Ric Bucher: Amare wants max, Suns say no

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh come on man, you know what he meant. I am sure you can find a few bigs who can shoot better (Galinari, Dirk, Channing Fry, etc) but the point is that Amare has an outstanding jumper for a big guy. "Occasional jumper" is simply not a fair statement.

Just asking a question. Troy Murphy?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You speak the truth. Amare is not a leader nor a player for the Suns to build around. If only Amare acted like a team leader on the court rather than talk-the-talk in the locker room. Nash is the team leader based upon what he does on the court. That said, no one on the Suns is untouchable for value in return, even Nash. Sadly the Suns are on the way down. If Nash wanted to leave, I would do everything I could to accommodate him going to a better situation.

Some of what your saying is true. However, Nash is not much of a leader on the court defensively. Yes, I know he makes guys around him better OFFENSIVELY but as stated so many times Nash is a huge detriment to defense. This team can't build around Nash either. He is too old and too much of a liability on the defensive end. Nash has never had a reputation for being vocal and he isn't a leader on the defensive end.

I think Paul Coro's article today says it all:

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2010/01/27/20100127suns-stoudemire.html

Nash often is brilliant offensively
, although the burden of being the team's only playmaker is draining.In crunch time of Tuesday's loss to Charlotte, seven consecutive possessions ended in his hands, with more failure than success. He is committing more turnovers than ever and deep team-defense problems start at the top with him.

I have been saying this very same thing for the past 2 seasons. Nash's turnovers hurt this team as much as his assists help. He is basically canceling himself out in many games.

If you are going to trade away Amare and get very little back in return, it doesn't make your team a contender. So why keep Nash? To sell tickets? It can't be for that because I have been to 5 games recently and the arena is half empty.

As much as I agree with Amare not being much of a leader, I still say he is easier to build around then a aging PG who plays no defense.

Problem is Amare is not a max player IMO and will probably demand that kind of money which means he is gone. Just saying that Nash needs to go equally as bad and that will be especially true if Amare goes.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some of what your saying is true. However, Nash is not much of a leader on the court defensively. Yes, I know he makes guys around him better OFFENSIVELY but as stated so many times Nash is a huge detriment to defense. This team can't build around Nash either. He is too old and too much of a liability on the defensive end. Nash has never had a reputation for being vocal and he isn't a leader on the defensive end.

I think Paul Coro's article today says it all:

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2010/01/27/20100127suns-stoudemire.html

Nash often is brilliant offensively
, although the burden of being the team's only playmaker is draining.In crunch time of Tuesday's loss to Charlotte, seven consecutive possessions ended in his hands, with more failure than success. He is committing more turnovers than ever and deep team-defense problems start at the top with him.

I have been saying this very same thing for the past 2 seasons. Nash's turnovers hurt this team as much as his assists help. He is basically canceling himself out in many games.

If you are going to trade away Amare and get very little back in return, it doesn't make your team a contender. So why keep Nash? To sell tickets? It can't be for that because I have been to 5 games recently and the arena is half empty.

As much as I agree with Amare not being much of a leader, I still say he is easier to build around then a aging PG who plays no defense.

Problem is Amare is not a max player IMO and will probably demand that kind of money which means he is gone. Just saying that Nash needs to go equally as bad and that will be especially true if Amare goes.

I'm no longer locked on to keeping Nash because I think he should be able to finish his career on a better team or a place where he wants to go. I said so in my earlier post. The Suns appear ready to crash and burn. They just do not have the horses on the frontline.

However, Nash is the team leader. If not, tell me who is the team leader? The Suns certainly do not rally around Amare. Amare might have been a player to build a franchise around if he had not suffered injury and seemingly turned indifferent in his play. I don't think keeping Amare would change his attitude. Top NBA stars bring it every night. If Nash does not spoon feed Amare he is ineffective. Amare now seems to be caught up in his ego where he thinks he is one of the top four NBA players. To make it clear, the Suns are not going anywhere which is stating the obvious unless they somehow get a nice trade package for Amare or even Nash.

As I view it Gentry needs another PG playing beside Nash down the stretch of games to take the pressure off him which leads to turnovers. I think Dragic needs to be on the floor with Nash at crunch time for this reason. I think Gentry is making a serious mistake by not doing so. I think Amare is more easily replaced than Nash.

Last edited:

SteveJoke

Reaction score
Totally agree.
Nash doesn't play defence and never play tough. And he needs space in offense side due to his poor body. He is just not a credible leader because of his weak heart and poor body.

SteveJoke

Reaction score
Where was Nash when Amare was the rookie MVP?
Yes Nash can make the 2M player like Channing Frye to play more efficient, however, the 10M player like Richardson and Joe Johnson will never be a 10M player with Nash. Nash can only help the role player like Channing frye and Raja Bell, can he help Shaq or Richardson? Actually I don't think Nash helped Amare Stoudemire, Nash just made bad impact on him.

if amare goes else where without nash, he might be a david west clone, maybe even less? that's saying something.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Good post, you know that i agree with you on this. If i had to make a choice between the two i'd rather keep Amare and put some defensive pieces around him including Dragic,Barbosa,Dudley,Clark and maybe Lopez(god i can't believe i said that).
Problem is i don't want to pay him MAX $$ either....he's a one-dimensional player who has reached his ceiling IMO.

Nash makes players around him better offensive players,we know this.

If the SUNS want to continue down the path of fun n gun then by all means, they should trade Amare and try to find another dynamic scoring big man(one who can maybe rebound and play a little defense) to reap the benefits of Nash.....but if they want to truly get younger and go in a different direction then Nash must go too(which is my choice).

Dragic will be ready to start and run an NBA team next season anyway IMO.....hopefully it's here.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Yes Nash can make the 2M player like Channing Frye to play more efficient, however, the 10M player like Richardson and Joe Johnson will never be a 10M player with Nash. Nash can only help the role player like Channing frye and Raja Bell, can he help Shaq or Richardson? Actually I don't think Nash helped Amare Stoudemire, Nash just made bad impact on him.

Nash=2 MVP's
Amare=0 MVP's

Amare Stoudemire is as dumb as a brick wall. No one has made a bad impact on him, especially not Nash who fed him pick n roll easy layups for a long time.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

In Dallas.
Amare B4 Nash

Last edited:

SteveJoke

Reaction score
As I said, Nash can make the role players to be more efficient, so he was the MVP.
According to the recent trade rumors, could you tell me why all NBA managers want Amare? Are you smart than all of them?
Nash can never make the star player like Joe Jothson, Shaq and Richardson better, can you tell me why?

Nash=2 MVP's
Amare=0 MVP's

Amare Stoudemire is as dumb as a brick wall. No one has made a bad impact on him, especially not Nash who fed him pick n roll easy layups for a long time.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Nash can never make the star player like Joe Jothson, Shaq and Richardson better, can you tell me why?

That might be the first original thought that's been posted on this forum all year.

chickenhead

Reaction score
Was listening to Knicks talk radio here and someone close to the organization felt that though the Knicks seem to be missing a lot of pieces what they are really missing is a PG to be a contender now (I can't believe the word "contender" was used, I have to imagine it means playoff contender or a threat to make the semis or something). But there's no way Nash is moved unless Amare is also moved. Not necessarily to the same team, of course.

SteveJoke

Reaction score
If I was Sarver, I would stay Shaq and trade Nash, unfortunetly, to Sarver, it seems more important to sell the tickets then win the games.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05