Roethlisberger Injured in Motorcycle Accident

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Roethlisberger injured in motorcycle accident
You must be registered for see images

NFL.com wire reports PITTSBURGH (June 12, 2006) -- Steelers star Ben Roethlisberger, the youngest quarterback to lead a team to the Super Bowl championship, broke his jaw and nose in a motorcycle crash in which he was not wearing a helmet.
Roethlisberger was in serious but stable condition later in the afternoon, Dr. Larry Jones, chief of trauma at Mercy Hospital said before surgery.
Ben Roethlisberger has reveled in his rebellious, motorcycle image. The player's agent, Leigh Steinberg, described the injuries to The Associated Press and said he did not know if there was further damage.
"He was talking to me before he left for the operating room," Jones said. "He's coherent. He's making sense. He knows what happened. He knows where he is. From that standpoint, he's very stable."
Roethlisberger's mother, Brenda, was crying as she arrived at the hospital.
Steelers president Art Rooney II said the team was "encouraged by the early reports from the medical team" at the hospital. "I am sure Ben knows that we are praying for his complete recovery."
The 24-year-old Roethlisberger was without a helmet, police said. He has said he likes to ride without one, a habit that once prompted a lecture from Pittsburgh coach Bill Cowher.
Roethlisberger was on his black 2005 Suzuki Hayabusa -- the company calls it the world's fastest bike for legal street riding -- and headed toward an intersection on the edge of downtown. A silver Chrysler New Yorker traveling in the opposite direction took a left turn and collided with the motorcycle, and Roethlisberger was thrown, police said.
The other car was driven by a 62-year-old woman, police said. They didn't immediately release her name and no charges were filed.
Witness Sandra Ford was waiting at a bus stop when she said she saw the motorcycle approach. Seconds later, she said she heard a crash, saw the motorcyclist in the air and ran toward the crash scene.
"He wasn't moving and I was afraid that he had died. ... He wasn't really speaking. He seemed dazed but he was resisting the effort to make him stay down," said Ford, who didn't realize the motorcyclist was Roethlisberger.
Police spokesman Lt. Kevin Kraus said police and homicide units were leading the investigation, a standard practice when there is an accident with critical injuries.
In only his second year in the NFL, Roethlisberger helped guide the Steelers to the Super Bowl title in February at age 23. Training camp for next season begins at the end of July.
Several teammates, including backup quarterback Charlie Batch, linebacker Joey Porter and safety Mike Logan, arrived at the hospital emergency room but did not comment.
Some fans also gathered at the hospital, including Juanita Clark, who sells Steelers paraphernalia.
"I just feel like he's a family member," said her daughter, Loretta Clark.
Roethlisberger has said in the past that he prefers not to wear a helmet when riding his motorcycle. He has pointed out Pennsylvania's state law requiring helmets to be worn was repealed in September 2003.
In May 2005, Cowher warned him about safe riding after Cleveland tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. was injured in a motorcycle accident. Winslow tore knee ligaments and was lost for the season.
"He talked about being a risk-taker and I'm not really a risk-taker. I'm pretty conservative and laid back, but the big thing is to just be careful," Roethlisberger said at the time. "I'll just continue to be careful. I told him we don't ever ride alone, we always ride in a group of people, and I think it makes it even more safe."
Roethlisberger continued to ride after Winslow's accident and that angered Terry Bradshaw, who quarterbacked the Steelers to four Super Bowl victories during the 1970s.
Visiting the Steelers' training camp last summer, Bradshaw remarked: "Ride it when you retire."

per nfl.com

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
WhoDeyForever said:
:D I hope his career is over. Little Ben is a jackass and should never be allowed and hopefully not be able to play football again

Well that's a pretty horrible thing to say...especially when your QB is trying to recover from serious knee surgery.

Avondale_Larry

Registered
Reaction score
I hope the kid is okay. I made some pretty stupid decisions when I was his age. I hope he isn't permanently injured.

On the other hand, it wouldn't break my heart at all if he never returns to his former form. I watched the classless fans on the Steelers board after Palmer was hurt last year. And I've sat through all the Steeler visits to SDS to hate their fan base.

I hope all 12 of them that get tickets to the preseason game enjoy watching Charlie Batch get sacked by our first team a few times.

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
WhoDeyForever said:
:D I hope his career is over. Little Ben is a jackass and should never be allowed and hopefully not be able to play football again

The team kicked your arse. Get over it, stating what you said is *******. You like when people say they hope Palmer is hurt beyond repair.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
WhoDeyForever said:

Grow up

Billy Flynt

Pirate, 300 yrs too late
Reaction score
Cbus cardsfan said:
Stupidest law in the country: we're required to wear safety belts in a car but not required to wear helmets on a motorcyclye. Please explain that logic to me.

What's worse is that as of age 14 in PA, you don't have to wear a helmet...

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Seems like a hockey injury to me.

Broken jaw, bell rung, chipped teeth.

It keeps a hockey player out for a couple of weeks...

football players ??? Who knows...

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Crazy Canuck said:
Seems like a hockey injury to me.

Broken jaw, bell rung, chipped teeth.

It keeps a hockey player out for a couple of weeks...

football players ??? Who knows...

If it takes a hockey player a few weeks, Roethlisberger should be back on his bike by the weekend

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
If it takes a hockey player a few weeks, Roethlisberger should be back on his bike by the weekend

Buddy... I was being kind...

Hockey players get sliced up and hardly miss a shift.

Don't compare toughness... there is no comparison...

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Crazy Canuck said:
Don't compare toughness... there is no comparison...

I've played both Hockey and Football..... and you're right football takes a tougher breed of man

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
I've played both Hockey and Football..... and you're right football takes a tougher breed of man

If you believe that... you didn't play any hockey worth mentioning.

I've seen guys drop chicklets and not miss a shift, no football player would be back...

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Crazy Canuck said:
I've seen guys drop chicklets and not miss a shift, no football player would be back...

I'm scrolling down the ESPN roster pages of the NHL, very few guys over 200 lbs, even fewer guys over 6 feet tall. I'm sorry but they aren't going to lay the same hit as some of the NFL guys. Most of the guys are sissies in the mold of Paul Kariya

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
I'm scrolling down the ESPN roster pages of the NHL, very few guys over 200 lbs, even fewer guys over 6 feet tall. I'm sorry but they aren't going to lay the same hit as some of the NFL guys. Most of the guys are sissies in the mold of Paul Kariya

Hey... every NHL team averages over 6 ft tall and over 200 lbs... and elementary physics would tell you that guys who skate faster than the fastest sprinter in the history of foot race, banging into to each other - have a more concussive affect.

Yor last sentence shows that you don't know what the F**k you're talking about.

(I guess, you believe that a heavier bat makes a baseball go further)

P.S. I saw that wuss Kariya get knocked cold in a playoff game. They woke him up and he was back before then end of the period. If it had been footbal, the players would have been holding hands praying for his safe keeping, and there would have been weeks of speculation as to when he'd be back.

Last edited:

BirdMan21

Ex-Ex-AP Hype Man
Reaction score
Not to jump in the middle of an argument.....but there are plenty of instinces of NFL players showing a whole lot of toughness on the field. And unless you have been hit by players that big and that fast, you have NO idea what it feels like. Three of the guys I played with in HS are currently playing in the NFL or D1 football. And I have never been hit so hard in my whole life as I was by those guys.

As far as a tough story....I doubt you will ever find a story much tougher than Ronnie Lott back in 1985 when he broke his pinky finger and instead of going through surgery to have it fixed and possibly miss some time playing, decided he would rather have part of it amputated. In my book thats pretty tough, but maybe I judge way to easily.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
BirdMan21 said:
Not to jump in the middle of an argument.....but there are plenty of instinces of NFL players showing a whole lot of toughness on the field. And unless you have been hit by players that big and that fast, you have NO idea what it feels like. Three of the guys I played with in HS are currently playing in the NFL or D1 football. And I have never been hit so hard in my whole life as I was by those guys.

As far as a tough story....I doubt you will ever find a story much tougher than Ronnie Lott back in 1985 when he broke his pinky finger and instead of going through surgery to have it fixed and possibly miss some time playing, decided he would rather have part of it amputated. In my book thats pretty tough, but maybe I judge way to easily.

Nobody doubts the toughness of some NFL players, but I saw a guy in Chicago slit with a skate from chin to nose, over 120 stiches and was back in the lineup a day later. And there is no football player going full tilt who can hit harder than a hockey player traveling at 25 to 30 miles an hour, it's - given the laws of physics - impossible.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Wow, wonder if he'll be ok for the season,
Most teams have the season go OUT the window.. not THROUGH it.

ThunderCard

Reaction score
BirdMan21 said:

Ronnie Lot was a pretty tough cookie and both sports are just as violent ie hockey and football. Did anyone see the special on Ronnie Lot ? When I first heard about this I though WOW he would rather not have a finger then to play in this game. Then on a Monday night game a while back he showed the finger and it was only missing VERY VERY little. If anyone should get props for playing it should be Anthony Munoz. With so many broken fingers he just kept going and now look at his fingers. He has two fingers that are just damaged beyond belief. His entire right hand is so screwed that he can't hold on to anything longer than a few minutes due to nerve damage

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
History will tell you who is more tough... American or Canadian

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
ThunderCard said:
Ronnie Lot was a pretty tough cookie and both sports are just as violent ie hockey and football. Did anyone see the special on Ronnie Lot ? When I first heard about this I though WOW he would rather not have a finger then to play in this game. Then on a Monday night game a while back he showed the finger and it was only missing VERY VERY little. If anyone should get props for playing it should be Anthony Munoz. With so many broken fingers he just kept going and now look at his fingers. He has two fingers that are just damaged beyond belief. His entire right hand is so screwed that he can't hold on to anything longer than a few minutes due to nerve damage

Thanks... which was my point.

There are codes about dealing with injury in both sports, and, in the case of hockey - losing teeth or getting cut is not an acceptable reason to miss time, and I mean any time - other than what it takes to get freezing or zippered.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
History will tell you who is more tough... American or Canadian

What the hell does that mean?

History! another thing you no doubt know little of...

(for some reason "computer tough guy" I'm fairly certain that a female midget hockey player could chase you out of a rink)

Last edited:

ThunderCard

Reaction score
I was reading over at the steeler board and I came across this seahawk pic. So I thought I would post it over here

Attachments

• seahawksbaby5ve.jpg
    seahawksbaby5ve.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 255

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From someone who was paralyzed 31 years ago by not wearing his seat belt, Ben is a ******** who appears to got off lucky and deserves every bad thing that comes his way.

Arrogant, shallow and selfish. I hope he recovers but he deserves the worst.

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:
From someone who was paralyzed 31 years ago by not wearing his seat belt, Ben is a ******** who appears to got off lucky and deserves every bad thing that comes his way.

Arrogant, shallow and selfish. I hope he recovers but he deserves the worst.

Like Skorp said life can turn on a dime, be appreciative about what we wake up with and be thankful we get to go to bed with it. Nobody is Superman and tommorow your world can change, Do not take things for granted and be thankful for the things you were able to do to this day. I hope people learn from this thread to wear a helmet and buckle your safety belt. Lifes bigger then an NFL game, any day we could be on the otherside of the coin,

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Forgive me for not reading all the posts here (I am on vacation) but you need to wear a freaking helmet if you are riding a bike. I wear a seat belt in my car so common sense says wear a freaking helmet!