Salmons heading to Suns???????

fordronken

Reaction score
http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/100-07122006-682587.html

By TOM MOORE
phillyBurbs.com

PHILADELPHIA — The 76ers are on the verge of making a trade.

No, not that trade.

As soon as today, the Sixers are expected to send restricted free agent John Salmons, who didn't figure into their future plans, to the Suns for a second-round pick and a $1.8 million trade exception that they'd have one year to use.

Salmons, a Plymouth Whitemarsh High graduate who earned $1.67 million in 2005-06, will end up with a five-year, $22 million contract out of the deal, starting at $3.6 million and increasing annually by 10 percent, according to a source close to the situation.

Salmons, a 6-foot-7 combination guard, averaged career-highs in points (7.5), assists (2.7), rebounds (2.7) and minutes (25.1) in playing all 82 games as a fourth-year pro.

Phoenix reached the Western Conference finals last season.

As for the Allen Iverson sweepstakes, team president Billy King continues working the phones. It could take three or four teams to complete this blockbuster.

Among the available players King doesn't appear interested in are the Celtics' Wally Szczerbiak and ex-Sixer Theo Ratliff, who is eligible to be traded Aug. 28, as well as the Nuggets' Kenyon Martin, the Warriors' Troy Murphy and the Knicks' Stephon Marbury.

One possibility could be the Nuggets, who can offer a package including any two of these three players — Andre Miller, Ruben Patterson and Marcus Camby — to make the salaries come within the required 25 percent.

In other Sixers news, restricted free agents Willie Green (five years, $17 million) and Shavlik Randolph (two years, $2 million) should be signed by Thursday, the final day of rookie/free-agent camp.

The Sixers begin competition in Utah's Rocky Mountain ***** on Friday.

Steve Castleberry, who played one year in high school at Solebury School and finished his collegiate career at Rider, is taking another shot at becoming a Sixer.

Castleberry is one of the big men at the team's rookie/free-agent camp. He will play summer league ball for their entry in the Rocky Mountain *****.

Castleberry, a 6-foot-11, 245-pounder, was one of the Sixers' final preseason cuts last October.

Since then, he has added 10 pounds via lifting weights and worked on his all-around game while playing in the Ukraine, as well as for the CBA's Sioux Falls Skyforce and the USBL's Northeastern Pennsylvania Breakers.

“It was really tough, especially because I was so close to reaching my dream — and in my hometown,” said Castleberry, 25. “When I got released, I just knew there were things I needed to work on. I set off right away to start working on everything I think I needed to do. Now, it's just applying it and being a better player. I think I am.”

Castleberry is a blue-collar banger with a decent shooting touch. Head coach Maurice Cheeks has said he likes how hard Castleberry plays.

“It felt great that they thought I had enough ability to come back a second time,” Castleberry said. “It makes it a lot better to know the coach is behind you. I feel good that this might be my year.”

Free agent Tayron Thomas tore his right lateral meniscus during Monday night's session. An MRI Tuesday confirmed the injury.

Thomas, a Bristol native who is the leading scorer in Philadelphia University history with 2,414 points, will undergo surgery soon.

Tank

Wifi Guru
Reaction score
I like the deal. 5/22 maybe too much, but if that it what it took to make sure we got him and not Toronto, then I don't think it is that bad. I think he will be a good player in this system.

cly2tw

Reaction score
Is that another Raja what the managment see in Salmons?

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
cly2tw said:
Is that another Raja what the managment see in Salmons?

Hope so. I see him being able to play well in the Suns system. Raja turned into a clutch shooter and his toughness made the suns who they were this year.

Salmons will get plenty of mins to prove himself, he wil have plenty of open shots with the Suns and I think it's a good pickup.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think that it is a good signing, especially since we gave nothing up but the exception (why is it being halved?) and a late second-rounder. The only way this turns bad is if a better player is available at this price (is there?) or if that second-rounder turns out better than Salmons (doubtful, nigh improbable). Leandro may be gone after this season, but at least we'll have more "players" to judge.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
I think it is a good pickup. We appears we are not giving up much to aquire him.

Salmons has been a talented if unspectacular player so far. The contract is not unreasonable or over paying IMO.

Even if it doesn't work out I don't think he will be difficult to move with that contract.

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
For any of you who are disappointed about this deal:

"You will regret the day you boo this young man."

newfan101

Registered
Reaction score
ArizonaSportsFan said:
I think that it is a good signing, especially since we gave nothing up but the exception and a late second-rounder.

Unfortunately, you're forgetting about the 1st round pick we will most certainly be giving away a year or two from now to unload his contract.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, seems like a lot, but this team has been unwilling to pay a lot to players (ie Tim Thomas) so they must see something in him. They do have a knack for finding players that will work in their system.

Amare32

STAT man
Reaction score
newfan101 said:
Unfortunately, you're forgetting about the 1st round pick we will most certainly be giving away a year or two from now to unload his contract.

Why would we unload his contract? he is pretty cheap for a guy who fills quite a few needs. Salmons won't be hard to trade If we need to.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
newfan101 said:

:rolleyes:

How many times has this happened?

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
Well, I hate to make a move just to make a move - But finally something to chew on. I have never watched Salmons play, but then again, I don't remember watching Raja Bell play for the Jazz (only when he was a 76er). As far as money - I agree with SirChaz, that contract is not to hard to part with if another team is in need of backcourt presence. And let's be honest, he stats will be higher playing in D'Antoni's offense, so he will look attractive if we need to move him down the road.

Question, is it too late to see him play in the Vegas League? Could we have this deal done this morning and him onto a plane to Neveda to clear a physical? I would like to see him play some with Amare.

The one big positive is his size. I love that size in the backcourt. I get tired of watching a Sam Cassell or another post our guys up and start backing them down... I get tired of it because to me it is the ugliest offensive strategy in basketball, and if the offensive player knows what he is doing - very hard to defend when the defender is significantly shorter.

Amare32

STAT man
Reaction score
TucsonDevil said:
Question, is it too late to see him play in the Vegas League? Could we have this deal done this morning and him onto a plane to Neveda to clear a physical? I would like to see him play some with Amare.

You don't pay a guy 22 million and make him play in the freaking summer league. Thats for rookies and guys who want to make an NBA roster. Not counting Amare as he is only playing to get in game shape.

Salmons played in the summer league 2 or 3 years ago and dominated.

TucsonDevil

Good to be back!
Reaction score
Amare32 said:
You don't pay a guy 22 million and make him play in the freaking summer league. Thats for rookies and guys who want to make an NBA roster. Not counting Amare as he is only playing to get in game shape.

Wow, the hate! My apologies sir Amare32. We had Boris play in the Summer league last year to get in some early work, and I believe LB did as well. I would like to see Salmons get a shot to play a few games with Amare early on. I'm not looking for him to prove himself.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
TucsonDevil said:
Wow, the hate! My apologies sir Amare32. We had Boris play in the Summer league last year to get in some early work, and I believe LB did as well. I would like to see Salmons get a shot to play a few games with Amare early on. I'm not looking for him to prove himself.

Not to mention Ron Artest... Wasn't he in the summer league?

dcsunsfan

Reaction score
Amare32 said:
Thomas got 24 not 21...

I believe he was referring to the story in all the papers that Thomas made a counteroffer to the Suns of $21 million after the Clippers offered him $24 million. That was the "I want to win a championship not make money" discount.

Amare32

STAT man
Reaction score
TucsonDevil said:

Who's hating? Just stating. To pay a guy that amount you don't play him in summer league games.

Fact is Salmons played in the summer league his first 2 or 3 years in the league and dominated. Averaged something like 27 points per game. At his stage of his career seems abit pointless for him to play in the summer league thats all.

jandaman

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Salmon looks like a valuable contributor for the Suns... the difference between Tim and John, is that with Amare and Kurt back, D'Antoni will struggle to fit him enough minutes..

I think, Salmon is a keeper, since his size allows the suns to match up well with a few teams, including the Clippers, with Cassel and Livingston. I think he will thrive, as a point, behind Nash and relieving Marion, Bell as well at the 2 and 3 spots... I think the Suns know what Salmon brings in...

Tim Thomas, is a high reward player, but high risk too.. but I think it comes down to payin a guy the mle to play 10 minutes a game.. especially if the position he will be best suited at is already filled with an All-Star big man on the come back.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Salmons looks like he can defend the 2's and 3's and maybe a few of the bigger 1's, so he adds a defensive backup when Raja is not available. LB is a decent defender, but struggles with bigger 2's.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
TucsonDevil said:
We had Boris play in the Summer league last year to get in some early work, and I believe LB did as well.

Boris wasn't even on the Suns when the summer league was going on. He spent last summer playing for france. LB did play but it is not common for guys to play SL after their 3rd season unless coming back from injury or trying out for a team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05