Sources: Lakers trying to acquire Suns forward Trevor Ariza in a three-team deal

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That's what I'm wondering too , Booker could get alot of assests that could help the rebuild alot more than just he could , doesn't hurt to listen to offers

Just going to say I completely disagree with this.

You should never trade quality for quantity unless you have no choice. Any trade of booker would be exactly that.

None of you would be saying trade him if he had been healthy this season. Just another ridiculous impatient over reaction to the Suns bad season.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

You should never trade quality for quantity unless you have no choice. Any trade of booker would be exactly that.

None of you would be saying trade him if he had been healthy this season. Just another ridiculous impatient over reaction to the Suns bad season.
Agreed. The pupu platter of players for a star almost always end up with the team acquiring the pupu ending up with poopoo.

The fact that KJ turned out to be the best player in the entire deal was not the norm for those type deals but more a nod to Jerry and his team’s ability to identify talent (something the current Sarver squad is proving to be inept at). The majerle pick was also more indicative of the suns superior scouting prowess back in the day and not something we can count on from this regime.

Typically these deals look more like the Barkley trades:

Sixers got a pretty good horny, and bench players in perry and Lang. Suns got an mvp.

Suns got horry throwing towels, cassel never living up to potential, chucky and Bryant (who ironically lasted the longest). Rockets got Barkley.

Pupu usually results in poopoo. And you never want to be in the receiving end of poopoo.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

As a general rule, yes, but we have a historical example with this very team of it working 30 years ago.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Agreed. The pupu platter of players for a star almost always end up with the team acquiring the pupu ending up with poopoo.

The fact that KJ turned out to be the best player in the entire deal was not the norm for those type deals but more a nod to Jerry and his team’s ability to identify talent (something the current Sarver squad is proving to be inept at). The majerle pick was also more indicative of the suns superior scouting prowess back in the day and not something we can count on from this regime.

Typically these deals look more like the Barkley trades:

Sixers got a pretty good horny, and bench players in perry and Lang. Suns got an mvp.

Suns got horry throwing towels, cassel never living up to potential, chucky and Bryant (who ironically lasted the longest). Rockets got Barkley.

Pupu usually results in poopoo. And you never want to be in the receiving end of poopoo.
These deals work best when its an aging star for a basket of young talent. I cannot see how it would work when you are sending out a 22 year old star. Sometimes you just have to do it, like when Memphis traded Pau or when Indy traded PG, and you make the best of it you can. But it is also something you usually do when you are STARTING a rebuild, not when you are this far into it.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
As a general rule, yes, but we have a historical example with this very team of it working 30 years ago.

First off, that example was not for a 22 year old with more potential than almost any other 22 year old in the league.

It's just stupid to trade that kind of a player. We have him locked in for 5 years and it is almost a guarantee he will get better, possibly much better over that time.

Using the exception to the rule to try and prove it wrong is stupid by the way. That's like saying I once knew a guy who won the lottery so if I keep playing I am definitely going to win.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Even if Devin Booker will never be more than sub-par defensively, as the young but mature team leader and face of the franchise, his skills as a scoring/distributing Shooting Guard are not something to give away. And from a public relations point of view, it would be a terrible mistake!

Returning Book to his position when he is healed and adding a legitimate Point Guard and Power Forward, along with a Head Coach who can play into their skills can put us on our way. It will be up to a Managing General Partner who isn't a buffoon to staff a talented General Manager and Head Coach and, as I mentioned, President of on-court basketball operations and we'll be ready to roll.

I still feel that having to be our best scorer as well as covering Point Guard wore Booker down, leaving him more susceptible to ongoing injury. The same with our (necessary) second best scorer, Warren, who covered Power Forward as a Small Forward. It is up to management to make it as simple as possible (as opposed to complex) to do the job well.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiret...rge-With-Interest-In-Kentavious-Caldwell-Pope

This is hilarious. Houston has Knight, they want KCP. LA wants Ariza. So how is that going to work. Can you imagine that conversation between Magic, James Jones, and Darryl Morey?

Morey: OK, Magic, you take Knight.
Magic: Yeah and you get KCP
JJ: Yeah, Yeah?
Morey and Magic: Now you give the Lakers Ariza.
JJ: OK.
Morey and Magic: Ok, we're done.
JJ: Great!
JJ (10 minutes later): Now, wait a minute!

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I still feel that having to be our best scorer as well as covering Point Guard wore Booker down, leaving him more susceptible to ongoing injury.

How does this work? There have been many players who have been best scorer and PG and they haven't gotten hurt.

I have posted on this board for how many years? And this is the single WORST unsubstantiated argument that I have see from one poster repeated over 100 times. It's hogwash. Booker was getting hurt like this before Point Book. He's just a wee bit injury prone it appears.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
First off, that example was not for a 22 year old with more potential than almost any other 22 year old in the league.

It's just stupid to trade that kind of a player. We have him locked in for 5 years and it is almost a guarantee he will get better, possibly much better over that time.

Using the exception to the rule to try and prove it wrong is stupid by the way. That's like saying I once knew a guy who won the lottery so if I keep playing I am definitely going to win.

Don't get me wrong. I would much rather keep Booker and build around him as a franchise cornerstone. But if the team doesn't turn the corner soon, Booker's frustration is going to boil over, and we risk Booker becoming a malcontent. We are already starting to see signs of that with his shouting match with Ayton the other night. And if we don't get things fully turned around in the next four years such that we are in playoff contention (and right now, that looks to be an iffy proposition at best), Booker bolts at the end of his extended contract, anyway.

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiret...rge-With-Interest-In-Kentavious-Caldwell-Pope

This is hilarious. Houston has Knight, they want KCP. LA wants Ariza. So how is that going to work. Can you imagine that conversation between Magic, James Jones, and Darryl Morey?

Morey: OK, Magic, you take Knight.
Magic: Yeah and you get KCP
JJ: Yeah, Yeah?
Morey and Magic: Now you give the Lakers Ariza.
JJ: OK.
Morey and Magic: Ok, we're done.
JJ: Great!
JJ (10 minutes later): Now, wait a minute!

We gave Knight away for nothing a couple of months ago because we couldn't wait to be rid of him, and now he is what we get back in a trade for Ariza??? Why in God's name would the Suns even consider doing that?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong. I would much rather keep Booker and build around him as a franchise cornerstone. But if the team doesn't turn the corner soon, Booker's frustration is going to boil over, and we risk Booker becoming a malcontent. We are already starting to see signs of that with his shouting match with Ayton the other night. And if we don't get things fully turned around in the next four years such that we are in playoff contention (and right now, that looks to be an iffy proposition at best), Booker bolts at the end of his extended contract, anyway.

You know what, if he actually does become a malcontent that's when you look to trade him. Him getting frustrated at Ayton, just like every other person who has watched Ayton this season is not evidence he is becoming a malcontent now.

I swear you act like you can read the mind of Igor and every player on the Suns. You pretend you know they all can't stand Igor, you pretend Booker is pissed and is ready to bolt. You don't know any of that, it is all in your imagination.

He has made several statements this season that show he is determined to get things turned around as a phoenix Sun. Did you already forget his superteam comments a week and a half ago?

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We gave Knight away for nothing a couple of months ago because we couldn't wait to be rid of him, and now he is what we get back in a trade for Ariza??? Why in God's name would the Suns even consider doing that?

They wouldn't. Only way Houston could be involved is if it somehow became a four way trade.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
You know what, if he actually does become a malcontent that's when you look to trade him. Him getting frustrated at Ayton, just like every other person who has watched Ayton this season is not evidence he is becoming a malcontent now.

I swear you act like you can read the mind of Igor and every player on the Suns. You pretend you know they all can't stand Igor, you pretend Booker is pissed and is ready to bolt. You don't know any of that, it is all in your imagination.

He has made several statements this season that show he is determined to get things turned around as a phoenix Sun. Did you already forget his superteam comments a week and a half ago?

Don't feed him. He just repeats the same takes, over and over, and over, and over, and over, and over. I set him to ignore a long time ago, once I read the same take for like the 100th time in a 3 day span. It's funny reading this forum when an ignored poster posts often, because I have to remove the ignore just to see how the convos make sense.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score

That wasn't an overreaction I' been open to trading him for the last two years. I've never thought of him as a number one player for a winning team, he's a clay Thompson type player at best. SG s are not exactly a hard position to find in the NBA, unless they are a top 3 guard I don't think it's the position you have to build around , PG and C are the ones you build around, if the suns had drafted better over the last few years I wouldn't be saying trade him but not listening to trades is stupid , if you want to not do anything big to acquire possible stars or draft picks then this team with never turn it around because they aren't going to sign anyone without more good players

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Don't feed him. He just repeats the same takes, over and over, and over, and over, and over, and over. I set him to ignore a long time ago, once I read the same take for like the 100th time in a 3 day span. It's funny reading this forum when an ignored poster posts often, because I have to remove the ignore just to see how the convos make sense.
Interestingly enough I see when 1Sun posts and have the option to reveal what he posted. But whomever else I’ve ignored posts I see literally nothing. So many times I see y’all having a conversation with thin air. Their post box doesn’t even show up in the thread for me. I wonder if that means they’re ignoring me too.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That wasn't an overreaction I' been open to trading him for the last two years. I've never thought of him as a number one player for a winning team, he's a clay Thompson type player at best. SG s are not exactly a hard position to find in the NBA, unless they are a top 3 guard I don't think it's the position you have to build around , PG and C are the ones you build around, if the suns had drafted better over the last few years I wouldn't be saying trade him but not listening to trades is stupid , if you want to not do anything big to acquire possible stars or draft picks then this team with never turn it around because they aren't going to sign anyone without more good players
Dude we’ve had 12 first round picks the last 6 years and have multiple first round picks still in our future and you want to jettison proven talent for more draft picks?

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
Dude we’ve had 12 first round picks the last 6 years and have multiple first round picks still in our future and you want to jettison proven talent for more draft picks?
Well I said players or draft picks , preferably both, It depends on the draft pick, like I said previously if Booker got us the first pick for Zion then yes, if it's going to get us a pick somewhere past 5 then no, I don't have confidence in them evaluating talent so if it's not high then it's basically useless for them , that's why I view the Milwaukee pick as basically nothing , you can use Booker to get a better player , the past two years phoenix could have possibly gotten Lillard if they included Booker for instance

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interestingly enough I see when 1Sun posts and have the option to reveal what he posted. But whomever else I’ve ignored posts I see literally nothing. So many times I see y’all having a conversation with thin air. Their post box doesn’t even show up in the thread for me. I wonder if that means they’re ignoring me too.

it doesn't. i figured that out in a convo on Politics forum during the Kavanaugh hearings.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are regular season competitive but it's not like they'
Well I said players or draft picks , preferably both, It depends on the draft pick, like I said previously if Booker got us the first pick for Zion then yes, if it's going to get us a pick somewhere past 5 then no, I don't have confidence in them evaluating talent so if it's not high then it's basically useless for them , that's why I view the Milwaukee pick as basically nothing , you can use Booker to get a better player , the past two years phoenix could have possibly gotten Lillard if they included Booker for instance

Bender was a 4, Jackson was 4, Chriss was an 8 whereas Booker and Warren were drafted in the teens so your logic doesn't really hold up AFAIC.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
How does this work? There have been many players who have been best scorer and PG and they haven't gotten hurt.

I have posted on this board for how many years? And this is the single WORST unsubstantiated argument that I have see from one poster repeated over 100 times. It's hogwash. Booker was getting hurt like this before Point Book. He's just a wee bit injury prone it appears.

In response, your post is vague. Of course there have been scoring Point Guards who haven't gotten hurt. That is a generalization.

But this is about our young star Shooting Guard moved to a new position out of desperation . . . who has gotten hurt. And Krang, especially with his prior history of getting hurt -- more than "a wee bit".

And our Small Forward who has done the same. All to cover up the revolving door of incompetent General Managers and Head Coaches who don't know how to fill or use a roster.

If that weren't the case, we wouldn't be talking about it. Especially as Suns leadership is self-destructing day by day.

If you are tired of reading it, let's get tired of seeing our two top scorers out of commission. Unless, of course, it is rationalization for tanking . . . AGAIN.

Yes, I know the response. The Suns stink so badly, they don't have to tank. That is difficult to root for year after year.

Right now, the Suns have a bigger problem than their record, 4-24 .. .143, the worst in their history at this point. The bull in a china shop is Robert Sarver who, as I also posted, might just be decimating the Suns so he can move them. And, sure enough . . . . . . . . . . . . .

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
They are regular season competitive but it's not like they'

Bender was a 4, Jackson was 4, Chriss was an 8 whereas Booker and Warren were drafted in the teens so your logic doesn't really hold up AFAIC.
So you choose one of the biggest busts in Phoenix history bender and JJ who jury is still out on, I said after 5 so Chriss goes with Booker in that argument, my point is statistically the farther you go from the 1st pick the worse chance you get at a star, not a good player but a star, phoenix doesn't draft good under sarver that's well proven, other teams find good players late but not phoenix let's not act like he finds Booker's every draft, it's normally a Chriss or no one since he used to just sell his picks

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Reported that the Suns have turned down any trade proposal directly with the Lakers unless the Suns get Ball, Ingram, Kuzma or Hart. Ball, Ingram and Kuzma are entirely unrealistic, I am afraid, and Hart just replicates Melton and Okobo, so I don't know why the Suns would even consider an Ariza deal with a return centered around him.

In my opinion, this still doesn't rule out the Lakers getting Ariza in a three-team deal.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you choose one of the biggest busts in Phoenix history bender and JJ who jury is still out on, I said after 5 so Chriss goes with Booker in that argument, my point is statistically the farther you go from the 1st pick the worse chance you get at a star, not a good player but a star, phoenix doesn't draft good under sarver that's well proven, other teams find good players late but not phoenix let's not act like he finds Booker's every draft, it's normally a Chriss or no one since he used to just sell his picks

You are talking out of both sides of your mouth. You're saying trade our 22 year old for players and lower picks and then you're saying we don't draft well under Sarver early or late so picks don't matter.

Why in the world would we move a budding star for picks we can't use? And if you're right that Booker isn't all that, why in the world would any team give us something of value for him? He's ours, right now and he's locked up for 5 more seasons after this one. He shows signs of greatness but it's not all clear. He's injured now, playing for a really bad team so his value is probably as low as it will be for the next decade or so. None of those facts make me want to move away from a dominant player that we already have in house and who wants to be here.

SunnyBaller

All Star
Reaction score
You are talking out of both sides of your mouth. You're saying trade our 22 year old for players and lower picks and then you're saying we don't draft well under Sarver early or late so picks don't matter.

Why in the world would we move a budding star for picks we can't use? And if you're right that Booker isn't all that, why in the world would any team give us something of value for him? He's ours, right now and he's locked up for 5 more seasons after this one. He shows signs of greatness but it's not all clear. He's injured now, playing for a really bad team so his value is probably as low as it will be for the next decade or so. None of those facts make me want to move away from a dominant player that we already have in house and who wants to be here.
I don't think you're understanding my point at all, first off I already said I want good players in a trade I only said draft picks if it gets someone like zion, sarver screws up most picks but it's harder to screw up the higher you draft, statistically , doesn't mean it's not a gamble especially with him, his value is high because of people like you and many others who see him as a budding star, I don't view him as a star, he's maybe a top 10 SG after what 4 years now, I'll through out this scenario for you, let's say phoenix gets the 2nd pick in the draft, they do a trade with Booker and get the 1st pick as well , would you rather have Booker or go with some additional player or something and Zion and Barret?

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score

When competent people were running the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser