Shaq's Turn!!

Makeplays

Rookie
Reaction score
Ok, continuing on with my vent on the Suns and their current position and their lack of execution to close teams out I now submit my critique on Shaq.

First of all. I was a big proponent of the Shaq acquisition and was ecstatic to have the Big Cactus in the valley.

1. Why o' why does he have to commit no less than two offensive fouls per game? I don't buy the "well he's just so big" excuse. Mr. Cactus clearly drives his shoulder into defenders trying to clear them out when he already has excellent low post position. This is making this top ten player of all time look like Jarrod Mustaf.

2. How much more can this guy stand around while people are battling for rebounds? He clearly takes off on a good number of defensive series. He also is clearly not fighting for position while a shot is up in the air like Sweet Lou does. Like I said, I'm the biggest Shaq fan but darn this guy is lazy!

3. Can Shaq's reflexes be any slower? Seriously, did he have a stroke? Did I miss it in the news?

Now with that being said, I know he's having a decent year but between Shaq, Nash and Amare and their evident bad habits, shows just how much control Terry Porter has. He cannot brand himself a defensive coach and continue let his key players exhibit bad habits that a basic High School coach would clearly stamp out.

PhoenixMaverick

Veteran
Reaction score
I think its because he saves his energy for that short offensive burst. And he does a pretty good job at that.

He saves his energy, unload's the beast at the rim, looks at the ref for a foul, rest again, and then repeat.

I'm sure if he was like lou (jumping like a fat kid wanting the last twinkie), he wouldn't be that explosive.

lou_skywalker

Registered
Reaction score
well he is called big cactus for a reason.
ur prb the last one realizing his disadvantages

Reaction score
I think its because he saves his energy for that short offensive burst. And he does a pretty good job at that.

He saves his energy, unload's the beast at the rim, looks at the ref for a foul, rest again, and then repeat.

I'm sure if he was like lou (jumping like a fat kid wanting the last twinkie), he wouldn't be that explosive.
Lets not make excuses for the Big Ego.

OP
OP
M

Makeplays

Rookie
Reaction score

Maybe if he took off 15-20 lbs he would be rejuvenated. Some of his jump hooks are clearly flat line drive shots showing that his legs are tired.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
1. Why o' why does he have to commit no less than two offensive fouls per game? I don't buy the "well he's just so big" excuse. Mr. Cactus clearly drives his shoulder into defenders trying to clear them out when he already has excellent low post position. This is making this top ten player of all time look like Jarrod Mustaf.

For years the refs (see league office) let Shaq get away with this. Now he is a Sun and barely an All Star and the league has decided he must follow the same rules as everybody else. Problem is Shaq is an old dog.

OP
OP
M

Makeplays

Rookie
Reaction score
For years the refs (see league office) let Shaq get away with this. Now he is a Sun and barely an All Star and the league has decided he must follow the same rules as everybody else. Problem is Shaq is an old dog.

I believe that. But something has to click in his mind and say, "Ok, I need to help my team out" and stop purposely trying to drive his shoulder into peoples chest. He's not gonna get the bucket.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Ok, continuing on with my vent on the Suns and their current position and their lack of execution to close teams out I now submit my critique on Shaq.

First of all. I was a big proponent of the Shaq acquisition and was ecstatic to have the Big Cactus in the valley.

2. How much more can this guy stand around while people are battling for rebounds? He clearly takes off on a good number of defensive series. He also is clearly not fighting for position while a shot is up in the air like Sweet Lou does. Like I said, I'm the biggest Shaq fan but darn this guy is lazy!

3. Can Shaq's reflexes be any slower? Seriously, did he have a stroke? Did I miss it in the news?

Now with that being said, I know he's having a decent year but between Shaq, Nash and Amare and their evident bad habits, shows just how much control Terry Porter has. He cannot brand himself a defensive coach and continue let his key players exhibit bad habits that a basic High School coach would clearly stamp out.

Shaq has always driven his shoulder into defenders to clear them out. He just gets called for it more now. He used to get away with it. If refs didn't let him get away with it, Lakers would probably not have all those rings. He got away with so much against Sabonis, Divac, and Pollard.

As far as other 2 points go, they are not really anything new, but they might be aplified due to a 330 lb man being 36 years old.

Shaq is fine. He has exceeded all expectations any of us had.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Maybe if he took off 15-20 lbs he would be rejuvenated. Some of his jump hooks are clearly flat line drive shots showing that his legs are tired.

Taking 15-20 pounds off when you are already in great shape considering you are 36 years old is not easy. When you are 36 years old your legs are going to be tired, regardless of how much you weight- 300 lb, 315 lb or 330 lb.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I forgot to mention- age takes it's toll on big men more so than it does on smaller players.
Anybody remembers how terrible Hakeem, Ewing and to a lesser degree Robinson were once they hit late thirties? All most of them could do was hit an open jumper, and watching Ewing once he was in Orlando or Hakeem when he was in Toronto was painful. Robinson retired before watching him became as painful.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is by far your weakest post and worst evaluation of any player. You realize how easy it is to look at any player in the NBA and point out holes in a persons game? Shaq has played pretty damn good this season and that's all that counts.

However, despite that let's look at what you said.

First off you must not have been watching Shaq most of his career. Shaq has always picked up fouls throughout his career in this manner. It never stopped Shaq from contributing to a title caliber team.

Second, Eddie Johnson said it best. When you are as big and strong as Shaq, it's magnified. He pointed out this happens several times during the course of the game by players not named Shaq and it doesn't get called because the guy doing it can't knock a player to the floor.

This is much ado about nothing.

Stupid comment. Shaq is no longer a spring chicken and can't do it for 40 minutes a game anymore. When Shaq isn't doing something it's because he is winded. Shaq is not a lazy player. Shaq is 9th best in the NBA at the Center position from a rebounding perspective. That is pretty damn good for "lazy player" of his age.

It kills me how often fans call player "lazy" or they "lack effort". Sometimes players just can't do things. I am not on the Amare is lazy bandwagon either. I think Amare lacks focus, discipline and basketball IQ (ie. needed skills) which contribute to his disappearance on the boards and the defensive end. That doesn't describe Shaq IMO.

If I had to label any players lazy......Coleman was lazy...Diaw was lazy...but Shaq??? The medical staff says he works his butt off during practice and when conditioning.

Again, not a spring chicken. Again, what kind of reflexes did you expect from Shaq at this stage of his career? The guy is a hulk in NBA standards. Having said that Shaq is still one of the best passing big men in the league. Again, we watching the same player? Shaq has been spinning baseline since becoming healthy which we have not seen in 3 years from him. Again, we watching the same player?

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Makeplays

Rookie
Reaction score
This is by far your weakest post and worst evaluation of any player. You realize how easy it is to look at any player in the NBA and point out holes in a persons game? Shaq has played pretty damn good this season and that's all that counts.

However, despite that let's look at what you said.

First off you must not have been watching Shaq most of his career. Shaq has always picked up fouls throughout his career in this manner. It never stopped Shaq from contributing to a title caliber team.

Second, Eddie Johnson said it best. When you are as big and strong as Shaq, it's magnified. He pointed out this happens several times during the course of the game by players not named Shaq and it doesn't get called because the guy doing it can't knock a player to the floor.

This is much ado about nothing.

Stupid comment. Shaq is no longer a spring chicken and can't do it for 40 minutes a game anymore. When Shaq isn't doing something it's because he is winded. Shaq is not a lazy player. Shaq is 9th best in the NBA at the Center position from a rebounding perspective. That is pretty damn good for "lazy player" of his age.

It kills me how often fans call player "lazy" or they "lack effort". Sometimes players just can't do things. I am not on the Amare is lazy bandwagon either. I think Amare lacks focus, discipline and basketball IQ (ie. needed skills) which contribute to his disappearance on the boards and the defensive end. That doesn't describe Shaq IMO.

If I had to label any players lazy......Coleman was lazy...Diaw was lazy...but Shaq??? The medical staff says he works his butt off during practice and when conditioning.

Again, not a spring chicken. Again, what kind of reflexes did you expect from Shaq at this stage of his career? The guy is a hulk in NBA standards. Having said that Shaq is still one of the best passing big men in the league. Again, we watching the same player? Shaq has been spinning baseline since becoming healthy which we have not seen in 3 years from him. Again, we watching the same player?

Ok what NBA show are you on? I thought so. If you read my post I said he's having a great year. But my point of contention is to lose the unnecessary offensive fouls which is adding to Phoenix's turnover problem. Is that too much to ask?

36 seems to work Ok for Grant Hill

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Ok what NBA show are you on? I thought so. If you read my post I said he's having a great year. But my point of contention is to lose the unnecessary offensive fouls which is adding to Phoenix's turnover problem. Is that too much to ask?

I'm sorry, but this entire line of thought seems to be nothing but sour grapes. Even though his stats were good last night, he didn't have that great of a game, so all of a sudden he becomes a scapegoat. Shaq is the least of our problems. Every player has an offensive foul occasionally, and he IS 350 pounds, he's going to make an offensive foul every now and then. ALL big players have that issue, not just Shaq.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

Grant Hill is 220 lb. Shaq is anywhere between 315 and 330. Age takes its toll on big men more than it does on smaller players. Additionally, Grant Hill completely missed several seasons and he was always freakishly athletic, and were it not for the injuries, he would have been the 2nd best player of his era, behind only Michael Jordan. Grant Hill is a terrible example.
If you want to objectively compare Shaq to somebody, compare him to Robinson, Hakeem, and Ewing at that age.

nowagimp

Reaction score

He also is clearly not fighting for position while a shot is up in the air like Sweet Lou does.

Sweet lou will have his day, probably after JRich, they'll all get roasted eventually as bums, just like the rest. Fortunately for sweet lou he makes the min, so their wont be so much anger when his time to be ripped comes.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok what NBA show are you on? I thought so.

OK, so what NBA show are YOU on??? What is your point?? You can have a good take or a bad take (in this case bad take applies to you) regardless if your on a show. Besides, look at some of the morons on TV. I have seen people on this forum with a better NBA knowledge then some of those idiots.

As Chap stated above....sounds like sour grapes.

If you read my post I said he's having a great year. But my point of contention is to lose the unnecessary offensive fouls which is adding to Phoenix's turnover problem.

I read your post. Did you read mine? I said that Shaq's offensive fouls have always been part of his game. It's not the problem your making it out to be. It's not like it has ever been a preventing factor in him contributing to a title contending team.

In terms of turnovers.....Tim Duncan, Dwight Howard and Yao Ming all turn the ball over more then Shaq per game and they are considered elite centers. Tim plays Center most of the time so I put him in there.

Honestly, if you want to look at our turnover problem, look no further then Nash who is #1 in the nba in turnovers, Amare is who #2 in the NBA among PF and Matt Barnes who is accounting for 50% of our total bench turnovers.

Come on already. Any turnover by ANY other person on this team adds to the problem. Your making it sound like Shaq is a turnover pariah leading to the teams turnover woes.

Is that too much to ask?

Well...I guess not....if the criteria is having the most perfect center in the world. :rolleyes:

Last edited: