Sources: Lakers trying to acquire Suns forward Trevor Ariza in a three-team deal

hcsilla

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The only downside is that both Dinwiddie and Faried are free agents at the end of the year, and Okobo and a first round pick are a heck of a lot to give up for what could amount to a couple of four month rentals in a lost season.

I agree.

I like Dinwiddie but the Suns easily can try to sign him outright next summer.

Having him on the roster as early as possible helps the team and having his Bird-rights increases the chances of signing him to a long-term contract but is this really worth Okobo and a future 1st rounder?

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know Dinwiddie is eligible for an extension until summer, and the Nets can't go over 4 years, 48 million or so on that. Does anyone know if that situation transfers to the Suns in a trade? If so, he's the perfect target.

I believe it does transfer with him but I think he said he would be fine with that. I remember seeing an interview with him where someone mentioned the max amount they could offer in an extension and he said something along the lines of "if they wanted to lock me in long term then they would send me that offer". I can't remember what he said specifically but it was pretty easy to see that he'd be fine taking that as an extension to avoid the instability of free agency. I think they have until the end of February to sign him, it might be a little sooner, but they don't quite have the full rest of the season.

ColdPickleNachos

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I believe it does transfer with him but I think he said he would be fine with that. I remember seeing an interview with him where someone mentioned the max amount they could offer in an extension and he said something along the lines of "if they wanted to lock me in long term then they would send me that offer". I can't remember what he said specifically but it was pretty easy to see that he'd be fine taking that as an extension to avoid the instability of free agency. I think they have until the end of February to sign him, it might be a little sooner, but they don't quite have the full rest of the season.

I would love to get Dinwiddie and lock him down for 4/48. That's a great deal. Either he's your starting point guard (which I think he could be) and you've got a steal, or he's an elite backup like he is for Brooklyn right now, and that's still a solid contract. I think Brooklyn would be all over that deal except it limits their flexibility in an offseason where they want to shoot for the stars.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yeah, I read the same article and that's basically what he said.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
The only downside is that both Dinwiddie and Faried are free agents at the end of the year, and Okobo and a first round pick are a heck of a lot to give up for what could amount to a couple of four month rentals in a lost season.
Four month rentals or four month auditions?
This team could use a couple of guys that are playing for contracts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is time for Adam Silver to intervene the way David Stern did when the Hornets attempted to give Chris Paul away to the Lakers.

I get your point but this is way over the top. Chris Paul is one thing but Ariza? Uh no. Silver shouldn't waste his time.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Having him on the roster as early as possible helps the team and having his Bird-rights increases the chances of signing him to a long-term contract but is this really worth Okobo and a future 1st rounder?

I would say yes. The Suns are a complete disaster right now. They are on pace to go 12-70. I think a season that bad is likely to do long-term damage to the franchise.

Also, they need to know what they have. Does Booker have true leadership potential? Can Ayton take any step forward toward being more aggressive? Is Jackson ever going to get it? You can't answer these questions with a roster that isn't close to being competitive.

If Dinwiddie works out and the Suns start believing in themselves a little, they might win 20 games this season instead of 12. That's still terrible, even laughable, but it won't be a total humiliation. If there's a way to avoid total humiliation this season, the Suns need to pursue it.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
If the suns have a chance to land land Dinwiddie by offloading Ariza they have to roll the dice.

Even if he walks at the end of the season. At the very least we will know if its really a lack of a PG that makes Igors offense look like trash.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You know I guess I am not as concerned about this season as most.

I am pretty happy overall with the rookies we got, I am happy with Richaun Holmes unexpected play, and TJ's game taking a step forward.

The team has been a bit jeckl and hyde but on some nights you can see some real promise.

The only real disappointments for me this year are Anderson being a disaster, Ariza underperforming, and Josh Jackson's regression.

I do not see a team that has lost it's will to compete, quite the contrary, their effort against the Clippers the other night was their best of the year.

What I am saying is I do not think the team is in crisis, I think the team is progressing, and if Booker can stay healthy I do see this team winning a decent number of games before this year is over.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Four month rentals or four month auditions?
This team could use a couple of guys that are playing for contracts.

And if they walk, we gave up a potential key bench player of the future and a first round pick for nothing.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I get your point but this is way over the top. Chris Paul is one thing but Ariza? Uh no. Silver shouldn't waste his time.

But it wouldn't just be Ariza. It would be Ariza on top of Chandler, which would suggest collusion with Lebron and/or the Lakers.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I would say yes. The Suns are a complete disaster right now. They are on pace to go 12-70. I think a season that bad is likely to do long-term damage to the franchise.

Also, they need to know what they have. Does Booker have true leadership potential? Can Ayton take any step forward toward being more aggressive? Is Jackson ever going to get it? You can't answer these questions with a roster that isn't close to being competitive.

If Dinwiddie works out and the Suns start believing in themselves a little, they might win 20 games this season instead of 12. That's still terrible, even laughable, but it won't be a total humiliation. If there's a way to avoid total humiliation this season, the Suns need to pursue it.

Then Kokoskov needs to be gone immediately.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You know I guess I am not as concerned about this season as most.

I am pretty happy overall with the rookies we got, I am happy with Richaun Holmes unexpected play, and TJ's game taking a step forward.

The team has been a bit jeckl and hyde but on some nights you can see some real promise.

The only real disappointments for me this year are Anderson being a disaster, Ariza underperforming, and Josh Jackson's regression.

I do not see a team that has lost it's will to compete, quite the contrary, their effort against the Clippers the other night was their best of the year.

What I am saying is I do not think the team is in crisis, I think the team is progressing, and if Booker can stay healthy I do see this team winning a decent number of games before this year is over.

What about Booker and Bridges regressing and a lack of will to compete on most nights (the aberration that is the Clippers game notwithstanding)?

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
And if they walk, we gave up a potential key bench player of the future and a first round pick for nothing.
Most players sign with their current team. If they make a trade like this hopefully they talk to their agents and ask if they’re open to signing with the Suns.

The chances of the Suns signing a good UFA from some other team are slim.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I think we would have a very good chance of resigning Dinwittle. After all there are not a ton of open starting PG spots so opportunity is great here, and non superstars aren't generally looking to leave unless the team they are with is completely dysfunctional or they feel disrespected.

The truth is we likely only have playing time for one of Okobo or Melton. I think Okobo has the higher upside, and we have him under contract for 4 years instead of 2, so I would be more likely to trade Melton if I had to choose. But truthfully I don't know which will be better in the long term and would prefer not to give up either yet.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
I think Phoenix should trade Booker this year while his value is at it's peak, I like Booker but I don't believe he can be the number 1 guy on a winning team , plus he's injury prone , we could get a great potentially franchise changing return for Booker and then we can get rid of Igor and build a team around ayton instead

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Honest question that is not meant as a dig...

Why do your posts always seem to have the visual appearance of a haiku?

i am a bit of a non-conformist
but i write a lot. sometimes for a living
so it's mostly just for speed and convenience when casual writing
but even here, i occasionally write properly when i've got a lot to say

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The truth is we likely only have playing time for one of Okobo or Melton. I think Okobo has the higher upside, and we have him under contract for 4 years instead of 2, so I would be more likely to trade Melton if I had to choose. But truthfully I don't know which will be better in the long term and would prefer not to give up either yet.

It's a small sample size but IMO Melton has looked to be the superior player. But I agree, I have no idea which one has the better NBA future though I'd lean towards Melton because of his defensive abilities and his physical advantages (length and quickness primarily).

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Most players sign with their current team. If they make a trade like this hopefully they talk to their agents and ask if they’re open to signing with the Suns.

The chances of the Suns signing a good UFA from some other team are slim.

And as I said, if the Suns had some sort of assurance that Dinwiddie stays here, I do the deal yesterday.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think Phoenix should trade Booker this year while his value is at it's peak, I like Booker but I don't believe he can be the number 1 guy on a winning team , plus he's injury prone , we could get a great potentially franchise changing return for Booker and then we can get rid of Igor and build a team around ayton instead

I think we need to get rid of Igor first to see if Igor is the reason that Booker has not made progress this year. If your observations hold after Igor is gone, the Suns at least might have to consider it, along the same line of reasoning as when they traded Larry Nance in 1988, though they better have a remotely competent GM in place to do so in order to have any chance of getting any return along the lines of what they got for Nance (Kevin Johnson, Mark West, Tyrone Corbin, a first round pick swap and two second round picks).

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
T
I think we need to get rid of Igor first to see if Igor is the reason that Booker has not made progress this year. If your observations hold after Igor is gone, the Suns at least might have to consider it, along the same line of reasoning as when they traded Larry Nance in 1988, though they better have a remotely competent GM in place to do so in order to have any chance of getting any return along the lines of what they got for Nance (Kevin Johnson, Mark West, Tyrone Corbin, a first round pick swap and two second round picks).
Well sadly sarver isn't going anywhere but a return from Booker could really turn the franchise around , I think they should at least stop saying that Booker is untouchable and just listen to what offers they could get , I would take a couple of solid players and picks over Booker at the moment just look at the clippers right now they are competitive without stars because everyone on their team is competent

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
T

Well sadly sarver isn't going anywhere but a return from Booker could really turn the franchise around , I think they should at least stop saying that Booker is untouchable and just listen to what offers they could get , I would take a couple of solid players and picks over Booker at the moment just look at the clippers right now they are competitive without stars because everyone on their team is competent

Sarver isn't going anywhere unfortunately. Another potential huge issue now, trades not withstanding, is Sarver's threat to move the Suns to Vegas or Seattle if arena renovations are not approved

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a small sample size but IMO Melton has looked to be the superior player. But I agree, I have no idea which one has the better NBA future though I'd lean towards Melton because of his defensive abilities and his physical advantages (length and quickness primarily).

This is where I am at as well. I like Okobo but Melton is flat out aggressive and makes things happen. It would be awesome if the Suns could keep both players and add a starting point guard.

Since Melton was only signed to a two year contract, this might come back to bite them. I'm wondering if they can extend him before his contract runs out... not exactly sure how this works.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Sarver isn't going anywhere unfortunately. Another potential huge issue now, trades not withstanding, is Sarver's threat to move the Suns to Vegas or Seattle if arena renovations are not approved

well, moving the team to Vegas is one way to get rid of Sarver.
call his bluff
phx should be one of the more desirable markets for another owner

i don't know much about the renovation issue
but my inclination is that he needs to get the message that he gets a new arena when he gives this city something to get excited about. the taxpayers should not be subsidizing his incompetence

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
He took one of the most successful and respected franchises in professional sports and turned it into a joke. I doubt those cities would even want the Suns unless he sells them the team.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser