Sources: Lakers trying to acquire Suns forward Trevor Ariza in a three-team deal

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Am I the only one here that is expecting to be unbelievably underwhelmed by the return the Suns get for Ariza?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well. Since my expectations are really really low already, it would be hard for me to be underwhelmed.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ya but let's be real his cap space is only a benefit to other teams , sarver is never going to attract any big name free agents as long as he's in charge so any cap hit doesn't matter that much at the moment I'm all for a gamble or two , I'd prefer dinwiddle or someone like that but really any point guard who can defend and pass is miles ahead of what they have
After the Ariza experience, this may be true. It is an argument for trading for John Wall actually.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The only way they can lose is if they trade for a player who sucks and has multiple years in his contract thereby robbing us of cap space. As ariza is on an expiring contract he represents not only his current value as a player, but also his impending value as $15M in cap space.

Or if they pass up a better deal just to get Ariza sent to the Lakers.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
They already did that by buying out Chandler and not trading him to LA

i was so anxious to get rid of Chandler that i didn't weigh the value of his expiring contract.
we should have got something from LA
or kept him -- we could have played Ayton and Holmes together, and had a backup center and his expiring contract

if i was any other team i'd be clamoring to be the next to get the better of Sun's management on Ariza

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one here that is expecting to be unbelievably underwhelmed by the return the Suns get for Ariza?

A lot of teams have interest in him but I suspect that's because they expect the price to be reasonable so no, you're not the only one anticipating a small return. But we can count on the attacks on Jones and his Lebron relationship no matter the return if Ariza goes to the Lakers.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
A lot of teams have interest in him but I suspect that's because they expect the price to be reasonable so no, you're not the only one anticipating a small return. But we can count on the attacks on Jones and his Lebron relationship no matter the return if Ariza goes to the Lakers.
Considering the reputation of the Suns, then they should perhaps trade Ariza to one of the 28 other teams that’s not the Lakers then? Unless they are getting one of Lonzo, Hart, Kuzma or Ingram in return.

Ariza isn’t a locker room problem and nor has he caused problems among players or coaches or anything. I’m sure he knew what he was signing up for in July when signing a big 1 yr deal with a team that had the worst record in the league.

There really should not be any imminent move to trade Ariza. With all the injuries the team has had thus far, it may even be more beneficial to just ride Ariza out for remainder of the season unless they get blown away by an offer.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
There really should not be any imminent move to trade Ariza. With all the injuries the team has had thus far, it may even be more beneficial to just ride Ariza out for remainder of the season unless they get blown away by an offer.

that's how the hand should be played

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
You trade with the team that gives you the best return. The only way Lakrs should be involved is if they are providing picks or something like that.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You trade with the team that gives you the best return. The only way Lakrs should be involved is if they are providing picks or something like that.

Yeah I don't think we're going to be making a deal with the Lakers though since it seems like KCP is the only name they seem to be considering. Assuming they actually want him, that suggests to me they really don't expect Ariza to draw much interest.

I was watching The Jump today and Ramona Shelburne said this about the Lakers making a trade with us "I don't know if the Lakers are in a position to do that when they can theoretically just wait for him to come on the buyout market later in the year". Marc Spears response was "I think there's some gamesmanship by James Jones here. He's a very smart guy, I don't see him wanting to get a rep as the Lakers Assistant GM so to speak". So I suspect we'll have to look elsewhere for a reasonable deal.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The salaries would work in a deal like that, Ariza to LA, KCP to Philly, Fultz & McConnell to Phoenix. The only issue is the December 15th date. Trades must be within 25% of a players salary so they don't need to bring back a full $15 million for Ariza but they need to bring back an amount that is within 25% of it. Fultz for Ariza straight up doesn't work but if McConnell was included then it would. Salaries aren't the hold up. Philly may like McConnell because he's a fan favorite but they are legit contenders this year and they can't think about placing importance on fan favorites over guys that could help them make the finals and potentially compete with the Warriors. If Ariza returns to who he was in Houston last year, he'd help them in that regard a lot. A lineup of Simmons, Reddick, Butler, Ariza, and Embiid might be able to cause problems for the Warriors, depending on how well Boogie fits in when he's healthy.

https://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/7142051

I will be happy if the Suns come away with a point guard. As you note there are a myriad of pieces that can get the salaries close enough to make a trade fit.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have almost zero doubt we can make a deal for Fultz.

That is much better than hanging on to Ariza IMO because of the potential he has.

You can't tell me though with all the FA pg's coming up at the end of the year there is not at least one deal to be made, especially if the suns are willing to take on salary.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
i was so anxious to get rid of Chandler that i didn't weigh the value of his expiring contract.
we should have got something from LA
or kept him -- we could have played Ayton and Holmes together, and had a backup center and his expiring contract

if i was any other team i'd be clamoring to be the next to get the better of Sun's management on Ariza
The problem is that we could not trade Chandler outright. So he would have had to be included in a deal to get a player we want, but we never could get a deal like that done. There is part of me that hopes James Jones got a wink wink commitment for some sort of "future considerations" from the Lakers for buying him out so they could sign him.

Probably not, but you cling to whatever hope you can find.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the Suns will get something interesting in return for Ariza but the player will likely be an expiring contract that another team can't keep. Minimally I'm expecting a point guard that can start the rest of the season.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not sure we will be able to sign a FA next summer even if we have the money, at least the way things are going right now.

Makes me wonder if we should just trade for Wall. He is a huge, huge, contract, but at least we would have a pg.

This feels like a time warp. It feels like the December 1987 Suns. Those were the dark days to of the drug scandal etc.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Naw if he gets a reasonable return I don’t care where he goes. If he gifts him to the lakers that’s another story.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure we will be able to sign a FA next summer even if we have the money, at least the way things are going right now.

Makes me wonder if we should just trade for Wall. He is a huge, huge, contract, but at least we would have a pg.

This feels like a time warp. It feels like the December 1987 Suns. Those were the dark days to of the drug scandal etc.

If the Suns overpay for a point guard there will probably be takers. Maybe not the big names though.

Here is a list of unrestricted free agent point guards for 2019.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/ufa/point-guard/

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

The December 1987 Suns were a picnic compared to this, in my opinion.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Well, let's see, he has questionable knees, a recurring heel problem, no leadership skills, a poor relationship with teammates and frequently clashes with coaches along with a cap killing contract and his team routinely plays better when he's not on the court. How does this help us?

Did I mention that he'd be joining the Suns, a team that routinely gets the short end of referee calls - and he'd be doing that just a few weeks after announcing to the basketball world that he has no respect for any referee?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

If Wall is available now then he should remain available this offseason, either at the draft or when free agency opens. I look at acquiring him as a last case scenario. If we can't spend out cap space on a quality PG in free agency then look for someone like Wall that is overpaid whose team will be interested in unloading his deal. We won't have the money to absorb it entirely but we could find a way to make it work with roughly $20-25 million in cap space. I would imagine the Wizards wouldn't balk at the idea of taking back just $10-15 million in salary for a season to unload him.

I don't think we'll sign a star in free agency but we should be able to add a quality starter or two without drastically overpaying them. There are not enough teams to give everyone the roles they want so some players will be fine coming to Phoenix, and perhaps Booker could help recruit someone. He seemed to be playing with a lot of big name players this last offseason. I don't think we'll snag one of those guys but someone a tier below should be possible.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
The December 1987 Suns were a picnic compared to this, in my opinion.
I agree. Even if that were not the case, this is here and now. I don't think it matters which was "worser". :confused:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser