Sources: Lakers trying to acquire Suns forward Trevor Ariza in a three-team deal

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Not really, Gambo said he doesn't think the Suns would be interested in Fultz. He did not say it as if someone from the Suns told him so, it is his opinion based on them saying they want someone who can play now.

I think a Fultz deal is the most likely outcome.

I hope you're right, especially if Dragic's knee issues are as serious as reported and if the only other option is Jeremy freaking Lin.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
We would be turning Ariza into Russell. Seems like a good get for us. He certainly wouldn't be my first target, but for what we would likely be giving up it would be a good move.
How much cap space would he eat? And o don’t view him as a long term upgrade do you?

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fultz wouldn't surprise me. Honestly, we have seen this play out over and over. Teams think they can take players that didn't perform well and turn them around. Plus, it's a low risk for the team giving him up.

Dragic? I would be shocked. This would be the 3rd stint with the team and it just seems like been there done that and it didn't end well.

Lin? I hope not but I guess again low risk. He seemed to thrive in run and gun offense and struggled big time in more traditional pick and roll and setup on the block offenses. He sure doesn't seem like a good fit if the Suns plan on building around Ayton.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We would be turning Ariza into Russell. Seems like a good get for us. He certainly wouldn't be my first target, but for what we would likely be giving up it would be a good move.

I'd go along with this with the caveat I seldom watch Russell play.

Russell for Ariza is an improvement. Also he is only 22. If the Suns don't like him nothing much is lost as he is a RFA next season. The Suns do not have to match.

https://hoopshype.com/player/dangelo-russell/salary/

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
How much cap space would he eat? And o don’t view him as a long term upgrade do you?
D'Angelo Russell? He is a RFA with a $9.6M QO hold for 2019 so if he doesn't pan out you would just renounce his rights, same situation as Elfrid Payton last year. He is only 23 years old and is very good friends with Booker so if it keeps Booker happy that is a bonus.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
D'Angelo Russell? He is a RFA with a $9.6M QO hold for 2019 so if he doesn't pan out you would just renounce his rights, same situation as Elfrid Payton last year. He is only 23 years old and is very good friends with Booker so if it keeps Booker happy that is a bonus.

I would be fine with a flier on Russell, though I don't think he is really a point guard (though I do think he is more of a point guard than Booker).

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I would be fine with a flier on Russell, though I don't think he is really a point guard (though I do think he is more of a point guard than Booker).
I would say he is as much a PG as Dinwiddie. The reality of today's NBA is that there really aren't many true pass first PG's. Most of the top PG's in the NBA are shoot first guys. Kyle Lowry leads the NBA at 10 apg, no one else averages above 8. Russell averages just under 6 apg, yes he shoots a lot but he can create his own shot as well as create shots for others. If you can get him for nothing more than Ariza then that is a good trade to me.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
I would say he is as much a PG as Dinwiddie. The reality of today's NBA is that there really aren't many true pass first PG's. Most of the top PG's in the NBA are shoot first guys. Kyle Lowry leads the NBA at 10 apg, no one else averages above 8. Russell averages just under 6 apg, yes he shoots a lot but he can create his own shot as well as create shots for others. If you can get him for nothing more than Ariza then that is a good trade to me.
How is Russell's defense? I never really watch nets games

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

I agree that Dinwiddie is not a pure point guard, either, but in my opinion he is more of a point guard than Russell, who in turn is more of a point guard than Booker (who I consider to be a pure shooting guard). I would certainly prefer Russell over the likes of Jeremy Lin.

Little E

Reaction score
I think a trade for Lonzo Ball would be possible if we included Josh Jackson with Trevor Ariza. Something like an Ariza, Jackson, Daniels for Ball, Caldwell-Pope, Beasley would be close salary wise both for this year and next year. Both Ariza/Daniels and Caldwell-Pope/Beasley are in last year deals. I think both teams would benefit from this deal.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
I think a trade for Lonzo Ball would be possible if we included Josh Jackson with Trevor Ariza. Something like an Ariza, Jackson, Daniels for Ball, Caldwell-Pope, Beasley would be close salary wise both for this year and next year. Both Ariza/Daniels and Caldwell-Pope/Beasley are in last year deals. I think both teams would benefit from this deal.
I think lonzo would be perfect fit for this team but they already said they won't include him and I don't know if magic is ready to move on unless he gets someone like beal

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

No way do I give up on Jackson. I still think he is a competent coach away from being another Scottie Pippen. And I assume in your scenario that Beasley gets waived without playing a minute for the Suns...

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
Is there any chatter about Russell for Ariza or just fan speculation? A PG that averages 18 and 6 for Ariza would seem to be one hell of a deal.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How to boost someone's output, "hey we going to trade you to the suns if you don't start producing"

This is so true. The Suns are the purgatory of the NBA and have been for some time now.

If I were the owner I would be embarrassed.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Hmm, okay. While I don’t think he’s a particularly good player and I’m afraid he might detract from bookers scoring and aytons growth I think I’d be willing to gamble. As long as we aren’t required to throw in any additional assets beyond ariza.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hmm, okay. While I don’t think he’s a particularly good player and I’m afraid he might detract from bookers scoring and aytons growth I think I’d be willing to gamble. As long as we aren’t required to throw in any additional assets beyond ariza.
Yeah. I am with you. But I would do this early because I would want to get a really good look. Anything that gives the Suns control right now would be a good thing.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think lonzo would be perfect fit for this team but they already said they won't include him and I don't know if magic is ready to move on unless he gets someone like beal
Uh oh, danger. We’ve found common ground. Agree with everything you wrote.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not really, Gambo said he doesn't think the Suns would be interested in Fultz. He did not say it as if someone from the Suns told him so, it is his opinion based on them saying they want someone who can play now.

I think a Fultz deal is the most likely outcome.
For all the talk about Fultz' shot being bad, he can play. He is a good defender by most accounts. He is still very good at getting to the rim, and he is a good distributor. His handles are good. His skill set at this moment is in the same ball park with Lonzo. If we brought him in, he would still be our best pg based upon his present abilities,

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
Just saw a post that said dinwiddie signed an extension, if real i guess that probably means he's out.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser