Sources: Lakers trying to acquire Suns forward Trevor Ariza in a three-team deal

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, if Ariza is the only thing the Suns give up, I am not sure that's a problem. It gives them options. They can try to extend their own p[layer or they can look elsewhere.

Are you saying the 76ers could extend McConnell before the trade for Ariza?

If so this would involve contract negotiations for an unknown value. I'm for it if it can be done for a reasonable amount. However, McConnell may want to test free agency.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

If so this would involve contract negotiations for an unknown value. I'm for it if it can be done for a reasonable amount. However, McConnell may want to test free agency.

No, I was just saying that if we are giving up nothing except Ariza, I am not really worried that the player we are trading for is a free agent after this year. So, in your example, McConnell would be a free agent next summer. Who cares? We only gave up an expiring contract. They can try to extend McConnell in the summer, or they can pursue other options.

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score

Philly won't give up McConnell. He's a fan favorite and their only energy guy. They've turned down way better offers for him than anything this trade would net them

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, I was just saying that if we are giving up nothing except Ariza, I am not really worried that the player we are trading for is a free agent after this year. So, in your example, McConnell would be a free agent next summer. Who cares? We only gave up an expiring contract. They can try to extend McConnell in the summer, or they can pursue other options.

I see. The salaries won't match so the Suns will be taking on more salary from somewhere.

Wondering who the pieces are can drive a fan crazy.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
If they trade with the Lakers again, Jones needs to be fired immediately.
Again? We didn’t trade with the lakers the first time. We gifted chandler to them by releasing him and getting ZERO. James Jones better tread REAL smartly here . . .

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Philly won't give up McConnell. He's a fan favorite and their only energy guy. They've turned down way better offers for him than anything this trade would net them

The Suns do have the Bucks pick although I wouldn't do this pick for him straight up as he will be a free agent next summer.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Evan Sidery has a proposed trade.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Dinwiddie and Faried would be nice but they are expiring.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Take out the Milwaukee pick for the Lakers second round pick, and I do that in a heartbeat. Otherwise, I do not risk getting nothing but two rentals in a lost season for the Milwaukee pick. Perhaps have the Lakers and Suns each send a second round pick to the Nets.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Listen. Chandler and Ariza might "tear it up" but what difference does that make for us? They were never going to do it here.

We need a starting point guard though, or no deal.
I don’t care how they perform for the lakers. I do care that (a) we got nothing for chandlers tasty expiring contract when he still has value; and (b) ariza does have positive value and we need to get value back. If Jones gifts both of them to his buddy Lebron I’ll be incensed. If he gets value for ariza I don’t care where he goes or how he performs.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I just don’t see how much value KCP can have. I think ariza is more valuable. Lakers can want him but I’m just not seeing the three way that works.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I see. The salaries won't match so the Suns will be taking on more salary from somewhere.

Wondering who the pieces are can drive a fan crazy.

The salaries would work in a deal like that, Ariza to LA, KCP to Philly, Fultz & McConnell to Phoenix. The only issue is the December 15th date. Trades must be within 25% of a players salary so they don't need to bring back a full $15 million for Ariza but they need to bring back an amount that is within 25% of it. Fultz for Ariza straight up doesn't work but if McConnell was included then it would. Salaries aren't the hold up. Philly may like McConnell because he's a fan favorite but they are legit contenders this year and they can't think about placing importance on fan favorites over guys that could help them make the finals and potentially compete with the Warriors. If Ariza returns to who he was in Houston last year, he'd help them in that regard a lot. A lineup of Simmons, Reddick, Butler, Ariza, and Embiid might be able to cause problems for the Warriors, depending on how well Boogie fits in when he's healthy.

https://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/7142051

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
The salaries would work in a deal like that, Ariza to LA, KCP to Philly, Fultz & McConnell to Phoenix. The only issue is the December 15th date. Trades must be within 25% of a players salary so they don't need to bring back a full $15 million for Ariza but they need to bring back an amount that is within 25% of it. Fultz for Ariza straight up doesn't work but if McConnell was included then it would. Salaries aren't the hold up. Philly may like McConnell because he's a fan favorite but they are legit contenders this year and they can't think about placing importance on fan favorites over guys that could help them make the finals and potentially compete with the Warriors. If Ariza returns to who he was in Houston last year, he'd help them in that regard a lot. A lineup of Simmons, Reddick, Butler, Ariza, and Embiid might be able to cause problems for the Warriors, depending on how well Boogie fits in when he's healthy.

https://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/7142051
The only thing is with McConnell, Then we have a LOT of PGs on our roster, assuming we keep Okobo, and Melton, Then we add Fultz and McConnell. I would guess we assume J Crossover is a two guard. We would still need a PF, arguably, so I wouldn't see our trades being finished. Maybe if in a three way trade we get Fultz and a PF in return?

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score

I don't care if they're expiring. Dinwiddie would be perfect leading this team, and we can discuss extension before the end of the season. Faried would be a great motor 4 who defends and rebounds. 2 things our front court needs BADLY. Season ends you either re-up Faried depending on how he plays with this squad. If not, then we go after a 4 in the draft.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Not bad. I’m surprised ppl in that thread are pushing for Russell instead who’s averaging 18 pts on 17 shots.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not bad. I’m surprised ppl in that thread are pushing for Russell instead who’s averaging 18 pts on 17 shots.

A lot of casual fans who are probably more familiar with his Lakers time and being drafted #2 overall than who he's been with Brooklyn would be my guess. For some reason Russell still has some name appeal to a lot of people. He's not a star but he's viewed as someone with star potential that could easily breakout and become a legit star over time. I don't understand the hype, never have. Russell has always been more style than substance IMO and since he ruined his own reputation in LA by posting videos of his teammates talking about hooking up with groupies, he's always seemed to be incredibly immature as well. You don't want that sort of personality for your starting PG, especially when you view him as a longterm sort of fixture as a starter. He's a lot like a Bledsoe or Knight in that he hasn't earned the payday he's likely to get this coming summer and he's not even a true PG, more of a combo guard that envisions himself as a PG. He can play the point but I don't think he'll ever be the primary PG on a playoff team unless he's paired with a really good playmaking wing. I know he's averaging almost 6 assists this year but he's also averaging close to 3 turnovers and he calls his own number way too often for someone who doesn't shoot that well.

Last edited:

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Unless we are getting a solid PG in return (like Dinwiddie mentioned above) then I would rather ride out Ariza for remainder of the season than have James Jones help his dear friend LeBron James again.

KCP and 2nd rd pick? Yuck. We ought to do better than that (which we should considering rumors of flipping that package to a 3rd team). The league may start investigating James Jones for collusion with the Lakers if pulls off another stunt to help out his bestfriend.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don’t care if Ariza goes to LAL unless Jones passes up or doesn’t explore a better deal.

That said, there are a lot of interring options in this thread. It’s actually pretty exciting to think we might get a different look within a week.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Ball would be a step up at Point Guard for the Suns, but can you imagine Daddy and Sarver feeding off each other? Two raging egomaniacs.

It would give them both what they want -- attention. But it would detract from the team on the court.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well. It certainly looks like Ariza is going to get traded and probably very soon. We will see what type GM James Jones is. This next move is what will set the tone for how he is perceived going forward.

As a Suns fan, I am not sure how it can get worse unless the team moves. When you are not competitive, it is about as low as you can go. And tanking doesn't even matter this year because the odds have changed.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There are at least 30 regulars on this board who could have written that identical article.
I know. It says nothing. Gambo's tweet has a little more info. 8 teams interested. Nothing of real substance going on with the Lakers according to Gambo.

The general consensus EVERYWHERE in the league is that James Jones will do anything that LeBron wants. Hope Sarver and James Jones are reading that. They have made jokes of themselves.

Gambo says 8 teams. Here is my guess.

Lakers
Houston
Denver
Philly
Detroit
Milwaukee
Clippers
Warriors (just because they always seem to be in the mix everywhere)

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser