hard for me to put much blame on him? It looked to me like the CB just baited BSP into throwing it and then picked it, given where the DB was the ball either had to be thrown to the outside(it wasn't) or Urban had to be coming back hard to keep in front of the CB(he wasn't).

Good post, Russ. The irony is that BSP is getting bashed for the one play he didn't hold on to the ball too long. The thing is...that play is for a deep threat like Breaston, not for Urban...and the risk/reward on a play like that is hardly well worth it anyway.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Good post, Russ. The irony is that BSP is getting bashed for the one play he didn't hold on to the ball too long. The thing is...that play is for a deep threat like Breaston, not for Urban...and the risk/reward on a play like that is hardly well worth it anyway.

he's not getting bashed for one play.He's getting bashed because he looked so incredibly bad out there.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Mitch, great read as always. And I agree with you about Togafau. Seems to play hard, but is just not big enough or good enough. As for the O-Line, I watched the game and then also watched a tape of the game. I thought that #67, Johnson, played the best of all our draft choices. You didn't mention him. Was it because you didn't like his play? Can Vallejo be put on the PUP list and brought in after the sixth game? Reserve LT looks like a big need.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05