Ready for George Karl?

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of Frank Johnson's. I definitely did not like Scott Skiles. Danny Ainge's substitutions/lineup's drove me nuts. The Suns have made poor decisions on coaches for a while now, but if BC was going to get fired there are two names I haven't even mentioned yet that would justify it. They are Penny Hardaway and Tom Gugliotta. The coaching choices probably wouldn't even play a whole lot into the decision.

Bryan Colangelo is not going to get fired though. I don't think he should be. I don't pretend to know who should be coaching this basketball team. I just know Frank Johnson is not getting the job done.

Joe Mama

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Errntknght
It's too bad BC is familly... picking Skiles then FJ as the head coach would get him fired anyplace he was evaluated on his performance. Of course, he'd never have gotten the job in the first place.
Is there anyone on this board who thinks that Bryan calls the shots? Jerry makes the decisions, then Bryan does the legwork.

On every major move the Suns have made since Bryan "bumped" Jerry upwards, who did we see holding the Press conference? Jerry, not Bryan.

It's at times like this it is the most excruciating to be a Suns fan... you have to just sit there and wait, knowing management is going to continue their tradition of picking useless head coaches. I guess our only hope is that the league will someday realize that the Colangelo's are screwing up an otherwise nice franchise and step in and give them a list of three coaches they have to pick among.
A novel idea . . . but the winner would still have to wrestle a fair amount of control away from Jerry. And that's not going to happen while he's still with the organization.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
i think colangelo has short patience. he took a step back and tried to build this team from the youth and it looks good on paper, but he wants results. i for one am not sure how much "wonders" a new coach could do for this team. some stuff they need to work out. shooting, making heads up plays, and playing together, are things that need to happen. a coach doesn't put the ball in the hoop, he offers the directions to. these guys get payed to play ball, time to show it.

as far as bringing the team together, which is all it could take, frank hasn't seemed to do that very well. we have a lot of guys that want the ball, but then don't know what to do with it or when to give it up.

i think some things will clear up. our talent is good, but it's not going to mean anything unless we play together and hit shots.

let get it together suns!!!!!

:cool:

creed

Veteran
Reaction score
This was posted by a Bucks fan on another board....kinda interesting

"Bucks fan here.
I liked George Karl when he was in Milwaukee. It was time for a change and I'm glad changes were made within our organization, but GK was instrumental in the building of the Bucks and putting us back on the map. The Bucks were years removed from the playoffs and GK took us back his first year here and did so 4 of his 5 seasons in Milwaukee, including 1 game from the Finals in 00-01. The guy was worshiped during this time and overall he led the Bucks to the 3rd best record in the East in his 5 years here.
What brought Karl down was his outrageous contract, the World Games, and player relationship. After 2001 he seemed to have power struggles with "The Big Three" that lead to his demise and "The Big Three's" as well. I don't know how he would handle a guy like Marbury? But everybody knows his relationship with Ray Allen.
Also, the end of his tenture got ugly since our most talented team in 02-03 didn't even make the playoffs, moreless go to the Finals like were supposed to. I should note that we were in first place in February, it was a brutal collapse w/him going public with alot of problems (didnt go well with the "stars"). He then had that World Games debacle and his final season we didn't improve much, even after acquiring GP. Obviously he lost his players/much fan support and ultimately the Bucks realized it was time for a change.
That said, I think Karl is a great coach especially in his first few years with a team. He might be exactly what Phoenix needs. I don't know the situation in Phoenix, but if you go looking for a different coach I believe George Karl would be a great option. The guy wins, that is for sure (No Ring However). Unfortunately he seems to eventually wear out his welcome (i.e. Seattle & Milwaukee)."