Sources: Lakers trying to acquire Suns forward Trevor Ariza in a three-team deal

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There are at least 30 regulars on this board who could have written that identical article.

Well, maybe but we would be lying about 8 teams having contacted the suns - I actually believe Gambo was told that - but that is the only news in the article.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well, maybe but we would be lying about 8 teams having contacted the suns - I actually believe Gambo was told that - but that is the only news in the article.
In ELindholm's defense, he is talking about the article, not the tweet. The article says nothing about 8 teams. It just says "several teams" in the title but does not even indicate that in the text.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know. It says nothing. Gambo's tweet has a little more info. 8 teams interested. Nothing of real substance going on with the Lakers according to Gambo.

The general consensus EVERYWHERE in the league is that James Jones will do anything that LeBron wants. Hope Sarver and James Jones are reading that. They have made jokes of themselves.

Gambo says 8 teams. Here is my guess.

Lakers
Houston
Denver
Philly
Detroit
Milwaukee
Clippers
Warriors (just because they always seem to be in the mix everywhere)

All I know is if there is any possibility of getting either Brogdan or Dinwittle they damn well better do it, and tell the Lakers to stick it.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All I know is if there is any possibility of getting either Brogdan or Dinwittle they damn well better do it, and tell the Lakers to stick it.

Sure but I have no idea what else we would have to include to entice either team to move on from one of those guys.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don't care if they're expiring. Dinwiddie would be perfect leading this team, and we can discuss extension before the end of the season. Faried would be a great motor 4 who defends and rebounds. 2 things our front court needs BADLY. Season ends you either re-up Faried depending on how he plays with this squad. If not, then we go after a 4 in the draft.
Yeah this may be the best opp.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Sure but I have no idea what else we would have to include to entice either team to move on from one of those guys.

Well possibly not much. Millwaukee has to pay both Middleton and Bledsoe. Brogdan is restricted, but I think they really have to choose between him and Bledsoe to avoid the luxury tax.

Dinwittle has already said he is gone if they don't extend him by mid season. If they have decided they only want to pay Russell instead he could also be available cheap.

It's the whole get something instead of nothing, so they might actually be available cheap.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I'd give up a future first for Brogdon. Not so sure about Dinwiddie; I wish we had a larger sample size on him.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
I think no matter what it would be hard for the suns to lose any trade, ariza has been useless , even a fultz gamble is better then keeping him

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well possibly not much. Millwaukee has to pay both Middleton and Bledsoe. Brogdan is restricted, but I think they really have to choose between him and Bledsoe to avoid the luxury tax.

Dinwittle has already said he is gone if they don't extend him by mid season. If they have decided they only want to pay Russell instead he could also be available cheap.

It's the whole get something instead of nothing, so they might actually be available cheap.

I would expect Milwaukee to pay the luxury tax if that's what it takes to keep Giannis content, not that I have any clue about their relationship. But personal relationships aside, I'd guess they'd be more likely to part ways with Bledsoe because of his age and injury history plus the likely contract demands they'll see from Rich Paul.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Dinwiddie traded but I don't see why they'd really want Ariza or especially KCP.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would expect Milwaukee to pay the luxury tax if that's what it takes to keep Giannis content, not that I have any clue about their relationship. But personal relationships aside, I'd guess they'd be more likely to part ways with Bledsoe because of his age and injury history plus the likely contract demands they'll see from Rich Paul.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Dinwiddie traded but I don't see why they'd really want Ariza or especially KCP.

As far as New Jersey, the reason they would do it is to get some kind of a young asset or draft pick, so I tend to agree a first rounder would have to be sent as part of the deal - hopefully just the Milwaukee one.

I would keep Brogdan over Bledsoe any day of the week. With that said they had Brogdan when they traded for Bledsoe, and Bledsoe is the starter now.

I think they do value Bledsoe more highly, and they are trying to compete now. I am just guessing but I think they might rather have a more traditional shooting guard, another wing, or an upgrade at center rather than having two pg's sharing minutes on big contracts.

I don't know that Brogdan is really available - just saying if I was the Suns I would definitely be inquiring.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know that Brogdan is really available - just saying if I was the Suns I would definitely be inquiring.

Same here but I'm pretty sure we've been inquiring on him and Dinwiddie for awhile now. I know it seems like every time we play the Bucks their announcer mentions that we asked for Brogdon in the Bledsoe deal and they refused.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I think no matter what it would be hard for the suns to lose any trade, ariza has been useless , even a fultz gamble is better then keeping him
The only way they can lose is if they trade for a player who sucks and has multiple years in his contract thereby robbing us of cap space. As ariza is on an expiring contract he represents not only his current value as a player, but also his impending value as $15M in cap space.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

Honestly I don’t see why anyone would want to give up assets for KCP.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Bucks also added George Hill this year so Brogdan is not as secure there as some think. Hill is only owed $1 million in guaranteed money next year but the Bucks could pick 2 of their PG's to retain from Bledsoe, Hill, and Brogdan, if they do decide to keep both. Moving Delladova and Henson's deals help them avoid the tax going forward, provide they don't pay Bledsoe max money.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly I don’t see why anyone would want to give up assets for KCP.

Yeah, I don't believe anyone would. I think it's just a story crafted from the mind of Rich Paul, just doing what agents do. I'd imagine the Lakers would like to include him in any deal but AFAIC he has negative value.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
The only way they can lose is if they trade for a player who sucks and has multiple years in his contract thereby robbing us of cap space. As ariza is on an expiring contract he represents not only his current value as a player, but also his impending value as $15M in cap space.
Ya but let's be real his cap space is only a benefit to other teams , sarver is never going to attract any big name free agents as long as he's in charge so any cap hit doesn't matter that much at the moment I'm all for a gamble or two , I'd prefer dinwiddle or someone like that but really any point guard who can defend and pass is miles ahead of what they have

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Am I the only one here that is expecting to be unbelievably underwhelmed by the return the Suns get for Ariza?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
Am I the only one here that is expecting to be unbelievably underwhelmed by the return the Suns get for Ariza?

No. I’ll be pleasantly surprised if they get anything of value that will help the team. They haven’t showed me any reason to think they can do this.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

If it is true 8 teams have really contacted them - and worst case is a deal for Fultz, I really don't see how they could screw this up.

Unless Jones really is doing Lebrons bidding.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score

Nope not alone I'm expecting the suns to accept something stupid like a heavily protected second round pick in 2025

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score

No, just like I'm not the only one ready to have this board spin the deal for being better than it is. It won't surprise me if the Suns give up picks to get rid of him, but we'll still have a chorus of apologists saying that the picks didn't have much value, and we're not the ones writing the checks, and it's addition by subtraction anyway.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
Agree with all of the above posts. I will be surprised if the Suns make any kind of deal that really benefits the team going forward. Fingers crossed, but I will be floored if they do.

If Jones ends up just throwing a freebie to the Lakers because James is his old buddy (and not saying he will), I think we'll all be thoroughly disgusted with this muck of a front office.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
They already did that by buying out Chandler and not trading him to LA

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser